PDA

View Full Version : Chronomancy?! (3.x spells)

The-Mage-King
2011-04-09, 10:42 PM
Originally designed by an ancient wizard who felt the icy grip of age on his throat, the Chronological adjustment line of spells has found use by many- the temporary adjustment spells have been used by a number of young mages trying to get a drink or avoid entanglements with someone looking for them, and the permanent adjustment is used by folks with a similar problem to the original creator.

If these spells are used as part of a disguise, they negate the penalty for attempting to diguise as a being of a different age category.

Temporary Chronological Adjustment, Advanced
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: One round
Range: Touch
Targets: One living humanoid or monstrous humanoid touched
Duration: 1 hour/2 levels
Saving Throw: Fort negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

By abusing the time stream, you temporarily adjust a living creature's age. For the duration of this spell, the touched creature is treated as though it was one age category older and appears to be so as well. The creature does not gain any mental ability bonuses from this advancement, but does receive the modification to his physical ability scores from advancing an age category. The effects of advancing an age category are negated when the duration expires. A creature may not be advanced more than one age category with this spell. If a venerable creature is advanced in age category with this spell, his Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores are each reduced by 4 points.
This spell negates and counters Regressed Temporary Chronological Adjustment.

Temporary Chronological Adjustment, Regressed
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: One round
Targets: One living humanoid or monstrous humanoid touched
Duration: 1 hour/2 levels

By abusing the time stream, you temporarily adjust a living creature's age. For the duration of this spell, the touched creature is treated as though it was one age category younger, and appears to be so as well. The creature's mental ability scores are unaffected by this reduction, but it does receive the modification to physical ability scores from being reduced one age category. The effects of be reduced an age category are negated when the duration expires. A creature may not be reduced more than one age category with this spell. A creature cannot be reduced below the adult age category with this spell.
This spell negates and counters Advanced Temporary Chronological Adjustment.

Chronological Adjustment, Permanent
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Components: V, S, XP, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Targets: One living or dead humanoid or monstrous humanoid touched
Duration: Instantaneous

Your meddling with the time stream has reached its apex. When you cast this spell, the target creature permanently increases or decreases in age by one age category, making its functional age be set to the midpoint of that age category. Unlike normal aging, an affected creature's mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) do not change from this. Physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) change normally. A creature may not be affected by this spell more than once.

If this spell is cast on a creature that died of old age, and you reduce its age category, that creature may be raised normally.

XP cost: 500 xp, plus 2,500 gp worth of specially prepared reagants, herbs, and jade per HD of target creature. The material components must be brewed into a potion that is then drunk by or poured into the mouth of the target.

So, what do you think? Messing around with age categories is something I've been thinking about for a while now, and it could be a useful set of spells, no?

The-Mage-King
2011-04-10, 10:55 AM
No comments yet? A shame.

And the previous post was 12 hours ago, not 12 minutes.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-10, 11:16 AM
The 9th level spell is a bit borked, if you ask me. Lets say a 17th level Wizard casts it. That means they would have to pay 1000+(500*17)XP. That's 9500xp. In comparison, a Wish costs nearly half.
But otherwise, cool stuff.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-10, 11:24 AM
The 9th level spell is a bit borked, if you ask me. Lets say a 17th level Wizard casts it. That means they would have to pay 1000+(500*17)XP. That's 9500xp. In comparison, a Wish costs nearly half.
But otherwise, cool stuff.

Hm... Well, I was balancing the fact that they're messing around with the time stream with a massive xp cost, but I see what you mean.

I'll change some of that to Gp worth of reagents, various herbs, and... somethinig else.

There. I spent about five minutes seeing what would work for making a joke about "Elixir of Immortality", and then used jade.

Reduced the initial xp cost as well.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-10, 11:55 AM
That's much better, although you didn't really need to reduce the initial XP Cost, just the HD cost.
At least people don't have to play an Elan or a Necropolitan or even......a Lich *shudder* in order to be immortal.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-10, 11:57 AM
That's much better, although you didn't really need to reduce the initial XP Cost, just the HD cost.
At least people don't have to play an Elan or a Necropolitan or even......a Lich *shudder* in order to be immortal.

Oh, they do. That spell just makes them reduced one age category.

After all...

A creature may not be affected by this spell more than once.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-10, 12:22 PM
I didn't read that. Oh well. Elan aren't that bad.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 12:25 PM
Originally designed by an ancient wizard who felt the icy grip of age on his throat, the Chronological adjustment line of spells has found use by many- the temporary adjustment spells have been used by a number of young mages trying to get a drink or avoid entanglements with someone looking for them, and the permanent adjustment is used by folks with a similar problem to the original creator.

This is what I love about wizards.

"HEY JIMMY, I researched a spell that allows me to alter the very fabric of time!"

"Cool! Let's age up and get drunk... legally!"

The-Mage-King
2011-04-10, 12:29 PM
This is what I love about wizards.

"HEY JIMMY, I researched a spell that allows me to alter the very fabric of time!"

"Cool! Let's age up and get drunk... legally!"

Exactly!*

*Please note that I have a quota of "Lol" replies I need for each homebrew, and I am not above making cheap references and/or jokes to get them.

bloodtide
2011-04-10, 12:55 PM
The spells look good, except:

1.Does the spell have a visible effect? Does the person look exactly the same, just 'treated' as a different age? Or does the spell change the appearance of the effect creature?

To use the teen example: If a teen were to cast this spell, would they just get the effects of an adult body, or would their body change to look like an adult body and get the effects?

2.Why a Will save? This spell is not effecting a persons mind at all. This spell is purely physical. So why not a fortitude save?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 12:57 PM
To use the teen example: If a teen were to cast this spell, would they just get the effects of an adult body, or would their body change to look like an adult body and get the effects?

Given the flavor text, I'd assume so. And it's pretty clear that given the fact that the temporal advancement tags them with the physical age maluses, the body would appear older.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-10, 12:59 PM
The spells look good, except:

1.Does the spell have a visible effect? Does the person look exactly the same, just 'treated' as a different age? Or does the spell change the appearance of the effect creature?

Yes, it does. I should add that to the spells.

2.Why a Will save? This spell is not effecting a persons mind at all. This spell is purely physical. So why not a fortitude save?

I was thinking because of morphic resonance, and the fact that thought determines shape, butt your idea is better. Will be fixed.

DarkSunLord1
2011-04-13, 06:12 PM
Speaking of chronomancy, there is a pdf on Rpgnow.com called "Chronomancer: Time Travel For Everyone". It is extremely extensive, containing everything from base classes to npcs. The pdf not only has magic, but also psionics, and not in small amounts.

AND NO I AM NOT ADVERTISING! I JUST ENJOY IT A LOT!

Garryl
2011-04-13, 09:22 PM
I was about to ask about true dragons and how they benefit significantly from aging, but then I saw the targeting line, "One living humanoid or monstrous humanoid touched." Props to you for closing that loophole before it opened.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-14, 01:03 PM
I was about to ask about true dragons and how they benefit significantly from aging, but then I saw the targeting line, "One living humanoid or monstrous humanoid touched." Props to you for closing that loophole before it opened.

Oh yeah. I made these a few months ago, for teh lulz, and then noticed that loophole just before I posted them.

Zaydos
2011-04-15, 01:57 AM

Oh yeah. I made these a few months ago, for teh lulz, and then noticed that loophole just before I posted them.

There actually was a 2e spell that did the same thing... except it very specifically worked on dragons. I always wanted to try it out (it was in the 2e Tome of Magic).

That said these spells look neat, though game mechanically they're a little weak for their level one should not be messing with the time stream before at least 9th level so I wouldn't change it. I'd probably use the last one since I don't enjoy going necropolitan or elan (which XPH does in fact list a maximum age for, it's just in the thousands).

Milo v3
2011-04-15, 07:51 AM
These will work perfectly with one of my Players. He is a Human Wizard who seeks imortality. I'm make these spells in an Ancient Tome with Temporal Stasis and similar spells and make it the reward for a Quest.

Just a question. What "Do you think" would happen if you used one of these spells to make a Newesti (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/True_Elf_(3.5e_Race)) past the age of 700 or revert them back to being younger than 700.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-15, 12:22 PM
These will work perfectly with one of my Players. He is a Human Wizard who seeks imortality. I'm make these spells in an Ancient Tome with Temporal Stasis and similar spells and make it the reward for a Quest.

Just a question. What "Do you think" would happen if you used one of these spells to make a Newesti (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/True_Elf_(3.5e_Race)) past the age of 700 or revert them back to being younger than 700.

For the first thing, recall that the last one can't be used on one creature more than once. As for your question.... I'd rule that it doesn't stop the transformation, because that's an aspect of their time in the world, not their physical age. Though I would say that they do de-age to be younger physically.

Milo v3
2011-04-15, 06:12 PM
For the first thing, recall that the last one can't be used on one creature more than once. As for your question.... I'd rule that it doesn't stop the transformation, because that's an aspect of their time in the world, not their physical age. Though I would say that they do de-age to be younger physically.

I know that it can be only used once. But he will still see it as a Huge Milestone on the way to Immortality. And thanks for the Newesti help:smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2011-04-15, 09:41 PM
There actually was a 2e spell that did the same thing... except it very specifically worked on dragons. I always wanted to try it out (it was in the 2e Tome of Magic).

"This guy's not worth enough XP. Quick, age up the li'l bugger so I can at least make boots out of him!"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-17, 11:01 AM

The-Mage-King, Poke-buddy, this is your homebrew. What makes you think people wont mod. it in their games if they want too?