PDA

View Full Version : tier system

person29
2011-04-11, 03:42 PM
I know about the tier system for base classes and saw the thread on BG...however I was wondering if there is something similar for prestige classes?

I'm assuming most PrCs would fall in the same tier as the main base class they are designed for, however I'm hoping maybe there is a thread somewhere that people know about that has PrCs tiered out...just cause I find it interesting. If not maybe we can start one if anyone thinks its necessary!

Thanks!

Veyr
2011-04-11, 03:47 PM
Yup, here.

Cog
2011-04-11, 03:47 PM
There's one on these very forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107618). It doesn't go by tiers directly; it goes by how it changes the tier for the class that would usually enter it.

person29
2011-04-11, 03:49 PM
awesome thanks...apparently i fail at searching

gorfnab
2011-04-11, 03:54 PM
Can also be found on BG: Tier system for prestige classes (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3876.0)

navar100
2011-04-11, 05:48 PM
Master of Nine is not a -1! I played one as a crusader/swordsage increasing crusader progression. With extra granted maneuver, by the time I finished it I had 11 maneuvers readied with 9 granted, refreshing every 3 rounds for free. That is worth +1. Make it +0 if you really, really hate the downgrade of HD and BAB. A crusader has to multiclass to enter, but two levels in swordsage or warblade is good! Multiclassing between martial adepts does not suck.

Warblades like it too. They have the fewest number of readied maneuvers. Master of Nine gives them +5 more. That is worth +1. Make it +0 if you really, really hate the downgrade of HD and BAB.

Swordsages aren't boosted as much, but it's still +5 more maneuvers readied and they want Adaptive Style feat anyway.

Improved Unarmed Strike, while not the greatest, isn't a wasted feat. All strike maneuvers work with unarmed strikes. Therefore, if you are disarmed, sundered, or for whatever reason don't have your weapon, all your strikes still work. All strikes that deal extra damage and/or apply some penalty to your opponent are available. Compare that to a leaping power attacking barbarian who doesn't have his greatsword.

Cog
2011-04-11, 06:08 PM
Master of Nine is not a -1!
I think it's more a matter of prereqs versus benefits. Sure, Mo9 has good things going for it, but there's plenty of other things you could be doing with all those feats, and the bonus maneuvers known more make up for the scattered maneuvers known you had to take to get in.

Also, the situation of not having your weapon doesn't count much toward tier rankings. See: Soulknife. The benefit of having maneuvers instead of power attack also doesn't contribute; the presumed entry is a class with maneuvers too, after all.