PDA

View Full Version : Fluff Question: Devils

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 11:53 PM
Don't have my Fiend Folio on hand, so I figured I'd ask here.

What ranks above the Pit Fiend besides the lesser Dukes? Say, the Paeliryon. Is that a higher ranked Devil, or is it simply a powerful one of lower rank?

Mutazoia
2011-04-10, 11:57 PM
Try this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Types_of_devils) I think it will help.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-10, 11:58 PM
It didn't give me any info other than that Paeliryons are slightly more powerful than Pit Fiends, and I don't have my Folio on hand so I can't determine if that translates directly to higher ranked. :smallsigh:

arguskos
2011-04-11, 12:15 AM
It didn't give me any info other than that Paeliryons are slightly more powerful than Pit Fiends, and I don't have my Folio on hand so I can't determine if that translates directly to higher ranked. :smallsigh:
FC2 doesn't list anything as above the Greater Devils beyond the Dukes and the Archdevils.

Pit Fiends and Paeliryons are both Greater Devils, so there you go. There's no listed "X>Y" anywhere that I no of, though. So, presumably, it depends on stuff.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 12:17 AM
Pit Fiends and Paeliryons are both Greater Devils, so there you go. There's no listed "X>Y" anywhere that I no of, though. So, presumably, it depends on stuff.

Ahaha, yeah I supppose most things would depend on stuff.

Anyway, the reason I was wondering is that, since most devils can be "promoted" into more powerful forms, I was wondering if Pit Fiend or Paeliryon were both legitimate choices for promotion on that rank, since Hell is supposed to have very strict hierarchies.

Mutazoia
2011-04-11, 12:20 AM
Hm...well according to the MM2...they really don't give rank...and my FF has magically walked off. Though according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiend_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29) link only the arch devils are greater than the pit fiends.

arguskos
2011-04-11, 12:24 AM
Ahaha, yeah I supppose most things would depend on stuff.

Anyway, the reason I was wondering is that, since most devils can be "promoted" into more powerful forms, I was wondering if Pit Fiend or Paeliryon were both legitimate choices for promotion on that rank, since Hell is supposed to have very strict hierarchies.
Probably not. There's certainly a "this one is 'higher'" ranking, but it's never given. Personally, I'd put the Pit Fiend over the Paeliryon, for two reasons. Also, note that not all devils are in the hierarchy of hell. Only the baatezu are ranked as such. Promotion doesn't work on non-baatezu.

First, because they're higher CR (Paeliryons were updated in FC2 to be CR 17).

Second, because of the precedent of the Dark Eight, the generals under Bel, Lord of the First, who keep the machines of war against the tanar'ri running.

Alleran
2011-04-11, 12:26 AM
Where Pit Fiends are the generals of the Hells (particularly the Dark Eight and similar devils), the Paeliryons are the Spymasters. I wouldn't say one outranks the other in particular - it would depend on the individual devil, since they (by and large) focus on different areas.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-11, 01:26 AM
I have never been able to understand the thought process behind Devil promotion types, but in this case I believe Pit Fiends concentrate on the Blood War and Paeliyrons concentrate on soul capturing and material plane cults.