PDA

View Full Version : Good Undead classes?

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 08:51 AM
I am currently taking part in an Undead-only Gestalt pbp campaign, and I've been looking for some good homebrew undead classes.

So far I've decided to use the Awakened Skeleton (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7966879&postcount=55) and Evolved undead (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9511014&postcount=240), and I'm thinking about the Deathknight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9405915&postcount=547), but does anyone know of any other good ones? Preferably fighter/meleer/tank undead classes?

Also: Keep in mind that I don't have any books, so I'm relying totally upon some good homebrews (And SRD).

Edit:

I should probably mention that I'm looking for 3.5ed.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 08:53 AM
That death knight homebrew is awfully constructed and typed. If you fix it up yourself it might be worth using, but as of now it has a requirement predicated on level, which is dumb.

Even the DnD Wiki's Death Knight homebrew is better, and that one too is a horrid mishmash of terribly written ideas.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 08:58 AM
Okay, any other ideas then?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 09:00 AM
I'm not too familiar with the local undead homebrew, so I can't help you there. You could just take that existing death knight class and make it not suck.:smallsmile:

EDIT: Also, sorry for reacting so virulently to that one, it just ticked me off for some reason.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 09:06 AM
Well, this is my first D&D game. Ever. So I don't think I'd be able to fix it.

And don't worry, everyone hass something that annoys them to no end.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 09:07 AM
... your first DnD game is a gimmick game?

Good luck, buddy. I'll see if I can dig up some classes.

Are you allowed to take the vampire template?

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 09:12 AM
It sounded interesting, so I applied for a spot. There wasn’t a I whole lot of others open at the time. Plus, undead have a few newbie-friendly bonuses.

As for the vampire: Maybe, but aren't they more of a spellcaster?

radmelon
2011-04-12, 09:16 AM
Most of the classes from the improved monster classes project should be good.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 09:17 AM
The template gives you Energy Drain and CON Drain in melee, +6 to STR and +4 to DEX, not to mention +6 to natural armor, which adds to whatever you're already wearing as well as a host of really nasty other abilities.

The only problem is the Level Adjustment and weaknesses.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 09:19 AM
Most of the classes from the improved monster classes project should be good.

The problem is that I'm trying to find specific, hit-you-with-a-big-sword ones, and I'm not sure where to start.

The template gives you Energy Drain and CON Drain in melee, +6 to STR and +4 to DEX, not to mention +6 to natural armor, which adds to whatever you're already wearing as well as a host of really nasty other abilities.

The only problem is the Level Adjustment and weaknesses.

Sorry, but I need classes :smallredface:

Re'ozul
2011-04-12, 01:48 PM
Boneshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175802), especially if you have good charisma. It becomes less useful after level 11 (huge form) since huge giants are pretty much the pinnacle of beatdown. (Shadow Giant MMIV takes the cake as far as I know)
Also, the HD border is no problem since it is based on HD not class levels.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 04:00 PM
Boneshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175802), especially if you have good charisma. It becomes less useful after level 11 (huge form) since huge giants are pretty much the pinnacle of beatdown. (Shadow Giant MMIV takes the cake as far as I know)
Also, the HD border is no problem since it is based on HD not class levels.

That could work. Little differn't then what I was looking for, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm willing to settle.

Mayhem
2011-04-12, 04:13 PM
I remade the mohrg, wight, and mummy from libris mortis into 6 level classes that are decent to play if you're interested. They're better to play than the standard ones, though I always up abilities in groups of 2 because it's much less of a book work hassle than a silly +1 bonus.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-12, 05:52 PM
I remade the mohrg, wight, and mummy from libris mortis into 6 level classes that are decent to play if you're interested. They're better to play than the standard ones, though I always up abilities in groups of 2 because it's much less of a book work hassle than a silly +1 bonus.

I can't find the mohrg....

Mayhem
2011-04-14, 06:16 PM
Sorry for forgetting this thread. You're interested in the mohrg? It's not the same as the community-based monster classes, so it might not work for your campaign. I can still send it though if you want

edit: Actually in a gestalt game, my mohrg would be fine.

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-14, 06:23 PM
As you've already chosen a race (awakened skeleton), I'm assuming that you're searching for a class that would suit an undead creature rather than an undead racial class. If that's the case, I created a separate Death Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150006) class that might work for melee (and for getting a small army of undead).

Re'ozul
2011-04-14, 07:47 PM
Previously I mentioned the Boneshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175802) without noticing the Gestalt option in your first post.
One class that synergizes near perfectly with it is The Ebon Initiate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163297).

Mostly due to Unholy Toughness working independant from the Initiates lvl 13 ability to use Charisma instead of Constitution for HP resulting in 1d12+2xCha for HP. The Ashen Blade PrC mentioned in the Initiates description is a viable alternative since it stacks with Initiate levels for this effect. It also stacks with Crusader levels for zealus (whatever it is called). Also, the nether channel ability gives you extra damage on any hit (unless you as undead are fighting more undead, then the class loses some of its luster).

Cidolfas
2011-04-15, 11:45 AM
For the record, I think the D&D's Death Knight (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Death_Knight_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)) may be more suitable than a previous poster gave it credit for (assuming that's the same one mentioned above). What may appear to be a hodge-podge of random things is actually a throwback to the 1e and 2e Death Knights, which did in fact have super-awesome magical powers over fire, ice, death, etc. Anyone who has read Dragonlance just has to remember that Lord Soth was easily one of the most powerful characters in the series to know what I mean. So I consider it a decent option, even if it may be more powerful that what the original poster may be looking for.

The Tome of Necromancy (which can also be found on the previously linked Wiki) did quite a bit towards making templates like the Revenant and Swordwraith LA +0 and thus more practical in an actual game. It could be a good place to look for stuff.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-15, 11:50 AM
Huh. That's not the Death Knight homebrew class I remember. The one I remember had an idiotic "code" thing going for it and some hilarious written abilities that "increase by level". No, that's literally all it said. "Increase by level". My Aura of Fear? "Increases by level".

That one looks a lot more usable.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-15, 12:44 PM
Thanks for your help guys. So far, I've gone with I've gone with D&D's Death Knight/Evolved Undead, but I still need one for the first 5 levels.

Mayhem, if you could post a link to the Mohrg, that would be great :smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-15, 12:55 PM
There's Good undead classes? Sheesh, the state of alignment these days...*grumble grumble*

:smalltongue:

Mayhem
2011-04-15, 04:53 PM
It's a template 'race' and class. Not amazing, but it should be ok for a gestalt. Note that the feat entry on the table isn't a bonus feat- it's the feat that all level 1 characters get, at least that's what my understanding of it is.
Mohrg

What is a mohrg? tldr;Mohrghs are the reanimated remains of the most evil serial killers, and they possess a hatred for all life. Humans are the most likely of the base races to sink to such depravity that they could rise as a mohrg.

racial traits:
+2 str, con -
Speed: same as base race.
Darkvision 60ft
Undead racial traits
{table="head; width = 750"] Level | Hit Die| BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Skills | Special

1 |
1d12 |
+0 | +0 | +0 | +2 |
(4+int)x4 | Feat, slam 1d4 |

2 |
1d12 |
+0 | +0 | +0 | +2 |
- | +2 Dex, +1 natural armor, paralyzing touch 1/day |

3 |
2d12 |
+1 | +0 | +0 | +3 |
4+int | +2 natural armor, +2 str |

4 |
2d12 |
+1 | +0 | +0 | +3 |
- | Feat, paralyzing touch 2/day |

5 |
3d12 |
+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
4+int | +3 natural armor, +2 dex|

6 |
3d12 |
+1 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
- | +2 Str, create spawn, paralysing touch 3/day, improved grab [/table]

Proficiencies: Simple weapons only.
paralyzing touch: A mohrg can make a paralysing touch attack by lashing out with its tongue. Any creature hit by a melee touch attack is paralysed for 1d4+1 rounds. Fort save DC (10+ 1/2 HD + Cha mod)
create spawn: Creatures killed by the mohrg rise as a zombie 1d4 days later. They do not possess any abilities they had in life. A mohrg can control a number of zombies equal to a cleric of its HD. Zombies created in this way count toward a cleric's limit of undead, and any other class limit that can control undead as a cleric.
Improved grab: When a mohrg hits a creature in melee with its slam attack, a mohrg can make a grapple attempt without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-15, 07:56 PM
Thank you :smallsmile: I'm now set to level 15 r 16 so I should be good (Hell, I might even be getting ahead of myself)

Cookies for everyone(Who helped)!

Mayhem
2011-04-15, 08:00 PM
No worries :smallwink:.

You should post your build when you've had it approved, we'd like to hear it.

Blue the Thief
2011-04-15, 08:13 PM
Will do :smallbiggrin:

So far it's looking awesome.