PDA

View Full Version : Is overlord worth it?

thorgrim29
2011-04-11, 11:32 PM
The title says it all basically, how good are the Overlord games? Are they worth the 20 bucks for the complete pack, is Overlord 2 different enough that I shouldn't bother with the first one? Etc....

So, what are your impressions of the games.

chiasaur11
2011-04-11, 11:38 PM
The title says it all basically, how good are the Overlord games? Are they worth the 20 bucks for the complete pack, is Overlord 2 different enough that I shouldn't bother with the first one? Etc....

That they go on sale often enough on Steam to wait a bit?

Cheesegear
2011-04-11, 11:41 PM

I actually really liked the original Overlord. A fairly unique style of gameplay and some very funny parts. The only downside was that the moral choices boil down to 'save everyone' and 'kill everyone'. Most games tend to have a third 'neutral' option, but I don't remember Overlord having one.

Overlord II, well, was just more of the same. Which isn't a bad thing, mind. If you like Overlord, you're probably either going to like the sequel or find it boring. I liked it.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-04-11, 11:51 PM
I actually really liked the original Overlord. A fairly unique style of gameplay and some very funny parts. The only downside was that the moral choices boil down to 'save everyone' and 'kill everyone'. Most games tend to have a third 'neutral' option, but I don't remember Overlord having one.

Overlord II, well, was just more of the same. Which isn't a bad thing, mind. If you like Overlord, you're probably either going to like the sequel or find it boring. I liked it.

It wasn't even 'save everyone' really, but 'control everyone'. LE vs. CE in a sense. I thought they were pretty good buys, and I think Overlord was superior to Overlord 2, if only because seeing the twisted 'Heroes' was actually...rather well done.

Mikeavelli
2011-04-12, 12:05 AM
Overlord 1 was, in my opinion, actually a better game than Overlord 2. It has a better story, better bosses, more interesting overall. Overlord 2 has an awful lot of sequences that are more annoying than challenging.

thorgrim29
2011-04-12, 12:09 AM
so... starting to look like the complete pack, it's pretty much what I was figuring, but I wanted to see if a lot of people would pop in saying they're terrible or that 1 is unplayable after playing 2 (kinda like mass effect).

Trazoi
2011-04-12, 01:19 AM
Heh, I'm actually in the process of playing Overlord 2 for the first time (near the end at the moment). I think I too enjoyed the first one slightly more due to the themes behind the fallen hero bosses, and because the second is more of the same. But they're both quite fun.

Coidzor
2011-04-12, 01:29 AM

20 bucks for both? Yeah, I'd say so.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-12, 08:34 AM
Overlord 1 had the better story, hands down.

Overlord 2 has the better "Control vs Destruction" morality involved. I disliked the whole "noble demon" part of the 1st game, and Overlord 2 really made it cooler..

Also, I think Overlord 2's gameplay is more interesting. More tactical ennemies, the Possess mechanic is fun, the spells are also a tad more intuitive... once you figured them out.

There is something just bloody cool to charge into a cohort of legionnaries with your minion, and using spells to break their formation so you can cut them apiece. The 1st game offered nothing of the like.

Aron Times
2011-04-12, 04:00 PM
You need to SPAWN MOAR OVERLORDS if you want more units.

Oh, wrong game... Nevermind... :smallbiggrin:

Drfaust
2011-04-13, 09:33 AM
Overlord 1 was far better than 2. However I personally thought they both had incredibly shoddy mechanics. I did not enjoy either one and wouldn't say they are worth it.

Zeful
2011-04-13, 09:54 AM
so... starting to look like the complete pack, it's pretty much what I was figuring, but I wanted to see if a lot of people would pop in saying they're terrible or that 1 is unplayable after playing 2 (kinda like mass effect).

Wait, what? How is Mass Effect 1 considered unplayable after the travesty that is ME2? The core gameplay didn't change (it's still a shooter afterall) but the all the background choices were horrifically dumbed down for some unfathomable reason.

Traab
2011-04-13, 10:11 AM
I liked overlord 1. In fact, I still have it. There is some frustration from time to time with controlling your minions properly, and making them go where you want. Sometimes they would get hung up on terrain, or you just couldnt manage to get your green minions to get behind the damn troll, or whatever. But its REALLY funny to forge your new weapon and watch 600 minions jump into the crucible with glee. lol

Trekkin
2011-04-14, 05:33 PM
Overlord 1 and 2 always came across more as two different stories applied to the same mechanics than anything else, at least to me. One's story appealed to me more, since it was less clear-cut who was in the right; Two presented clear villains, which kind of blunted the impact of the Overlord's evil. I always felt like he was Overlording behind the bleachers after class as a way of shocking his overly stern parents.

The story aside (and it can be put aside in favor of just mindless, destructive rampages) they're sufficiently different in their implementations to be fun individually, and if you enjoy RTSes in the style of Pikmin they're entertaining and probably worth $20.