PDA

View Full Version : Classes that are *Fun* to play. [3.P]

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 05:00 AM
So my play group may be starting up a new game, but I have a bit of a problem. I can't think of anything to play. Simple as that, really. Nothing I can think of strikes me as fun or something I haven't played. I'm not really an 'optimizer' in my group because they don't optimize and I don't like to be at an extremely stronger character than they have.

I've played everything from rogues to unseen seers and arcane tricksters to just straight wizards, clerics, druids, and fighters. Does anyone have suggestions? What have you guys had fun with that I might?

For this, assume all books from 3.5 and pathfinder are legal.

Oh, except tome of battle.

LordBlades
2011-04-11, 05:03 AM
Binder, incarnate or totemist? They're really fun if you're bored of casters.

Jarian
2011-04-11, 05:03 AM
How do you feel about Incarnum?

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 05:28 AM
To be honest, I've never used anything out of Magic of Incarnum. I was actually just looking through that book not an hour ago and looked at some of the classes, realized I'd have to learn a lot of new stuff, then closed it to look at later. Not saying I wouldn't be up for it, because I definitely would.

They're pretty fun though? If they're worth learning what all this essentia and chakra stuff is then I'd definitely look more into it.

SiuiS
2011-04-11, 05:51 AM
It's weird on paper but intuitive in practice. Incarnum is also really fun. Just... Don't play a soulborn. The class is so poorly built it physically hurts me.

The gist is, you make temporay magic items (soulmelds) that can't take up the same slot as each other. Essentia is a set of points you can move around that are like CL boosts- put X essentia in a soulmeld and it gets better by X (sometimes even 2X or 4X). Chakras are magic item slots that, if you make a soulmeld bind to (which only means you can't have other magic items there either) it has a better, cooler effect. Chakras are unlocked with level.

As an incarnate, you will end up like a chameleon. I have a list of different 'builds' for my incarnate like Tank, Skirmisher, Healbot, Alpha Striker, etc. And what three soulmelds do that build. Easy peezy to take care of, and really fun too. There may be more info in my signature, it's been a while wince I posted her. scratch, nothing there that would be useful to you.

InVinoVeritas
2011-04-11, 06:13 AM
Perhaps it's time to just get back to basics and try a simple, straightforward character like a fighter or barbarian. Something specifically without magic.

Jarian
2011-04-11, 06:14 AM
Perhaps it's time to just get back to basics and try a simple, straightforward character like a fighter or barbarian. Something specifically without magic.

He said "fun" not "I power attack for full" every round. :smalltongue:

Vangor
2011-04-11, 06:18 AM
Artificer, but be ready for the bookwork.

InVinoVeritas
2011-04-11, 06:35 AM
He said "fun" not "I power attack for full" every round. :smalltongue:

If you can't have fun while power attacking, you can't have fun. :smalltongue:

Aharon
2011-04-11, 06:47 AM
seconding Artificer.

SillySymphonies
2011-04-11, 06:52 AM
I infer it from the title that you want suggestions for a mechanically interesting character?

Since it sounds like you are among your group the most optimization experienced player: why not play something that is mechanically less powerful but has unique capabilities: mysthic theurge for example, or a monster PC.

An extraplanar half-celestial can easily be refluffed into an angel: "Half-celestials are normally native outsiders." [emphasis mine] [source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm)]

Some other interesting low ECL monsters: azer (starts at ECL 7: 2 RHD + 4 LA + 1 class level); centaur (ECL 7); dretch (ECL 5); wyrmling dragon (ECL varies); human ghost (ECL 6); krenshar (ECL 5); kuo-toa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_One) (ECL 6); lycanthrope (ECL varies); pseudodragon (ECL 6); sahuagin (ECL 5); skum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_One#Deep_One_hybrid) (ECL 6); grig (ECL 4); nixie (ECL 4); pixie (ECL 5).

Tr011
2011-04-11, 07:07 AM
I infer it from the title that you want suggestions for a mechanically interesting character?

Since it sounds like you are among your group the most optimization experienced player: why not play something that is mechanically less powerful but has unique capabilities: mysthic theurge for example, or a monster PC.

I agree with that one. Playing an unusual race may be interesting, or simply look into a book you don't know much about (for example Tome of Magic with his Truenamer sounds interesting, even if he is weak I am sure you can get him as powerful as a 'regular' wizard by semioptimizing him).

TurtleKing
2011-04-11, 07:50 AM
Try a fifth wheel type character. Most of the classes you played seem more like a primary role than a supporter. How about try a Bard, Marshall, Binder, Truenamer (can be a supporter), or some other supporter class.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-04-11, 07:52 AM
How about Factotum?

Be whatever you feel like being on that particular day.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-04-11, 08:02 AM
bards assuredly

as much hate as it gets, the battle dancer is a fun "power attack charge at everything like a madman" kinda class.

Greenish
2011-04-11, 08:05 AM
(for example Tome of Magic with his Truenamer sounds interesting, even if he is weak I am sure you can get him as powerful as a 'regular' wizard by semioptimizing him).I find that hard to believe. Well, except maybe at level 20.

Personally, I like Beguiler and Dread Necromancer due to their casting mechanic (spontaneous and knows all spells on their list). Spirit Shaman is amusing too, allowing you to swap spells known every morning, and selecting from a really cool spell list (druid's).

[Edit]: Oh yeah, and as above, bards rock.

Amphetryon
2011-04-11, 08:14 AM
If you want variety and versatility, it's really, really hard to go wrong with Binders. The old Binder Handbook has been reformatted here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11235.0). You can choose a playstyle you like and stick with it, or trade it out for something new every day of the adventure.

Kylarra
2011-04-11, 08:21 AM
I'm fond of Dragonfire adept and certain builds of warlock.

Psyborg
2011-04-11, 08:34 AM
Bard.
Bard.
Bard.
Oh, and Sagittarius, by Kellus. Probably the single most polished piece of homebrew I've ever seen. See homebrew forums.
Did I mention Bard?

Totally Guy
2011-04-11, 08:40 AM
Prestige Bard.
Who casts like a wizard.
And therefore has loads of skill points.
And can heal.
And wears armour.

Vangor
2011-04-11, 09:02 AM
Bards are especially nice with knack. If you can, have your DM approve making bonuses (maybe not Int) which apply to bardic knowledge instead boost knack at the same rate of 1/2 (as per HD). Gives them, alongside the jack of all trades feat, a broad selection of how to interact and approach things. Throw in the spell improvisation to have a character who has capable access to every skill in the game.

I used this to chat with all types of folks and learn about everything in the world. At the beginning of the campaign, I spoke with a zeppelin pilot, a chef, a navigator, brewers, a mechanic, and more. Who says I don't have profession (zeppelin pilot)? Showing interest and knowledge in some undertaking gets positive responses and is enjoyable to do.

Telonius
2011-04-11, 09:53 AM
I've always found more charismatic characters to be much more fun to play. Bard, Beguiler, social-focused Rogue, Warlock, Sorcerer. Debuffers and status-dealers in general can be great, if only for the look of absolute dismay on the DM's face when you negate the monster's primary means of threatening the party.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-11, 10:01 AM
Warlock.

Forget about power level a minute, and don't compare yourself to Wizards.

Where a Wizard is going to have 45 spells pre-prepared, cast haste and fireball while teleporting from one location to another, counting its spells and making sure he always have a fallback..

You will be gliding over the poor village of peasant with an aura of dark doom, spreading fear and zapping whomever displease you.

Because the power is yours, and cannot be denied.

Remember what's the difference between a villain and a supervillain. While the Wizard takes the cake is power, nobody can up the Warlock in presentation :smallbiggrin:

Ranos
2011-04-11, 10:09 AM
Had a lot of fun playing a ghost, personally. Cleric goes well with it, as far as classes go. You just have to be careful not to get hit at all, because with very low HP and no negative HP track, you'll likely be gone in one hit. But then, you could use Necrotic Reserve to boost your survivability, either along with the Decay domain, or a ghost power. And in the worst case scenario, there's always Rejunevation, maybe helped along a bit with the Luck domain. Charm domain can also be pretty good to shortly boost your powers.

If you don't have the level to go full ghost yet, you can always use this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a).

flabort
2011-04-11, 10:12 AM
What are your feelings on homebrew from the playground?
I'm fond of propagating support for Draken's "Evolutionist", a class so versatile, it has no primary role. Usually it ends up in natural weapon spam based builds, though.

If you can't take homebrew, though, Warlock Warforged. Or Warblade War hulk warforged. Or both at once. Just take any class with "War" in the name. :smalltongue:
Very underpowered, but *fun*.

dspeyer
2011-04-11, 10:25 AM
Play a monster. Dragons are great fun, and quite different from humanoids with classes.

Ajadea
2011-04-11, 10:31 AM
Duskblade! Because True Strike Power Attack is awesome, and so is attacking and launching your opponents away from you. Maybe with a 3 level dip in cleric or 2 level dip in Ur-Priest somewhere before Duskblade 13, because being able to full attack with a whip to heal the abilities and HP of everyone in your group is really cool, even if it is mechanically unsound.

IIRC (not sure where my PHB 2 is), you don't get anything new except spells after Duskblade 13. Duskblade 13/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 4 looks like a fun little thing to do. BAB 17 at 20th, 4th level cleric spells, 5th level duskblade spells, and duskblades are the one class that works with Mystic Theurge because for them, having a load of low-level spells works.

Amphetryon
2011-04-11, 10:54 AM
Duskblade! Because True Strike Power Attack is awesome, and so is attacking and launching your opponents away from you. Maybe with a 3 level dip in cleric or 2 level dip in Ur-Priest somewhere before Duskblade 13, because being able to full attack with a whip to heal the abilities and HP of everyone in your group is really cool, even if it is mechanically unsound.

IIRC (not sure where my PHB 2 is), you don't get anything new except spells after Duskblade 13. Duskblade 13/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 4 looks like a fun little thing to do. BAB 17 at 20th, 4th level cleric spells, 5th level duskblade spells, and duskblades are the one class that works with Mystic Theurge because for them, having a load of low-level spells works.

If your DM agrees that Text Trumps Table, Duskblade 13/Rainbow Servant 7 is hilarious.

Thespianus
2011-04-11, 11:10 AM
If your DM agrees that Text Trumps Table, Duskblade 13/Sacred Exorcist 1/Rainbow Servant 7 is hilarious.

One could even say Epic! :smallwink:

And, yes, Bard. Seem's really hard to make a Bard boring to play.

Jarian
2011-04-11, 11:12 AM
Ghost into Master of the Unseen Hand. The potential is almost limitless.

Warforged Dragonfire Adept. Firebreathing robot, what more do you need?

Factotum 20 (alternately, Factotum 10/Chameleon 10) be anything.

Garagos
2011-04-11, 11:27 AM
Are you opposed to psionic classes? Psions and psychic warriors can both be a lot of fun and power point management is a whole different beast from spell management.

Sarakos
2011-04-11, 11:33 AM
If you have the Pathfinder APG you could try an Alchemist. If you want to be a REALLY special snowflake though, you can be "that guy" and play a Cavalier ;)

Also, I haven't heard anyone mention psionics yet so i thought i should :D

Edit: swordsage'd

Ajadea
2011-04-11, 12:09 PM
If your DM agrees that Text Trumps Table, Duskblade 13/Rainbow Servant 7 is hilarious.

How is it hilarious?

Particle_Man
2011-04-11, 12:19 PM
What sort of thing will you want to have fun doing? Kicking ass and taking names? Tricking people? MacGyvering?

I personally have had fun with Warlocks, Hexblades and a Pathfinder Sorcerer where I only took illusion spells (so a self-nerf, but a fun one).

I imagine that Beguillers could be fun.

You could even have fun with a Sorcerer 6/Malconvoker 5/Fiend-Blooded 10/Cosmic Descryer (infinite) with lots of fiendish heritage feats, if that is your taste.

That said, I have also had fun with Dumb-as-dirt Half-orc fighters, vow of poverty monks and all sorts of things that make char. optimizers point at me and shake their heads sadly, as an object lesson of what not to do. :)

Currently playing a Crusader which is fun for me.

Mordokai
2011-04-11, 12:24 PM
I just had this crazy idea of a warforged heavy metal bard with drums.

Then again... what would DnD equivalent of electric guitar be? :smallbiggrin:

Gaius Marius
2011-04-11, 12:27 PM
If you want to go into schemes and manipulation, switch the Alignment requirement for the bard, call it a "politician", do a few tweaks, and whisper your way to power. :smallbiggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-11, 01:14 PM
I have personally had a lot of fun from a Dread Necromancer. Lots of book keeping but really fun to play and they make other players shine with lots of debuffing. They have an absurd animate dead HD cap and if you take levels in Palemaster you have unlimited disposable minions.

One fun tactic is having corpse crafter destructive retribution and animating a TON of zombie ravens. Have a lot of them swarm a target and than have an ally fireball the area. They all die dealing (number of ravens)d6 which heals your allies. And raven zombies are 1/2 a HD so you can get ALOT of them.

Best experience I had was when we beat an encounter the first session I was playing it. The DM had only given me 2 zombie minatuars at level 10 to start off with and I wanted more undead. I animated the entire encounter for me :smallbiggrin:. The DM was completely shocked.

One problem is that your turn takes FOREVER if you get things with a lot of natural attacks or use all your pets at once. I have found that a good tactic to remove that is to either get the landlord feat (Stronghold builder's guide) and leave some of your undead in your keep to guard it, or to use the undead for different stuff than just full attack. Have them ready actions to attack the spell caster if they try to cast. Have them ready actions to jump in front of an opponent's blade if the opponent attacks you. Also make sure you have all the stats for the undead ready, its no fun waiting for you to make sure all your undead are ready.

Kalim
2011-04-11, 01:21 PM
How about Factotum?

Be whatever you feel like being on that particular encounter.

Fix't. Chameleon is day by day, Factotum is whenever he feels like it. :smalltongue:

Also +1.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-11, 02:37 PM
Fix't. Chameleon is day by day, Factotum is whenever he feels like it. :smalltongue:

Also +1.

I agree with both classes fun-wise.

Factotum is an excellent base class to go into Chameleon Prc later.

Changelings are fun:

'Who shall I look like be today?'

Tvtyrant
2011-04-11, 02:41 PM
Rainbow Warsnake gets so many spells to pick from on the fly they can solve just about anything.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-11, 02:59 PM
Rainbow Buigsnakes are often considered better.

Still, the 'I cast spells what make people fall down!' theme of Warmages and 'I venerate peace-loving rainbow snakes' of Rainbow Servant is always fun to RP.

Corlindale
2011-04-11, 02:59 PM
Going with the psionic trend, how about an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) Telepath, for something really unusual ?

Tvtyrant
2011-04-11, 03:05 PM
Rainbow Buigsnakes are often considered better.

Still, the 'I cast spells what make people fall down!' theme of Warmages and 'I venerate peace-loving rainbow snakes' of Rainbow Servant is always fun to RP.

Why not just call it the Shadowsnake servant?

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-11, 03:08 PM
Going with the psionic trend, how about an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) Telepath, for something really unusual ?

Ooh! I like unbodied!

Unfortunately, it removes the point of one of my favourite feats: Up the walls.

You can move Matrix-style while you have your psionic focus!:smallwink:

Hirax
2011-04-11, 03:15 PM
Not really a class thing, but I always enjoy playing luck based characters, that load up on luck feats and other feats that allow rerolls. I mostly enjoy it because many of the people I play with go overboard with the consequences of rolling 1s, so foiling them with rerolls always amuses me and makes them grumble. Goliaths are good for this, since they have many racial feats that allow for rerolls, then just dive into Complete Scoundrel and you're set. I always get the fortune's friend prc when I do a luck build. edit: just swap out its casting progression for full bab or another save if your DM will let you, since you won't be taking that class if you're playing a caster.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-11, 03:49 PM
Binders a fun class, as is spell thief and I saw an interesting warlock build that uses eldritch claws. The pathfinder bard variants are also fun.
If you're ok with home brew this thread has a bunch of vestiges and warlock fixes are always fun and if you're really ok with homebrew Xenotheurge, Swordmage and Ozodrin are all worth looking into for some very different mechanics and fun abilities.

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 04:42 PM
Whoa. o.o. Lots of feedback.

Bard: I've actually never played a bard before but I think I have a negative outlook on them because of that one movie. Forgot the title of it. Something Gamers. "I hide behind the pile of dead bards." Lol. I'm definitely going to consider this one, everyone here seems to love them so I'm sure I could have a blast. The idea about the warforged bard with drums reminded me of an old idea I had about a warforged bard with horns built into him.

Beguiler: I've actually wanted to play a Beguiler too so this is up there in consideration.

Psionics: I've played a Psion before and damn me if it wasn't the funnest damn thing I've ever played. I had a blast. Sadly though, my DM proceeded to ban Psionics from each one of his future games. x_x

Monsters: This also sounds fun. I'll have to run it by my DM though, as I'm not completely sure if he would allow it.

Homebrew: Also good to recommend but homebrew is strictly by DM discretion as well so I'll have to run classes by him.

I've played Dread Necromancers and those were pretty fun. I'm also trying to steer away from things with tons of paperwork so spontaneous casters and casters that know their spell lists (Beguilers) are really appealing to me right now

flabort
2011-04-11, 04:46 PM
spontaneous druid. That's a known spell list, and has all the druid cheese you know and love.

cfalcon
2011-04-11, 04:47 PM
Oh oh see if you can be that 3.0 weapon master guy. Nothing like hitting an x5 critical on like three die spaces. When it DOES work, you'll laugh like a madman!

Particle_Man
2011-04-11, 05:02 PM
I'm also trying to steer away from things with tons of paperwork

The Warlock has almost no paperwork. I think there is one 1x/day ability, and then everything else is whenever you want to use a standard action, so you don't need to keep track of anything.

And Warlocks are fun. :)

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 05:58 PM
The Warlock has almost no paperwork. I think there is one 1x/day ability, and then everything else is whenever you want to use a standard action, so you don't need to keep track of anything.

And Warlocks are fun. :)

Orly... I shall take a gander at Warlocks then. I am quite the fan of Richard from LFG.

Metahuman1
2011-04-11, 06:28 PM
Controller/Booster Sorcerer can be a lot of fun, or such has been my experience. Rest of the party likes you becuase you make them better at some of there things, and you make the bad guys worse at what they do, and you still have out of combat versatility form some of your spells. Plus, bending peoples minds too your will is cool. And Pathfinder gave the Sorcerer some great extras.

Duskblades, I'm building one, there neat. I kinda had an idea that if the Dm will let you get buy with little too know optimization, it might be neat to give it a good Cha, and then a lvl of Swashbuckler and a Raiper. That way your still channeling spells, but instead for focus on Str Int and Con, for focused on Dex Int and Con. With a small dip to Duelist to get Int to AC and channeling too up your damage, you've got a pretty hard hitting light weapons build.

Bards are always fun, naturally.

Shugenja can actually be a very enjoyable class with the right builds. If interested in this option I can elaborate.

Zaq
2011-04-11, 07:14 PM
I will add my voice to the chorus saying that Incarnates are a lot of fun. Totemists are also pretty sweet, though I haven't actually played one.

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 07:29 PM
I've given it some thought and I think I've narrowed it down to these:

Bard, Totemist (Or Incarnate), Beguiler.

Could anyone link to a good bard guide that lists those obscure feats that I can't quite remember but may want to mull over? (Snowflake wardance or something like that, for example).

JonestheSpy
2011-04-11, 07:36 PM
Somewhat off topic, but to me, the existence of this thread demonstrates a failure on the part of the DM. When preparing a campaign, a good DM should give the players enough engaging info on the world and the situation that the players get inspired about what kind of character would be fun in that particular game.

I know a lot of campaigns just start along the lines of "You're some adventures in Faerun who meet in a bar...", but I think a good game demands a bit more than that.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-11, 07:38 PM
It's worth noting that the Pathfinder bard has significantly more options than the 3.5 one. You should definitely look at it's different variants. Treantmonk has a handbook (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2), but it only covers pathfinder stuff and doesn't seem all that complete (though I just skimmed so I could be missing stuff); if you're using both 3.5 and pf I'd also hit-up a normal bard guide.

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 07:52 PM
It's worth noting that the Pathfinder bard has significantly more options than the 3.5 one. You should definitely look at it's different variants. Treantmonk has a handbook (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2), but it only covers pathfinder stuff and doesn't seem all that complete (though I just skimmed so I could be missing stuff); if you're using both 3.5 and pf I'd also hit-up a normal bard guide.

That is indeed a good guide but like you said it only encompasses pf. I'll definitely be intermixed pathfinder and 3.5 sources. Perhaps I should give my google-fu a try. :smallamused:

Vangor
2011-04-11, 08:42 PM
Bard: I've actually never played a bard before but I think I have a negative outlook on them because of that one movie. Forgot the title of it. Something Gamers. "I hide behind the pile of dead bards."

Unfortunately, Leo (the bard) is a foil in Dorkness Rising. Bards tend to get a poor reputation due to having few options in core to play on the jack-of-all-trades idea, plus a lack of music boosting. A few new spells, a few new feats, and a PrC or two and you have someone capable of standing against full melee and full spellcasters while being a roleplaying legend and able to perform any task.

kiergon
2011-04-11, 09:08 PM
The most fun Ive had as a player was playing as a Totemist myself.
A Hadozee Totemist.
So he is a flying squirrel ape. Thats fun.
A monkey with peoples clothes, thats even funnier. If you dont laugh at the image of a monkey with peoples clothes, then you are a little dead inside.
Than you can use girallons arms to grow extra arms
Then Dragon tail was it? It lets you grow a dragon like tail.
at medium levels I had a custom ring of enlargement that let me grow to Huge size about 30 rounds per day.
Then you get 3 heads, with breath weapons
so you are a huge 4 armed ape (in peoples clothes), with 3 heads, that breathes fire and has a huge lizard tail
Oh you are a beast grappling, you can grapple everything, and because of Hadozee you are very good at climbing and can glide.
Its a really, really fun character to play as, and double so becuase he was a pirate in a flying ship, and was the only character in the party (besides the sorcerer, she had feather fall from lvl 1) who wasnt afraid of heights at all. Ahh I forgot to mention, I kidnapped a princes and climbed a huge tower and was attacked by some guys riding figurines of wonder (I think it was the ebon fly one) and I decimated them with my breath weapon.
hehehe fun times.

testpatternmih
2011-04-11, 09:18 PM
I'd recommend the ToB classes, since it sounds like you've played alot of casters.

They don't have much paperwork and you can print out the maneuver cards which make it REALLY easy. All you need is some MTG type card sleeves.

linkie: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a

MrRigger
2011-04-11, 09:35 PM
I'm throwing another vote for the Totemist or Warlock. Both are a lot of fun, and pretty versatile in the long run.

MrRigger

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-11, 09:38 PM
A Hadozee Totemist.
A monkey with peoples clothes, thats even funnier. If you dont laugh at the image of a monkey with peoples clothes, then you are a little dead inside.
at medium levels I had a custom ring of enlargement that let me grow to Huge size about 30 rounds per day.
so you are a huge 4 armed ape (in peoples clothes), with 3 heads, that breathes fire and has a huge lizard tail
Oh you are a beast grappling, you can grapple everything, and because of Hadozee you are very good at climbing and can glide.
Its a really, really fun character to play as, and double so becuase he was a pirate in a flying ship, and was the only character in the party (besides the sorcerer, she had feather fall from lvl 1) who wasnt afraid of heights at all. Ahh I forgot to mention, I kidnapped a princes and climbed a huge tower and was attacked by some guys riding figurines of wonder (I think it was the ebon fly one) and I decimated them with my breath weapon.
hehehe fun times.

That's uhh..... That's... Awesome. o__o;... Totemist can do that? Or is that from other templates, etc?

erikun
2011-04-11, 10:06 PM
Oh you are a beast grappling
decimated them with my breath weapon.

I'm not familiar with the character, but all of this is Totemist stuff.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-11, 10:32 PM
A Hadozee Totemist.
hehehe fun times.

Please tell me that at some point you fought a giant atomic fire breathing lizard. That so deserves to be a Godzilla fight.

TurtleKing
2011-04-12, 12:18 AM
Did ya'll forget not Tome of Battle.

classy one
2011-04-12, 01:02 AM
I personally love artificers, rogues and psychic warriors.

But that monkey pirate totemist sounds awesome. Makes me want to learn Incarnum now.

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-12, 01:32 AM
I personally love artificers, rogues and psychic warriors.

But that monkey pirate totemist sounds awesome. Makes me want to learn Incarnum now.

Same... Same...

I've played rogues (a lot. I always wind up being the party rogue of some sort), psionics are banned and I'm going to steer away from the artificers for now. >.> The paperwork is intimidating.

Eloel
2011-04-12, 03:53 AM
I'll give another vote for Warlock.

Or, if you'd rather, Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adept.

I breathe in your general direction!

classy one
2011-04-12, 05:46 AM
Same... Same...

I've played rogues (a lot. I always wind up being the party rogue of some sort), psionics are banned and I'm going to steer away from the artificers for now. >.> The paperwork is intimidating.
First class I ever picked was a rogue and it is stil my first love. Lots of talk about Factotums but the picture I always get in my head is the class factotum, which is basically just teacher's pet with authority.

Too bad about psionics, psywar IMHO is the best melee class period (including ToB classes).

Artificers can be very simple and enjoyable even without all the min-max madness. The easiest is the blastificer which uses wands to kill things.

I personally love pimping out party and listening to them swoon at how awesome their gear is. (Warning: DM may hate you doing this)

Greenish
2011-04-12, 12:12 PM
Not really a class thing, but I always enjoy playing luck based characters, that load up on luck feats and other feats that allow rerolls.The best reroll feat is Planar Touchstone.

Bard: I've actually never played a bard before but I think I have a negative outlook on them because of that one movie.Here's a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0). Here's lil' something (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8334.0) for that one song (no, not the one about hedgehogs).

Beguiler: I've actually wanted to play a Beguiler too so this is up there in consideration.One of my favourites, in all their trickery. Here's a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.20).

And Warlocks are fun. :)Dragonfire Adept works much like Warlock, but has it's own approach and in general benefits from having come later in the development cycle.

kiergon
2011-04-12, 02:38 PM
That's uhh..... That's... Awesome. o__o;... Totemist can do that? Or is that from other templates, etc?

O yeah Totemists can do that
The monkey look you get from being a Hadozee (storm wrack race, not particularly powerful, but very fun to play as)
Ok here is what you need to become my pirate monkey totemist.
This is not an OP build, or hugely maximized, its just fun to play as.

Soulmelds you want
Girallon Arms (totem): 4 arms +2 climb & grapple checks (+2 per 1 essentia invested). You want to invest as many points of essentia as posible on it, and then bind it to your totem chakra por 4 natural attacks of 1d4 damage.
Kraken Mantle(arms): Bind it to your arms for another +1 to grapple checks per essentia point invested, besides now you can swim really fast.
Claws of the Wyrm (hands, dragon magic): all your claw attacks now deal 1d6 damage +1 enh bonus to aattack/damage rolls per essentia point invested. If you bind to your hand chakra then the claw damage improves to d8.
Dragon Tail (waist, dragon magic): you grow a tail that deals 1d8 +str damage. +1 enh bonus to attack/damage per point of essentia invested. If you bind it to your waist chakra it gains reach (cant be used for AoO) and deals 2d6 + str and a half damage.
Threefold Mask of the Chimera gives you 3 heads. if you bind it to your totem chakra you gain 3 meh bite attacks, But I talked to my DM and he let them look like my other heads so this added to the effect of the monkey beast.
Dread Carapace gives you power attack for your natural attacks. Bound to your arms the threat range for crits of your natural attacks is doubled. Bound to your heart it gives you SR 5 +4 per essentia point invested.
Manticore Meld gives you a spine volley, and this can be the main source of damage for many Totemist, it can also be your best option to get flight.

Then you need a special movement meld, choose between becoming ethereal (phase cloak) or
Blink shirt Teleport 10 at will +10 per essentia point invested. Bound it to your totem and you can teleport as a move action, on your heart you gain blink as the spell at will.

For Breath weapons you have either Dragonfire mask (dragon magic), Gorgon Mask.
Sphinx Claws give you pounce. (Nice).
Kutrik Claws adds acid to your claws.
Dont abuse Basilisk mask, its a petrifying gaze that scales with your lvl and con, which is your main stat...
Frost Helm can be useful, and can be abused too much.

Feats
At first level get Improved Soulmeld Capacity (totem chakra).
Lvl 3 get bonus essentia
Lvl 6 shape soulmeld Impulse boots (evasion and uncanny dodge)
lvl 9 double chakra totem

Items: Get the incarnum focus items, look for them on the MIC, they are way cheaper there. I made a custom Incarnum focus item for Totem Chakra, and made it a Ring, I dont see why this would be a problem, but ask your DM anyway. Get them in this order Totem, Arms, Feet, Shoulder, waist, heart, etc...

There you go you too can be a gliding pirate 4 armed monkey with 3 heads a dragon like tail, breath weapon and that can teleport as night crawler. Enjoy

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-04-12, 06:17 PM
the difference between a villain and a supervillain. While the Wizard takes the cake is power, nobody can up the Warlock in presentation :smallbiggrin:I see what you did ther