PDA

View Full Version : Schemas? How do they Work?

Beelzebub1111
2011-04-10, 08:57 PM
It's a miracle!

But seriously. I don't get it, are they single use items? can you use them more than once? It says they go dormant for a few days after you fail to use them, but if you succeed can you use them as much as you want?

Greenish
2011-04-10, 09:12 PM
Minor Schemas work 1/day with no limit on how many times it can be used. If you succeed at using the schema, you can do it again tomorrow. If you don't, it'll take 1d6 days until that schema can be used again.

McSmack
2011-04-10, 10:03 PM
Every time I look at them I keep hoping they'll be awesome. Then I get all disappointed. They would be better IMO if they didn't have such a high level requirement.

IIRC, don't have the book with me right now.

Greenish
2011-04-10, 10:10 PM
Every time I look at them I keep hoping they'll be awesome. Then I get all disappointed. They would be better IMO if they didn't have such a high level requirement.Minor Schemata have no level requirement, though Etch Schema the feat requires CL 10.

tonberrian
2011-04-10, 10:25 PM
Schemas are awesome. 'Specially for an artificer with Metamagic Spell Completion. A couple of Minor Schemas of Metamagic Item are also nice if you have Persist Spell and UMD to use them.

McSmack
2011-04-11, 01:13 PM
Minor Schemata have no level requirement, though Etch Schema the feat requires CL 10.

Yeah, I was looking at them from a crafting standpoint. There are some very specific spells you can put in them that are nice. But on the whole I don't find them to be that versatile. The earlier Eberron books painted them to be these mysterious awesome things, and then when Magic of Eberron came out I was like "meh".

Requiring CL 10th for the feat felt a little steep to me, but the biggest thing that turned me off was the 1/day bit.

Beelzebub1111
2011-04-11, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I was looking at them from a crafting standpoint. There are some very specific spells you can put in them that are nice. But on the whole I don't find them to be that versatile. The earlier Eberron books painted them to be these mysterious awesome things, and then when Magic of Eberron came out I was like "meh".

Requiring CL 10th for the feat felt a little steep to me, but the biggest thing that turned me off was the 1/day bit.
The mysterious ones are MAJOR Schemas. Minor shchemas are what we're talking about here.

Randel
2011-04-11, 03:03 PM
I always thought minor schemas were pretty cool since they are basically scrolls that you can use over and over again like eternal wands. I mean a scroll of cure light wounds can be used once and then all the xp and gp used to create it are gone forever, a minor scchema could be used over and over... like a family heirloom or something. Buy a minor schema of a luseful low level spell and you can cast it over and over again (and in-game you could give it to friends/family/local charity and have them use it every day as long as someone has the skill to do so).

But yeah, the problem of etch minor schema having such a high level requirement does logically limit their availability.