PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: Spell durations and initiative-screwing effects

NNescio
2011-04-09, 05:11 AM
How exactly do spell durations interact with effects that change the initiative count of the caster? If I cast a spell on, say, Initiative Count 17, for example, does it gain an Initiative Count of 17 as well? So if I delay my turn later (or 'gain' another turn due to White Raven Tactics), does the spell resolve as though my Initiative Count is still 17?

Does the same apply to summoned monsters? Do they retain my earlier Initiative Count at the time of their summoning?

Curmudgeon
2011-04-09, 09:48 AM
Yes, spell durations stay the same even if your initiative number changes. So any spell will expire some number of rounds later, just before the initiative position used when it was cast. Similarly, summoned monsters act on your old turn in the initiative order.

NNescio
2011-04-10, 04:00 PM
Yes, spell durations stay the same even if your initiative number changes. So any spell will expire some number of rounds later, just before the initiative position used when it was cast. Similarly, summoned monsters act on your old turn in the initiative order.

I see, thanks. I suppose the same applies to spells which force an ongoing save on the caster's 'turn', like Grease?

Also, if a summoned monster delays its turn, than for all practical purposes it loses a round (of summoning-duration) right?