PDA

View Full Version : IIP?: Lego Warhammer 40K

Otogi
2011-04-11, 01:33 PM
Perhaps I'm not the biggest fan of the Warhammer 40K universe, but it deffinitely has some cool things in it and the newest game for it (Warhammer 40K: Space Marine) looks pretty sweet. One thing I've been kind of tossing around in my head though is a Warhammer 40K Lego game, not so much in how it would work but rather could it? Is it something that Lego and Games Workshop would even want to put their name on, and if so, would people still want to play it?

hamishspence
2011-04-11, 01:42 PM
Lego tended to avoid excessively military themes- less in the way of tanks, fighter aircraft, and so on. Since Lego Star Wars though, they might be more open to it.

40K might be a bit on the grimdark side for them- though I can't help picturing Lego versions of various Imperial Guard regiments.

Domochevsky
2011-04-11, 04:30 PM
Grimdark Lego 40k might be just about hilarious though. :smallbiggrin:

Squark
2011-04-11, 05:37 PM
I think 40k is too grimdark for a game based on a child's toy. The things Tyranids, Necrons, even the Humans do would have moral guardians up in arms if Lego included them (Without being totally and completely slapstick, the game would easily land itself a T rating, something Lego doesn't want)

EDIT: And now I have the image of a Lego Ciaphas Cain running around in my head. >.>

Otogi
2011-04-11, 06:16 PM
I think 40k is too grimdark for a game based on a child's toy. The things Tyranids, Necrons, even the Humans do would have moral guardians up in arms if Lego included them (Without being totally and completely slapstick, the game would easily land itself a T rating, something Lego doesn't want)

EDIT: And now I have the image of a Lego Ciaphas Cain running around in my head. >.>

Well, yeah, but isn't being completely slapstick sort of the Lego game's thing? For example, check out this clip at 7:13 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn7WdKA_fA0&feature=related). That's the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where heads were supposed to melt and cursh and stuff.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 06:18 PM
When in doubt, there's always Brikwars. (http://www.brikwars.com/)

dsmiles
2011-04-11, 06:32 PM
That sounds so awesome. I might even buy into that.

Also, Brikwars, W00T!

The Glyphstone
2011-04-11, 06:56 PM
I think Lego40K would sink through Grimdark, right past Grimderp, and then loop right around to Awesome.

Brother Oni
2011-04-11, 07:23 PM
Lego Orks - now they really do have a logical reason why they can just slap a couple bricks together to make a fully functioning main battle tank. :smallbiggrin:

Otogi
2011-04-11, 11:09 PM
Lego Orks - now they really do have a logical reason why they can just slap a couple bricks together to make a fully functioning main battle tank. :smallbiggrin:

I would imagine that every race could do that in the game - except Orks can connect pieces without fitting blocks.

Arcanoi
2011-04-12, 12:08 AM
(Without being totally and completely slapstick, the game would easily land itself a T rating, something Lego doesn't want)

I don't think this is true. Things like Tyranids picking over a battle harvesting the broken pieces of their foes could be relatively true to the source without earning a T-Rating.

GolemsVoice
2011-04-12, 06:32 AM
Otogi is right, they managed to include some scenes that are pretty brutal if you think about it. For example, in Lego Star Wars, Chewbacca rips out enemie's arms. But the Lego style does a good job at making the violence seem harmless. Also, all enemies in Lego games were very villanious, like Nazis or Storm Troopers, so there was not much moral complexity to it. I figure a Lego Warhammer 40K might work if it was something like a "good" party, like an Inquisitor or a Space Marine strike team, against some "evil" or nunhuman enemies, like Tyranids, Orcs or chaos cultists.

Though I wonder how they would represent Space Marines....

dsmiles
2011-04-12, 06:37 AM
Though I wonder how they would represent Space Marines....Little lego dudes with SM helmets, silly. :smallwink:

GolemsVoice
2011-04-12, 06:38 AM
For the Emperor! For the Brickfather! (http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=23144)

I thought that lookd pretty good!

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 06:38 AM
Little lego dudes with SM helmets, silly. :smallwink:

And bigass pauldrons that attach via the usual system - popping the dude's head off, slotting em in, and putting his head back on.

GolemsVoice
2011-04-12, 06:40 AM
I feel silly for asking now :smallwink:

dsmiles
2011-04-12, 06:43 AM
And bigass pauldrons that attach via the usual system - popping the dude's head off, slotting em in, and putting his head back on.
It had to be said:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2008/5/1208989070260-26001042.jpg

EDIT: BRICKS FOR THE BRICK GOD!!!!

The_Final_Stand
2011-04-12, 09:39 AM
I don't care that this would likely never happen. If it did happen, it would be The Best.

Leads to the question though, how would Lego Warhammer 40K; The 14th Black Crusade work as a game? Would each race have a different storyline or something?

GolemsVoice
2011-04-12, 09:54 AM
I don't think you'd get to play as every race. As I said, an Inquisitor and his gang would probably fit best, because this way you could easily justify the second player that's often part of the Lego games. It also offers a vide variety of characters. The Inquisitor and his band would most likely go on a wacky slapstick hunt for some alien artifact or such a thing. Something that avoids the brutal battles and the more horrifying scenarios, and offers an entertaining protagonist.

Damn I want this game.

Misery Esquire
2011-04-12, 10:03 AM
I don't think you'd get to play as every race. As I said, an Inquisitor and his gang would probably fit best, because this way you could easily justify the second player that's often part of the Lego games. It also offers a vide variety of characters. The Inquisitor and his band would most likely go on a wacky slapstick hunt for some alien artifact or such a thing. Something that avoids the brutal battles and the more horrifying scenarios, and offers an entertaining protagonist.

=> You open little grey-lego chest.
=> Baneblade cannon sticks out
=> It must've taken some sort of Tactical Geniu- CRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
=> Cut to grey-haired cigar-chomping lego guy. Hurr hurr.

Squark
2011-04-12, 01:09 PM
Personally, I think the Ciaphas Cain novels would work rather well, because between Jurgen and Amberly, Cain usually has at least one person with him, and Cain's adventures have enough humor in them already that excess grimdark could be avoided.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 01:11 PM
Dude, Lego avoids excess grimdark by definition.

If you've ever played Lego Star Wars, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, remember the final scene of Return of the Jedi? The touching moment between Luke and his dying mass murderer father? In the films Luke pops off his helmet, allowing him to die maskless, as Anakin instead of Vader.

In Lego Star Wars, Luke pops his head off, pulls the Withered Anakin Skywalker head out, and sticks that on. His eyes promptly turn into Xs.

It was hilarious.

Squark
2011-04-12, 01:15 PM
It should also be mentioned that I'm a bit of A Cain fanboy, so that last statement was obviously biased.

Sadly, though, something tells me these two IPs will only ever touch through the works of fans.

druid91
2011-04-12, 02:27 PM
When in doubt, there's always Brikwars. (http://www.brikwars.com/)

Dangit, now I want to dig out my legos and play a game...