PDA

View Full Version : ToB Prestige Question

Talbot
2011-04-10, 04:09 PM
Let's say I starts as Warblade (does not get access to Devoted Spirit), progress to Jade Phoenix Mage (does get access to Devoted Spirit), then return to Warblade... may I select Devoted Spirit stances or maneuvers?

Essentially, are schools "unlocked", or can you only access them while you're actually in the class that grants them?

Amphetryon
2011-04-10, 04:28 PM
Let's say I starts as Warblade (does not get access to Devoted Spirit), progress to Jade Phoenix Mage (does get access to Devoted Spirit), then return to Warblade... may I select Devoted Spirit stances or maneuvers?

Essentially, are schools "unlocked", or can you only access them while you're actually in the class that grants them?

Only while you're in the class that grants them, as far as I know.

HunterOfJello
2011-04-10, 07:37 PM
Warblades can only ever gain new maneuvers known from Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven.

Jade Phoenix Mages can only ever gain new maneuvers known from Desert
Wind and Devoted Spirit.

~

Going back and forth between the two continues to fully advance your initiator level, but does not change the schools of the new maneuvers you will have access to.

(All of this is, of course, ignoring the exception of maneuvers gained by feats.)

Keld Denar
2011-04-10, 07:41 PM
Schools are not "unlocked", as you suggested. You can only take the maneuvers with maneuvers granted by the PrCs. Once you return to Warblade, you can only take maneuvers that Warblade gives you access to.

navar100
2011-04-10, 09:02 PM
However, you are permitted to spend a feat on Martial Study for a Devoted Spirit maneuver, to ready and recover it as a Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage.

gbprime
2011-04-10, 10:36 PM
If your initiator level can otherwise support it, blowing a feat on a manuver from another discipline is sometimes worthwhile. Short range teleportation as a move or even swift action once per encounter comes to mind... Yes, I'm looking at you Shadow Stride and Shadow Blink... no other manuvers as prerequisites either.