PDA

View Full Version : (3.P) Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 03:20 PM
So... Champions of Ruin, page 48. Suddenly, this prestige class is a lot more attractive when I first picked up the book.It seems like a quite decent archery PrC. Honestly, I cant think of one better in 3.5

Has anyone used this class? what was your experience? What is (in your opinion) the best entry into this class?

Thanks in advance!

Aemoh87
2011-04-09, 03:52 PM
I love this class and i have used it as a boss before. But my advise is ENTER QUICKLY. It is a well built PrC but the skills can make is tricky to enter. You almost have to go ranger. It's the only way to get the BAB and the skills. I haven't thought of any other way.

As for making the build good, there is a ton you can do since this is such a well rounded prestige class. But at the same time this is not the best archer build in the game, even though I would say it is my favorite since there is so much it can do and it is very fun. I especially like how it is not built completely towards combat (which is how almost all builds are judged). This PrC puts the Assassin PrC to shame.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 03:57 PM
Ive been trying to think of a way to make a stealthy, sneak attack-y ranged build, and this seems to be the best way... I just looked, and i think that you could make it in quite easily with a level 8 Wilderness rogue as well as Ranger 6.

Now i just have to decide which...

Aemoh87
2011-04-09, 04:05 PM
The problem with the wilderness rogue entry is some of the best features will be even further away... aka Steady Hand and Hide in Plain Sight.

To bad there isn't a ranger/rogue stacking feat :(

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 04:13 PM
The problem with the wilderness rogue entry is some of the best features will be even further away... aka Steady Hand and Hide in Plain Sight.

To bad there isn't a ranger/rogue stacking feat :(

you have no idea how much I have wanted that mythical feat in the past. No idea.

nyarlathotep
2011-04-09, 06:07 PM
I love this class and i have used it as a boss before. But my advise is ENTER QUICKLY. It is a well built PrC but the skills can make is tricky to enter. You almost have to go ranger. It's the only way to get the BAB and the skills. I haven't thought of any other way.

In pathfinder crossclass skills no longer have the 1/2 limit so the skills are a non-issue. Though if you are playing pathfinder the requirements should all be lowered by 3 ranks do to the limit being your character level rather than level +3.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 06:36 PM
In pathfinder crossclass skills no longer have the 1/2 limit so the skills are a non-issue. Though if you are playing pathfinder the requirements should all be lowered by 3 ranks do to the limit being your character level rather than level +3.

Yeah, I am aware of the tweaks necessary for pathfinder play. Anyone have any ideas of how to optimize this a bit? Im playing in a group with two clerics and druid... the druid may change to a duelist, we shall see.

Aemoh87
2011-04-09, 09:30 PM
Optimization is really hard with this class. My honest opinion. Mercantile Background if you can since you need a bunch of utility items. Predator Cloak, Deadly precision bow.

I really like merciful strike [ambush feat], since it allows you to be a better man hunter if your playing humanoid heavy camp.

Dead eye from Dragon Comp is a must, remember the errata so you can actually qualify for the feat (makes it BAB +1).

In reality if any of the three players optimize your in trouble. Cleric is still a better archer than you. Really this class is best when playing a roleplay heavy group since it has so much utility and options.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 09:42 PM
Optimization is really hard with this class. My honest opinion. Mercantile Background if you can since you need a bunch of utility items. Predator Cloak, Deadly precision bow.

I really like merciful strike [ambush feat], since it allows you to be a better man hunter if your playing humanoid heavy camp.

Dead eye from Dragon Comp is a must, remember the errata so you can actually qualify for the feat (makes it BAB +1).

In reality if any of the three players optimize your in trouble. Cleric is still a better archer than you. Really this class is best when playing a roleplay heavy group since it has so much utility and options.

Well... one of them is alright at optimization. He is power attacking with a spear though. Point is , I am the best optimizer in our group, and I wanted a challenge... Justice of Weald and Woe seems to be that, and fulfill my parties need for a semi-skill monkey and a ranged character.

Aemoh87
2011-04-09, 09:45 PM
Well... one of them is alright at optimization. He is power attacking with a spear though. Point is , I am the best optimizer in our group, and I wanted a challenge... Justice of Weald and Woe seems to be that, and fulfill my parties need for a semi-skill monkey and a ranged character.

Try to be the supremely prepared ultimate utility character that no one can escape. Another trick is realize that your a skill monkey but you need the items to support your party with your skills. If you jump a gap you need a way to get your party over. Focus on ideas like that.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-09, 09:55 PM
excellent advice, thank you. I'll try to keep it in mind. NOw i just need to work out a build...