PDA

View Full Version : Making a Legacy Shield

gallagher
2011-04-10, 01:05 PM
Hey all,

my DM has approached the party, telling us that we can make each of our respective weapons into personalized legacy-style weapons. they will of course be progressing in value over the course of the campaign.

problem for me, i am a cleric persisting Holy Sword on my weapon, thus making it a +5 Holy Morningstar. i dont own Weapons of Legacy, so i dont know if Holy Sword overrides legacy abilities (since holy sword overrides any magical abilities already on teh weapon)

we are gestalted, so i have my other side as a fighter/paladin. thanks to the fighter, i got myself a tower shield. i asked the DM if i could make my tower shield my legacy item, since in the campaign i am the defending-style character, and he gave me the OK

so since i dont have the legacy weapons book, i dont know where to go from there. do you guys have any suggestions? i have parrying shield, and thus a much better touch AC, and suggested that one of the abilities could be that any time a ranged-touch spell targeted me but failed, that it becomes reflected back at the caster (kind of like a Mirror Shield)

Darrin
2011-04-10, 05:36 PM
Legacy items stink. For the same investment, you can get a much better item that doesn't stink and doesn't force you to give up BAB, saves, or HP.

If you want something that feels "legacy" but doesn't suck up resources to *nerf* your own character, then I'd recommend looking at the Ancestral Relic feat (Book of Exalted Deeds p. 39). This allows you to sacrifice loot to add enchantments to your chosen item. The best part is you don't have to take any magic item crafter feats to do this, and you get 100% of the market value of the items sacrificed, so you don't have to turn in your loot for 50% of the market price or then pay someone else 200% of the crafting price to enchant your shield.

As far as shields go, I'd probably start with what The Rabbler is calling his surfboard of force (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5).

This other shield managed to get a much cooler name: Facehugger Fleshgrinder Frisbee (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10715874&postcount=14).

Thiyr
2011-04-10, 05:47 PM
While certainly not at the top end of power, legacy items can be useful...if you design them yourself. The stuff in the books ended up kinda underwhelming, but with the custom creation rules, you can make something that works fairly well (Better still if your DM is willing to work with you and expand on the list of things they give you with other, similar stuff). Specifically for shields, I'd say try to find the book first and foremost to look through the various options there. I can't remember much of it offhand, but I know one of note for me was mirror image a few times a day, which really isn't anything to sneeze at.