PDA

View Full Version : Avast Is Going Nuts?

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-11, 02:25 PM
For some reason, Avast has just decided to block both this site and Facebook on my computer, saying that there's malware on both sites. Is this the case for any of you or is a problem with my computer?

EDIT: This is what Avast says it's finding on GiTP and Facebook: HTML:RedirME-inf [Trj]

Jack Squat
2011-04-11, 02:36 PM
I'm running Avast and have both open right now.

EDIT: @V AVG works fairly well - or did back when i used it.

Drascin
2011-04-11, 02:38 PM
Yes, just happened to me a couple minutes ago. It went insane and started blocking every single forum. I just had to deactivate the shields for a moment to post this. This plus the dumb Avast gadget that refuses to stop appearing are starting to get on my nerves. Suggestions for another good free antivirus? :smallmad:

pendell
2011-04-11, 02:40 PM
I have paranoid anti-malware scanners and I have never experienced a problem with this site. Not once. Some of my co-workers are repeatedly zapped by malware from a variety of sources, but none of them view OOTS. I do, and those malware infections I have been experienced have been from other sources , typically Russian media linked on realclearworld.com. Some of their news outlets are stuffed with the stuff.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-11, 02:47 PM
And now it says that I have viruses and when I tried to quarantine them it says that access is denied what do I do I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS.

Maxios
2011-04-11, 02:51 PM
And this is why I have Norton :smalltongue:

Seriously though, that sounds very strange. I suggest emailing the company behind Avast, and asking them why it's going crazy.

Mordokai
2011-04-11, 02:54 PM
Running avast, everything works perfectly for me.

Oldad
2011-04-11, 03:03 PM
I don't have Avast, but McAfee and a couple other anti-Malware and Facebook was such a problem that I basically stopped going there. It's particularly bad if you do any of their, "Games." This site seems fine.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-11, 03:05 PM
I just ran a different anti-malware scan and it says that my computer is fine. What the heck is going on here?

Mina Kobold
2011-04-11, 03:09 PM
I have both Avast, Mcaffee and Norton (Different computers) and none of them think GitP is in any way dangerous. But I do remember that there was a thread about something similar that turned out to be caused by a signature picture hosted on a site that contained malware somewhere unrelated to the picture itself.

So, in short, Anti-viri are paranoid. :smalltongue:

Really hope your computer is OK, Coffee. Malware is never fun. :smallfrown:

EDIT: My Avast updates automatically, if yours does too then it could be a buggy update. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-11, 03:11 PM
Well, I have a friend who's good with this stuff; he should be able to take care of it on Saturday.

killionaire
2011-04-11, 03:14 PM
This started happening to me right after avast updated itself today. I'm guessing it's just a bad update. I hope they fix this soon because it's driving me crazy.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-11, 03:16 PM
This started happening to me right after avast updated itself today. I'm guessing it's just a bad update. I hope they fix this soon because it's driving me crazy.

Could this be it?

Corlindale
2011-04-11, 03:18 PM
I have that exact same problem! Just started today after updating too. I'm guessing it's a faulty update as well, then.

killionaire
2011-04-11, 03:18 PM
Could this be it?

I guess so because literally 2 mins after it updated it started happening for me. Did yours update right before it started happening also? I just disabled avast and emailed them. They should do something about it in a day or 2.... lol

Amphetryon
2011-04-11, 03:45 PM
I have that exact same problem! Just started today after updating too. I'm guessing it's a faulty update as well, then.

Jumping on the bandwagon. I had the same experience here after updating avast. Let's hope they patch it soon.

Spartacus
2011-04-11, 03:49 PM
I guess I'll not update Avast for a little while, then...

MichaelC57
2011-04-11, 04:34 PM
Hi All
Avast has new def file out that will fix the problem its 110411-2 I was having the same problem previouly

Michael

Winter_Wolf
2011-04-11, 04:35 PM
I'm using Avast free edition, and it's set to auto-update. Yet here I am on my computer posting. It is entirely possible that the issue has been resolved via update already, or that it's specific to certain configurations, right? Although come to think of it, a few days ago Avast was pulling some weird crap like blocking other sites I was trying to visit from iGoogle.

Still preferring it over its competition though.

ghost_warlock
2011-04-11, 06:35 PM
Good to know. I run Avast! but have it set to manual update. Was thinking about updating earlier, but keeping this in mind maybe I'll wait a few more days. :smalltongue:

Irbis
2011-04-11, 06:42 PM
And this is why I have Norton :smalltongue:

o_O

It's like curing broken finger by hacking it off.

Eh, what I'd do, is to download one of the bootable antiviruses, and give your PC a check, as it sounds it was hijacked by something not-nice.

killionaire
2011-04-11, 08:08 PM
updated and no sign of that stuff from before. gj avast team.

so whats this site about i just registered to post about this because i saw it on google search.

VanBuren
2011-04-11, 08:36 PM

so whats this site about i just registered to post about this because i saw it on google search.

Canned Fruit.

Canned peaches specifically, but we talk about all kinds of canned fruit.

Vegetables too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-12, 02:50 AM

so whats this site about i just registered to post about this because i saw it on google search.To give a less obtuse answer, the main site, Giant in the Playground Games, is the home of the webcomic The Order of the Stick, which is a very popular stylized humorous comic about a group of Dungeons and Dragons characters and their quest to save the world.

The forums, however, are not strictly limited to discussion of the webcomic. In fact, aside from a few inappropriate topics listed in the rules of posting, the topics here run the gammut from heavy metal to HALO and My Little Pony to werewolves, and pretty much anything in between.

The forums are broken down into subforums by broad categories and it should be fairly easy to find a place to have nearly any discussion you want to have (again, within the forum rules, which you are encouraged to read if you choose to become a regular poster here, as the rules are a might more stringent than other places).

On topic: thanks for the heads up about Avast. That's what Alarra uses so if we see this sort of wonkiness, we'll know what to do about it.

VanBuren
2011-04-12, 09:33 PM
To give a less obtuse answer, the main site, Giant in the Playground Games, is the home of the webcomic The Order of the Stick, which is a very popular stylized humorous comic about a group of Dungeons and Dragons characters and their quest to save the world.

You're no fun whatsoever, you know that?

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-12, 10:55 PM
It's all better now. Thanks, guys!