PDA

View Full Version : I...I must be dreaming

Starwulf
2011-04-11, 07:07 PM
Wow...these forums are like a dream come true. I was recently brung here by a forum member over at Bethsoft forums, in order to participate in a Star Wars forum RPG. For some reason, it's taken me this long to explore the rest of the forums, but man am I glad I did. I've been unable to fulfill my D&D craving in any other way besides NWN for the PC in like 13 years(since I know of no-one who plays pnp style D&D where I live), but I can see that may end now that I know about these forums.

I've only browsed a few threads thus far, and already I find myself wanting to post on the threads(haven't yet, mainly because those threads are already epically long, and I see no point in adding to a 10+ page thread).

Basically, this is a "Hi, I"m new here to these forums, and am damn glad to be here!" thread. Hope to get a chance to interact with you all in the future!

dsmiles
2011-04-11, 07:11 PM
Need an introduction?

There's an app thread for that. :smalltongue:

Welcome to the Playground. By the way, on here there are gamers in MD...and North VA.

Amridell
2011-04-11, 07:14 PM
<slaps

You're not dreaming, these forums are for real! I had pretty much the same reaction.

Tengu_temp
2011-04-11, 07:16 PM
Everything has a bad side, and those forums are no exception. It probably won't be long until you start to see it. It is a pretty okay place, but perfect? Heck no. Nothing is.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 07:18 PM
Just wait til Monk threads, the "Does my paladin fall" threads, and the ever-popular "So, why does everyone seem to love this 'Tome of Battle' thing so much? It's like... Spells for fighters." threads start to show up. It's only tuesday, give it til thursday-ish.

Doc Roc
2011-04-11, 07:20 PM
Just wait til Monk threads, the "Does my paladin fall" threads, and the ever-popular "So, why does everyone seem to love this 'Tome of Battle' thing so much? It's like... Spells for fighters." threads start to show up. It's only tuesday, give it til thursday-ish.

Things have mostly calmed down now, really.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 07:28 PM
Things have mostly calmed down now, really.

This is true for the second two, but last week alone there were three monks threads burning simultaneously.

But that whole can of worms is something that isn't ever going to totally calm down.

dsmiles
2011-04-11, 07:31 PM
Things have mostly calmed down now, really.Wait...isn't today Monkday? No monk threads in sight. I am severely disappointed in the Playgrounders. :smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 07:34 PM
Wait...isn't today Monkday? No monk threads in sight. I am severely disappointed in the Playgrounders. :smalltongue:

Right? I've been all geared up to vehemently shout down those playgrounders with differing opinions from mine, and they had the nerve not to show up!?

I feel so insignificant... :smalleek:

dsmiles
2011-04-11, 07:36 PM
Right? I've been all geared up to vehemently shout down those playgrounders with differing opinions from mine, and they had the nerve not to show up!?

I feel so insignificant... :smalleek:

I had a witty comeback all prepared, but I started to laugh so hard I forgot it.

I was all like :smallsmile: then I was like :smallbiggrin: then I was all :smallannoyed:.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-11, 07:40 PM
Monk threads show up in the 4E subsection, but that's because 4E monks are actually good at their job.

Though that is one thing that's finally gone away, the edition war threads.

Starscream
2011-04-11, 08:00 PM
Welcome. We also have a webcomic. It's about the sequence in which a stick can be placed.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 08:01 PM
Welcome. We also have a webcomic. It's about the sequence in which a stick can be placed.

It's not actually about that, but the webcomic is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! :smallbiggrin:

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-11, 08:03 PM
OH GOD! LEAVE BEFORE THEY GET YOU WITH THE MIN-

There is no mind control. Go back to your fun, citizen.

Starwulf
2011-04-11, 08:19 PM
Ehh, I don't need no mind-gas to keep me here ^^ At least, not for now ^^

Ooh, monk threads, my favorite! One of my favorite classes for NWN, and I also played a monk in FFXI(mmorpg) from 2003-2011.

It's great to be here, and I hope I get to meet the gamers from maryland. I'll state right now I'm from Western Maryland if anyone sees this thread that's from that area.

I actually knew about the webcomic, I've seen it referenced on multiple forums :)

Kinsmarck
2011-04-11, 08:20 PM
Remember that bad side mentioned earlier? Yeah, that's only scratching the surface, man! I can't say any more though, or else they'll--

They will return me to my fun, citizen, as you should return to yours.

Gavinfoxx
2011-04-11, 08:32 PM
Monks really weren't that bad in NWN and NWN2. Sadly, uh, those aren't really that close to the 3.5 rules...

Even with TONS of mods adding classes and spells and stuff, I haven't been able to get really high power stuff going on in NWN or NWN2; all the best stuff that is the bread and butter of these forums isn't really done. Okay, the PRC did more for original NWN, I guess.... and I want to give that guy who did Tome of Battle for NWN2 a bunch of money or something...

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 08:38 PM
and I want to give that guy who did Tome of Battle for NWN2 a bunch of money or something...

They did what in the who now with my NWN2 what in the ToB now?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 08:40 PM
I actually knew about the webcomic, I've seen it referenced on multiple forums :)

IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THESE FORUMS, YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE WEBCOMIC.

But seriously, the comic's excellent.

Douglas
2011-04-11, 08:50 PM
Monks are a whole lot better in NWN than in D&D, primarily because of the large quantities of very good monk-only magic equipment combined with the available equipment typically forcing other classes to choose between the immunities monks get for free and important stat bonuses. Also the game being structured to not handle most utility options in the first place meant that Monks not having those options didn't matter - no one had them.

Of course, then UMD comes along and makes all those Monk-only items available to non-Monks, but at least they can use them more easily and earlier and UMD doesn't imitate the non-equipment immunities benefit.

Gavinfoxx
2011-04-11, 08:50 PM
They did what in the who now with my NWN2 what in the ToB now?

Some guy made a modification that put the entirety of the Tome of Battle into Neverwinter Nights 2 as a player character option. He didn't do AI for it though, so you have to do all the actions manually. It even was the first way I've seen that someone added the CHARGE action to Neverwinter Nights 2, which was a huuuuge omission.

That's why I liked (post fan patches), the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil computer game; it got the D&D feel to me, most, being more overtly turn based and such.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 08:52 PM
That's pretty excellent. I've finally got a reason to start up a new character.

dsmiles
2011-04-12, 04:54 AM
That's pretty excellent. I've finally got a reason to start up a new character.Keep in mind, it's a more than a little glitchy, IME.

Sacrieur
2011-04-12, 04:55 AM
Don't get sucked in too fast. I've made over 500 posts in 3 weeks.

Guys, I think I have a problem t_t

Radar
2011-04-12, 05:07 AM
Monk threads show up in the 4E subsection, but that's because 4E monks are actually good at their job.

Though that is one thing that's finally gone away, the edition war threads.
Huh? :smallconfused: Didn't we have that yesterday (the thread about D&D being dead)?

Starwulf
2011-04-12, 05:15 AM
Don't get sucked in too fast. I've made over 500 posts in 3 weeks.

Guys, I think I have a problem t_t

Hehe, I've been away from D&D for far to long, I've forgotten so much stuff that I probably won't post a lot mainly from lack of knowledge

Tengu_temp
2011-04-12, 05:41 AM
Monks really weren't that bad in NWN and NWN2. Sadly, uh, those aren't really that close to the 3.5 rules...

Even with TONS of mods adding classes and spells and stuff, I haven't been able to get really high power stuff going on in NWN or NWN2; all the best stuff that is the bread and butter of these forums isn't really done. Okay, the PRC did more for original NWN, I guess.... and I want to give that guy who did Tome of Battle for NWN2 a bunch of money or something...

Monks are still pretty bad in NWN. So are rangers, straight fighters and all the other classes that are already low-tier in DND. There are two builds that completely murder this game:
1. Wizard or sorcerer. Spam Isaac's Greater Missile Storm, especially the maximized version, and Time Stop. Enjoy dealing extreme force damage and being virtually untouchable.
2. Cleric with a one-level dip in monk. Wield two kamas, buff up the wazoo. Watch as you deal a crapload of damage with each of your 9001 attacks in a round.

In other words, the same classes that are overpowered in DND are also overpowered in NWN. Druids are a bit weaker, but still better than all non-casters.

Sacrieur
2011-04-12, 05:53 AM
Monks are still pretty bad in NWN. So are rangers, straight fighters and all the other classes that are already low-tier in DND. There are two builds that completely murder this game:
1. Wizard or sorcerer. Spam Isaac's Greater Missile Storm, especially the maximized version, and Time Stop. Enjoy dealing extreme force damage and being virtually untouchable.
2. Cleric with a one-level dip in monk. Wield two kamas, buff up the wazoo. Watch as you deal a crapload of damage with each of your 9001 attacks in a round.

In other words, the same classes that are overpowered in DND are also overpowered in NWN. Druids are a bit weaker, but still better than all non-casters.

Druids are weaker? What...

Druids are like, gods who have come down to grace men with their presence. Sorcerers are tier 2. Wizards, Clerics, Druids, and Artificers are all tier 1.

dsmiles
2011-04-12, 05:56 AM
Druids are weaker? What...

Druids are like, gods who have come down to grace men with their presence. Sorcerers are tier 2. Wizards, Clerics, Druids, and Artificers are all tier 1.We're off on a NWN video game tangent here, not tabletop DnD. Druids in NWN are a bit weaker.

Yuki Akuma
2011-04-12, 06:23 AM
Someone talked about the bad side of the forums?

Hi!

dsmiles
2011-04-12, 06:28 AM
Someone talked about the bad side of the forums?

Hi!Ask, and ye shall recieve, eh? :smalltongue:

hewhosaysfish
2011-04-12, 06:48 AM
Ooh, monk threads, my favorite!
You know, I suspect they're not...

One of my favorite classes for NWN, and I also played a monk in FFXI(mmorpg) from 2003-2011.
...and this is why.
Avoid the Monk Threads: you will find neither happiness nor peace therein.

Read the comic instead! :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2011-04-12, 07:10 AM
Hehe, I've been away from D&D for far to long, I've forgotten so much stuff that I probably won't post a lot mainly from lack of knowledgeNote that while D&D is the most widespread system to be discussed, I'd still not call it a proper D&D forum. We have a pretty strong Exalted community, and any other system you'd wish to talk about is just fine.

That's not even touching the homebrew, webcomic and assorted media forums.

Welcome.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-12, 09:04 AM
Read the comic instead! :smallbiggrin:

Yes! You must read the comic!

JonestheSpy
2011-04-12, 11:51 AM
A dream to some...a nightmare to others!

Just rewatched Excalibur. Gods, I love that film.

Lemunde
2011-04-12, 12:00 PM
The Bethsoft forums? Bunch a losers over there if you ask me. With their Oblivions and their Morrowinds and house mods and weapon mods and hours upon hours of exploring the massive lands of Cyrodiil until I look up and see dawn breaking outside... Um... anyways.

Radar
2011-04-12, 01:10 PM
A dream to some...a nightmare to others!

Just rewatched Excalibur. Gods, I love that film.
Each fantasy is underpinned with horror. (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004748)
(warning: this animation contains flashy and blinking color patterns)

Tyndmyr
2011-04-12, 04:22 PM
Note that while D&D is the most widespread system to be discussed, I'd still not call it a proper D&D forum. We have a pretty strong Exalted community, and any other system you'd wish to talk about is just fine.

That's not even touching the homebrew, webcomic and assorted media forums.

Welcome.

I consider all of the above a plus.

Also..dark side of the forums? Maryland gamers? Ah, so that's why I felt like I was being summoned.

Starwulf
2011-04-12, 08:19 PM
I consider all of the above a plus.

Also..dark side of the forums? Maryland gamers? Ah, so that's why I felt like I was being summoned.

Oooh, fellow marylander! So they exist! Course, you probably live in eastern maryland in/near larger population centers. I'm in Western maryland, virtually mountain maryland(considering I live on top of one).

lol@Lemunde! These forums rock eh man?

@Weimann: I've started to notice that there are ALL types of gaming going on here. I was reading through someones Diablo 2 play by play game yesterday! I was just "whoa, now i've seen everything". I still contend this place is a dream-like fantasy land, especially for someone who has had to suppress their inner-nerd for the last decade and a half.

Doc Roc
2011-04-12, 11:11 PM
Oooh, fellow marylander! So they exist! Course, you probably live in eastern maryland in/near larger population centers. I'm in Western maryland, virtually mountain maryland(considering I live on top of one).

lol@Lemunde! These forums rock eh man?

@Weimann: I've started to notice that there are ALL types of gaming going on here. I was reading through someones Diablo 2 play by play game yesterday! I was just "whoa, now i've seen everything". I still contend this place is a dream-like fantasy land, especially for someone who has had to suppress their inner-nerd for the last decade and a half.

Don't worry. The next generation will be able to be proud. :)

Starwulf
2011-04-13, 02:26 AM
Don't worry. The next generation will be able to be proud. :)

Damn straight. I've already got both of my daughters(7 and 3) hooked on video gaming already(though, I will say, I am a responsible parent and make sure they have plenty of outside time as well, and will continue to encourage that as they grow older). Once they get older, I might buy a D&D Set and introduce them to Pen and Paper RPGing.

dsmiles
2011-04-13, 04:53 AM
Damn straight. I've already got both of my daughters(7 and 3) hooked on video gaming already(though, I will say, I am a responsible parent and make sure they have plenty of outside time as well, and will continue to encourage that as they grow older). Once they get older, I might buy a D&D Set and introduce them to Pen and Paper RPGing.
I'll tell you what. I got my kids into DnD last summer. Ages (at the time) 11, 10, 9, and 5. My youngest son is getting started a full two years earlier than I did. I was so proud of my little nerdlings. :smallwink:

Teln
2011-04-13, 10:04 AM
So this is the Maryland get-together thread, eh? I'm in Prince George's County, and I've been on a lack-of-group induced hiatus for over a year, now. (If it can really be called a hiatus after only one campaign in my entire career so far.)

Starwulf
2011-04-13, 02:25 PM
So this is the Maryland get-together thread, eh? I'm in Prince George's County, and I've been on a lack-of-group induced hiatus for over a year, now. (If it can really be called a hiatus after only one campaign in my entire career so far.)

Prince Georges, that's not to far away, I'm in Washington County myself.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-13, 02:37 PM

Anne Arundel county, so yeah.

'bout halfway between DC and baltimore, for the non-MD types. There's a swarm of roleplayers in this area, rather nice. I grew up in the Minnesotan woods, so the change is extremely welcome.

No younglings myself, but my friends with offspring have taught theirs well. Some of em have been rolling up chars since shortly after learning to read.

Teln, look up The Family Game Store. They're probably not a ridiculous drive from you, and they've got a coupla pathfinder groups over there...used to play in one of them until life got too busy. Low op groups, but some good people there. Also, they have the only 4e groups I know of in the area, if that's your speed.

There's probably also some groups over at college park with the usual college crowd, for that end of PG county, but I'm less familiar with the game shops thataway.

Koury
2011-04-13, 04:56 PM
I was reading through someones Diablo 2 play by play game yesterday!

You're not by chance refering to the one I'm involved with, are you? DMd by Ernir?

I mean, I'm not exactly sure how many D2 PbP games are going on right now so you probably are, but still. Weird to see it mentioned outside of the IC and OOC thread. :smallsmile:

dsmiles
2011-04-13, 06:01 PM
I'm in Prince George's County,

Anne Arundel county, so yeah.

:smallfrown:

Why does everyone live in Maryland? NVA is so sparsely populated by gamers it makes me die a little inside every time I think about it.

Starwulf
2011-04-13, 06:57 PM
You're not by chance refering to the one I'm involved with, are you? DMd by Ernir?

I mean, I'm not exactly sure how many D2 PbP games are going on right now so you probably are, but still. Weird to see it mentioned outside of the IC and OOC thread. :smallsmile:

Indeed I am! Lol, I first saw the Forgotten Tower campaign, realized that you probably had done others, searched it, I'm currently about halfway through the Den of Evil campaign and loving it ^^ I played D2 for about 4 years straight(by straight, I mean like 6+ hours a day, every day) and then off and on for another 3. hell I actually just made a sorc about 8 months ago, though I only played her for about 3 months before I got bored, lol.

Enrir seems to be a fantastic DM, and you guys role-play very well. I'm sure I'll end up reading through all your campaigns ^^

to the Fellow Marylanders, must be nice to have any place at all nearby ^^. I live 8 miles outside of Hancock(population: 1700) on top of a mountain, and I don't know ANYONE within a 30 mile distance that plays D&D. Really, it's the only reason I had to give up/suppress my D&D/Inner Nerd urges for so long, lol.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-14, 02:20 PM
Then welcome back into the fold, brother. D&D has been waiting for you.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-14, 02:23 PM
READ THE COMIC!!! I can't stress this enough.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-14, 02:29 PM
:smallfrown:

Why does everyone live in Maryland? NVA is so sparsely populated by gamers it makes me die a little inside every time I think about it.

Eh, it's not so bad. It's still populated, which means there's at least people that can be converted to gamers. That said, a lot of gamers from VA drive into MD to play. My 7th Sea Group (http://7thseanova.informe.com/forum/), while technically a "northern virginia" group, plays at a location in MD, with a fair amount of people who are actually marylanders. Go figure.

Hancock's kinda out there. Hagerstown, perhaps? There's gotta be gamers in Fredrick or Gaithersburg. I used to do theater out that way, and the geek is strong in that area, even if it isn't terribly noticeable on the surface.

Toofey
2011-04-14, 03:28 PM
If you haven't yet, check out the webcomic. it's pretty great.

Koury
2011-04-14, 03:33 PM
Guys, I think he understands there is a comic here and that its good. :smallwink:

Starwulf
2011-04-14, 04:37 PM
Eh, it's not so bad. It's still populated, which means there's at least people that can be converted to gamers. That said, a lot of gamers from VA drive into MD to play. My 7th Sea Group (http://7thseanova.informe.com/forum/), while technically a "northern virginia" group, plays at a location in MD, with a fair amount of people who are actually marylanders. Go figure.

Hancock's kinda out there. Hagerstown, perhaps? There's gotta be gamers in Fredrick or Gaithersburg. I used to do theater out that way, and the geek is strong in that area, even if it isn't terribly noticeable on the surface.

I've tried Hagerstown and Cumberland, though admittedly It's been a while since I've really searched(a few years I'd say), I'll have to look again to see if any of the culture has sprouted up in other area. I've never even tried Frederick, never really thought to go an hour and a half out of my way(since I live on the other side of Hancock).

Teln
2011-04-17, 07:26 PM
Teln, look up The Family Game Store. They're probably not a ridiculous drive from you, and they've got a coupla pathfinder groups over there...used to play in one of them until life got too busy. Low op groups, but some good people there. Also, they have the only 4e groups I know of in the area, if that's your speed.

There's probably also some groups over at college park with the usual college crowd, for that end of PG county, but I'm less familiar with the game shops thataway.

Hey, thanks! Between this and the Games Workshop Battle Bunker opening up in Bowie next month, my gaming future looks pretty sweet.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-17, 07:34 PM
That's rough, Starwulf...hopefully some more have appeared since you last checked I guess...it can be a bit rough at times. I know my pool of available gamers was pretty limited when I lived in the north end of minnesota for a while.

Hey, thanks! Between this and the Games Workshop Battle Bunker opening up in Bowie next month, my gaming future looks pretty sweet.

NP. I used to do the whole GW scene for quite a while...I've still got the better part of a blood angels army I think. Not company, whole army. Used to live a few minutes from them when the bunker was in glen burnie, but fell out of it when I moved. There's a pretty solid game shop in glen burnie, too, but that's probably a further drive for you.