PDA

View Full Version : Non-Dungeon Battles: Terrain, Formations, Tactics

Snarfmite
2011-04-11, 03:55 PM
For my upcoming campaign, I want to go out of my way to make each battle interesting. I'm having trouble thinking of ways to do this in outdoor/open environments.

Terrain is key, but I can't think of any good outdoor features other than trees, bushes, rocky outcroppings/cliffs. Besides some ridiculous plant creatures or a drop off a cliff, I can't think of any hazards.

Additionally, I want my players to fight intelligent enemies who use varied and effective tactics. For instance, I plan on using at least one tribe of Kobolds who fight in phalanx formation (group moves half-speed at lowest initiative of members?). I'm having trouble thinking of other unorthodox but effective tactics I can use in open environments.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What are some memorable outdoor/open-space encounters that you have run/participated in?

Kmcdswan
2011-04-11, 05:01 PM
My favorite outdoor encounter was a tent city. I gave teh tent walls 5 HP (1 attack more or less) and let players make their own doors they then engaged a group of hobgoblins including a shadowdancer (which give that it was a night ambush gave lots of shadows to play with) I had fun with it because sightlines were massive and tiny at the same time (long rows of tents with footpaths in front of them) which was great for the rouges and crossbowman.

Other thoughts include simple tricks like cammoflauge to generate ambushes (lots of creature get stealth bonuses in X climate) and rough terain if your party favors charging also I've foudn that a simple 20' stone wall can sometimes prove a substantial change for melee characters, but blasters tend to ignore them.

Using partialy rough terrain can be a good way to funnel your party into a trap because parties rarely check for traps outdoors and even if they think to in combat traps are quite tircky because it take sa full minute (10 ROUNDS OF COMBAT!) do try and disarm so it has to be avoided.

Finaly put these together use a wall with archers on it plus some semi distant cavalry for teh fighters to start moving towards then drop stealth on some badguys near the casters who stayed to hammer teh archers. The outdoors are big and players often forget teh rule agaisnt spliting up in the heat of combat.

As Always,
LKMS.

Xetheral
2011-04-11, 05:45 PM
Open space does not preclude terrain obstacles (e.g. river, ditch, marsh, bog, tall crops, animal herds, ancient gravestones). Also, inclement weather is useful if used sparingly ("It's raining again, time to buff!").

The chief advantage when designing outdoor encounters, however, is the larger potential scale than is usually available in a dungeon. Long-range encounters, multi-faction fights, presence of bystanders, threats with usual mobility, involvement of vehicles... all of these are appropriate when outdoors.

An example:

If your PCs are fighting just one part of a larger battle, consider having a level-inappropriate dragon that periodically swoops overhead and uses its breath weapon as it makes sweeps of the battlefield. This adds excitement without requiring that the PCs actually be able to successfully engage that dragon. Instead of simply calling for saves and rolling damage dice, however, before each pass give everyone warning of the Dragon’s approach (or give spot checks, depending on the circumstances), making everyone rush for the limited available sources of Total Cover. If the Dragon doesn't care about friendly fire (or if he represents a separate faction), then the PCs' enemies will be fighting for that same cover....

Basically, when you’re outside of the confines of a dungeon, you have more space with which to work. Fill that space with the multiple elements of your encounter and you can have an exciting battle even without dramatic or memorable terrain.