PDA

View Full Version : Fairy-Kin Template [3.5] (PEACH)

Mr.Bookworm
2011-04-11, 09:44 PM
The following template came about as a direct result of a game I'm in, so a bit of background. Last session, we were investigating a cottage looking for a cure for another character's lycanthropy. Long story short, there was an Artifact o' Doom in the form of a giant glowing crystal in the middle of the cottage causing a wild magic zone. I was a Gnome Warlock, so as you might imagine this was slightly problematic for me. And then I kicked the crystal.

Yeah, that wasn't smart. So long story short again, our DM rolled, and the table he had said something along the lines of "major change to the character". So he ad-libbed it at the time and turned me into a smurf with wires growing out of my back that let me fly. Now that we're out of the session, though, he whipped out this template, I edited it to make it all shiny and presentable, and we're reposting it here to get second opinions.

CREATING A FAIRY-KIN
"Fairy-kin" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid creature, hereafter referred to as the base creature.
Size and Type: The creature's type changes to Fey, and it's size is reduced by one category. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves
Speed: It's base land speed increases by 1 1/2, and it gains a fly speed of double it's base land speed with perfect maneuverability.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1. This stacks with any natural armor bonus the creature already has.
Special Qualities: A Fairy-Kin retains the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following.

Powerful Build: Whenever a Fairy-Kin is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Fairy-Kin is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A Fairy-Kin is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Fairy-Kin can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Low-light vision
DR 10/cold iron, magic, or lawful
Spell resistance equal to (5+1/2 HD)
Dodge as a bonus feat
(Subtype) Affinity: You are treated as a member of your former humanoid race whenever doing so would be beneficial to you.
You gain the following spell-like abilities:

At-will - Pyrotechnics, ventriloquism, (one cantrip of player's choice), detect chaos, law, good, and evil

3/day - [i]Charm animal, entangle, faerie fire

1/day - Lesser confusion, deep slumber, dispel magic, wood shape

1/week - Continual flame, permanent image (visual/auditory component only)

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows - Dex +4, Cha +4, Int +2, Wis +2
Skills: Fairy-Kin gain a +4 racial bonus to Craft (Woodworking), Hide, and Move Silently checks, and a +2 racial bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
LA: +4

Lord Vampyre
2011-04-12, 12:16 PM
First, the trait Powerful-Build doesn't seem to fit the concept of a Fairy-Kin, especially one that is able to fly.

Second, the DR should have only one trait after it. Giving it so many flaws makes it nearly worthless. Now, if the DM wants to make it easy to bypass, he should make it simply DR 10/magic, as magic is one of the more common weapon qualities. At most, there should only be two traits that can bypass the DR rating.

Third, SR is typically 10 + level, anything else is a waste of time. Since SR is directly challenged by caster level, SR 5 + 1/2 lvl gives you a SR rating of 15 at 20th level. This will make it easy for casters to bypass your SR rating.

Fourth, I would advise making the speed adjustment a flat +10 vs the 1.5 times the base, with the fly speed double the land speed. Otherwise the template becomes more advantageous for races with a higher base move.

Finally, I'm not sure that the template is really worth a +4 LA. This means you won't be going up a level for quite awhile, losing out on the various class features; and skill, hit point, save, and base attack increases that you would normally get. As a warlock, this will affect you less than if you were a full caster. I would have to see something truly spectacular to justify a +4 LA; and I'm just not getting that with this template.

However, balancing it off the Lich, Half-Fiend, and Half-Celestial templates, it probably is worth a +4 LA, if you made the various changes I've suggested above. Otherwise, I'd give it a +3 LA.