PDA

View Full Version : Which powerful effects did you actually use Wish and Miracle for?

Hyperion
2011-04-11, 07:14 PM
I know everybody always think of the horrible consequences that would come up from using the more powerful effects of those Wish, Miracle, Reality revision etc... I rarely actually see a thread of people who did use those powerful effects. How did it go? was it what you expected? did it help you get out of an otherwise impossible situation? did it doom you and your party?

TheCoelacanth
2011-04-11, 07:31 PM
Only Wish has the clause about horrible consequences. Miracle has the downside of not being able to do anything that doesn't fit your deity's alignment.

dsmiles
2011-04-11, 07:33 PM
I killed somebody with wish once. It was the only way (at the time) to save the party.

Jarian
2011-04-11, 07:34 PM
I once dominated mindraped a wizard and had him wish for his beatstick friend to die. It worked, and there was much rejoicing.

That's about the only time I've ever actually used it, though, and it wasn't me so much as the DM.

Sacrieur
2011-04-11, 07:48 PM
My party once used a wish spell to get out of a forcecage. Twas epic.

Glimbur
2011-04-11, 07:50 PM
With a Miracle I moved our party from hanging out in space and being shot with Flux Slime to the inside of the turtle-ship thing. Epic gets weird.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-11, 08:46 PM
With a Miracle I moved our party from hanging out in space and being shot with Flux Slime to the inside of the turtle-ship thing. Epic gets weird.

I had merely assumed you were involved in a Forgotten Realms game.

Xetheral
2011-04-11, 10:38 PM
I had a party use Miracle to ask for a small non-magical airship. With the help of antimagic field they used it to float safely away from a dimension-locked infernal fortress at the top of a mountain on Avernus.

Otherwise I've only seen Miracle used in emergencies to duplicate lower-level spells.

Gullintanni
2011-04-12, 09:22 AM
Generally speaking, all I've ever used Miracle for was to duplicate lower level spells. It's main benefit is that it's about as powerful as Wish (except where there's a direct conflict with your deities alignment) except that the majority of the functions you'd need it for throughout the average adventure don't cost any XP.

IMO, that's the most powerful effect of Miracle. It's the most versatile spell in the game.

Talakeal
2011-04-12, 02:48 PM
One time a player wished for the most powerful sword in the entire world. Of course, this was with a DM who twists even the most basic sample wishes listed in the PHB, so we were all very surprised when the wish was granted as asked and he was given the most powerful sword in the world.
Of course, when he tried using the sword he found out that he didn't have the divine rank neccesary to wield it, and there were some pretty bad consequences for trying.

Re'ozul
2011-04-12, 03:39 PM
So in effect this?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110202173910/goblinscomic/images/f/f0/MazeOfManyEntrance.jpg

Kurald Galain
2011-04-12, 03:44 PM
Bypassing the entire adventure.

One of the worse DMs I've ever played with had us go on a lengthy cross-planar trek to find a mythical lost flying ship. The party ranged from level 4 to 10 or so. One of the earlier combats was against an efreet, and when we beat it, it surrendered and got a free wish. We spent a few minutes working out the exact wording, and then we wished to be teleported to the deck of said ship, wholly and safe. Cue one embarrassed DM and a premature end to the campaign.

Douglas
2011-04-12, 04:08 PM
I wasn't there to see this one happen, but my old DM likes to tell about it.

The party was trying to meet with some religious leader or group, or some faction within a city (I'm not clear on the details), and various mistakes and misunderstandings led to them fighting the guards and outlying forces of the people they wanted to ally with. So, the entire group goes off away from the DM into a tight group huddle, not letting the DM see or hear what they're talking about, and then they come back with a sheet of paper covered with a carefully worded essay and tell him they're Wishing for what they wrote on the paper. He read it over for several minutes (it was apparently rather lengthy and complex), thought about it, and then declared he was ready to resolve the Wish. The PCs found themselves splashing into a pool (or something) right in front of the major religious leader they wanted to ally with, moments after said leader had completed a prayer to his/her god asking for aid. Soon after, there was a great commotion heard coming from outside the temple as the pre-time-travel PCs went battling their way past. They managed to leverage the Wish-timed arrival into the alliance they were trying for eventually, but it took some work.