PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] The Feat "Expertise"?

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 01:30 PM
I am participating in a one-off eventually where one of my players in my 4e session group has challenged our group to make 3.5e characters at CL20 and try to break the game, while he, within RAW guidelines, will in turn try to kill us all.

The build I will be using is the Aptitude Crit Fisher build designed to get nearly infinite attacks. This requires the Prestige Class "Disciple of Dispater" (Book of Vile Darkness pg. 60), which in turn lists a requirement for entrance of "Expertise". I have found the feats "Combat Expertise" and "Weapon Expertise", but I have not found anything simply called "Expertise". Does anyone know what this is referring to? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Doc Roc
2011-04-09, 01:31 PM
Expertise is a 3.0 feat, actually. Let me know if you want a bit of build help.

Reluctance
2011-04-09, 01:37 PM
Expertise is the 3.0 name for Combat Expertise.

As a heads up, though, 3.5 went out of its way to limit crit-stacking options. Grandfathering in 3.0 tricks might not be the wisest thing to do.

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 01:38 PM
Is BoVD a 3.0 splatbook? Because everything else I have related to critting is from 3.5e books for sure. And thanks, good to know they're the same feat (I had to take Combat Expertise anyway as a prereq for Lightning Mace).

SuperFish
2011-04-09, 01:43 PM
BoVD is in fact 3.0, so it might not be the best choice for what you're trying to do.

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 01:49 PM
Asked my DM, he said it was alright, since he is also making use of a thing or two from 3e to try and kill us with.

Doc Roc
2011-04-09, 03:01 PM
Bears mention (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d).

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 05:24 PM
Okay, to sidetrack the original reason I posted the thread, I have determined the final build for the char, mostly. The final class mix I decided on was Ranger 2/Fighter 2/Monk 1/Swashbuckler 1/Warblade 6/Disciple of Dispater 8. I have the whole Two-Weapon Fighting Line, Roundabout Kick, Lightning Mace and Circle Kick, among other things. I also have a Warblade strike that lets me use a full-attack on a charge, and I have the Blood in the Water Stance.

Does anyone suggestions for item selection? I currently have a +6 Headband of Intelligence, a +6 Belt of Giant Strength, a +6 Periapt of Wisdom, +6 Gloves of Dexterity and a +5 Cloak of Resistance, in addition to two +4 Axiomatic Aptitude Kukris and two +4 Light Maces (in case we get AMF'd and I cannot take advantage of Aptitude temporarily). My armor is +2 Mithral Shirt of Undead Controlling - I am especially in interested in something better and more helpful than this for my armor slot.

JaronK
2011-04-09, 05:28 PM
Since you're going so crit heavy, consider Enfeebling (+1 enchantment, all crits do 1d6+2 str damage, and it works on crit immunes). Also, if you could go undead, making them into Lifedrinker Kukris would help a lot (2 negative levels per hit!).

I'm not sure the point of those Light Maces... the +4 does nothing in an AMF anyway, and you still have the nice crit bonuses with your Kukris.

JaronK

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 05:30 PM
Since you're going so crit heavy, consider Enfeebling (+1 enchantment, all crits do 1d6+2 str damage, and it works on crit immunes). Also, if you could go undead, making them into Lifedrinker Kukris would help a lot (2 negative levels per hit!).

I'm not sure the point of those Light Maces... the +4 does nothing in an AMF anyway, and you still have the nice crit bonuses with your Kukris.

JaronK

What books are those enhancements in? I'll see if my group has them.

Also, good point. Maybe some non-magical ones, as back-ups. And I'll use my Aptitude class feature on my Kukris too, also for back-up (although it is not as all-encompassing).

JaronK
2011-04-09, 06:42 PM
Enfeebling: BoED. Lifedrinker: DMG.

JaronK

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-09, 09:41 PM
Enfeebling: BoED. Lifedrinker: DMG.

JaronK

Thanks. I cannot use Lifedrinker, since I am neither a construct or undead, nor can I use Greataxes, but that Enfeebling enchantment is the perfect complement to my build.