PDA

View Full Version : What happens when Tarquin and co. conquer the Western Continent?

paladinofshojo
2011-04-09, 08:54 PM
Just out of curiosity but what will happen when the three shadow empires expand to a point where they collectively rule every habitable inch of the Continent besides the Elven lands? Will they stop conquering and just settle for what they accomplished or just start expanding beyond the reaches of their geographical boundaries?

Would they also continue to set up puppets to rule as monarchs? Since at this point it won't matter anymore because they are not expanding their kingdoms and therefore do not need to cover up the whole scheme.

My bet is that Tarquin would just peacefully rule his slice of the land until he gets bored with it or dies....

HappyBlanket
2011-04-09, 09:30 PM
They (Tarquin and co.) won't be able to manage too much land. I suspect they'll settle for the rest of the continent, then drain it of it's resources and people to sustain their luxury.

They would use puppets, if only to divert assassins and contempt.

So, in short, Tarquin will rule "peacefully." Sure he'll still be capturing slaves, maiming/burning people for entertainment, murdering his wives, abusing a facade of a legal system, and ruling from the shadows to permit himself a life of luxury, but at least the warfare might die down a little.

Unless he gets bored again.

NerfTW
2011-04-09, 09:47 PM
Just out of curiosity but what will happen when the three shadow empires expand to a point where they collectively rule every habitable inch of the Continent besides the Elven lands? Will they stop conquering and just settle for what they accomplished or just start expanding beyond the reaches of their geographical boundaries?

Would they also continue to set up puppets to rule as monarchs? Since at this point it won't matter anymore because they are not expanding their kingdoms and therefore do not need to cover up the whole scheme.

My bet is that Tarquin would just peacefully rule his slice of the land until he gets bored with it or dies....

Really? He pretty much explains that exact question when Elan asks it. Go back and read the strip.

They won't reveal their scheme, or that will bring the power of bigger nations, such as the elves, down on them. They would continue the three warring nations scam until they all die of old age, at which point they will reveal the scheme, becoming legends. Until then, they'd just bask in power and riches with no real threats.

Milo v3
2011-04-10, 06:41 AM
What will happen you ask.:smallconfused:

Elan will run in to save the day from the oppression of the Tyrant Tarquin. Then as leader of the Rebels he will proclaimed their king, but he will decline.

This is just my guess though. And Tarquin would probably be fine with it as it is very theatrical.

Ancalagon
2011-04-10, 06:54 AM
I doubt that happens. Unless the entire thing is resolved in the current arc, Tarquin is probably left to the epilogue.

Dalek-K
2011-04-10, 12:44 PM
I doubt that happens. Unless the entire thing is resolved in the current arc, Tarquin is probably left to the epilogue.

Just the way Tarquin wants it >;)

Ancalagon
2011-04-10, 01:16 PM
Yepp.

Right now, I really have no opinion or preference if Tarquin gets defeated in this arc or if it left for "later" - to show that the world has been saved but not EVERYTHING is resolved and fine.

Given Tarquin's speech it could very well be Karma bites into his butt and the Order kills him in some sewer - and noone ever knows he was the actual ruler of the empire or where he left to.

Swordpriest
2011-04-10, 01:52 PM
So far as I can tell, they already control most of the continent. However, they encourage instability and warfare so that they can keep changing rulers so that none of their puppets get too strong.

Mutant Sheep
2011-04-10, 01:54 PM
I'm hoping they all die so Mr. Scruffy and the island orc tribe are the only survivors in the world. Giggles shall rule the world!

t209
2011-04-10, 02:13 PM
Here's my theory how this arc will end (either when Tarquin control the continent or not)..
Massive Slave Rebellion, Citizen Revolution and Independence Movement across the western continent.
A random guy declare him self as "Elected Autocrat" (will either be Benevolent Dictator or Napoleon from Animal Farm).
Built an army larger than hobgoblins (Zerg Rush) for liberation of Azure City (for international fame).

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-11, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure I quite get this line of thinking. Antagonists that aren't Team Evil or the Linear Guild have to either be confined to a single arc or the epilogue? Will the IFCC be resolved in the epilogue? Miko was finished in two arcs, so why can't the same be true for Tarquin?

IMO, he's being built up way too much to be left for the epilogue.

Thanatosia
2011-04-11, 01:13 AM
IMO, he's being built up way too much to be left for the epilogue.
The nature of his build up suggests it's highly likely his story will have to wait till the Order of the Stick finishes it's mission. It's not totally impossible he'll somehow be resolved in the immediate future, but I doubt it - and I just don't see the Order coming back to deal with him if they move on from his empire until the Gates thing is resolved.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-11, 01:19 AM
I'd say it's pretty obvious he is involved with the Gates (even if only indirectly), what with his knowledge of Girard. I'm willing to bet money that the Order will have to defeat Tarquin in order to continue their mission.

EDIT: But now I think I get it. It seems some people are putting Tarquin in the same category as Kubota and the Thieves' Guild, who probably are "current arc or the epilogue" material (well, Kubota definitely was).

It may seem practical for the Order to save Tarquin for later, but this is a story, not real life. (And not Tarquin's story, as he likes to think.)

aldeayeah
2011-04-11, 10:19 AM
The obvious answer is a 1984-like scenario... perennial war among them, the two weaker factions against the stronger one, and then, whenever the power balance changes, a change of allegiances.

"We're in war with the Empire of Tears. We have always been in war with the Empire of Tears..."

slayerx
2011-04-11, 10:26 AM
It was pretty much explained that they will stop expanding once they own the non-elven propotion of the continent... Expanding their empire's takes time and effort and the whole point is so that they can each live a life of luxury for a few decades. Futharmore continuing to expand might encourage the elves or someone to attack them and take away the empires they worked so hard to build

really the only question is whether or not they would continue to use puppets which i would expect they might just so they have to worry less about assassins and any resistance or rebels that might pop up... afterall one thing that taquin is smart enough to know is that you don't have to wear the king's crown to live like a king and rule the way you want... honestly for him putting on the crown would serve no purpose other than putting an added target on him