PDA

View Full Version : Deflect Arrows without a free hand

hisnamehere
2011-04-11, 10:32 AM
I was researching a character today, and was intrigued by the ability of a monk to use their unarmed strikes even with their hands full, using instead their feet and knees.

However, I then read the description of the Deflect Arrows feat, which requires the practitioner to have one hand free to take advantage of its benefits.

While the layman deflecter (i.e. a non-monk with Imp Unarmed Strike and Dex 13+) being required to have a free hand to use Deflect Arrows seems plausible, might not we be able to assume that the more agile Monk would be able to pull this stunt off with a well-timed kick?

Thoughts? Rulings?

Thanks in advance,

Goonthegoof
2011-04-11, 10:50 AM
I dunno, monks are pretty tough already. Don't need to give them even more advantages over wizards.

Cartigan
2011-04-11, 10:54 AM
I dunno, monks are pretty tough already. Don't need to give them even more advantages over wizards.

Yeah, I mean, what will Wizards do when Spiked Chain wielding Monks can deflect their Acid Arrows?

Cog
2011-04-11, 11:04 AM
I was researching a character today, and was intrigued by the ability of a monk to use their unarmed strikes even with their hands full, using instead their feet and knees.
This is true of all unarmed strikes, not just the Monk's.

While the layman deflecter (i.e. a non-monk with Imp Unarmed Strike and Dex 13+) being required to have a free hand to use Deflect Arrows seems plausible, might not we be able to assume that the more agile Monk would be able to pull this stunt off with a well-timed kick?
Given the above, and given that archery usually consists of volleys where deflecting a single attack doesn't cut the damage down much, I'd be fine with anybody doing it, not just Monks.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-11, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I mean, what will Wizards do when Spiked Chain wielding Monks can deflect their Acid Arrows?

My sarcasm detector just exploded...:smallfrown:

Cartigan
2011-04-11, 03:13 PM
My sarcasm detector just exploded...:smallfrown:

Sarcastro strikes again.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-11, 03:22 PM
Sarcastro strikes again.

Sarcastro seems to have a large pool of sneak attack dice.

holywhippet
2011-04-11, 04:31 PM
I really don't understand why they added the requirement of having a hand free. For the monk at least there's a decent chance they aren't using a weapon. But fighters can take this as a bonus feat and there's few reasons why they wouldn't be either using a sword and shield, a two handed weapon or dual weapons. You'd think this feat would give a bonus to using a shield (maybe not a tower shield), not exclude it altogether.

Sacrieur
2011-04-11, 04:39 PM
Because clearly, if you can deflect an arrow with your hand, you can't deflect an arrow with something in your hand. Makes sense to me.

>_>

Shadowleaf
2011-04-11, 04:43 PM
If dropping a weapon is a Free Action, why wouldn't letting go with one hand be?

I'd let a Fighter wielding a 2-hand weapon use Deflect, that's for sure.

cfalcon
2011-04-11, 04:45 PM
The idea is that you are swatting the arrow out of the air, open handed. Having something in your hand will just limit your ability to do this, is the idea.

It's also one of the few advantages if you are playing a one-handed swashbuckler for some reason.

Anyway, it won't dramatically up the power of this feat if you houserule it, but it's very cool and flavorful as it was. Our monk had a positive blast with it all through the last campaign- may favorite was a full attack that was all misses except one massive crit... which he instead just caught. Note that it's when you would normally be hit, so you don't waste it on misses and such.

holywhippet
2011-04-11, 04:45 PM
I'd be tempted to agree, but if you think about it a fighter is most likely swinging his 2-handed weapon at an enemy while the arrow is incoming. They can't just pause their attack, deflect the arrow then continue on.

nedz
2011-04-11, 05:04 PM
Maybe you should let a Dwarf use their beard ?

Deflect Arrows does royally screw Arcane Archers.

Or indeed anyone relying on precision: Scouts, OBI, etc.

Mutazoia
2011-04-11, 05:49 PM
Maybe you should let a Dwarf use their beard ?

Deflect Arrows does royally screw Arcane Archers.

Or indeed anyone relying on precision: Scouts, OBI, etc.

Eh...not really... Imbue Arrow with an AOE spell and then fire it at the ground two feet in front of your cocky arrow deflector...

arguskos
2011-04-11, 05:54 PM
Sarcastro strikes again.
So, you need to change your user name to Sarcastro. It'd be totally worth it.

Also, there is a way to do this, kinda. Spinning Defense (Dragon Compendium) can Deflect Arrows without a free hand, but you have to be in total defense and wielding a polearm. >_>

Frankly, I see no issue just houseruling Deflect Arrows to work without a free hand.

ericgrau
2011-04-11, 06:15 PM
If dropping a weapon is a Free Action, why wouldn't letting go with one hand be?

I'd let a Fighter wielding a 2-hand weapon use Deflect, that's for sure.

Or by RAW he could simply declare he's holding his weapon with one hand, giving up his attacks of opportunity that he probably doesn't need anyway if half his enemies are shooting at him.

And ya a "volley" of arrows in D&D usually means 1-2 hits until very high levels.

John Campbell
2011-04-11, 07:26 PM
It's a lot easier to deflect arrows with a weapon than it is to do it empty-handed.

I speak from experience.