PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Deity

ungaru
2011-04-11, 04:21 AM
Against what you may believe I'm not looking to "stat" a deity.
I'm looking for the things that would be necessary to create a deity for my Character to follow.

We will be playing a Gestalt campaign and I'm going to be playing a bard/cleric. who will be contacted by a deity to start a following and church. I have to create this deity. This is to be the God of Empathy and relationships. He will obviously be Chaotic Good due to the mercurial nature of emotions.

and I know what I want the portfolio and domains to be. [Portfolio: Care, Respect, Freedom (domains: Community, {Charm,} Good, Liberation, {Nobility} not sure about charm and nobility yet)]

I'm just not sure what else I may need. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks much!

Yora
2011-04-11, 04:33 AM
All you really need is an alignment and at least two, better three domains.
Everything else is entirely fluff.

Serpentine
2011-04-11, 04:49 AM
I recommend grabbing one of the deity entries from, say, Deities and Demigods, deleting their bits and adding your own to see how it turns out.
Are you looking for a bunch of values to put on your character sheet, or are you looking for a full-blown religion for your character to roleplay with?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 04:57 AM
Given the OP, it appears he wants to start his own religion according to the deity's principles, so the deity's principles would be a good place to start.

ungaru
2011-04-11, 04:58 AM
A full blown religion for him to follow and spread throughout the land.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-11, 05:07 AM
Chi-oo, The Twin Faced Coin
Intermediate Deity
Portfolio: Care, Respect, Freedom
Domains: Charm, Liberation, Good, Nobility
Worshipers: Benevolent Leaders, Doctors, Knights, Monks (religious)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Favored Weapon: Helping Hand (Unarmed Strike)

Chi-oo appears as a statue of solid gold taking the shape of a stately dressed woman on the front and a man of clearly noble birth at back. It is said when Chi-oo speaks, all are calm before it. It is said that Chi-oo remains motionless to better understand it's followers, and will not move until it understands each pain a mortal life can endure.

Clerics: Clerics of Chi-oo wear golden robes and tend to hospitals and rest stations along long country roads. Clerics of Chi-oo pray for spells at the first light of dawn if they are able to witness it, praying for spells when ever they can otherwise.

Dogma: Cause no harm to others and live life as best as one can aiding those around yourself. Life is not a solitary walk, but one filled with life and love, and understanding others will help you understand yourself. Trust others but be not naive, help others but be not brow beaten.