PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Books Expand the Duskblade or Beguiler Spell Lists?

Allanimal
2011-04-12, 06:50 AM
The Beguiler and Duskblade from the PHB2 don't get mentioned in many books. Are there any official sources that expand their spell lists?

Cartigan
2011-04-12, 08:17 AM
The Beguiler and Duskblade from the PHB2 don't get mentioned in many books. Are there any official sources that expand their spell lists?
New caster classes, or classes with new mechanics, didn't get supported at all unless by happy accident that they only use the basic Cleric or Wizard spell list.
That's a major source of D&D's problems.

Particle_Man
2011-04-12, 08:37 AM
I think that Spell Compendium has something in the beginning of the book that offers some guidelines for "Trading out" spells, with the caveat that the spell lists are designed to be narrow in focus. It doesn't mention your two classes by name, but perhaps similar guidelines would apply.

Diarmuid
2011-04-12, 08:39 AM
Short answer, No. PHB2 was one of the last 3.5 books to come out, so there werent any other books made to expand on those class's spell lists.

Allanimal
2011-04-12, 09:58 AM
Short answer, No. PHB2 was one of the last 3.5 books to come out, so there werent any other books made to expand on those class's spell lists.

That's what I was afraid of...

Cartigan
2011-04-12, 10:03 AM
That's what I was afraid of...

Not that the chance of them getting new spells or anything in any other book was above zero or anything.

Diarmuid
2011-04-12, 10:39 AM
I dont know about that, Complete Mage added new Hexblade and Wu Gen spells. No reason to assume some new "Complete" book wouldnt/couldnt have had new Duskblade or Beguiler spells.

Darrin
2011-04-12, 11:37 AM

Forge of War added two spells to the Duskblade list (swift ready and fracturing weapon), but that's it.

Cartigan
2011-04-12, 11:44 AM
I dont know about that, Complete Mage added new Hexblade and Wu Gen spells. No reason to assume some new "Complete" book wouldnt/couldnt have had new Duskblade or Beguiler spells.

The Completes occasionally tried to complement each other but that doesn't mean they are going to try to support something that isn't Complete or core.

Nebraska Tim
2011-04-12, 05:54 PM
I think that Spell Compendium has something in the beginning of the book that offers some guidelines for "Trading out" spells, with the caveat that the spell lists are designed to be narrow in focus. It doesn't mention your two classes by name, but perhaps similar guidelines would apply.

The Beguiler casts in a manner identical to the Warmage, which is listed in the opening section of the Spell Compendium. To quote:

Expanding the warmage spell list isn’t recommended. The warmage has a limited list of spells to balance its power and adding spells might tip that balance. If you’d like to add to the list anyway, try replacing access to spells rather than simply giving the warmage a wider range of spells to choose from. Of course, when a warmage gains the advanced learning class feature, the evocation spells in this book offer many options.

faceroll
2011-04-12, 06:00 PM
If you are looking to expand the Beguiler's list, Arcane Disciple is pretty good. From C.Div., adds the 9 spells of a domain to his spell list. Requires you to have good wisdom, though.

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 06:00 PM
Forge of War added two spells to the Duskblade list (swift ready and fracturing weapon), but that's it.

Darn I was going to say that one:smallsmile:.

Cruiser1
2011-04-12, 06:24 PM
If you are looking to expand the Beguiler's list, Arcane Disciple is pretty good. From C.Div., adds the 9 spells of a domain to his spell list. Requires you to have good wisdom, though.If you really want to expand the Beguiler spell list and you have access to Complete Divine, take 10 levels of Rainbow Servant. :smallbiggrin: Now you can spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list. Beguiler + Rainbow Servant (Enchantment + Cleric) is as good as Warmage + Rainbow Servant (Evocation + Cleric).

faceroll
2011-04-12, 06:41 PM
If you really want to expand the Beguiler spell list and you have access to Complete Divine, take 10 levels of Rainbow Servant. :smallbiggrin: Now you can spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list. Beguiler + Rainbow Servant (Enchantment + Cleric) is as good as Warmage + Rainbow Servant (Evocation + Cleric).

And lose out on all those skills....

The Cat Goddess
2011-04-12, 07:32 PM
You can find one person's ideas for Duskblade here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2416523#post2416523

Thurbane
2011-04-12, 08:04 PM
IMHO, expanding the Duskblade's list is a lot more balanced than adding to the Beguiler list, since the Duskblade still has to spend his precious Spells Known to get them...

FWIW, I think the Beguiler list is almost already in the "too good" category - certainly, better than the Dread Necro's, and head and shoulders above the poor Warmage's.

Cruiser1
2011-04-12, 08:08 PM
And lose out on all those skills....Bah, who needs skill points when you've got Tier 1 casting! :smallwink: If you want to be skilled, just cast the 2nd level Cleric spell Divine Insight and get +15 to your next skill check.

MrSinister
2011-04-12, 08:47 PM
I think the Beguiler list is just fine like it is, actually. Come to think of it, there are some spells in there that, to me, make no thematic sense. I'm looking at you, Slow and Haste.

I recently played a Beguiler and really, at low levels it's all about the color spray anyways!

faceroll
2011-04-12, 08:59 PM
There are also Bloodline feats for adding more spells.

Bah, who needs skill points when you've got Tier 1 casting! :smallwink: If you want to be skilled, just cast the 2nd level Cleric spell Divine Insight and get +15 to your next skill check.

The nice thing about skills is that you can do them all day. You've also got to wait until level 12 before you get T1 casting.

If I am playing a beguiler, it's to play a beguiler. It's not to play a weak illusionist for 11 levels before I play a MAD cleric. If I was hybridizing divine/arcane, I'd go MT with early entry shens.

Warsnake is better, imo, because there's no opportunity cost to prestiging out of warmage. If I roll beguiler, it's so I don't have to deal with messy arcane trickster/unseen seer messiness.

Coidzor
2011-04-12, 10:46 PM
IMHO, expanding the Duskblade's list is a lot more balanced than adding to the Beguiler list, since the Duskblade still has to spend his precious Spells Known to get them...

And the base Duskblade list is just horrible. :smallyuk: :smallfrown: