PDA

View Full Version : Are alchemical items magical

Laniius
2011-04-10, 09:51 PM
Basically what the heading says. To craft alchemical items one needs to be a spellcaster, but once the item is crafted is it considered magical?

Veyr
2011-04-10, 09:55 PM
I'd say no, considering how they are described and the fact that they are in the Equipment and Services section, not the Magic Items section.

holywhippet
2011-04-10, 09:56 PM
You are getting things confused I think. Alchemy in D&D is things like alchemists fire, acid flasks etc. You need to be a spellcaster to make potions as you need to place spells in those potions.

Alchemical items are not magical. Potions are.

To make alchemical items you just need ranks in craft: alchemy. You don't need to be any specific class to do so.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 09:56 PM
Like holywhippet said, nope. In DnD, Alchemy is basically chemistry.

Thurbane
2011-04-10, 09:57 PM
You are getting things confused I think. Alchemy in D&D is things like alchemists fire, acid flasks etc. You need to be a spellcaster to make potions as you need to place spells in those potions.

Alchemical items are not magical. Potions are.
3.5 has the (IMHO silly) rule that you must have spellcaster levels to craft alchemical items.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the end result does not radiate magic, and is non-magical (or pseudo-magical, if you prefer).

Veyr
2011-04-10, 09:58 PM
Actually, he's right (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm):
{table=head]Item | Craft Skill | DC
Acid | Alchemy1 | 15
Alchemist’s fire, smokestick, or tindertwig | Alchemy1 | 20
Antitoxin, sunrod, tanglefoot bag, or thunderstone | Alchemy1 | 25
{colsp=3} ...
{colsp=3}1. You must be a spellcaster to craft any of these items.[/table]

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 09:59 PM
3.5 has the (IMHO silly) rule that you must have spellcaster levels to craft alchemical items.

What the ass? I don't remember that.

Oh well.

Thurbane
2011-04-10, 10:01 PM
IIRC, it was a change implemented from 3.0 to 3.5.

tyckspoon
2011-04-10, 10:06 PM
What the ass? I don't remember that.

Oh well.

That could be because it's flipping stupid.

And to the thread question: No. If they were, they'd be useful for more than making Touch Sneak Attacks.

holywhippet
2011-04-10, 10:08 PM
Ah, my mistake, from the SRD: [quote="srd"]To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster. [/srd]

Thurbane
2011-04-10, 10:15 PM
My advice is to either totally ignore this requirement, or house rule it as a skilltrick - spend 2 skill points, and you count as a spellcaster for the purposes of crafting alchemical items.