PDA

View Full Version : Vindicare Assassin in d20 (Warhammer 40k)

DrewVolker
2011-04-11, 07:25 PM
Hey, I was just reading my shiny new grey knights codex, and the assassins entry got me thinking. I wonder how a Vindicare Assassin would play out in a d20 game. I know they have rules for them in Dark Heresy, but I would like to try to make rules for them in the d20 system.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, you can google "Vindicare Assassin" and go to their lexincanum (the warhammer wiki) page. I would post the link, but not sure if I can or not.

Anyway, I basicly have two ideas at this point.
One - Make it a template (would have one hell of a La), but it would be nice and simple.
Two - Make it a prestige class, 5 or 10 levels that gives all the features a imperial/vindicare assassin should have.

Also, I need to make rules for the vindicares signiture equipment, mainly their exitus rifle and pistol, their spy mask/stealth suit, and rules for the special ammo they use with the rifle/pistol.

Any 40k fans out there that wanna help me make this a reality?

Dead_Jester
2011-04-11, 07:42 PM
First of all, what d20 system are you using?

If it's d20 modern, than vindicare are definately fast heroes, and could be an advanced class based on sniping stuff. The wargear could just be gear that is ridiculously hard to obtain.

For d&d, than it's better as a Prc, with probably some rogue-ish and martial prerequisites.

As for the actual physical enhancement assassins get, you could include them progressively in the class abilities.

DrewVolker
2011-04-11, 09:58 PM
They way I think of the d20 system is just a set of rules, not the specific games like dnd or d20 modern.

But I guess I am building this for more of the dnd ruleset, not the d20 modern.

So I am going to make it a prestige class like you said, I just need to deside if I want to make it 5 or 10 levels (ideas?).

As for the equipment, I can probly to a pretty good conversion of the spy mask/stealth suit, my only problem would be the rifle and pistol, I am just not sure how to convert the sheer lethality of exitus weapons into d20.

Any ideas?

jiriku
2011-04-11, 10:07 PM
Since the path of the Vindicare assassin demands total commitment, and since the Vindicare are pretty well-rounded in terms of having offensive, defensive, and utility abilities, you're probably looking at a 10-level class -- assuming you can think of enough features to fill it. Don't be afraid to make it shorter if you think you can do it in fewer levels.

Check the futuristic weapons on page 146 of the DMG as a starting point for your weapons. You can probably just use those numbers right off the shelf. Remember, in D&D, "amazing masterwork quality" translates to "+1 to hit". Most of what you might perceive as ZOMGExitus! is probably better modeled as class features of the assassin that are usable with any ranged weapon.

DrewVolker
2011-04-11, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the input, I think 10 levels sounds right. I will try to come up with something that fits.

But as for the weapons, its not just the fact that exitus weapons are well crafter that makes them deadly, their normal ammo still is very deadly (in dark heresy is 2d10+2, pen 9).

But since d20 uses a diffrent hp system, mabye somthing along the lines of 2d10 damage.

Then the special ammo can change that.

How does that sound?

jiriku
2011-04-11, 10:31 PM
2d10 is good (like a hunting rifle), although since the Exitus is described as a high-powered weapon, you might want to go with 3d8 (like a laser rifle). The average damage is modestly higher (13.5 vs. 11), and the results will be more consistent, since you're rolling three dice instead of two. I imagine a more consistent weapon is better for a sniper. If you take the shot, you need to score a kill, not give the target a minor flesh wound due to a bad die roll and give him the opportunity to escape for good now that you've revealed your presence.

The assassin PrC is your go-to resource for reference on a project like this, but don't be afraid to make something better than the assassin - it's not a very strong prestige class.