PDA

View Full Version : The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [18/32 Gladiators]

Pages : [1] 2

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 01:24 PM
An Introduction

What is this?

A Fight to the death! Dwarf, Human, Elf, and countless other creatures locked in Mortal Combat!
Arrows Flying! Swords Slashing! Blood and Guts Spread Across the Arena Floor!

To what end?

Countless Riches? No
Honor? Glory? Fame? Perhaps
To be recognized as the strongest, fastest, or cleverest? Most Assuredly
But most importantly, to earn the title:

CHAMPION OF THE ARENA

You'll be the best! Songs will be song about your skills in the ring! Your name will never be forgotten!

At least until the next tournament...

Who came up with this?

It wasn't me, I assure you! In fact, it was our lovely friends at the SomethingAwful forums who deserve the credit.
One Bard, in particular, deserves high praise indeed!
He is the Founder of the Fight, the Mediator of Discord, the Grand Master himself!

Vox Nihili

We are but feint imitators in comparison

What Format Will the Tournaments Take?

There are many possibilities: Single-Elimination, Double Elimination, Round Robin, etc. It could be Team based, or a Free For All!. The format for any particular tournament will be decided by the Arena Master beforehand.

How many people can join a tournament?

It Depends on the format and how much interest there is! However, typical sizes are 16, 32, or 64.

How do I join?

It's easy! Usually you'll just have to post a message declaring your interest, and include your Gladiator's name and race!

I don't know much about Dwarf Fortress. What race is best? What Weapons and Armor should I use?

Only the base essentials are provided in the thread. Since this is competitive, its up to you to figure out whats best. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread or on the forums. A good source of information is the Dwarf fortress wiki found at http://df.magmawiki.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview and Rules
These Rules( including the point system ) were originally developed by the esteemed Vox Nihili at the SomethingAwful forums

The Arena Master

The Arena Master runs the tournament. His or Her duties are extensive. They include, but are not limited to, the following: Maintaning and updating these rules, recruitment, running the battles and writing commentary, and settling all disputes that may arise in a just and timely manner. It is essential that the Arena Master remain fair and unbiased. I, Sarco Phage, shall be the Arena Master of this tournament. I plan not to eat any flesh, regardless of my name.

Joining as a Gladiator

Before the start of a tournament the Arena Master will decide on the tournament format, including whether or not a gladiator's skills and equipment will be known to all or kept secret. The first is called a Open Tournament and the latter is called a Blind tournament. The tournament format will also dictate the number of gladiators who may join, or at least a series of upper limits. For example, in a single elimination tournament typical sizes are 16, 32, 64, etc. In order to join, all you must do is announce your intention to join in this thread, along with your Gladiator's name and race. If its an open tournament, you will need to post your skills and equipment purchases in the thread before the start of the first match, while in a blind tournament you must send them directly to the Arena Master.
In the event that too many Gladiators wish to spill their blood, the Arena Master may, at his or her discretion: extend the joining period, deny entry outright to the extra combatants, or call for a battle royal to decide who gets the final spot in the tournament. It's first come first serve*, so sign up as early as possible.

*In future tournaments, gladiators who fought in the preceding tournament will have the right-of-way, and a non-random seeding system may be implemented.

About the Tournament

The subsequent post will lay out the details of the current tournament, including whether or not it will be an open or blind tournament, what system it will follow(Single-Elimination, Round Robin, etc.), whether or not its a team game, etc. If there is something that is not clear, please ask.

The Arena

The fighting will take place in the center ring that can be found in arena mode. Constestants will be placed opposite each other, on the east and west sides of the ring.

http://imgur.com/HX6XB.jpg

The Version

The newest version of DF will be used assuming combat and other relevant game mechanics weren't broken. The same version will be used throughout the tournament. The version being used for the current tournament will be listed in the Tournament overview in the next post.

Gladiator Generation

The Races

The most important decision you'll have to make before the start of the tournament is what race your gladiator will be. Which race you chose will determine what equipment you can use, how much damage you can inflict, grant you special abilities, or even extra limbs.
Your race will also determine how many points you get to spend on equipment and skills before each round. This is mainly for balance reasons, but also to represent smaller creatures cleverness.
The most important distinction between the races, besides the points they receive, is their size. Size effects the amount of damage they will inflict*, and their ability to knock their opponent over. Gladiators that have been knocked over have a nasty tendency to get pulverized(unless they are wearing some nice armor), and is thus a position you'll wish to avoid. Thus, the ability to dodge out of the way is often a crucial skill for smaller players to have. For this reason, races classified as "tiny" get a 20% reduction in the price of dodging skills while races classified as "huge" must pay 20% more.
*smaller creatures can generally match their larger counterparts in slashing and stabbing attacks, but bigger opponents are much better at bashing and punching
Some of the more fanciful races have different or extra appendages compared to your average humanoid. This may allow them to wield extra weaponry or armor, but it also may mean they can't use certain items. These differences are listed under the special abilities category.
All creatures have attributes that can affect their performance in battle: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance, Disease Resistance, and Recuperation. Your creatures attributes are determined by the amount of skill they have, but are distributed randomly. However, many of the different races have innate modifiers to certain attributes, which may give them an edge in battle.

Races may also have special abilities. For instance, many of the animal-like races can bite in unarmed combat.

http://imgur.com/fHq99.jpg

Points are the life blood any worthy gladiator. The way you spend them will determine your success in the ring.
As stated in the previous section, the amount of points you get to spend before the tournament depends on your gladiator's race. If you manage to win a match, you will earn the same amount of points to spend on the next round. You do not have to spend any points to heal yourself.
You may spend points on Equipment and Skills, which are summarized below.

Skills

Your gladiator can purchase skills before the start of each round. Skills can be upgraded as many as 14 times, the first level being Novice and the last being Grand Master.
The first level of each skill is assigned a base price, and the price of each subsequent level is equal to the base price of the skill multiplied by the level of the skill you are purchasing. For example, if your gladiator was a Level 2("Adequate") fighter and wished to purchase the 4th level, it would cost 3 * 3 + 3 * 4 f= 9 points. 3 is the base cost and does not change, multiplied by the levels to be purchased. Note that the cost is cumulative: you must buy all the preceding levels!
What each skill does is fairly self explanatory. Please go to the Dwarf Fortress wiki or ask on the forums if you are unfamiliar with any particular skill.

http://imgur.com/1ZDD9.jpg

Equipment

As you've probably surmised, your gladiator will be able to purchase an assortment of equipment, made out of various materials, to wield in the arena. Equipment can be divided up into two categories: Weapons and Armor.

Note that you cannot make weapons, shields or bucklers, out of leather.

You may sell back equipment before each round for half its original value. You may NOT sell skills back.

A longsword has a base price of 24; if its made of of steel, which has a "cost multiplier" of 4, the total value will be 96 points.

Materials

Materials have gotten complicated in Dwarf Fortress of late. In terms of combat, though, materials have 3 primary properties: Weight, Edge, and Stopping Power. [I take no credit for this chart, its taken directly from the SA thread]

http://imgur.com/Bvr6n.png

Weapons

Weapons and Shields(including bucklers), are held in your gladiator's hands. Depending on the race, it may take one-hand or 2-hands to wield any particular object, or they may not be able to wield it at all. Please look at the Race table for a summary. Unless you are fighting unarmed, you should try to use all your hands in combat. Once again, if you have any questions about the abilities a weapon or piece of armor, please feel free to ask, but check the wiki first.

Bows come with 35 free arrows and Crossbows with 35 free bolts and are the same material as the ranged weapon.

http://imgur.com/D06zh.jpg

ARMOR

Generally, you can only wear one of any type of armor. Think in terms of body parts, and test your combination out in dwarf fortress to see if it works. If you (or I) notice a problem after the current round is underway, it can't be fixed until the current round is over. For example, you can't wear both leggings and greaves or low boots and high boots at the same time. There are two exceptions though: you may wear a leather cap under a helm, and you may wear a (non-leather) mail shirt under a breast plate. Gloves, Gauntlets and boots come in sets of two. Also note that shields take up a hand-slot, and aren't worn as such. Shields may also be used as weapons and are dependent on the Misc. object skill.

http://imgur.com/PdL2Q.jpg

Google Document
All the rules and spreadsheets are available as a Google document. Check it out here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmCZedymX32wdDBVX3hXMHUzamo5WkRfX2pDQjVQN Wc&hl=en&authkey=CKC3xsAO If you find any errors please tell me.

Conclusion
That *should* cover everything. A summary and overview are covered in the next post. In the future, there will be an additional History section where past tournaments will be recorded, and perhaps a gladiator history as well space permitting. What follows is a history of the rule changes. Right now, it only shows the modifications I made to the SA rules.

Rule Changes

From SA 2nd edition
-Divided all the point values by 5. I think its easier, and also gives our version a different look.
-Reduced Dodging penalty and bonuses to huge and tiny creatures respectively from 25% to 20%. I did this to remove the fraction that popped when I divided everything by 5, but also because tiny creatures get waay more points than huge ones.
-Your leftover points are now doubled for the next round! Two reasons: 1. It gives you another choice. You may endanger your gladiator in the current round in hopes of being stronger in the next. 2. Left over points often are of the fractional form. Doubling them may make them whole for the next round.

------

Prize

The winning gladiator/s gets enshrined forever with a portrait and a little pixel-art trophy the manager of said gladiator can wear in his signature.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 01:26 PM
Settings
Format: Tag Elimination
Open - Skills, Equipment Choices are public knowledge
Initial Seeding: Random
Initial Teammate will not be known until after your skills and equipments are set. Ditto for your initial opponents.
Number of Participants: 32
Version: 0.31.25

Bracket
{table=head]Teams | Elimination Round | Quarter-Finals | Semi-Finals | Finals
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
_|_|_|_|_
[/table]

Exhibitions
Match 1: Five on Three Duel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10754721#post10754721)
Match 2: The Gauntlet Part 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10759873#post10759873)

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 01:27 PM
{table=head]Manager|Name|Race|Equipment|Skills|Points
Sir|Sir|Kobold|Plt.Hmmr, Stl.Hlm|Ddg 5 Hmmr 4|18
Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll|Antennae|Antman|2x Irn.Dggr, 2x Irn.Shld, Stl.Hlm|Ddg 2, Knf 2, Ft 2 Shld 3|0
Necroticplague|Typhon|Snakeman|N/A|Btr 10, Ddg 3|0
Celesyne|Celes McFragile|Gremlin|Admnt.Scrg, Lthr.Brstplt, Lthr.Glvs|Lshr 5, Ddg 4|3
Level8MudCrab|Shrigijeelgis|Kobold|Stl.Shrt Swrd, Cpr.Hlm.Bcklr.Ml, Slvr.Lgg|Ddg 4, Shld 2, Swrd 4|1.5
Drager0|Zip-Zip McGee|Gremlin|Stl.Shrt Swrd, Brnz.Brstplt.Hlm|Ddg 9, Swrd 3|0
Batyzero|MintChocolate|Gremlin|Sld.Whp|Ddg 5|
Stu42|Silverfang|Werewolf|Slvr.Ml.Lgg.Cp.Bcklr.Bts |Btr 4, Ftr 4, Ddg 3, Armr 2|34
Atelm|Demitel|Elf|Slvr.Brstplt.Lgg.Hlm.Shld, Lthr.Gnt.Bts, Cpr.Lng Swrd|Swrd 4, Shld 3, Armr 2, Ddg 1|0
RndmNumGen|Tenderizer|Yeti|Irn.Hlm.Ml Lthr.Lgg|Wrstl 2, Armr 3|0
Pokon1|Manbreaker|Minotaur|Irn.Grvs.Bts|Ddg 3, Wrstl 4, Ft 1|5
Banthesun|Nagash|Dwarf|Stl.Crsbw|Mrksdwrf 6, Archr 4|1
kpenguin|Garth Maul|Human|Irn.Hlm.Brstplt.Grvs.Gnt.Bts., Slvr.Maul|Hmmr 4|12
El Pablo|Ankylondius|Human|Cpr.Fl, Brnz.Shld, Lthr.Cp.Gnt.Bts, Oak.Hlm.Ml.Grvs|Ftr 3, Mc 6, Shld 4, Ddg 5, Armr 2, Msc 3|1
iyaerP|Markand|Dwarf|Slvr.Hmmr, Oak.Shld|Hmmr 6, Shld 4|2
Psionic Dog|Arf|Dark Gnome|Lthr.Hlm.Plt.Lgg.Bts, Oak.Bcklr, Stl.Dggr|Ddg 5, Knf 5, Shld 3, Ftr 3, Armr 2, Wrstl 2, Msc 2|7.5
Nanoblack|Darguun|Goblin|Brnz.Spr, Oak.Shld|Spr 4, Ftr 4, Shld 4|35
Factotum|Dorig|Troll|N/A|Wrstl 6, Ddg 3|0
MonarchAnarch|Kick'em Yarbles|Dwarf|Stl.Spr, Brnz.Brstplt.Hlm, Lthr.Gaunt|Spr 4, Ftr 4, Armr 4|2
Jjeinn-tae|Krixxn the Destroyer|Kobold|Slvr.Bw, Slvr.Hlm.Brstplt.Lgg.HBts|Ddg 4, Ftr 2, Btr 2, Strk 2, Bwmn 4, Archr 4, Wrstl 3|11
The Fiery Tower|Solus|Elf|Brnz.Bw, Irn.Brstplt.Lgg, Lthr.LBts|Archr 7, Armr 4|0
Bothi73|Bothi|Werewolf|Stl.Spr, Oak.Shld.Brstplt, Slvr.HBts|Spr 3, Btr 1, Ftr 1, Armr 1|1
Pefkalos|Relliana|Soldier Ant Woman|Cpr.Bw, Cpr.Bw, Slrv.Hlm.Gnt.Brstplt.HBts, Lthr.Cp|Archr 7, Btr 2, Ddg 3, Armr 3|0
Scaliburn|Silverfox|Human|Brnz.Lngswrd, Cpr.Ml.Bcklr, Lthr.Cp.Gnt.Lbts|Dgd 3, Swrd 3, Shld 3, Armr 4|
McDougal|Steel Glass|Soldier Antwoman|Stl.Spr, Slvr.Bcklr.Bcklr.Bcklr|Shld 5, Spr 3|
Kaine|Venom|Serpent Man|Stl.Whp, Lthr.Hlm, Oak.Gnt|Btr 6, Ddg 5, Lshr 3|
LdudeL|Gizmo|Gremlin|Lthr.Cp|Wrstl 12, Ddg 4, Ftr 1|0
Thrawn HCN|Gos'Muspla|Kobold|Stl.Spr|Spr 5, Ddg 5, Ftr 5|45
kknox|Kendra|Minotaur|N/A|Wrstl 7, Ddg 2, Ftr 2|1
Clarkson|Toto|Gremlin|Admnt.Whp|Ddg 8, Lsh 4|22
Robz defheadz|Sir Elwine the Bling King|Human|Irn.Lngswrd, Cpr.Ml, Slvr.Grvs|Ftr 5, Armr 5, Swrd 5|
[/table]

Sir
2011-04-10, 02:20 PM
Man, you put some thought into this! Nicely organized, in my opinion at least :smallsmile:. Hopefully the awesomeness is enough to get people past the long rules.

I was never the best at DF, but I hope my knowledge is enough to get by... Pardon me if there was application format, I didn't see one so I just made a little one :smallredface:.

Race:
Kobold (290)
Skills:
Proficient Dodger (60)
Skilled Hammerer (60)
Equipment:
1 Platinum War hammer (104)
1 Steel Helm (48)

18 points left.

Also, at the expense of sounding stupid, what exactly is a round robin? Never heard of it before...
Edit: Shouldn't this be in the Recruitment forum?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 02:31 PM
Actually, the rules were designed by Vox Nihili on SomethingAwful, he put a LOT of work into this. I ran the second tournament on Bay12, but I'd like to try it out on the GitP forums for the sake of it.

A Round Robin tournament is a format where each competitor faces every other competitor once.

For example, you have 6 competitors, A, B, C, D, E, and F.

Your tourney will look like this.
{table]X|A|B|C|D|E|F
A|\|_|_|_|_|_
B|_|\|_|_|_|_
C|_|_|\|_|_|_
D|_|_|_|\|_|_
E|_|_|_|_|\|_
F|_|_|_|_|_|\
[/table]

The competitor with the most victories wins the round-robin.

Also, nice, Kobold dodger with a big weapon. Kobold dodgers dominated two of the Bay12 runs of the tournament if I recall correctly, and did well in the SA ones. They have more weight to em than Gremlins and can hit with more force, but are still small and quick enough to dodge well.

EDIT: I'll make a post in the recruitment thing, but since it's technically not an RPG I'm just calling it a Let's Play for simplicity.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-10, 04:09 PM
I'm gonna try something... interesting. Watch me die first round. But! It'll be amusing.

Antennae

Race:
Soldier Ant Man (250)
Weapons:
2 iron long daggers (64)
2 copper bucklers (75)
Steel helm (48)
Skills:
Competent Shield (24)
Adequate Dodge (15)
Adequate Knife (15)
Adequate Fighting (9)
Total (250)

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 04:11 PM
Just as a warning, having two daggers won't actually give him double the attacks. However it WILL help if the arm holding one dagger is shattered or cut off.

I don't remember if holding two weapons tests parry chance twice...

Necroticplague
2011-04-10, 05:07 PM
Aw, heck, I'll play.
Typhon

Race:
Serpent Man
Skills:
Accomplished biter
Competent dodger

Yeah, I'm probably going to get torn in half quickly, but this is Fun.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 05:11 PM
It's a tag tournament, so if you get an iron wall teammate who is fast enough to tie the opponents down, or a dancer with a spear or dagger, for example, you may well be able to land those bites quite a lot.

Necroticplague
2011-04-10, 05:29 PM
Yes, but lacking limbs is probably a bigger problem. Given the random attacking that the AI does, having less reduntant limbs=more chance of something vital getting hit. Same reason killing monstrous spiders is painful. Your more likely to hit their legs than anything remotely important.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 05:32 PM
Well, you can target specific things in adventure mode now, and as far as I recall Toady fixed it so that the AI goes directly for the easiest location to hit, just like a player would.

So combat is a bit more controlled.

(For example, if you're downed and unconscious, the AI usually goes directly for the head. Usually).

You could probably rectify that by buying armor to protect your organs, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys want to invite your forum buddies to join in on the massacre, come on in. I'll actually allow people to partner up this time around.

(Surprisingly, a team of 2 yetis/minotaurs is not as effective as it might appear.)

Necroticplague
2011-04-10, 05:49 PM
Well, you can target specific things in adventure mode now, and as far as I recall Toady fixed it so that the AI goes directly for the easiest location to hit, just like a player would.

So combat is a bit more controlled.

(For example, if you're downed and unconscious, the AI usually goes directly for the head. Usually).

You could probably rectify that by buying armor to protect your organs, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys want to invite your forum buddies to join in on the massacre, come on in. I'll actually allow people to partner up this time around.

(Surprisingly, a team of 2 yetis/minotaurs is not as effective as it might appear.)

Sorry, it's been a while since I played. Last time I played, the only way to target specific things was when you were wrestling. Not to suprised that that team doesn't work. Looks like they would step on each others toes a lot.

Celesyne
2011-04-10, 06:10 PM
Here is my shot at it. My money is on mining everyone else to death!

Celes McUrist
Dwarf 240

Gear
Adamantine Pick -144
Oak Buckler -22.5
Oak Helm -9
Oak Breast Plate -15
Leather Gauntlets -4

Skills
Proficient Misc. Object User -45

.5 points remaining

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 06:32 PM
Sorry, it's been a while since I played. Last time I played, the only way to target specific things was when you were wrestling. Not to suprised that that team doesn't work. Looks like they would step on each others toes a lot.

It's not just that (Yetis and Minotaurs charge on many of their attacks, I've found, meaning that they do get all up in each others' business if partnered), it's also the fact that while they are massively strong they're also, well, massive.

I remember one fight in the one-on-one elimination tourney where, if I recall correctly, the Minotaur went up against a dodger kobold with an adamant dagger. If he hit even once, he would have won (the kobold lost the next round due to the whole tiny fragile dog-lizard thing) but that fight, he got turned into raw beef.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-04-11, 07:30 AM
This sounds like fun, count me in.

Shrigijeelgis, Swordbold

Race
Kobold (290)

Gear
Steel short sword (80)
Copper buckler (37.5)
Copper helm (15)
Copper mail shirt (30)
Silver leggings (14)
Total gear cost - 176.5 Points

Skills
Skilled Dodger - Tiny (40)
Skilled Swordbold (60)
Adequate Shield User (12)
Total skills cost - 112 Points

1.5 points remaining

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 01:28 PM
Exhibition Match 1

It's a beautiful day in the Playground, ladies, gentlemen, and dwarves, and what a show we've got for you today! Signups and preparations for the Giant in the Playground Tag Team Tournament have just gotten started, and already we've got five fine contestants!

We'll be pitting them in a match today against three Doppelsoldners. Now, as you may or may not know, the Doppelsoldner was a German mercenary soldier typically equipped with light protection and a great two-handed sword.

This is a five-on-three match, but can our brave gladiators avoid their swords and win the day?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib01.png

All gladiators are ready to begin!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02.png

The match has begun, and we're seeing our fighters pair off. The first doppelsoldner has picked out Sir's gladiator, a nameless hammerwielding kobold. The second has engaged with Antennae the Soldier Ant Man, while the third has her hands full with the towering Typhon the serpent man, with Celes McUrist and Shrigijeelgis moving around to flank her and back him up!

There goes the first exchange! Soldner 1 starts the match off with a vicious charge at Sir, who jumps away and lands a glancing blow to his arm with that massive platinum hammer of his. Meanwhile, it looks like Antennae and Soldner 3 have started trading blows, opposite their initial opponents.

Soldner 1 makes another ineffectual charge at Sir, missing entirely and rushing a few feet past the tiny kobold. The opening he leaves allows Soldner 2, thus far inactive and seeking an opening, to rush into the melee and attack Shrigijeelgis, but to no avail. His swing overbalances him, and just as the kobold misses his own swing Typhon seizes his moment and sinks his fangs into Soldner 2's tricep, sinking his fangs in deep and holding on! Soldner 2 seizes up, loses his grip on his weapon, and falls over. Without missing a beat, Shrigijeelgis brings his short sword up and over in a two-handed swing, severing Soldner 2's head instantly!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib03.png

Sir meanwhile seizes the opportunity left by Typhon's sudden strike to hit Soldner 3 with his hammer, but his blow only leaves a bruise on her thigh. She counters with a rushing advance, knocking him to the ground at her feet. With a loud cry she plunges her sword into his ankle, severing his foot.

Yanking her sword out of the ground, she brings the blade around in a mighty swing to strike at Antennae, who had moved up in an attempt to rescue his temporary partner. The Antman catches the first strike easily on his shield, but the doppelsoldner twists her sword around, striking one of Antennae's shield hands with the flat of the blade and causing him to lose the buckler!

Soldner 1 has meanwhile moved in on Sir, who for obvious reasons cannot get up off the ground. He brings his sword around, severely damaging Sir's right arm and embedding the blade in his arm up to the bone. Sir bravely manages a counterstrike but misses entirely.

Antennae gets to his feet in order to make a second attempt at Soldner 3, but as soon as he rears his head, Soldner 3 strikes his arm off in a single slash, causing him to drop one of his daggers! She follows up by directing two rapid thrusts at the Antman, severing his upper left arm and his right foot in quick succession, stunning the Antman with the pain.

Soldner 1 wrenches his sword out of Sir's arm and strikes at Celes McUrist, who has finally maneuvered into an advantageous position. His overbalanced swing misses its mark, allowing Celes to bring his pickaxe down on the man, but the doppelsoldner quickly parries the strike and presses the advantage.

Sensing a quick victory, Soldner 3 brings her sword around to finish off Antennae... only to be interrupted by the massive serpent man Typhon, who had been biding his time until this moment! He strikes with his fangs, sinking a lethal toxic bite into Soldner 3's exposed hand and grabbing firmly! Almost immediately the neurotoxin takes effect, letting Typhon shake her around at will.

Attempting a rescue, Soldner 1 rushes Typhon and jams his blade into his shoulder, knocking the serpent man over, but it is too late, as Celes picks up the pace and sinks his pick into Soldner 3's skull, killing her instantly.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib04.png

His sword momentarily trapped, Soldner 1 lands a vicious kick to the downed Typhon's gut, allowing him to rip his blade out and sever the serpent man's hand with a well-timed thrust. Desperate, the doppelsoldner begins fighting with all means available to him.

Quickly, Shrigijeelgis moves up behind Soldner 1 and lands a good hit on his arm, just as the man severs Typhon's arm with one good slash! However Antennae has moved in as well, driving the human away from the serpent man, allowing the now one-armed Typhon to get to his feet.

Soldner 1 is surrounded now, all remaining gladiators attacking him with impunity, except Sir who is quietly bleeding to death in the corner.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib05.png

Again and again the man dodges away, facing a veritable forest of strikes. Finally, with viper-quickness Typhon lands a bite to the man's hand. With a horrified scream, Soldner 1 forces Typhon away, wrenching the fang out of his hand and promptly flopping over, paralyzed.

Shrigijeelgis seizes the opportunity again and stabs the man in the forehead with his sword, crushing his skull in and shredding his brain. Victory goes to the gladiators this day!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib06.png

Exhibition Match 1 Summary
Casualties:
Sir

Kills:
Shrigijeelgis - 2
Celes McUrist - 1

Assists:
Typhon - 3

Most limbs Lost:
Antennae - 4

Combat Log
Human 1 charges at Sir!
Human 1 attacks Sir but He jumps away!
Antennae misses Human 3!
Human 3 counterstrikes!
Human 3 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
Human 1 charges at Sir!
Human 1 attacks Sir but He jumps away!
Sir counterstrikes!
Sir bashes Human 1 in the right upper arm from behind with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
Human 1 rushes by Sir!
Human 2 misses Shrigijeelgis!
Shrigijeelgis counterstrikes!
Shrigijeelgis misses Human 2!
Typhon bites Human 2 in the right upper arm from behind, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 2's blood!
Typhon latches on firmly!
Sir bashes Human 3 in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the fat through the iron chain leggings!
Celes McUrist misses Human 2!
The Human 2 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
The Human 2 falls over.
The Human 2 is completely paralyzed!
Shrigijeelgis slashes Human 2 in the head with his steel short sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Human 2 has been struck down.
Human 3 charges at Sir!
Human 3 misses Sir!
Human 3 collides with Sir!
Sir is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Human 3 stabs Sir in the left foot with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Human 3 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
Human 3 slaps Antennae in the first left hand with the flat of her iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle!
Antennae loses hold of the copper buckler.
Human 1 slashes Sir in the right lower arm with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
Many nerves have been severed!
The iron two-handed sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
Sir misses Human 1!
Antennae stands up.
Human 3 slashes Antennae in the second right upper arm with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Antennae loses hold of the large iron dagger.
Human 1 misses Celes McUrist!
Celes McUrist counterstrikes!
Celes McUrist strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
Human 3 charges at Antennae!
Human 3 stabs Antennae in the first left upper arm with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Human 3 collides with Antennae!
Antennae is knocked over!
Human 3 stabs Antennae in the right foot with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Typhon bites Human 3 in the right hand, tearing the fat!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 3's blood!
Human 1 stabs Celes McUrist in the right upper leg with his iron two-handed sword, fracturing the bone!
Many nerves have been severed and a tendon has been torn!
The Human 3 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
The Human 3 falls over.
The Human 3 is completely paralyzed!
Typhon shakes Human 3 around by the right hand, tearing apart the right hand's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right hand has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Antennae is no longer stunned.
Typhon shakes Human 3 around by the right hand, tearing apart the right hand's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right hand has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Human 1 charges at Typhon!
Human 1 slashes Typhon in the left lower arm with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Human 1 collides with Typhon!
Typhon is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Celes McUrist strikes Human 3 in the head with his adamantine pick, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
Human 3 has been knocked unconscious!
The adamantine pick has lodged firmly in the wound!
Human 3 has been struck down.
Human 1 kicks Typhon in the lower body with his left foot, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach!
Human 1 stabs Typhon in the right hand with his iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Typhon is no longer stunned.
Human 1 scratches Typhon in the lower body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the pancreas!
Shrigijeelgis slashes Human 1 in the right lower arm from behind with his steel short sword, tearing apart the muscle!
An artery has been opened by the attack and many nerves have been severed!
Human 1 stabs Typhon in the right upper arm with his iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Typhon stands up.
Antennae attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
Human 1 attacks Typhon but He jumps away!
Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
Typhon misses Human 1!
Typhon bites Human 1 in the fourth toe, right foot, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
Celes McUrist attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
Human 1 charges at Typhon!
Human 1 misses Typhon!
Human 1 collides with Typhon!
Typhon is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Antennae strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
The Typhon is no longer stunned.
Human 1 slashes Sir in the left lower leg with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
A motor nerve has been severed!
The Typhon stands up.
Shrigijeelgis misses Human 1!
Human 1 twists the embedded iron two-handed sword around in Sir's left lower leg!
Sir misses Human 1!
Sir has bled to death.
Human 1 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
Antennae counterstrikes!
Antennae misses Human 1!
Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He rolls away!
Typhon bites Human 1 in the left upper leg, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
Antennae strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
Human 1 counterstrikes!
Human 1 scratches Antennae in the abdomen, chipping the chitin and bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
A tendon has been torn!
Shrigijeelgis punches Human 1 in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
Typhon bites Human 1 in the right upper leg, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He rolls away!
The Human 1 stands up.
Typhon bites Human 1 in the upper body, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron breastplate!
Typhon bites Human 1 in the left hand, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 1's blood!
The Human 1 breaks the grip of The Typhon's tooth from The Human 1's left hand!
The Human 1 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
The Human 1 is completely paralyzed!
Shrigijeelgis stabs Human 1 in the head with his steel short sword, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
Human 1 has been knocked unconscious!
The steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
Human 1 has been struck down.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-11, 03:01 PM
Wow, I didn't die. I was expecting to die in a bloody and horrible manner.

And of course I had most limbs lost. I have the most limbs period!

That was fun! :smallbiggrin:

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 03:05 PM
Yeah, it's traditional to hold a number of exhibition matches while waiting for signups.

This might take a while to fill up to 32, though... might need to start aggressively recruiting, haha.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-11, 03:18 PM
Did I get any strikes in after my one arm was cut off, and I dropped the dagger? Cause if I did, it would totally make the second dagger worth it.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 03:36 PM
Well, the Pain caused your antman to move way too slow. He was getting some attacks in with the other dagger, but most of them missed or were parried.

Necroticplague
2011-04-11, 03:36 PM
Wow, that paralyzing venom turned to be more useful than I thought. I thought venom only applied to the body part affected, (so all those hand bites would only lose function of the hand)not their entire body. I feel a bit better about my chances of winning.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 03:58 PM
Yeah, it actually left a pretty big impression on all three enemy combatants. The thing is, I specifically set those opponents up as Proficient Fighters and Master Swordsmen. Each one was actually kicking quite a lot of ass until Typhon landed his bite attacks to the unarmored arms, leading them to flop over like fish.

The new combat system is awesome.

Dragero
2011-04-11, 04:48 PM
This looks fun, I'll bite

Race- Gremlin +360

Skills- Profesional Dodging -180
Sword Competent -36

Equipment- Steel short sword -80
Bronze Breastplate -40
Bronze Helm -24
Total: 0
Name: Zip-zip Mcgee

Batyzero
2011-04-11, 05:08 PM
I lurked on of the Bay12 ones but never joined, i'm stoked for this!

Tell me if I did any of the math wrong, I was pretty tired when doing this.

Name:MintChocolate

Race:Gremlin=360

Weapon: Slade Whip=360-300=60

Skills: Proficient Dodger=60-60=0

Total Points Remaining:0

I expect to die horribly. xD

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 05:10 PM
Your weapon is a literal razor edge. If you hit once you're likely to sever a tendon and break some bones, so you should be fine, depending on your partner.

Batyzero
2011-04-11, 05:19 PM
Question about Cele's gladiator here.
Isn't Damage with a Pick determined by Mining and not Miscellaneous Object User?
I'm 'prolly wrong though, just curious.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 05:26 PM
Ever since DF2010 came out, Pick damage has been determined by the strength of the wielder, much like every other melee weapon.

Skill is determined by misc. object.

The pickgod masters of 40d no longer exist, but the penetration of the pick is still incredible.

Batyzero
2011-04-11, 05:27 PM
Ah, ok.
I'm still pretty new to DF, thanks for clarifying.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 05:29 PM
Well, you made a decent weapon choice.

See, Slade is the heaviest material in the game, bar none, making it the most suited for almost any weapon, although it can't really hold an edge so well.

However, the whip technically doesn't have an edge, despite the fact that its contact area values are very low. So you're hitting with the force of a hammer with a tiny contact area. Your whip is made of lasers.

Batyzero
2011-04-11, 05:33 PM
Good to know, thanks a bunch! :smallsmile:
One last thing, this isn't really a big deal but I notice the roster near the topic doesn't include my Gladiator(MintChocolate)'s name.
If you wouldn't mind fixing that, it'd be great.

:Edit: Nvm looks like you fixed it already, sorry. xD

Necroticplague
2011-04-11, 06:02 PM
Also, the roster doesn't include Typhon's name.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 06:03 PM
And now it does! :p

Sir
2011-04-11, 07:24 PM
Fantastic! I went down.. well not really swinging, but I didn't die at the very start. To clarify, that was just to entertain us poor souls correct, or am I out? Either way, classy description of the fight :smallsmile:.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 07:27 PM
That was just an exhibition, yep! In the actual tourney you guys will be pitted against each other, in pairs, instead of squads.

I'm gonna run the second exhibition, a gauntlet of ten fights for each individual gladiator, soon.

Batyzero
2011-04-11, 07:35 PM
Ooh looking forward to the next exhibition, I don't know how well MintChocolate will do without a teammate supporting him, but i'm hopeful. xD

Studoku
2011-04-11, 08:35 PM
Silverfang:

Werewolf (190 total points)
Silver leggings 14
Silver chain shirt 24
Silver cap 10
Silver buckler 30
Silver high boots 10
Skilled fighter 30
Skilled biter 40
Competant Dodger 30
Novice armour user 2

I think that's right. Hopefully werewolves in DF aren't harmed by silver.

Necroticplague
2011-04-11, 08:43 PM
I'm interested, to. I didn't make any of the killing blows, but helped a fair bit. Guess it depends on who hits first. If I managed to latch on 1v1, I've won. Even if my bite itself will only tear up their hand a little (for some reason Typhon seems to aim for the hands), the poison will keep increasing in concentration till they die of organ failure.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-04-11, 08:46 PM
He he, nice match, I'm proud of my little kobold. It will be interesting to see how he holds up in the exhibition matches without teammates to help out.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-11, 09:11 PM
Consider Antennae to be your fodder. He's not going to be winning any matches. :smallamused:

Maybe I'll get a more interesting build for another character. Perhaps try going for a Glass cannon type character...

I expect that archery is tantamount to suicide...

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 09:35 PM
I'm interested, to. I didn't make any of the killing blows, but helped a fair bit. Guess it depends on who hits first. If I managed to latch on 1v1, I've won. Even if my bite itself will only tear up their hand a little (for some reason Typhon seems to aim for the hands), the poison will keep increasing in concentration till they die of organ failure.

Actually, Typhon was pretty much the only reason you guys won the day. Snakeman venom is incredibly virulent. The moment you landed the bite, the opponent flopped over. The trick is landing it though; against a fully covered opponent you're out of luck unless the snakeman has an opportunity to hit an uncovered part (typically, hands, face, or neck, all small targets).

Archers can be pretty nasty, as long as your arrow type has a high penetration value and you have an iron wall or dancer type teammate to draw the other team's attention.

(werewolves aren't silver-vulnerable yet, but I think Toady One is working on it)

I'm going to run the gauntlet exhibition right now, let's see how you guys do.

Lemonus
2011-04-11, 10:15 PM
This looks pretty interesting. I'll take a better look at it once I get some sleep.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 12:39 AM
Good afternoon, ladies, gents, dwarves, elves, goblins and kobolds! The last round of signups has netted us some interesting new gladiators. Today we'll be seeing them in action for the first time, for the second round of exhibition fights!

This fine afternoon we'll be treating you to a series of gauntlet matches, in which our brave fighters will try and take down ten, you heard me, ten vicious opponents slavering for blood! If you'll direct your attention to the Titan-Tron overhead, you can get a quick look at the opponents our stalwart gladiators will be facing today!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib2-01.png

That's right, friends and neighbors! Your eyes are NOT deceiving you! In addition to the standard seven, our champions will be squaring off, as their final three opponents, against a fearsome Werewolf Biter, a gruesomely powerful Minotaur Wrestler, and a disgusting, a hideous, a lethal GIANT. DESERT. SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORPIOOOOOOOON!

WHO will win the day? WHO will triumph? WHO will win the coveted Longland Beer sponsorship for this tournament? Stay tuned, ladies and gents! The first set is coming up!

Gauntlet: Sir the Kobold

Joining me in the announcer's box is Olon Cattenlikot, veteran Gladiator Championship announcer and all around great guy! What have we got here, Olon?

Well Vukod, we've got a real good set tonight. First up is the Nameless Kobold (the one we call "Sir") and his platinum Warhammer. That's a fine dwarven weapon there, with enough weight behind it to stop a charging bull - if you can swing it at all!

That's a good point, Olon. The Warhammer is a really nasty weapon, but you need, I must stress this, you NEED the muscle mass to swing it correctly! Sir's been doing pretty well, but we'll have to see how he stands up in a one-on-one combat situation.

Here comes the Gremlin Lasher, right out of the gate, and the gauntlet begins... now!

You'll have to watch out for the Gremlin Lashers, Vukod. Whips can be pretty damn lethal weapons! I've seen enough whip victories in my time to know that!

But you have to hit with them, Olon, and this lasher's not doing so well! He just whiffed one, and Sir jumped away like a dervish!

The Gremlin's following up, though, and OH, he just RAN right into Sir and flopped over! What an embarrassing fate!

Sir's quick, you've got to give him that! Look at this! He's brought his hammer around and onto the Gremlin's fingers, again and again! The poor bastard doesn't have much of a hand left!

He's passed out, Vukod!

Yes he has! Sir seizes the advantage! The hammer goes down on the Gremlin's head and IT'S OVER! SIR TAKES ONE HOME!

A strong showing from our little kobold friend!

He'd better not start celebrating yet - here comes the next opponent, a Kobold Knife Fighter!

Kobold Knife Fighters can be pretty lethal foes, Vukod. That weapon is part of the traditional Kobold martial art known as "Uglufbushot", which translates to "Stab your enemy until he dies, then take his money". There are many students, but few masters, and Kobolds take the cake when it comes to Uglufbushot!

You can see a good demo of that right here, Olon! Sir brought his heavy hammer around for a big, possibly lethal swing, but his opponent parried with his dagger like it was nothing, redirecting the strike and opening Sir up for attack!

You know a good fighter when you see one! These two little fellows are exchanging rapid blows now, hammer against dagger! Parry! Counter! Parry! Counter! I can't see what's happening, Vukod!

Don't worry, Olon, I can see fine! Sir is doing amazingly well. He just landed three glancing blows with his warhammer to both arms and the snout, impairing his opponent slightly. You rarely see a non-dwarf wield a warhammer with that much dexteri- OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT?

I saw it! For you folks back at home, Sir's opponent just took advantage of an opening and sliced Sir's foot off at the ankle! They're going to have a job putting that back on!

And now he's tagged Sir right in a major artery! Things don't look good for our Kobold Basher! He won't be taking home that sponsorship tonight!

And there it is! It's over, folks! Sir leaves the Arena with one kill and a profusion of bleeding wounds! Don't worry folks, he'll be fine! It's just a minor case for the doctors!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib2-02.png

Kills: |

Gauntlet: Antennae the Antman

Up next, we've got Antennae, the Soldier Antman!

Antennae is an interesting case, Vukod. Soldier Antmen are known for vicious, uncompromising fights, and take full advantage of their multiple arms in the arena! Antennae, in particular, is bringing to the arena two long iron daggers and a pair of buckers, as well as a tough Steel Helm!

Antennae made a good Iron Wall showing in the previous exhibition match, but as a primarily defensive fighter, he might have a hard time going on the attack!

That's true, Olon! It's actually curious that a Soldier Antman would focus on defense rather than aggressive offense, but I did once see a gladiator Soldier Antman who wielded three shields and an adamant spear - maximizing defense and offense at the same time.

We'll see how Antennae stacks up - here's the first opponent now, the Lasher! Antennae opens with an uncharacteristic charge - perhaps he is confident that he will have no trouble against a smaller opponent. And he's got something going there!

A beautiful move! His powerful charge knocks the Gremlin right off his feet, allowing him to disable the lasher with a severed leg!

Antennae follows up with a big shot to the arm, opening a nasty deep gash, disabling the weapon arm and forcing the Gremlin to drop his whip! It'll all be over soon, folks!

And it is! Chalk one up for Antennae! It looks like Antennae heard you from the box, Vukod - that is definitely not defensive fighting. We're seeing a lot of aggression!

[hilariously, the last attack Antennae made in this match was a pommel strike to the gremlin's eyelid just as it bled to death. how rude]

It might be a mark of confidence, Olon, and he'll need it - here comes the Kobold Knife Fighter.

The problem with Dancer-type opponents is that they have a tendency to draw you out before striking. In Antennae's current aggressive state, that could be his downfall!

This one's not dancing, Olon - the Kobold just opened the fight by pressing Antennae back with repeated knife strikes, trying to force him into the open. It's no good though - Antennae's catching all the strikes on his shields!

And Antennae just made his move, with another powerful charge! He's really taking advantage of the natural Antman sense of balance here, he just knocked that kobold off his feet!

This is a fantastic show of Uglufbushot, folks! You can hear the ringing of the daggers from here! Antennae is wielding his dagger with just as much dexterity as his opponent - possibly more!

They might be too evenly matched, Vukod, this is a parrying game now, and whoever lands the first blow will take it ho- I spoke too soon! Will you look at that!

I'm looking! Antennae just discarded formalities! It would appear that the natural Soldier Antman aggression has just reared its head! It's over! Antennae has crushed his opponent's skull with his bare hands!

When they say "strong as an Antman", Vukod, they're NOT kidding. Our insectile friends are strong enough to carry boulders their size or larger - I'd hate to see what one can do with all four of his hands free.

You're about to - right out of the gate comes the next opponent, a vicious Soldier Antman Striker! He may look spindly, but those are fists that can crush bone without too much trouble!

But it looks like Antennae won't be having any of it - he just stabbed the other Antman right in the abdomen! What a nasty shot! That dagger just went in up to the hilt!

And he follows up with another one - this time in the thorax. Antennae is making a very strong showing tonight, eh Olon?

That's for sure, Vukod, and it won't be abating any time soon! Any time the other Antman attempts a strike, Antennae counters with one of his own - take a look at that! He just stuck his dagger in the Antman's abdomen again, and then punched him in the thorax! The Soldier Antman is down and out! Now Antennae is just twisting those daggers! It's over! It's over!

Really well-executed finish for Antennae! That kind of skill will be needed against his next opponent - a goblin swordsman!

Back in the wars, I fought alongside and against goblin soldiers, and their swordsmen were of a caliber even the Humans could never match. Their arming swords were short and vicious, and the hands behind them could strike before you ever saw it coming!

This goblin isn't wasting any time! There he goes, charging down the arena floor - Antennae braces for impact and OH HE'S DOWN!

That swordsman just drove his sword into Antennae's abdomen with the force of that charge! Antennae is struggling to recover, bringing his daggers up for a defense, but to no avail! Antennae just lost one of his hands, and one of his daggers along with it! What a vicious slugfest this is!

Antman limbs! Olon, it's raining Antman limbs! This can't last much longer!

And it does not! A good showing from Antennae, showing three opponents the door, but it wasn't enough by a long shot!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib2-03.png

Kills: |||

Gauntlet: Typhon the Snakeman

Slithering in to the arena is Typhon the Snakeman. In the last exhibition match, Typhon was the deciding factor, paralyzing all three of his team's opponents so that Shrigijeelgis and Celes McUrist could deliver the killing blow. With a record like this so early in the tournament, it's hard not to have high hopes!

Snakeman venom is particularly virulent, Vukod, a nasty neurotoxin that attacks the nervous system in a matter of seconds, causing total paralysis and system failure in minutes. While Snakeman soldiers will typically choose edge weapons over biting, I've seen a lot of gladiators who went with the venom route!

We'll see if it works this time around, Olon - here comes the first opponent, the Gremlin Lash- well, that was entirely expected.

Indeed, Vukod. If you folks up in the cheap seats didn't catch what just happened, as soon as the Gremlin got within range, Typhon bit him right in the whipping hand, paralyzing him in a heartbeat.

Yep, he's just shaking him like a ragdoll now. Is he-

No, Vukod, Snakeman soldiers don't typically eat sentient foes! He is, however, trying to fit the gremlin into his mouth, presumably for scientific reasons!

We'll see if a master of Uglufbushot can do better against a trained Snakeman biter gladiator! Here comes the Kobold Knife Fighter now!

The Kobold is probing Typhon's defenses with tentative dagger strikes. That's an intelligent decision - he's forcing the Snakeman to dodge, making him use up that energy he could use for striking.

It looks like Typhon just lost his patience, Olon! He just darted towards the knife fighter like some kind of viper!

He technically is a viper, Vukod.

He certainly bites like one! He just got the little fellow by the upper arm, and he's shaking him around like nobody's business! This one's over too, folks!

That's two in the bag for Typhon! That venom is serving him well, Vukod!

Here comes his next opponent - an Antman Striker. We've seen what the prodigious strength of Antmen can do in Antennae's matches. Will Typhon, an unarmed, unarmored fighter, stand up to OH, COME ON.

Amazing! The Snakeman didn't even give the Soldier Antman a chance to use its striking power! As soon as it got in range, he bit it right in the leg, tearing out some vital fibers!

Three bites now! I don't know how that Antman is still breathing!

He won't be for long - Typhon's going for the kill! And there it is! A vicious bite right to the head! Those fangs went right through the Antman's brain! He's not getting up from this one!

I don't think he would if he could! Typhon is a machine out there tonight!

He's coming up against the goblin swordsman next - remember, this is the opponent that stopped Antennae right in his tracks! He could do a number on Typhon with that sword of his!

We'll see - they're pacing around each other now, testing the distance. This is a smart move from both parties. Typhon's showing a lot of respect for that sword, and the goblin knows what Snakeman venom can TYPHON STRIKES! HE'S GOT THE GOBLIN BY THE THIGH!

That's one tough bastard! The venom hasn't knocked him out! He's still struggling and OH WHAT A GOOD SHOT!

The goblin just took Typhon's arm off with a vicious slash, but it took too much out of him! He's down! The venom just kicked in! He's down! Typhon looks pissed!

He would be! I bet that stings! He's going for the throat now - it's OVER! Chalk up another one for Typhon!

That's the first opponent to actually strike back, Olon. We'll see how Typhon fares against an Elven Archer - can he get in range in time? The archer just came through the gate! There she is!

Now, our people and the Elves have a long standing rivalry. Don't knock those wooden weapons of theirs - in a skilled enough swordsman's hands, a wooden sword is just as good as a bronze one. And there are none who can compare to their archers.

Give me a good crossbow any day, Olon! That archer just whiffed two shots, and Typhon is quickly bearing down on her!

A solid shot to the chest with an arrow! What's the damage, Vukod?

It appears Typhon is merely bruised. Those protective scales are as good as chain, it would appear! The arrow bounced right off, leaving a slight mark! And now it's too late! Typhon has seized the archer around her midriff, and has hoisted her up! He's giving her the rag doll treatment!

Ooh, that's a nasty one. He just knocked her out with a bite to the head! This one didn't penetrate, but when your blood has literally just been replaced with a neurotoxin, unconsciousness is a blessing!

My GOD, Olon, he just went for the throat again! There is a veritable FOUNTAIN of elf blood! It's done! This one's done! Typhon appears to be unstoppable!

I wouldn't be so sure - he's up against a Dwarven Maceman next, wielding a heavy headed Iron Mace! And here he comes now!

That dwarf's got an intimidating face, Olon, and knows how to handle his mace. He's swinging like a madman as he approaches Typhon - a swing and a miss! He's wide open!

Typhon strikes!

A bite to the hand! The Snakeman seems to love those - but what's this? The Dwarf is still standing! Dwarven resistance to alcohol has proven to be resistance to neurotoxin as well! The Dwarf lands a thunderous blow to Typhon's tail!

You could hear that all the way in Boatmurdered, Vukod, no kidding!

Whoops, we may have spoken too soon! Typhon has just ended this fight with a quick succession of bites, a punch to the nose, and a few neck-breaking shakes for good measure! Is there anything that can stop this invincible juggernaut?

I somehow doubt this Spearman will be the one to do haHA!

That's certainly a novel way to start the fight! It happened quickly, but if you missed it, the Spearman opened the duel by kicking Typhon directly in the snout.

It doesn't look like he enjoyed it very much, Vukod, and now he's taking his time. He just bit her right in the, er, chest!

Yikes! That looks like it hurt!

I doubt she feels it anymore, this fight is over! Typhon must be dizzy from all the shaking around that he's been doing. Will it impair him in his next fight?

I somehow doubt it, Olon. That's his seventh kill in a row, and he's only taken a few serious wounds. Who can stop him? Will the werewolf biter bring him to heel?

Apparently not.

Now THAT was a very quick fight. Typhon landed three bites in quick succession, making the Werewolf flop over like a fish. It looks like it's suffocation on special tonight! Snakeman neurotoxins are a particularly nasty way to die.

Typhon is close to the final match. Just one more obstacle - a mighty Minotaur Wrestler!

Minotaurs are serious competitors in the tourney year after year, and it's not hard to see why. A Minotaur is basically a towering pillar of muscle. Most of them train for much of their lives to become great wrestlers, and the average Minotaur gladiator is skilled enough in the use of his horns to make weapons almost irrelevant!

In addition to that, Minotaurs, along with Yetis, are typically excellent axe and hammermen, striking with steel-shattering force. There is not much to do if you've got an angry minotaur on your hands!

And we'll be seeing that force brought to bear tonight - here comes the Minotaur Wrestler, charging through the gate and bellowing!

I don't think Typhon expected such force! The Minotaur just landed a heavy blow to the Snakeman's gut, knocking him back a few feet, winded! Typhon's in big trouble now - the Minotaur's got him in a tight headlock!

Never underestimate a Snakeman, Vukod - Typhon just wriggled free and OH the Minotaur just tagged him with a big gore attack! Typhon is reeling! That looks like a nasty wound, right there!

And now the Minotaur's got him down on the ground, in an cross armbar! Holy **** Olon, I heard that one! It sounded like a dry branch snapping!

The Minotaur has just snapped Typhon's remaining arm like a twig! Things don't look good!

Things look downright UGLY! He's just punching him again and again with those big ham hock hands! There is blood everywhere! This match is over!

Not quite, Vukod, Typhon's got some fight in hi- okay, it's over, it's over, the Minotaur has him in a chokehold, it's all over! Typhon is out!

Eight kills in total for the Snakeman, Olon, not bad!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib2-04.png

Kills: ||||||||

Gauntlet: Celes McUrist the Dwarf

I've got a good feeling about this one, Olon.

I can understand that, Vukod! Celes McUrist is a miner, dignified profession, from the extensive and wealthy McUrist clan. He's looking to win fame and renown here tonight, and with that amazing adamantine pick of his, he might just do it!

We'll see, Olon. He'll have a tough time following Typhon's amazing performance earlier tonight, even with a weapon like that! Now, here's the first opponent out of the gate! Celes advances! He takes a lashing to the arm, nothing he can't shrug off!

Dwarves are tough, but he seems to be having a hard time catching his DID YOU SEE THAT!!? DID YOU SEE THAT?!!

MY GOD, THE GREMLIN JUST HIT HIM IN THE FACE WITH THE WHIP! THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE! HE'S NOT MOVING!

MY GOD INDEED, VUKOD! CELES MCURIST IS OUT! HE'S OUT! ADAMANTINE PICK OR NOT, HE'S NOT GETTING UP FROM THAT HIT ANYTIME SOON! IT'S ALL OVER!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib2-05.png

Kills: _

That was... a letdown!

Indeed it was, Vukod, but maybe the next set of matches will rectify that!

I hope so. We will return - after the break!

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 12:48 AM
Jesus, my wrists hurt now. I'll be doing the other set tomorrow, I think I hurt my neck doing the writeup for the first set.

Although basically guys, Typhon is frigging scary.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-04-12, 12:51 AM
Very nice battle commentary. Typhon is rather scary with that venom, not looking forward to that fight during the actual tourney.

Celes's fight was amusingly short.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 12:53 AM
I actually was expecting Celes to at least get to the goblin.

Turns out getting hit in the face with an iron whip isn't exactly survivable. :smallsigh:

Celesyne
2011-04-12, 01:28 AM
As it turns out I may well need to rethink my fighting philosophy =P... oh well, back to the drawing board.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 01:36 AM
Actually, a thicker helmet might have saved you. The whip went through your wooden one like, well, butter.

Celesyne
2011-04-12, 02:03 AM
Since a little research seems to indicate that mining still affects pick usages fairly heavy, but having no direct experience (havent touched DF since 40D, really need to though) I has a last minute change in gladiators with the permission of Master Sarco_Phage... Introducing!

Celes McFragile

Gremlin 360

Adamantine Scourge -228
Leather Breastplate -10
Leather Gauntlets -4

Proficient Lasher -75
Skilled Dodger -40

Points Remaining: 3

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 02:25 AM
I'll be including old McFragile in the roster, as well as in set 2 of the Gauntlet Exhibition.

After this neck-breaking experience, I think the next exhibition match will be simply an 8-man Megabeast hunt in the maze.

Heh.

Necroticplague
2011-04-12, 04:47 AM
Oh yeah, a megabeast. Did some research on my poison, and saw how ill-fated I am against the minotaurs. My poison has [SIZE_DILUTES], so I'd need to keep pumping more poison into huge creatures to get the same affects.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 04:50 AM
It wasn't the poison dilution, actually. You never really landed a penetrating bite; given the two or three bites you did land according combat log they were fatty bites that never penetrated to the blood vessels. There was simply too much minotaur for your fangs to handle.

Plus, it started the fight with a charge and a gutpunch, so that wasn't really ideal.

Necroticplague
2011-04-12, 05:15 AM
I honestly thought that the antman would be the one I had that problem with. Didn't think I would be able to get through the chitin. Maybe these fangs are sharper than I give them credit for. Bit through the chitin, and even bone at one point. Can't bite through iron, though.

Dragero
2011-04-12, 06:23 AM
Fun fact to anybody looking to play an antman: They an wield 3 shields and a weapon VERY well.

I just had one antman hold off 6 of my military dwarfs for about a minute with just some weak shields and a spear.

Imagine if it was armored and using a steel spear!

Atelm
2011-04-12, 09:25 AM
Signing up one poor fool damned to an agonizing fate. :smallsmile:

Demitel (Elf 240 points)

Equipment

- Silver Breastplate (20 points)
- Silver Leggings (14 points)
- Leather Gauntlets (4 points)
- Leather High Boots (5 points)
- Silver Helm (12 points)
- Silver Shield (60 points)
- Copper Long Sword (30 points)

Skills

- Skilled in Sword (60 points)
- Competent in Shield (24 points)
- Adequate in Armor (6 points)
- Novice in Dodging (5 points)

Should come right down to 0 points left.

RndmNumGen
2011-04-12, 10:43 AM
I'll Join.

Name: Mincemeat
Race: Yeti(100)
Skills: Novice Axe User(4), Novice Armor User(2); Total 6
Weapon: Bronze Battleaxe(48)
Armor: Leather Helm(6), Breastplate(10), Leggings(7), Gauntlets(4), High Boots(5); Total 42

Grand Total: 98 Points(2 Remaining).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-12, 03:18 PM
Wait, 3 kills? Not expecting that, not in the least! I put that down the luck.

Typhon is very. Very. Scary.

Necroticplague
2011-04-12, 04:13 PM
Yes, but Typhon did well because the enemies didn't play on his weakness (while several of you are). The bite is a bit like a whip. Heck, in older versions, they did the same kind of damage. While it can very effectively mangle an unarmored opponent (almost all my attacks tore the fat and did something to the muscle), it is useless against a armored opponent (in exhibition1, i tried to bite through chain mail three times, each time failing).

kpenguin
2011-04-12, 05:04 PM
Hm. Interesting. Might give this a go.

Why are leather shields and bucklers not allowed? As far as I know, you can still pump them out at the Leatherworker's Workshop.

I should know. A militia commander of mine decapitated a forgotten beast (an ash monster) with a wolf leather shield.

Pokonic
2011-04-12, 06:10 PM
May I try? If so, here is ManBreaker!
Minotaur(140 total points)
Iron Greaves 36
Iron High Boots 20
Competent Dodging 36
Skilled wrestling 40
Novice Fighting 3
Ya, he is screwed in the arena, but will make a good tank for teams!:smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-12, 06:13 PM
Does the AI wrestle? I can't remember if I've seen an unarmoured character go to wrestle rather than scratching biting and kicking and punching and stuff...

Pokonic
2011-04-12, 06:22 PM
Oh my never thought of that! Oh well, the main point of this guy is to charge and barge into whatever is in front of him, so wrestling is just there as something to do if he loses a horn.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-12, 06:35 PM
Oh my never thought of that! Oh well, the main point of this guy is to charge and barge into whatever is in front of him, so wrestling is just there as something to do if he loses a horn.

I was thinking of how interesting an antman wrestler would be. He could pin both your arms and then choke you out. However, only under Human guidance, so...

edit: I kinda like ants. You can tell, can't you? :smallwink:

Necroticplague
2011-04-12, 06:41 PM
They do what has the highest chance of suceeding as a primary, then resort to other things as secondaries. For example, by Serpant man biter primariliy targets extremities with his bite (extremities easier to hit, bite highest skill), and would then punch, lash (tail-slap), and claw as secondaries randomly. If wrestling is your highest skill, then your character will wrestle.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 12:40 AM
Does the AI wrestle? I can't remember if I've seen an unarmoured character go to wrestle rather than scratching biting and kicking and punching and stuff...

Yeah, the AI wrestles pretty effectively especially if they have the size bonuses to go with it, as the minotaur in the Exhibition did.

Running Exhibition 2 part 2 in a few hours, including everyone else.

banthesun
2011-04-13, 05:17 AM
It's been a while since I played with my dorfs, so a couple of questions:

Any way to pump the stats in this tournament, and can I use obsidian swords?

Non-combat stats and sharp blades were going to be the driving force behing my militia, before paranoia and mad-science took over.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 05:20 AM
When was the last time you played?

Also, no, for the purposes of the tournament, no obsidian swords, and stats are left pretty much as they are*.

*Stats meaning STR, AG, and so on, right? Because skills are provided for in the OP.

banthesun
2011-04-13, 08:49 AM
About two years ago, when I realised the game was litterally sending me insane I stopped. I realised I was wandering round rubbing my hands together and cackling about new plans (specifically, building a hidden vault under my fortress where I could breed a new generation of super-dwarves. Their entire living space was to be flooded with chest high water so they could level up swimming as they trained).

And now for my dude:

Dwarf +240 =240
Steel Crossbow -104 = 136
Talented Marksdwarf -105 = 31
Skilled Archer - 30 = 1

As for a name, there was one I wanted, but I've forgotten it. Is there any list of dwarf names still about. I think it began with N.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 08:53 AM
Was it Nagash?

Anyway, finally down to running that damn exhibition, haha

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 03:52 PM
Okay, fight fans, we're back and ready to roll!

Today's Exhibition matches are brought to you by BattleAxe Deodorant: the deodorant that chops body odor in half!

Thanks Olon. We've got some sad news, fight fans! After his showing in the exhibition matches earlier today, Celes McUrist was recalled to the mountainhomes! Something about "returning that bloody adamantine pick before you hurt yourself". At any rate, another candidate has been advanced in his stead - Celes McFragile, a Gremlin Lasher with a gorgeous Adamantine Scourge!

His gauntlet match is starting now. Let's go the arena and find out how he's doing!

Gauntlet: Celes McFragile, Gremlin Lasher

So what do you think about Celes' chances, Olon?

Well Vukod, Celes looks to be a slight variation on your typical Glass Cannon dancer-type gladiator. He's carrying a nasty expensive weapon, but he's wearing some light armor instead of going in the buff like most dancers do.

It's a much appreciated touch, Olon.

For sure, Vukod. We know he's a fairly competent lasher and dodger, so we're about to see how well his skills support his expensive weapon. Here comes the first opponent - a fellow Gremlin Lasher.

Celes appears to be playing it cautious - he's waiting for the other Gremlin to strike!

That's a good strategy, Vukod. Letting your opponent make the first move opens him up to potentially devastating counterattacks.

Indeed it does! Look at that! The Lasher went for an opening... and missed! Celes just brought his scourge right on the poor fellow's wrist, and there goes his hand! And now Celes follows up with a punch right to the foot!

That's an odd place to strike, but I think he might be setting something up, Vukod!

Crafty of him - he just struck the Lasher in both feet with his scourge! That looks incredibly painful - and so does that vicious body blow Celes just hit the other gremlin with.

He's going to have a hard time breathing, Vukod - never underestimate the power of a rib shot.

He's going for the feet again! One! Two! The second attack severed his foot at the ankle! The other gremlin is down! Celes takes one home, people!

An easy victory for him - but here comes the next challenger, the Kobold Knife Fighter. Remember, the Kobold has a slight size advantage over the Gremlin, but he's just as fast - this fight might cause some problems!

Or maybe not, Olon! Quick as a viper, Celes just tagged that Kobold right in the thigh! He looks mighty pissed!

And angry fighters make mistakes - look at that!

That's right, Olon, they do. That kobold just rushed in and got tagged in the thigh again! That leg won't be able to do much after one more shot!

The kobold keeps on trying to charge, Vukod, and he's paying for it. He just took a hit to the head, the arm, and the leg in quick succession, and the bleeding's getting pretty bad.

For sure. I don't know how he's still standing and HE JUST LANDED A BIG BULL RUSH ON CELES! CELES IS DOWN!

No wait, look! He's down, but not out, and the Kobold just flopped over from the effort - this one is over!

Celes moves up for the finishing blow and THERE it is! Scourge right to the back of the neck! I don't want to know how that feels!

Celes' next opponent might - here comes the Antman Striker. Will the chitin protect against the adamant scourge?

Apparently not! Celes is really carving up the opposition here tonight! That's three hits for Celes and none for the Soldier Antman. Things are looking really good for Celes tonight!

That light and that sharp of a scourge allows a fighter to really dance around his opponent while stinging him with some really deep cuts. Every blow from that scourge is likely to sever a tendon and disable a gladiator. I'd hate to be in the ring against that!

That goblin swordsman has no choice, though. Here he comes. He looks pretty confident - there's the expected charge! Celes leaps out of the way and tags the goblin just over the ear!

The goblin just switched direction!

He's barreled into Celes and OH, HE JUST LANDED TWO BIG THRUSTS! HE'S TWISTING THE SWORD! IT'S OVER! CELES IS DOWN!

A good showing for a replacement, but not as good as I might have expected! He's going to have to step up his game if he wants to win the tourney!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-06.png

Kills: 3

Gauntlet: Shrigijeelgis, Kobold Swordsman

And we've got Shrigijeelgis, the Kobold swordsman, up next! As an early signer, Shrigijeelgis participated in the first exhibition match and made a fine showing, taking out two of the three opponents with assists from Typhon. Let's see how he does on his own today!

Here's his first opponent the Gremlin WHAM, what a hit! The Lasher was barely on the stage before Shrigijeelgis hit him with a big charge, opening a long gash on the Gremlin's arm with his sword!

The little guy has an aggression you don't normally see in kobolds, and I like that. He's just hammering at him with the sword now!

And a thrust! And a kick! And a slash! This fight is over, folks!

But not the gauntlet. Here's the Kobold knife fighter now, eager to meet Shrigijeelgis in battle!

When it comes to a fight between kobolds, the victory usually falls to the faster between the two. Shrigijeelgis is toting some chain mail and a shield as well as his steel sword, so he may have a speed disadvantage.

The other kobold is definitely moving a lot faster, Olon. He's aiming strikes at Shrigijeelgis that the gladiator just can't seem to counter! He's being forced on the defensive, and we've seen he's not comfortable in that position.

He's starting to dictate the pace - he's returning strikes now. He just landed a nice kick to the other kobold's arm!

That's all he landed, though. You can hear the clash of iron on steel from here! This is a parrier's fight. It looks like their sword skill is too evenly matched to I SPOKE TOO SOON! Shrigijeelgis just landed a nasty slash to his opponent's thigh!

It's a bleeder, but not a bad one. The other kobold is still standing!

He's landing hits to the legs now, but Shrigijeelgis' leggings are deflecting the blows - A PENETRATING HIT! SHRIGIJEELGIS IS DOWN WITH A BROKEN LEG! The other kobold is pushing him now! This one's about to end!

LOOK AT THAT! LOOK AT THAT! SHRIGIJEELGIS IS FIGHTING FROM THE GROUND! HE JUST TOOK OFF THE OTHER KOBOLD'S ARM! AND NOW HE'S GOTTEN HIM DOWN WITH A SHIELD BASH!

A BIG HIT FROM THE FLAT OF THE SWORD! SHRIGIJEELGIS WINS! AMAZING!

He's still got eight opponents to go, though, and an Antman Striker is one of them - this one is likely to be nasty, they don't show any mercy!

Shrigijeelgis won't be able to do much with that disabled leg, but he's got spirit! As soon as the Antman moved into rage he drove his sword into its thorax and gave it a nasty twist! The Antman falls! It's unconscious!

Incredible! He's fighting prone, that shouldn't be possible!

These gladiators really want that sponsorship, Vukod!

Indeed they do! This one's over! The Antman just lost its head! Bring on the Goblin swordsman! Can Shrigijeelgis do it?

That Goblin's being wary - he's seen what the kobold just did while prone. Shrigijeelgis appears to be incredibly dangerous with or without the use of his leg-

THE GOBLIN STRIKES! Shrigijeelgis brought his shield up JUST IN TIME! What reflexes!

I'm not normally a fan of turtle tactics, but they sem to be working for our kobold friend! Look at those reflexes!

And that dexterity! He just landed a strike to the Goblin's thigh! That's a big one, there's blood everywhere! OH the Goblin just tried to take Shrigijeelgis' head off with a big overhand, but ended up taking a vicious counter right to the chest! He looks winded!

The goblin falls! Our kobold friend just took his foot off at the ankle! And now his arm! This fight is over!

Up next, an Elven Archer! I think this is it for Shrigijeelgis! Can he deal with a ranged attacker without his speed?

We're about to find out! Here's the Archer now!

Now look at this! Shrigijeelgis is crawling towards the Elf, using his shield as cover! That's intelligent, right there! The arrows are bouncing off like nothing!

He's reached the elf and OH a pommel shot to the thigh! That Elf needs to get an arrow off, or he's done for!

Too late! Haha, will you look at that!

Ladies and gents, you might want to avert your eyes. Shrigijeelgis just gutted the elf like a fish, and now he's stabbing him over and over again! This one's done! Another one for the one-legged kobold!

And now a Dwarven Maceman - can the little guy win the day, or will he- nope.

That was abrupt! Shrigijeelgis wasn't able to block the Maceman's first attack and took a shot right in the kisser. Still, taking out three opponents while prone - not bad at all!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-07.png

Kills: 5

We're going on a brief break - and then the next gladiator, Zip-Zip McGee!

AGH I don't have the stamina for all of them. I'll just give you guys the general breakdown.

Zip-Zip performs amazingly well, taking down everyone up until the Minotaur Wrestler, when he gets the stuffing beaten out of him then gored in the spine.

Kills: 8

Gauntlet: Silverfang, Werewolf Biter

Silverfang goes the distance too, mauling everyone until getting gored in the brain by the minotaur wrestler.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-09-1.png

Kills: 8

yeah i kinda took the picture at the wrong time :P

Gauntlet: Demitel, Elf Swordsman

Demitel was amazingly lucky, with his copper longsword. He murdered the hell out of every opponent, taking only two big hits. When he came up against the Giant Desert Scorpion - who, by the way, has a BattleAxe - he basically stabbed its axe pincer off with one good hit, and basically poked it until it bled out.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-10.png

Kills: 10

Gauntlet: Mincemeat, Yeti Interrogator

Mincemeat did fine up until he ran into the Human Spearman. Got poked in the brain and died horribly.

Kills: 6

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-11.png

Gauntlet: Manbreaker, Minotaur Wrestler

Manbreaker did good up until he ran into the Giant Desert Scorpion. After it got its axe lodged in his chest, it tagged him with a sting and then basically started ripping the poor guy apart.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/gzu117/DF%20Supatourney/Exhib02-12.png

Kills: 9

So, things are looking good for Zip-Zip, Demitel, and Manbreaker, as well as Typhon and Silverfang.

Dragero
2011-04-13, 04:28 PM
Did Zipzip take any major hits from anyone? It sounds like he did surprisingly well!

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 04:30 PM
He did fine until the minotaur punched and gored him in the head (this made him drop his stuff, then he got tagged in the spine). The only thing that actually managed to hurt him badly was the werewolf from a bite, but he cut it in the spine right after that one.

Batyzero
2011-04-13, 05:14 PM
So did we skip MintChocolate for this exhibition?
Or did he just do so hilariously bad it wasn't worth mentioning? :smallbiggrin:

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 05:26 PM
Oh christ, I knew I forgot someone's pic...

I think he got taken out by the kobold knifer in the second round; the slade whip slowed him down a bit too much.

kpenguin
2011-04-13, 06:40 PM
Hm. Probably going to slaughtered, yada yada, but oh well..

Garth Maul
Human - +240
Iron Gauntlet - 16
Iron High Boot - 20
Silver Maul - 32
Skilled Hammerman - 60

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 06:46 PM
Well, if you gotta go out, go out swinging with an awesome name.

kpenguin
2011-04-13, 09:51 PM
Of course. :smallbiggrin:

Also, you hadn't answered my question~

Hm. Interesting. Might give this a go.

Why are leather shields and bucklers not allowed? As far as I know, you can still pump them out at the Leatherworker's Workshop.

I should know. A militia commander of mine decapitated a forgotten beast (an ash monster) with a wolf leather shield.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 10:41 PM
Ooops, I must have missed your question in the furor.

Leather quite simply isn't a selectable material in the mats for weapons or shields due to certain of its properties in the DF Raws. It doesn't hold an edge and can't be [HARD], if I recall correctly.

Now, I could mod leather to be "hard", but that would have the hilarious effect of people now being able to slap each other silly with floppy leather swords.

EDIT: How the devil'd you get a wolf leather shield? Was it artifact?

kpenguin
2011-04-13, 10:46 PM
I can order my leatherworkers to make leather shields and bucklers and I've done so when I don't have the metals to spare. That particular wolf leather shield was not an artifact, though it was "named" after pulling off that particular feat.

And what a spectacular feat it was.

I'm working on v0.31.21, no mods save for a graphics tileset.

Batyzero
2011-04-13, 10:56 PM
Second round?
That means I got 1 kill!
Sweet, MintChocolate has surpassed my expectations 10 times over!

banthesun
2011-04-14, 04:24 AM
After running a couple of tests, it seems my dwarf is less powerful than many unarmed untrained foes. Unless I can come up with a new dwarfy concept in time, I may be retiring from competition. I don't want to be a liability to any team mates. (I checked, he's a liability against most foes.)

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-14, 04:30 AM
After running a couple of tests, it seems my dwarf is less powerful than many unarmed untrained foes. Unless I can come up with a new dwarfy concept in time, I may be retiring from competition. I don't want to be a liability to any team mates. (I checked, he's a liability against most foes.)

You could just switch his weapon around for a big heavy metal object.

Dragero
2011-04-14, 06:25 AM

Your main issue is the fact that reloading crossbows takes the better part of a year in a 1v1 or 2v2 fight, and that is normally enough time for your enemy to get within chopping range, unless you have something between the two of you (Which we don't have, in this case)

RndmNumGen
2011-04-14, 10:11 AM
Stupid spearman...

Okay, this is what I'm going to do instead.

Name: Mincemeat Tenderizer
Race: Yeti(100)
Skills: Adequate Wrestler(12), Competent Armor User(12)
Weapon: None
Armor: Iron Helm(24), Iron Mail Shirt(48), Leather Leggings(7)

Grand Total: 100 Points(0 Remaining)

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-15, 12:23 PM
Bumping for new interest.

Batyzero
2011-04-15, 04:29 PM
So just out of curiosity how are teams going to be formed?
Will Sarco pair people with any specific criteria?
Will it be random?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-15, 04:32 PM
The last time I ran this thing, it was random.

We ended up with some pretty unusual teams, like two minotaurs (the Bash Brothers) and two kobolds (as far as I recall, one was called Jack-Jack.)

I'll probably be doing it randomly again, though certain underpowered teams will be changed up (for example, two archers or tiny naked wrestler gremlins)

Studoku
2011-04-15, 05:52 PM
Apparently I have some points left over (probably due to poor adding up on my part). Can I buy competant wrestling and some leather gauntlets?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-15, 06:02 PM
Apparently I have some points left over (probably due to poor adding up on my part). Can I buy competant wrestling and some leather gauntlets?

You could, or you could save them up for the next round where they'll give you a return of another 34 points in addition to the standard Werewolf points. It's up to you.

El_Pablo
2011-04-16, 03:27 AM
So, I followed the link in your sig, and here I am. I would like to submit a lowly human.

Anklyonidus - the not quite so trained.
Human
Equipment- (37.5)Copper flail, (120)Bronze shield, Leather [(5)cap, (4)gauntlets, (5)high boots)], Oak [(9)Helm, (18)Mail shirt, (13.5)Greaves]
Skills - Novice [(3)Fighting, (6)Mace, (4)Shield, (5)Dodging, (2)Armor, (3)Misc. Object]

1 point left over.

Hoping to level up some skills eventually and not get eaten by some crazy snake man!!

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 03:35 AM
Awesome, almost halfway there in terms of signups, haha.

iyaerP
2011-04-16, 04:50 AM
I would like admission to the ranks of the brave and noble warriors fighting for the glory of Armok, God of Blood.

Male Dwarf: Markand
Silver warhammer (26 pts)
Oak Shield (45 pts)
Talented Hammerdwarf (126 pts)
Skilled Shield-Dwarf(40 pts)

2 pts remains.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 04:53 AM
Markand joins the roster. Thanks for the application, and good luck in the arena.

Psionic Dog
2011-04-16, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you need all the help you can get reaching 32, so here's #16.

Name: Arf
Race: Dark Gnome (340 points)
Equipment:
Leather Armor (helm, plate, leggings, gauntlets, high boots): 36
Oak buckler - 22.5
Steel large dagger - 64

Skills:
Proficient Knife - 75
Proficient Dodger(tiny) - 60
Competent Shield - 24
Competent Fighting - 18
Adequate Armor - 12
Adequate Wresling - 12
Adequate Miscellanous object - 9

Points left: 7.5

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 02:16 PM
16 is a fine number. I'll probably run Exhibition 3, next.

Nanoblack
2011-04-16, 03:26 PM
Name: Darguun
Race: Goblin (240pts)
Skills: Skilled Spearman(50pts), Skilled Fighter(30pts), Skilled Shield User(40pts)
Equipment: Bronze Spear(40pts), Oak Shield(45pts)
Leftover: 35pts

http://daydream-graphics.com/artists/cavotta/images/mc-mag-goblin-piledriver.jpg

Did some test runs and he does well against pretty much anything that can't fit him into it's mouth. There was one interesting fight against a werewolf where he pinned it to the ground with a spear through the heart. You'd think that would have ended it, but he just sorta sat on its chest twisting the spear until it clawed at him, forcing him to hop off and causing a fountain of blood.

EDIT: Changing spear to Bronze, no price change.

factotum
2011-04-16, 03:54 PM
Oh, sod it, let's see if we can die in entertaining fashion:

Name: Dorig
Race: Troll (120pts)
Skills: Talented Wrestler (84), Competent Dodging (36)
Equipment: None

0 points remaining

I just want to see how well a completely unarmed troll does in the fight, OK? :smallwink:

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 03:57 PM
The management ENCOURAGES experimentation! :smallwink:

I love spears myself. And wrestling is always hilarious.

iyaerP
2011-04-16, 06:28 PM
The wrestling in DF is best in adventure mode where you can control your own actions, but it is almost always amusing under normal circumstances.

The best examples of course are instances of players being killed when a giant desert scorpion pulls off their pants and beats them to death with them. Or the sock wielding Bronze collossus. always terrifying.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 06:36 PM
Well, one of my favorite instances of hilarious wrestling related deaths is the reason the GDS in the last exhibition match set was wielding a battle axe.

Picture: a dwarven axeman, busy wandering the deserts. He is ambushed by a Giant Desert Scorpion. No problem, he thinks, I'll make short work of it with my axe!

He lands a hefty blow to its carapace.

The axe gets stuck. They struggle for possession and he loses it.

The scorpion takes the axe out and chops him in half.

I love Giant Desert Scorpions.

Nanoblack
2011-04-16, 06:47 PM
Are we getting any exhibition matches going on anytime soon?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the Megabeast hunt. I'll be grouping you guys into three groups of six, and we'll run through the Megabeasts from the semi-megas to the Hydra to the Dragon, to the horrific Bronze Abomination. Which is just a Bronze Colossus that I added horrific blades to.

What? It's an arena, you'd expect frighteningly modified creatures. :smallcool:

kpenguin
2011-04-16, 07:43 PM
Hm.

Garth Maul's reliance on hammertime won't be quite as effective on Megabeasts as it would be on his fellow humanoids. Oh well. Let's see how this goes.

iyaerP
2011-04-16, 09:50 PM
I sincerily hope that Markand doesn't get matched against any of the bronze collossi. Silver doesn't do ANYTHING against a BC.

Actually, I don't expect to do well against any of these prospective opponants. Silver warhammers are good for fighting armoured humanoids. Axes, spears and swords are what kill megabeasts.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 09:56 PM
Yeah, about that...

I think everyone's going to die horribly in one burst of dragonfire.

Let's see how this turns out. Posting exhibition results in a couple hours.

kpenguin
2011-04-16, 09:58 PM
So we're all equally screwed. Yaaaaaay.:smallbiggrin:

iyaerP
2011-04-16, 10:08 PM
Naaah, the shieldfighters can block dragonfire.

Only way in the game to stop it as a matter of fact. :D

darguun
nagash
zip-zip Mcgee
shirgijeelgis
antennae

Are the fighters I see doing well in this battle. They have the weapons and the weapons materials that can actually HARM megabeasts. I discounted the whip and hammer fighters as most megabeasts are too big/mean or have [NOPAIN], so the primary usefullness of those weapons is negated. I left out the werewolves/yetis/minotaur because their primary advantage is that they are big. Which doesn't matter, because a giant or a bronze collossus or an ettin is an order of magnitude bigger than any of them.

What is left are the fighters with bronze or better weapons of such a type as to be able to hurt megabeasts.

That is where my money is for this challange.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-16, 10:14 PM
And Typhon's venom, super-useful against Humans and smaller, is orders of magnitude less useful...

banthesun
2011-04-16, 11:01 PM
I have come up with another idea, one which, in testing, ran through a gauntlet of fellow gladiators without so much as a scratch (In the end I god bored and dropped a collossi on him). However, I couldn't find leather helms, breastplates or gauntlets in my item list: are they being subsituted, and if so, is there much difference between the different types of armour I can buy?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 11:12 PM
If you don't have them, the breastplate is "armor", the gauntlets are "gloves", and the helm is a "cap".

By the way?

I'm changing the order around. Dragon melted Bronze Horror and Bronze Colossus like they were fish.

It was horrifying.

Also the first set of megabeast hunters is going up in fifteen minutes. Let's just say you didn't do so well.

Pokonic
2011-04-16, 11:45 PM
Huh, it seemes that the Weapons and Armor Analysis/Roster
is messed up for my gladiator, as everything is one space farther left than it should. Same for a few others, too.

banthesun
2011-04-17, 12:06 AM
If you don't have them, the breastplate is "armor", the gauntlets are "gloves", and the helm is a "cap".

And the mail is "vest" ect?

iyaerP
2011-04-17, 01:16 AM
Also the first set of megabeast hunters is going up in fifteen minutes. Let's just say you didn't do so well.

I eagerly await to see how horribly we got slaughtered.

kpenguin
2011-04-17, 02:47 AM
I am also excited for results, though I think Garth Maul will not be in the first group.

TFT
2011-04-17, 05:34 AM
Ack, 3:30 A.M.? It's really late here. :smallsigh:

However, I do want to submit this:

Name: Solus
Race: Elf, Total = 240
Skills: Adept Archer, Skilled Armor User, Total Remaining = 124
Weapon: Bronze Bow, Total Remaining = 72
Armor: Iron Breast Plate, Iron Leggings, Leather Low Boots, Total Remaining= 0

Pokonic
2011-04-17, 11:54 AM
Huh, I wonder how well my little Manbreaker will do in the hunt, being a semimegabeast himself,albet a unarmed one? Sure, he will be killed within the first 10 secs of seeing a dragon, but so will everyone else.:smallbiggrin:

factotum
2011-04-17, 03:33 PM
Is it just me, or is this one of the longest 15 minutes on record? :smallwink:

Necroticplague
2011-04-17, 05:07 PM
And Typhon's venom, super-useful against Humans and smaller, is orders of magnitude less useful...

Yes, true, but the bite is still sharp enough to completely peirce through a layer of chitin, fat, and muscle, and still open a blood vessel and cut a tendon. And to be more precise, the venom is useless. The venom only lasts for 1/5 of a turn (though if they become parylyzed, that last as long as it takes them to recover). So I can't simply "keep pumping more in." Though, againsts the dragon I have the best odds (I could bite through it, but I wouldn't be able to bite through the bronze collosus).

Nanoblack
2011-04-18, 10:36 AM
Has it been fifteen minutes yet?

xingbing1
2011-04-18, 12:58 PM
Haven't played df in a while, but ho hum, count me in!

Now he's probably not going to last very long, but:

Name: Uaekcownxp
Race: Gremlin
Equipment: Large steel dagger
Skills: Talented Knife user, Professional Dodger, Adequate Fighter

Points remaining: 2

The name doesn't mean anything, it's just a random string of letters. :)

Pokonic
2011-04-18, 02:45 PM
Longest fifteen minutes i have ever seen.:smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-18, 02:46 PM
Non-euclidean time geometry wot wot?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-18, 07:17 PM
Fifteen minutes, two days, what's the diff. :smalltongue:

Sorry dudes, had to spend the weekend recovering after a mishap with a bottle of lambanog. Specifically, the mishap was the contents of the bottle going down my throat.

Once I've had approximately three cups of coffee, I'll post the results and writeups for exhibition 3.1 and 3.2, since I might as well get that done (it doesn't need too much thought to run the match in DF).

And spoiler warning: Hydras are insane, BCs are insaner, and Dragons are insanest, apparently. I have never seen something take a BC down without more than a bruise, but, damn, that Dragon.

In fact I'm thinking of re-running the exhibition as all 19 gladiators against the three True megabeasts. Turns out 6 can't even scratch a hydra.

EDIT: And before you ask, Lambanog is coconut wine. When distilled more than once it shoots past 150 proof and basically becomes equivalent to motorcycle fuel.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-18, 09:57 PM
EDIT: And before you ask, Lambanog is coconut wine. When distilled more than once it shoots past 150 proof and basically becomes equivalent to motorcycle fuel.

Sounds delicious to me.

I died first, didn't I...

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-18, 10:27 PM
Sounds delicious to me.

I died first, didn't I...

Actually, it might have been either Sir or Typhon. I'll have to check my notes, and also my screenshots.

kpenguin
2011-04-19, 01:12 AM
Nooooo... Typhon! But, he's the crowd favorite. :smallfrown:

xingbing1
2011-04-19, 02:15 AM
Long 15 minutes, hehe.

Does Uaekcownxp get to take part in the next exhibition?

Nanoblack
2011-04-19, 05:45 PM
Must... not... make... another... comment...about... how long... these 15 minutes... have been... :p

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-19, 10:26 PM
Actually, it might have been either Sir or Typhon. I'll have to check my notes, and also my screenshots.

Really? I suppose that makes sense.

I'm just surprised my thrown-together-in-a-couple-seconds-cause-I-thought-it-was-kinda-cool build does, y'know anything. Gonna die to the first actual gladiator though...

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-20, 07:10 PM
I think I'm going to be ill.

So far, none of the teams have even gotten past the Hydra. The first group, mostly composed of small critters, managed to scratch and bruise it a little though.

I think Toady put the new Hydras on steroids.

I'll try running em again as a 10-on-Megabeast fight.

El_Pablo
2011-04-20, 09:06 PM
I think I'm going to be ill.

So far, none of the teams have even gotten past the Hydra. The first group, mostly composed of small critters, managed to scratch and bruise it a little though.

I think Toady put the new Hydras on steroids.

I'll try running em again as a 10-on-Megabeast fight.

We are barely hurting it, and you want to do ten on? Give us a chance, put us all in. :smallamused:

Celesyne
2011-04-20, 09:54 PM
Just a little aside, thanks to you running this, and making me think about my choices (and a big hand from finding the Lazy Newb pack) I've finally gotten interested in Dwarf Fortress again. Now if all the new stuff wasn't so confusing...

And we could find out how horribly we are getting mutilated by megabeasts...hope the alcohol induced ill isn't keeping you too far down

iyaerP
2011-04-21, 01:12 AM
Just a little aside, thanks to you running this, and making me think about my choices (and a big hand from finding the Lazy Newb pack) I've finally gotten interested in Dwarf Fortress again. Now if all the new stuff wasn't so confusing...

And we could find out how horribly we are getting mutilated by megabeasts...hope the alcohol induced ill isn't keeping you too far down

Just make tons of stone pots. They are to barrels as quantum stockpiles from dumping are to normal stockpiles.

it is AWESOME.

Also: BEEEEEES! and Eggs! and chickens that lay bees instead of eggs! (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79069.0)

xingbing1
2011-04-21, 01:51 PM
Bee-laying chickens... what will the df community come up with next?! :smalltongue:

Meh, they're all crazy on those forums... and amazingly, self-regulating and troll free! I should really get back into df.

Psionic Dog
2011-04-22, 08:47 AM
Aren't megabeasts a lethal fun challenge for a full squad of legendary weapon dwarfs? It seems like this contest is more "who lived had fun the longest" rather than any expectation of seeing the #2 Fun Dispenser.

Any chance we could get the rankings based on time lived, and then start over in groups of three facing the Semi-Megabeasts gauntlet? (Minotaur, Ettin, Cyclops, Giant, possibly Ogre too)

Sir
2011-04-22, 02:07 PM
I more made my guy because, hey, tiny kobolds with hammers are always funny, rather than being super-effective. So I don't really expect him to do much more than hold the mega's attention for a couple seconds with dodging, which while saddening is sure to be hilarious. I wonder if a hammer can damage a bronze colossus...

Edit: I also think that all of us V. one mega beast at a time might work better. As you seem to have found out, they are deadly little buggers :smallsmile:.

xingbing1
2011-04-24, 04:19 AM
Has this died... or is Sarco still recovering? :P

El_Pablo
2011-04-24, 07:30 PM
Has this died... or is Sarco still recovering? :P

I beleive the holidays have slowed many a thread here on the forums. I would worry if it persists through this coming week.

xingbing1
2011-04-28, 11:31 AM
Sarco... where are you?? :smalleek:

factotum
2011-04-28, 01:01 PM
Sarco... where are you?? :smalleek:

He hasn't posted in ANY thread for more than a week now...

Jjeinn-tae
2011-04-28, 05:20 PM
He hasn't posted in ANY thread for more than a week now...

He hasn't been online in a week now. I guess this might be a bad time to ask if this is still open.

I don't know you, but I hope you get better soon Sarco.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-13, 05:53 AM
I'm back!

Haven't been online in AGES, but then getting hit by a damn car will do that to you.

Is anyone still interested in this? We can re-start signups if you'd like.

factotum
2011-08-13, 06:04 AM
Haven't been online in AGES, but then getting hit by a damn car will do that to you.

I guess it will! You OK?

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-13, 06:09 AM
I guess it will! You OK?

I'm pretty okay, all things considered! The car wasn't going that fast when it hit me, so I was lucky enough to get away with only a few bruised ribs. The problem was that it went right over my ankle after that. Suffice to say, I currently walk funny and have been going through physical therapy the past month.

Thankfully I don't need a good ankle to sit at my computer, hahaha

Level8Mudcrab
2011-08-13, 06:22 AM
I'm back!

Welcome back. Good to hear you're alright.

I'm still interested in this, if you decide to continue or start over.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-08-13, 07:23 AM
I'm still here. It's good to see you again, Sarco, but I'm sorry to hear about your ankle! Cars are large scary objects indeed. They menace with spikes of car

Necroticplague
2011-08-13, 07:37 AM
Still interested here.

Dragero
2011-08-13, 11:57 AM
I'm back!

Welcome back!

As your life advisor some random guy on the internet, I recommend becoming a superhero who destroys cars.

Pokonic
2011-08-15, 12:31 AM
Still interested, and how about we start where we left off with the megabeast hunt?

TFT
2011-08-15, 01:08 AM
Still up for this.

iyaerP
2011-08-15, 09:39 AM
same. I would be fine with keeping my dorf as is.

factotum
2011-08-15, 12:42 PM
Same here.

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-17, 02:13 PM
Glad you are doing ok! Hope your taking time to heal up man, bad stuff there.

I'm throwing in as well!

Name: Kick'em Yarbles

Dwarf - 240pts - Martial Trance

Skills:
Spear - Skilled - 30
Fighting - Skilled - 30
Armor - Skilled - 30

Gear:
Spear - Steel - 80
Breastplate - Bronze - 40
Helmet - Bronze - 24
Gauntlets - Leather - 4

Points left: 2

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-17, 11:29 PM
I'll add Yarbles to the roster soon. :D

Now, the Megabeast hunt too will proceed shortly... with a tweest!

Instead of the various gladiators being dumped into the arena in direct contact with a megabeast, I shall construct a great Maze of cooled obsidian, in which the gladiators - all 19 of them - will be placed.

You have some say in what will hunt them - will it be a fierce Dragon, a nigh-invincible Hydra, or the dreaded Bronze Colossus? You decide how they die - or what they will slay.

(Although to be honest this might be more survivable if I instead hunted them predator style with a fully kitted out legendary fighter - Predator style)

banthesun
2011-08-18, 04:02 AM
I shall construct a great Maze of cooled obsidian-

STOP!

Why waste half an hour of your life building a maze that can be screwed up with a single mistaken allegiance, when you could waste half an hour of your life making a maze you can reuse over and over again?

There's an init file you can use to change the arena directly, you can read all about it here (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Arena)

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-18, 06:25 AM
Are we not dorf? Since when do we choose the easiest possible solution?

Okay fine I'll muck around with the init files instead. *sigh*.

EDIT: Huh, I never noticed this file before. This literally makes this SO MUCH EASIER it's not even funny.

EDIT2: I'll put it up to a vote - do you wish for your gladiators to be hunted by a Megabeast, or an uber-adventurer? Either way means fresh glory and also fresh body parts.

Necroticplague
2011-08-18, 08:14 AM
EDIT2: I'll put it up to a vote - do you wish for your gladiators to be hunted by a Megabeast, or an uber-adventurer? Either way means fresh glory and also fresh body parts.

Definately an Uber-Adventurer. And for an interesting idea: will their be any hazards in this course? Deep water, lava, traps, or the like?

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-18, 08:19 AM
Definately an Uber-Adventurer. And for an interesting idea: will their be any hazards in this course? Deep water, lava, traps, or the like?

Mostly just lava. I'm tempted to put hostile death-beasts in pools of water (death-pools I guess), but you know that's just going to result in someone trying to jump a sturgeon and ending up in a rather tragic - if incredibly hilarious - death.

The uber-adventurer shall be heavily armed. Which means I've got ten bucks that says it'll be one of the kobolds that gets him.

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-18, 09:37 AM
Hell, make the uber adventurer a walking/air-breathing Carp-man!

Dragero
2011-08-18, 12:25 PM
Hell, make the uber adventurer a walking/air-breathing Carp-man!

But then nothing will stop him, not even the hydra!

Necroticplague
2011-08-18, 12:44 PM
The uber-adventurer shall be heavily armed. Which means I've got ten bucks that says it'll be one of the kobolds that gets him.

If all my years of dungeon crawling have taught me anything, its that this is a very safe bet.

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-18, 02:41 PM
DIBS! Inbefore everyone. FYI. :P

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-18, 03:01 PM
Jjeinn would like to join, took me a little bit to realize you were putting starting points and not cost of the races in the points column. :smallredface:

Based on a kobold monk I was rather fond of, then partially made to be competent in a Dwarf Fortress setting, I'm betting he dies quickly. :smalltongue: If I'm able to vote, I say Uberadventurer as well, I think Krixxn would have a better bet.

Krixxn The Destroyer

Kobold - 290 points

Skills:
Skilled Dodger - 60pts
Adequate Fighter - 9pts
Adequate Biter - 12pts
Adequate Striker - 12pts
Competent Archer - 18pts
Skilled Bow-bold - 50pts
Competent Spear-bold - 30pts

Weapons:
Silver Bow - 26pts
Silver Spear - 20

Armor:
Silver Helm - 12
Silver Mail Shirt - 24
Silver Leggings - 14

iyaerP
2011-08-18, 06:46 PM
I vote uber adventurer, as almost all of our speccs are designed for fighting humanoids rather than megabeasts.

TFT
2011-08-18, 06:51 PM
Ack, 3:30 A.M.? It's really late here. :smallsigh:

However, I do want to submit this:

Name: Solus
Race: Elf, Total = 240
Skills: Adept Archer, Skilled Armor User, Total Remaining = 124
Weapon: Bronze Bow, Total Remaining = 72
Armor: Iron Breast Plate, Iron Leggings, Leather Low Boots, Total Remaining= 0

Reposting this from page 4 so Sarco sees it and actually includes me this time. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2011-08-18, 06:58 PM
I vote uber adventurer, as almost all of our speccs are designed for fighting humanoids rather than megabeasts.

I agree to this.

Pokonic
2011-08-18, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by iyaerP

As do I, mostly because none of use could take on a dragon,wound a collosi, decapitate on a hydra, or even murder a Roc.

But how will the arena be set up? Its not realy fair if you know where everyones gladiator is.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-08-19, 02:36 AM
I'll throw in my vote for fighting an adventurer too. Will all of us be fighting at once, or will there be several rounds?

banthesun
2011-08-19, 08:30 AM
Finally gonna post my new character, after a bit more unscientific testing:

Choppa the Minotaur (140)

Competent Fighter (18)
Competent Swordsman (36)
Competent Dodger (36)
Bronze Two-Handed Sword (48)

Total: 138

Edit: And I vote for uber-adventurer too, sounds like fun.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-19, 08:34 AM
I'll throw in my vote for fighting an adventurer too. Will all of us be fighting at once, or will there be several rounds?

It'll be everyone at once.

As to the placement of the Gladiators, I'll be having someone place them for me so they have a fair shot at not getting stabmurdered first.

Banthesun, do you want this guy to replace your old gladiator, or do you want me to just tack him on to the roster? Frankly, we're not likely to get filled up any time soon. :P

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-19, 05:33 PM
Hmm, looking in the arena, it looks like I can't have a spear in my inventory while I have a bow... So Krixxn needs some adjustments. Now he's more monk-like as the original Krixxn... That probably hurts his chances even more. :smalltongue:

Krixxn The Destroyer

Kobold - 290 points

Skills:
Skilled Dodger - 60pts
Adequate Fighter - 9pts
Adequate Biter - 12pts
Adequate Striker - 12pts
Competent Archer - 18pts
Skilled Bow-bold - 50pts
Competant Wrestlebold - -24

Weapons:
Silver Bow - 26pts

Armor:
Silver Helm - 12
Silver Mail Shirt - 24
Silver Leggings - 14
Silver Gauntlets - 8
Silver High Boots - 10

Remainder 11.

Is kicking a new skill since the writeup of the rules?

iyaerP
2011-08-20, 01:51 AM
Hmm, looking in the arena, it looks like I can't have a spear in my inventory while I have a bow... So Krixxn needs some adjustments. Now he's more monk-like as the original Krixxn... That probably hurts his chances even more. :smalltongue:

Krixxn The Destroyer

Kobold - 290 points

Skills:
Skilled Dodger - 60pts
Adequate Fighter - 9pts
Adequate Biter - 12pts
Adequate Striker - 12pts
Competent Archer - 18pts
Skilled Bow-bold - 50pts
Competant Wrestlebold - -24

Weapons:
Silver Bow - 26pts

Armor:
Silver Helm - 12
Silver Mail Shirt - 24
Silver Leggings - 14
Silver Gauntlets - 8
Silver High Boots - 10

Remainder 11.

Is kicking a new skill since the writeup of the rules?

Yes. Kicking is actually one of the better unarmed skills, right up there with biting. Throwing is still god-king though.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-20, 06:00 AM
I've been fiddling around with Maze configurations, seeing if I can get one that won't bone someone unfairly despite random placements. We should be running the Gladiators vs. Predator exhibition soon.

Dragero
2011-08-20, 12:47 PM
I've been fiddling around with Maze configurations, seeing if I can get one that won't bone someone unfairly despite random placements. We should be running the Gladiators vs. Predator exhibition soon.

Please tell me the "Predator" is just a highly trained/armed man, and not the Arnold Schwarzenegger running around in a jungle kind!

bothi73
2011-08-20, 01:02 PM
DUDE. This is off the chain, can I get in?

Bothi-
Race=Werewolf(Size=120)-190 points
Gear= Steel Spear (-80), Oak Shield (-45), Oak Brestplate (-15), Silver High Boots (-10)
Skills= Spear {Competent} (-30), Biting {Novince} (-4), Fighting {Novince} (-3), Armor {Novince} (-2)

That should be it, lets do this ;)

1 point left over

EDIT: Typo, sorry.

Pefkalos
2011-08-20, 04:06 PM
If there's space left might as well try (new to this..):

Relliana
Soldier Ant Woman (none around yet) = 250points

Skilled Archer - 50
Competant Dodger - 30
Adequate Biter - 12
Competant Armour - 12
Competant Archer - 18

Two copper bows - 65
Two sets of silver gaunlets - 16
Silver Helm - 12
Silver Breastplate - 20
Silver high Boots - 10
Leather Cap - 5

No points spare

bothi73
2011-08-20, 05:17 PM

What this is is that we build our charecters, and he punches all the gear/abilities that we chose into this free program called Dwarf Fortress (Google) then he makes the maps, enemies, etc. When hes ready it plays like a video, with everyone controlled by a computer. He takes screen shots of the fight and adds his own commentary.

Hope this helped,

-Bothi

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-21, 01:18 AM
Yes. Kicking is actually one of the better unarmed skills, right up there with biting. Throwing is still god-king though.

So I don't suppose I could put points into kick at all, could I Sarco_Phage? Seems much more sensible than wrestling for a kobold monk (and the original Krixxn did not grapple). :smallbiggrin:

iyaerP
2011-08-21, 02:55 AM
So I don't suppose I could put points into kick at all, could I Sarco_Phage? Seems much more sensible than wrestling for a kobold monk (and the original Krixxn did not grapple). :smallbiggrin:

Bear in mind, those skills that are listed are primarily of awesome use in the hands of adventurers, where you can perform aimed shots for devestating effect. The combat AI tends to be less than impressive in its fighting skills.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-21, 03:34 AM

It wouldn't do you much good, sadly. Kicking is a secondary priority attack, meaning you won't actually be auto-using too often.

bothi73
2011-08-21, 08:40 AM
Question: What skill does 'Gore with Tusks' fall under?

Pokonic
2011-08-21, 10:12 AM
Question: What skill does 'Gore with Tusks' fall under?

Wrestling, I belive.

Scaliburn
2011-08-21, 01:01 PM
I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it looks fun, so I'm in. Here I go:
Name: Silverfox
Human 240
Equipment
Bronze Longsword-48
Copper Buckler-37.5
Copper Mail Shirt-30
Leather Cap-5
Leather Gauntlets-4
Leather Low Boots-4

Skills
Competent Dodger-30
Competent Sword-36
Competent Shield-24
Skilled Armor-20

Total Points: 238.5
Points Remaining:1.5

bothi73
2011-08-21, 06:47 PM
Cmooooonnnnn Bothi wants to be in mmaattttch. Whens the next one?

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-21, 08:31 PM
It wouldn't do you much good, sadly. Kicking is a secondary priority attack, meaning you won't actually be auto-using too often.

Aww, that's a pity, No master of kobold kick-boxing then. :smalltongue:

...And I've been reading and checking in the arena (kind of) does armor lower one's ability to dodge?

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-22, 11:07 AM
Weird, I can't seem to update the thread title to note slots being filled.

Cmooooonnnnn Bothi wants to be in mmaattttch. Whens the next one?

We'll be doing the next exhibition as soon as I add all the new folks to the roster. That's taking a while though, because I haven't yet had enough free time to just crunch everything down. Soon for sure, though! Time it in hours. ;)

bothi73
2011-08-22, 04:48 PM

We'll be doing the next exhibition as soon as I add all the new folks to the roster. That's taking a while though, because I haven't yet had enough free time to just crunch everything down. Soon for sure, though! Time it in hours. ;)

Scoar.....

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-22, 04:52 PM

It's not letting you edit your original post? Weird... I have to go see if I can edit some of my posts from last summer now. :smalltongue:

Necroticplague
2011-08-22, 07:01 PM
...And I've been reading and checking in the arena (kind of) does armor lower one's ability to dodge?

Not directly. Having armor itself does not decrease your ability do dodge, but having heavy things with you does. Even wielding a heavy weapon can decrease your ability to dodge.

McDouggal
2011-08-22, 08:23 PM
Joining up with...

Steel Glass
Soldier Ant (250)
steel spear (80)
3 silver bucklers (90)
proficient shield (60)
adequate spear (15)
5 points remaining

Atelm
2011-08-23, 03:50 AM
Hmm, maybe it does pay to check up on old threads every once in a while. Good to know this is resuming, and hope you'll make a speedy full recovery. :smallsmile:

Demitel is still in, of course.

bothi73
2011-08-23, 05:19 PM

Oooh! Yay, ok I'm inviting Kaine to be with me!

kaine
2011-08-23, 06:16 PM
Oooh! Yay, ok I'm inviting Kaine to be with me!

^ Om with stupid xD

Ok, heres 'Venom'-

Race: Serpent Man (+250)
Weapon: Whip {Steel} (-48)
Armor: Helm {Leather} (-6)
Gauntlets {Oak} (-6)
Skills: Biting {Talented} (-84)
Dodging {Proficient} (-75)
Lash {Competent} (-30)

1 point left

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-23, 08:40 PM
Roster (on page 1) updated, people. We're 5 slots away from a full tag-team tournament.

So instead of running everyone through the Predator meat grinder at once, I'll be splitting them roughly into two for the old maze treatment.

Exhibition soon!

Level8Mudcrab
2011-08-24, 06:51 AM
Roster (on page 1) updated, people. We're 5 slots away from a full tag-team tournament.

So instead of running everyone through the Predator meat grinder at once, I'll be splitting them roughly into two for the old maze treatment.

Exhibition soon!

Hopefully my kobold gets put in the group with lots of big meatshields gladiators.

LdudeL
2011-08-24, 08:10 PM
Im new to the playground, I want to be-
Name:Gizmo
Race:Gremlin+360
Armor:Leather Cap-5
Skills:Master Wrestling-312
Skilled (Tiny) Dodge-40
Novince Fighting-3

Thay shouldd be all my points!

Lunix Vandal
2011-08-24, 09:51 PM
I'd like to enter as well:

Name: Gos'muspla
Race: Kobold (290 points)
{table=head]Item/Skill | Points | Used/Total
Steel Spear | 80 | 80/290
Proficient (5) Dodging (Tiny) | 75 | 155/290
Proficient (5) Spear User | 75 | 230/290
Proficient (5) Fighter | 45 | 275/290
Points Remaining | 15 | [/table]

Pefkalos
2011-08-25, 09:07 AM

Relliana
Soldier Ant Woman (none around yet) = 250points

Skilled Archer - 50
Competant Dodger - 30
Adequate Biter - 12
Competant Armour - 12
Competant Archer - 18

Two copper bows - 65
Two sets of silver gaunlets - 16
Silver Helm - 12
Silver Breastplate - 20
Silver high Boots - 10
Leather Cap - 5

No points spare

Sorry wrote that wrong,
Shoulda been Skilled Bow (50), not archer :/
So Bow 4 and archer 3

druid91
2011-08-25, 10:38 AM
Is there room for more?

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-25, 11:05 AM
Yeah, there's room for three more. Damn my inability to properly retitle the OP.

druid91
2011-08-25, 12:18 PM
Are only the races listed there available?

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-25, 12:46 PM
Yes, those are the same guidelines all the rest of us have used.

druid91
2011-08-25, 12:51 PM
Yes, those are the same guidelines all the rest of us have used.

I was just asking.:smallannoyed:

For all I know that was just an example. Because IIRC werewolf was not originally on there. Nor was Snakeman.

Dragero
2011-08-25, 12:53 PM

For all I know that was just an example. Because IIRC werewolf was not originally on there. Nor was Snakeman.

I'm pretty sure both of those where there originally, as one of the first characters made was a snakeman, and I don't remember anything being mentioned about new races.

druid91
2011-08-25, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure both of those where there originally, as one of the first characters made was a snakeman, and I don't remember anything being mentioned about new races.

Really? Hmm maybe it was just me not noticing, because I never remembered there even being a table. And it was pretty much just what people asked for.

Either that or I'm going crazy.:smallwink:

But either way it was a very patronizing and rude way to say it when a simple "yes, that's it" would suffice.

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-25, 02:52 PM
Wasn't trying to be harsh druid, I apologize. Just bluntly stating that the options presented are the options available. If anything were to be added, others may want to re-roll adding more work to the tourney administrator.

druid91
2011-08-25, 03:21 PM
Wasn't trying to be harsh druid, I apologize. Just bluntly stating that the options presented are the options available. If anything were to be added, others may want to re-roll adding more work to the tourney administrator.

It's okay, I overreacted a bit anyway. Peace?

McDouggal
2011-08-25, 05:25 PM
Just making sure, but Shield skill increasesblocking with a buckler, right? Also, can you sell back equipment?

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-25, 07:01 PM
Mc - I believe I read in the rules somewhere that yes you can sell back gear? Somewhere in that huge wall of text.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-25, 07:10 PM
Mc - I believe I read in the rules somewhere that yes you can sell back gear? Somewhere in that huge wall of text.

That is right, it's under equipment in Gladiator Generation:

You may sell back equipment before each round for half its original value. You may NOT sell skills back.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-25, 07:26 PM

Actually, those races have been on there since the inauguration of this version of the tourney on Something Awful. Granted they are a little hard to see because of the whole Excel table-screencap thing. I'll probably GitP-ize the format the second time around.

Nanoblack
2011-08-25, 08:14 PM
Nanoblack reporting in to double check that Darguun won't be left out of this hunt! :smallbiggrin:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-25, 09:05 PM
I decided to pit Krixxn The Destroyer against one of the other gladiators (specifically Yarbles). It was a very short fight in which Yarbles was quite mean. :smalltongue:

For those curious, here's a combat log. They started on the central island of the middle arena, centered horizontally, and one tile away from their respective edges.

The Flying {silver arrow} strikes Dwarf 1 in the lower left leg, tearing the muscle!
The {silver arrow} has lodged firmly in the wound!
Dwarf 1 charges at Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 attacks Kobold 1 but he jumps away!
Kobold 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 stabs Dwarf 1 in the left eyelid from behind with his silver arrows [33], tearing apart the skin!
Dwarf 1 rushes by Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 bats the flying {silver arrow} out of the air!
Dwarf 1 charges Kobold 1!
Kobold 1 looks surprised by the ferocity of Dwarf 1's onslaught!
Dwarf 1 misses Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 collides with Kobold 1!
Kobold 1 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Dwarf 1 bites Kobold 1 in the right hand, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Dwarf 1 latches on firmly!
Dwarf 1 shakes Kobold 1 around by the right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The right hand is ripped away and remains in Dwarf 1's grip!
Dwarf 1 scratches Kobold 1 in the left foot, tearing the muscle!
Dwarf 1 stabs Kobold 1 in the lower body with his steel spear, tearing the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney through the small silver chain leggings!
The steel spear has lodged firmly in the wound!
Dwarf 1 twists the embedded steel spear around in Kobold 1's lower body!
Dwarf 1 stabls Kobold 1 in the left hand with his steel spear, tearing apart the fat!
Dwarf 1 twists the embedded spear around in Kobold 1's left hand!
Dwarf 1 punches Kobold 1 in the lower right back tooth with his left hand, and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Kobold 1 has bled to death!

Dwarf 1
Independent
left lower leg
left eyelid

Necroticplague
2011-08-26, 04:14 AM
Wait, how do you stab someones kidney through their legs without shredding the muscles(and breaking bones, and tearing guts)?

El_Pablo
2011-08-26, 04:16 AM
Sarco is alive! Totally sorry about your everything dude, but I'm glad your back on the boards. My human is still in, and I don't need any changes. I vote for super adventurer hunter simply because a mega beast would mega pwn all of us.

Sarco_Phage
2011-08-26, 04:20 AM
Wait, how do you stab someones kidney through their legs without shredding the muscles(and breaking bones, and tearing guts)?

The leggings actually cover a lot more than you'd suspect. (Strictly speaking, he got stabbed in the ass)

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-26, 07:08 AM
I decided to pit Krixxn The Destroyer against one of the other gladiators (specifically Yarbles). It was a very short fight in which Yarbles was quite mean. :smalltongue:

For those curious, here's a combat log. They started on the central island of the middle arena, centered horizontally, and one tile away from their respective edges.

The Flying {silver arrow} strikes Dwarf 1 in the lower left leg, tearing the muscle!
The {silver arrow} has lodged firmly in the wound!
Dwarf 1 charges at Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 attacks Kobold 1 but he jumps away!
Kobold 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 stabs Dwarf 1 in the left eyelid from behind with his silver arrows [33], tearing apart the skin!
Dwarf 1 rushes by Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 bats the flying {silver arrow} out of the air!
Dwarf 1 charges Kobold 1!
Kobold 1 looks surprised by the ferocity of Dwarf 1's onslaught!
Dwarf 1 misses Kobold 1!
Dwarf 1 collides with Kobold 1!
Kobold 1 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Dwarf 1 bites Kobold 1 in the right hand, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Dwarf 1 latches on firmly!
Dwarf 1 shakes Kobold 1 around by the right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The right hand is ripped away and remains in Dwarf 1's grip!
Dwarf 1 scratches Kobold 1 in the left foot, tearing the muscle!
Dwarf 1 stabs Kobold 1 in the lower body with his steel spear, tearing the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney through the small silver chain leggings!
Dwarf 1 twists the embedded steel spear around in Kobold 1's lower body!
Dwarf 1 stabls Kobold 1 in the left hand with his steel spear, tearing apart the fat!
Dwarf 1 twists the embedded spear around in Kobold 1's left hand!
Dwarf 1 punches Kobold 1 in the lower right back tooth with his left hand, and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Kobold 1 has bled to death!

Dwarf 1
Independent
left lower leg
left eyelid

Wow. How do you stab someone in the eyelid from behind? Good trick, not good enough. /flex lol

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-26, 11:25 AM
Any ETA on the next update of FUN Sarco? :)

McDouggal
2011-08-26, 01:04 PM
Thank you, I was just trying to make sure. I just hope that I don't have too much glass and not enough steel in my antman.

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-26, 02:35 PM
Yeah, your antman kind of scares me. Lot of defense and nice that silver is the hardest hitting blunt object (excluding slade?). I see you doing more damage from shield bashes than the spear.

McDouggal
2011-08-26, 02:53 PM
Yeah, your antman kind of scares me. Lot of defense and nice that silver is the hardest hitting blunt object (excluding slade?). I see you doing more damage from shield bashes than the spear.

Honestly, I was trying to make a tank without armor. I don't know the system at all, so i took a best guess.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-26, 03:07 PM
Wow. How do you stab someone in the eyelid from behind? Good trick, not good enough. /flex lol

Ever play Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell? (Or really, seen a stealthy restraint anywhere) grapple from behind, with a knife to the throat. Krixxn took advantage of Yarbles running past him by doing that, minus the grapple.

El_Pablo
2011-08-27, 01:01 AM
*Ahem*
ONLY THREE SPOTS LEFT!!!

Maybe we can get a little bit more attention by screaming loud enough?

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-27, 09:31 AM
Ever play Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell? (Or really, seen a stealthy restraint anywhere) grapple from behind, with a knife to the throat. Krixxn took advantage of Yarbles running past him by doing that, minus the grapple.

True True. been a long time since I've played Tenchu. never got into MGS or Splinter.

bothi73
2011-08-27, 11:03 AM
Graaarrgh! Im dieing with anticpation. Antisiption? Pashion?

kknox
2011-08-27, 11:47 AM
I, have no idea what is going on. But this looks cool. What is the Predator whatever?

heres min-
Kendra
Minotaur 140
Adept (7) Wrestling 112
Adequet (2) Huge Dodging 18
Adequet (2) Fighting 9

-One Point left.

:smallbiggrin: Hope this ends well

McDouggal
2011-08-27, 01:42 PM
Woohoo! 2 left!

Dragero
2011-08-27, 01:56 PM
*Ahem*
ONLY THREE SPOTS LEFT!!!

Maybe we can get a little bit more attention by screaming loud enough?

I'm currently counting 27 contestants...... (Kpenguin is listed twice for some reason)

Lunix Vandal
2011-08-27, 02:33 PM
I, have no idea what is going on. But this looks cool. What is the Predator whatever?"Predator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_%28film%29)" versus matches pit several weak combatants against a lone enemy. This lone enemy typically has a huge advantage in terms of equipment, skill, and/or starting position (often including stealth and a mazelike or cover-dense environment), and will win handily if he can pick off his victims one by one. Hence the name.

bothi73
2011-08-27, 04:45 PM
"Predator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_%28film%29)" versus matches pit several weak combatants against a lone enemy. This lone enemy typically has a huge advantage in terms of equipment, skill, and/or starting position (often including stealth and a mazelike or cover-dense environment), and will win handily if he can pick off his victims one by one. Hence the name.

So, were screwed untill theres one or two of us left, who then finish it off, making them look awesome.

Great.

LdudeL
2011-08-27, 04:51 PM
Im new to the playground, I want to be-
Name:Gizmo
Race:Gremlin+360
Armor:Leather Cap-5
Skills:Master Wrestling-312
Skilled (Tiny) Dodge-40
Novince Fighting-3

Thay shouldd be all my points!

I dont believe gizmo is in the brackets yet?

bothi73
2011-08-27, 05:42 PM
I have yet another question: Are snakemen immune to another snake mans venom?

It'd be nice to know that my partner wont be taken down as easily as I will by the all-mighty Typhon.

Batyzero
2011-08-27, 06:33 PM
Ooh, I was so excited for this/Sad when it inexplicably died.
/Is Euphoric about Sarco being okay and this tourney continuing/

Just checking in so that you know MintChocolate is still invited to the party. :smallsmile:

Lunix Vandal
2011-08-27, 06:33 PM
I dont believe gizmo is in the brackets yet?None of the gladiators entered since Page 7 are in Sarco_Phage's list on Page 1 yet, from what I can see.
Repost for visibility:
I'd like to enter as well:

Name: Gos'muspla
Race: Kobold (290 points)
{table=head]Item/Skill | Points | Used/Total
Steel Spear | 80 | 80/290
Proficient (5) Dodging (Tiny) | 75 | 155/290
Proficient (5) Spear User | 75 | 230/290
Proficient (5) Fighter | 45 | 275/290
Points Remaining | 15 | [/table]

Necroticplague
2011-08-27, 06:41 PM
I have yet another question: Are snakemen immune to another snake mans venom?

It'd be nice to know that my partner wont be taken down as easily as I will by the all-mighty Typhon.

Yes, but no. They aren't immune to the poison itself, but they are immune to paralysis (and their poison is paralyzing). They can also breath underwater.

Pokonic
2011-08-27, 07:28 PM
Yes, but no. They aren't immune to the poison itself, but they are immune to paralysis (and their poison is paralyzing). They can also breath underwater.

Huh, snakemen can breath underwater? Can reptilemen breath underwater too? If not, I suppose I have a now cast to add to may personal mod, then. Crocadile men, here we come!

El_Pablo
2011-08-27, 07:52 PM
I'm currently counting 27 contestants...... (Kpenguin is listed twice for some reason)

None of the gladiators entered since Page 7 are in Sarco_Phage's list on Page 1 yet, from what I can see.

Yes, I calculated my numbers based on the spreadsheet, and the two contestants who had not yet been added to the spreadsheet, and kknox makes 30. So, only two spots technically remain.

factotum
2011-08-28, 02:13 AM
None of the gladiators entered since Page 7 are in Sarco_Phage's list on Page 1 yet, from what I can see.

Because Sarco_Phage apparently can't edit his OP anymore, possibly due to the long delay between postings.

Necroticplague
2011-08-28, 03:54 AM
Huh, snakemen can breath underwater? Can reptilemen breath underwater too? If not, I suppose I have a now cast to add to may personal mod, then. Crocadile men, here we come!

Yes, they can, since both of them have [Amphibious] in their raws, they can breath air and water.

kknox
2011-08-28, 06:58 PM
Perhaps to get this going we could start with 30? 15 even teams, just taking away one team. Or have some generic warriors made by our dm?

Clarkson
2011-08-28, 07:54 PM
Toto

Gremlin (+360)
Adamantite Whip (-144)
Expert Dodger (-144)
Skilled Lasher (-50)
22 points left

McDouggal
2011-08-28, 07:55 PM
Woohoo! 1 To Go!

EDIT: also, first post page!

McDouggal
2011-08-28, 09:28 PM
Here's a kind of dumb idea: create a high point character, give it no equipment and no skills, then wait 2-3 rounds, doubling points each time. Would this be allowed?

Lunix Vandal
2011-08-28, 11:31 PM
I can't imagine why not, but since it's an elimination tournament, it'll only work if your no-skill, no-equip character makes it through one or more rounds against increasingly well-armed, highly-skilled opponents. Being tag elimination, you could gamble on your partner being strong/lucky enough to carry your team for a round ...

Sudden scary thought: as a crazy-lucky gremlin, you could in theory start Round 2 with 1080 points to burn, or Round 3 with 2520. The latter case is enough for Grand Master in Fighter, Dodge, Armor User, and your choice of weapon skill (and corresponding Adamantite weapon), with enough left over for the better half of a full suit of Adamantite armor. :smalleek:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-28, 11:34 PM
I can't imagine why not, but since it's an elimination tournament, it'll only work if your no-skill, no-equip character makes it through one or more rounds against increasingly well-armed, highly-skilled opponents. Being tag elimination, you could gamble on your partner being strong/lucky enough to carry your team for a round ...

Sudden scary thought: as a crazy-lucky gremlin, you could in theory start Round 2 with 1080 points to burn, or Round 3 with 2520. The latter case is enough for Grand Master in Fighter, Dodge, Armor User, and your choice of weapon skill (and corresponding Adamantite weapon), with enough left over for the better half of a full suit of Adamantite armor. :smalleek:

But you're more likely to be surviving if you're something big like a minotaur or something... Where you will not get nearly as many points.

Lunix Vandal
2011-08-28, 11:42 PM
Well, McDougal did say "high point." :smallwink:

And ... yeah, Minotaur could work better, but then you're looking at 420 points in Round 2 or 980 in Round 3, which is far less intimidating-sounding. Poor ol' Yeti would only have 300 / 700.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-28, 11:55 PM
I don't know about you, but a Minotaur with 300 or 700 points worth of stuff is quite scary sounding to me. :smalltongue:

Robz_defheadz
2011-08-29, 07:30 AM
Hey guys been lurking for a while and wondering if there are any spaces still available?

MonarchAnarch
2011-08-29, 09:09 AM
Yeah, there should be 2, possibly even 1 left. Make a char so we can get this bad boy movin! :P

Clarkson
2011-08-29, 09:41 AM
Toto brought it down to 1.

Clarkson
2011-08-29, 10:13 AM
Ok as a Gremlin with 22 points left. After the first round do I just double the remaining points for a total of 44 or do I double it and then add 360 points for a total of 404. (Gremlin)