PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania-Based Vampire Hunter class

Dsurion
2011-04-12, 11:56 AM
Why I'm Doing This
I'm going to be running a campaign that is essentially a hack and slash hybrid of Castlevania and Diablo. I've never had had a campaign get above level four before, so I'm trying a fairly simple campaign angle to get off the ground. One of my players expressed interest in playing a character who has the abilities of the stereotypical vampire-hunting Belmont. Since I'm not an experienced DM, or homebrewer, I figure this is a good chance for me to take a crack at both simultaneously.

Goals
Create a class at the tier 3-5 range, 4 being preferable.
Carry the Belmont flavor without getting needlessly complex

Usual abilities/sub-weapons in the Castlevania series:
Daggers - These are typically the weakest of the sub-weapons, but are a thrown weapon that has a high rate of fire
Cross-Boomerang - Exactly as it says, it's a cross that's used as a boomerang. Goes through all enemies it passes and has the potential to hit them on the return. Typically the strongest weapon.
Axe - This weapon is usually thrown overhead, dealing large damage to all enemies within it's arc
Bible - Usually circles the user or attacks all enemies on screen
Holy Water - Area damage that lingers on the ground where it's thrown, causing large-ish holy flames to ignite
Stopwatch - Stops time for most enemies, but only very briefly
Grand Cross - Admittedly, I've only seen this one in Aria of Sorrow, but the user floats into the air and causes a massive dose of holy damage to anyone caught in it's range, sucking them in closer like a gravity effect - it even damages Dracula's castle itself! Not a staple, but too cool to leave out :)

Ideas
- I'm not sure how to limit the abilities used as in the games, which were usually measured in collectible hearts. But I'd really rather not have a violent hobo smashing candles at every opportunity. So I was thinking something like the ki pool mechanic, perhaps recharging fully daily and partially whenever you fell an enemy. And if that's too much, just allow the abilities to be spammed with only minor limitations.
- Daggers could be used as though you had Quick Draw and Flurry of Blows
- I think Eberron has some sort of Drow boomerang of some sort, I'd have to look, but it might be a decent basis for the Cross.
- Axe, I'm not sure what to do with... At all.
- I don't like the idea of an attack that hits everyone you can see for this, so I might want to alter it to a protection from evil ability or something
- Holy Water could be a scaling version of the D&D standard
- I'm not fond of the stopwatch, and the only thing I can think of to match to it is the Time Stop spell, which I like even less. Maybe a stun effect or something, but overall something I'm not likely to worry about if it doesn't get attention
- Grand Cross seems like a cool capstone, but I don't even know where to begin translating it
- All of those abilities would scale with level

- Full BAB
- Either d8 or d10 HD
- Good Ref and Will saves, poor Fort save

Reasons I'm Not Using Other Classes
I'm aware that most of this could probably be duplicated by making a cleric and carrying a full arsenal of weapons around. But where's the fun in that? :)

Why Not a Prestige Class?
Honestly, this is an idea that most likely should be a divine caster prestige class, especially because it's so focused on it's particular schtick, but I really just don't like them. I prefer simply making a new base class. I suppose this could eventually become a prestige class, but I'd really rather not.

Down to Business
I really have no idea what I'm doing here, and I don't really have even basic chassis to work with. Would someone like to help me build this class?

Note: I'm posting this right as I'm about to go to bed, so it may be jumbled and non-sensible. I'll get to fixing and adding tables later.

Hit Die: d10
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope, Use Magic Device

Table: The Vampire Hunter
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|Die Monster!, Heart Points, Subweapon (Dagger)

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Subweapon (Axe), Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Subweapon (Holy Water), Magic Feather

4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|Subweapon (Cross-Boomerang), Vampire Countertactics

5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|Backdash, Power Slide

6th|+6|+2|+5|+5|Vampire Countertactics

7th|+7|+2|+5|+5|Light of Day, Double Shot

8th|+8|+2|+6|+6|Subweapon (Stopwatch)

9th|+9|+3|+6|+6|Vampire Countertactics

10th|+10|+3|+7|+7|

11th|+11|+3|+7|+7|You Don't Belong In This World

12th|+12|+4|+8|+8|Vampire Countertactics

13th|+13|+4|+8|+8|Indomitable Mind

14th|+14|+4|+9|+9|Triple Shot

15th|+15|+5|+9|+9|

16th|+16|+5|+10|+10|

17th|+17|+5|+10|+10|

18th|+18|+6|+11|+11|

19th|+19|+6|+11|+11|

20th|+20|+6|+12|+12|

[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Vampire hunters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as the Whip and Spiked Chain. Vampire Hunters are also proficient with light and medium armors, as well as shields, but not tower shields.

Die Monster! (Ex): At 1st level, You gain +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against undead. Likewise, you gain a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the bonus against any undead increases by 2.

At 9th level, all bonuses granted by Die Monster! are doubled when used against Vampires.

Heart Points: You use a number of tools and abilities in your fight against your sworn enemy, powered by heart points. You have a maximum number of heart points equal to your Charisma modifier plus your class level. These points replenish fully after 8 hours of rest, and at the rate of one per level for every evil-aligned creature you kill with a melee attack.

Sub-Weapons (Su): You always seem to have the right tool for the job, especially if that tool is incredibly sharp or possibly on fire. You can summon weapons to aid in your fight against evil. These weapons each have separate requirements listed under their entries, and all require a certain expenditure of heart points. Unless otherwise noted, all sub-weapon attacks require a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. In addition, each item summoned is lost at end of turn, whether it was used or not.

Dagger
You summon daggers to his hands as throwing implements. The number of daggers gained is equal to two times the number of attacks you are entitled to due to his base attack bonus, and deal d4 damage per two class levels. These attacks are made at a -2 penalty, and require a dagger in your possession for this ability to be used (though it is not required that this dagger be thrown). If the your dagger is made of silver or cold iron, you may choose to have the summoned weapons count as being made of these materials for this attack. This action costs 1 heart point.

Axe
You summon an axe to hurl at foes. Treat this as a battleaxe with a range increment of 10 feet that deals d10 damage per two class levels. If the attack hits, it counts as a bull rush attempt, with your attack roll replacing a strength check. This ability requires either a handaxe or battleaxe in your possession for this ability to be used (though it is not required that this axe be thrown). If your axe is made of silver or cold iron, you may choose to have the summoned weapons count as being made of these materials for this attack. This action costs 1 heart point.

Holy Water
You summon a vial of Holy Water to toss at the ground. This functions exactly like standard holy water, except that, once thrown, it ignites the affected squares in holy fire for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier. The damage is equal to 2d6 per round per two class levels. Despite the description, this is not fire, nor does it count as fire for the purposes of damage reduction, nor does it harm creatures that are neither undead nor evil outsiders. This action requires a vial of holy water in your possession (though it is not required that this vial be used), and costs 2 heart points. You may choose to expend additional heart points when using this ability. For every two points spent this way, increase the splash weapon's radius by 5 feet.

Cross-Boomerang
You throw a returning holy symbol at foes. Treat this as a boomerang dealing d10 damage per two class levels. Whether the attack hits or not, you may make a second attack roll against the same enemy using this subweapon in the same round. [Still working on this one]

Stopwatch
You halt all enemies within a short distance temporarily. All enemies within close range must roll a Will save (equal to 10 + half your Vampire Hunter class level + Cha mod) or be stunned for a round. Even if the enemy passes this Will save, they must pass another Will save or be slowed for a round.

Grand Cross
[Still working on this one]

Magic Feather: The magic was inside you all along. All of your attacks are treated as magical.

Vampire Countertactics: At 4th level, 6th level, 9th level, and 12th level, you learn to fight vampire with vampire. Each time you get this ability you pick one of the following countermeasures to common vampire tactics.

• Holy Presence: As a Vampire Hunter, you've probably worn a lot of garlic. You probably smell like it, too. You are treated as though keeping a vampire at bay as a free action.

• Intimidate Swarm: By making a DC 20 Intimidate check as a standard action you can frighten away a rat swarm, a bat swarm, or a single mundane wolf, who scampers away in fright never to be heard from again.

• Poison Blood: By drinking a special concoction every morning you can make your blood poisonous to creatures of darkness. You can share this effect with as many people as you like. Each daily dose requires 1 copper piece worth of materials and lasts for 24 hours. During that time any creature that drains your blood loses as many hit points as they would have gained and are confused for one round (even if they're normally immune to mind-effecting things like confusion).

• Show Thy True Form!: Whenever you deal damage to a shapeshifted creature they need to make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier) or be forced back into their original shape.

• Slippery Slope: If you use a grease spell with your arcane dilettante class feature (or with any other method for that matter) and target it against a wall, spider climb effects are not able to climb it. In addition, you can pull out flasks that cause a grease effect (caster level equal to your character level) when you use your Deadly Pockets class feature. They cost the same amount as a flask of alchemist's fire.

• Take Back the Night: You can spend six Heart Points to cure a negative level.

• Vapour Tracer: You can use the Track skill to track gaseous and incorporeal creatures. How? Don't ask questions.

Backdash (Ex): You gain expert reflexes in the fight against the spawn of evil. You may expend an immediate action to move straight backwards ten feet. This costs 2 Heart Points.

Power Slide (Ex): After a lifetime of being dragged to the ground by the clutches of evil, you are hardly defenseless on the ground. If you are knocked prone, you may move ten feet in any direction, then immediately stand up. This action consumes your immediate action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Doing so costs 5 Heart Points.

Light of Day (Sp): Light shines out of your every orifice. You may cast Daylight as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to half your Vampire Hunter class level. Doing so consumes 3 heart points.

At 16th level, this spell is the equivalent of daylight for the purposes of creatures that are damaged or destroyed by bright light.

You Don't Belong In This World (Ex): Whenever you strike any undead creature or evil outsider with a melee attack, if that creature has less HD than the your class level, that creature must make a will save equal to 10 + your Vampire Hunter class level + Cha bonus (if positive) or be destroyed outright.

Double Shot (Su): You grow so proficient with sub-weapon attacks that you can attack with multiple simultaneously. Whenever using any subweapon other than the Stopwatch or Grand Cross, you may elect to double the heart point cost of the ability to double the attacks made by any of these subweapons. You may choose new targets for the abilities, or the same target.

Indomitable Mind: You are immune to mind-affecting effects.

Triple Shot (Su):
You grow ever more proficient with his sub-weapon attacks. Whenever using any subweapon other than the Stopwatch or Grand Cross, you may elect to triple the heart point cost of the ability to triple the attacks made by any of these subweapons. You may choose new targets for the abilities, or the same target.

Amnestic
2011-04-12, 04:21 PM
I like this idea, as I intend to run a Castlevania game at some point in the future. On the nature of weapons:

Grand Cross has appeared in two forms over the years (that I know of); the first is much as you described, the second is an explosive blue cross which erupts in Holy Fire on your position, damaging any who come near it. You can see this version in Dawn of Sorrow (DS). If you were to include Grand Cross, I think having both versions might be a good idea; either have the option to choose which to use when utilising it, or have it change once you reach a certain level.

Eg. You get the "Fiery Explosion" Grand Cross at 10th Level, which upgrades to "Z'omg flying crosses everywhere sucking me in arrrrrrrrgh" at 20th for your Capstone.

For the Stopwatch, I'd have it be a large range AoE Hold effect which goes through any possible immunities the enemy might have to it (with a few exceptions, like boss-monsters who generally are immune to stopwatches).

For the Bible weapon, there's two ways I'd go about it: Either a) It hits everyone on a certain distance from you (say, anyone 15' away, but not people 20' or 10') or it circles in ever growing distances. Round 1 it'd be 5' to everyone in front of you, Round 2 it'd be 10' to everyone behind, Round 3 15' in front etc. etc. I think the first option is simpler, both from the describing-ness and from having people maintain it.

On the nature of abilities: A "pool" system probably works best, with some added cooldowns (i.e. Stopwatch only usable once every two encounters or something) and leaving Grand Cross outside of the "pool" so people don't have to worry about it.

At this point you need to make a decision on the pool itself: How does it restore itself? Daily only? Every encounter (a la Factotum)? Daily, but recharges little by little over time? I favour the lattermost option personally. Say...you have a pool of 100(+ChaMod*5?) Hearts (random number) and you restore 5+ChaMod (random stat) every hour, or something.

I dunno, I'm throwing ideas out mostly. I'll be watching this with keen interest though.

Kellus
2011-04-12, 06:17 PM
Vampire Exterminator
"I'm a problem solver. In this case, the problem I'm solving is you."

Some people kill rats. You kill vampires.

Requirements: In order to become a vampire exterminator, you must meet all of the following requirements.
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Special: Favoured enemy (undead), inspiration class feature, opportunistic piety class feature.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
Class Skills: All of them

Table: The Vampire Exterminator

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Extra special enemy, jack of all trades, splash warfare +1d6

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Deadly pockets, opportunistic piety (+1 use)

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Splash warfare +2d6, vampire countertactics

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Cool cross boomerang, undeadly aim

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Splash warfare +3d6, opportunistic piety (+1 use)

6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Vampire countertactics

7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Splash warfare +4d6

8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Opportunistic piety (+1 use), secret voodoo stopwatch technique

9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Splash warfare +5d6, vampire countertactics

10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Grand cross, I kill vampires

[/table]

All of the following are class features of the vampire exterminator prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Vampire hunters gain proficiency with the spiked chain.

Extra Special Enemy (Ex): You're really very very good at killing undead in general and vampires in particular. You add half your class level to the bonuses for your favoured enemy (undead), and against vampires you instead add your full class level.

Jack of All Trades (Ex): Vampire exterminator levels stack with factotum levels to determine your inspiration points per day, and for your effective factotum level when using class features such as Opportunistic Piety and Cunning Knowledge. These levels also stack to determine the number of spells you may prepare with your Arcane Dilettante class feature, and the highest level of spell you can access.

Splash Warfare (Ex): Some people think that using liquid fire and holy water to kill undead is unfair. You think it's efficient. By spending a point of inspiration when you make an attack with a splash weapon you deal an additional +1d6 damage of whatever kind of damage it normally deals. If the splash weapon allows a Reflex save, you add your class level to the DC. Finally, if you miss your target when throwing a splash weapon you never risk hitting yourself with it.

At 3rd level and every 2nd level thereafter, the extra damage increases by +1d6.

Deadly Pockets (Ex): You always seem to have the right tool for the job, especially if that tool is incredibly sharp or possibly on fire. As a move action you can look through your pockets and pull out a dagger (made of iron, cold iron, or silver at your discretion), a flask of holy water, a bottle of acid, or a flask of alchemist's fire that you didn't have before. This requires a point of inspiration and removes half of the item's normal price from your liquid assets. If you don't have enough money to cover it, you can still draw it but must pay back the loan as soon as you come into some money.

If you have the Quick Draw feat, this is a free action.

Opportunistic Piety (Su): At 2nd, 5th, and 8th levels, you gain one additional use of Opportunistic Piety per day.

Vampire Countertactics (Ex): At 3rd level, 6th level, and 9th level you learn to fight vampire with vampire. Each time you get this ability you pick one of the following countermeasures to common vampire tactics.

• Intimidate Swarm: By making a DC 20 Intimidate check as a standard action you can frighten away a rat swarm, a bat swarm, or a single mundane wolf, who scampers away in fright never to be heard from again.

• Magic Feather: The magic was inside you all along. All of your attacks are treated as magical.

• Poison Blood: By drinking a special concoction every morning you can make your blood poisonous to creatures of darkness. You can share this effect with as many people as you like. Each daily dose requires 1 copper piece worth of materials and lasts for 24 hours. During that time any creature that drains your blood loses as many hit points as they would have gained and are confused for one round (even if they're normally immune to mind-effecting things like confusion).

• Show Thy True Form!: Whenever you deal damage to a shapeshifted creature they need to make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier) or be forced back into their original shape.

• Slippery Slope: If you use a grease spell with your arcane dilettante class feature (or with any other method for that matter) and target it against a wall, spider climb effects are not able to climb it. In addition, you can pull out flasks that cause a grease effect (caster level equal to your character level) when you use your Deadly Pockets class feature. They cost the same amount as a flask of alchemist's fire.

• Take Back the Night: You can use a shot of opportunistic piety to cure a negative level.

• Vapour Tracer: You can use the Track skill to track gaseous and incorporeal creatures. How? Don't ask questions.

Cool Cross Boomerang (Ex): Beginning at level 4 you learn a cool technique to use a holy symbol as a thrown weapon. It has a range increment of 20ft., and deals damage as a flaming silver battleaxe of the same size. After throwing it, you can make a DC 10 Sleight of Hand check as a free action to have it come back to you as part of the same action.

Undeadly Aim (Ex): Starting at 4th level you learn the hidden weak points of undead. You can now deal precision-based damage, including critical hits, sneak attack, sudden strike, skirmish, and so on to undead. In addition, the range limit for your ranged sneak attacks is doubled.

This ability also clears up the confusion regarding a factotum's sneak attack damage. If you spend extra points of inspiration you definitely get to deal extra sneak attack damage. That explicit enough for you?

Secret Voodoo Stopwatch Technique (Su): At 8th level you learn a secret art that allows you to freeze your enemies in place while you murderise them. This requires three points of inspiration. As a swift action you can initiate a time stop effect which is a little different than normal. Unlike a normal time stop, your allies (up to five other beings within line of sight of your choice) can act in the time stop, although you need to pay an additional point of inspiration for each one. Secondly, although your allies are under the same limitations as a normal time stop you can deal normal damage to any undead who are frozen during the effect. Such undead are treated as helpless. This can only be used once per encounter.

Grand Cross (Su): At 10th level, you learn how to shoot out an enormous magical cross from your body that burns with holy fury. Why? Don't asky why. By spending a use of opportunistic piety and expending all of your remaining inspiration (minimum 1), you can create a holy cross-shaped flare that covers an area 20ft. wide and 25ft. long directly in front of you, as well as simultaneously directly behind you and at ninety degrees left and right. Any undead caught in the area must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier) or be annihilated. If they manage to survive, they still lose half their current hit points and are stunned for one round. Yes, even though undead can't be stunned.

I Kill Vampires (Su): It's a thing you do. Beginning at 10th level, whenever you deal damage to a vampire, they must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier) or be destroyed forever.

Dsurion
2011-04-13, 03:35 AM
Me blathering on
Kellus, that is an awesome write-up! Some of the wordings and names are great :smallbiggrin: I hope you don't mind if I use it as a springboard for a base class idea.

Specifically, I'd like to see what I can do about stretching it out to twenty levels, adding a few minor abilities to make the difference.

The things I would want to change are more thematic than mechanical:

In a base class, just call them heart points and have a pool like the factotum's inspiration points. Say, 3+level per encounter? It seems kinda dumb to anyone unfamiliar, I'm sure, but I do want to stick as close to material as possible.

In stretching it out, maybe some stuff like added Iron Will and like benefits (I'd say immunity to mind-affecting effects, but Richter majorly dropped the ball on that one), or improved versions of the existing abilities, like the Double/Triple Shot from the first game.

Perhaps Quick Draw should just be a free feat? It would synergize nicely with Deadly Pockets. Speaking of which, is there a way for that to scale? Perhaps the knife ability could be a spell-like version of Cloud of Knives for d4 damage or something. I dunno, I guess costing money does balance the ability, but is there another way to go about it? There may not be, and I'm not trying to deride your excellent work. If that's the best way to go about, that's absolutely fine.

I just thought of something for the Stopwatch. Maybe it could just be a Stun or Slow effect (targeting undead as well, but probably not outsiders) instead of trying to deal with altering Time Stop.

The only other thing... I'd change the "special enemy" name to "Die Monster!" and "I Kill Vampires" to "You Don't Belong In This World" for the infamous quote!

Me getting off my arse and doing things myself
Skill Points per level Level: 6 + Int modifier (x4 at first level)
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope, Use Magic Device

Table: The Vampire Hunter

1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|Die Monster!, Heart Points, Subweapon (Dagger)

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Subweapon (Axe)

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Subweapon (Holy Water)

4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|

5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|

6th|+6|+2|+5|+5|

7th|+7|+2|+5|+5|

8th|+8|+2|+6|+6|

9th|+9|+3|+6|+6|

10th|+10|+3|+7|+7|

11th|+11|+3|+7|+7|

12th|+12|+4|+8|+8|

13th|+13|+4|+8|+8|

14th|+14|+4|+9|+9|

15th|+15|+5|+9|+9|

16th|+16|+5|+10|+10|

17th|+17|+5|+10|+10|

18th|+18|+6|+11|+11|

19th|+19|+6|+11|+11|

20th|+20|+6|+12|+12|

[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Vampire hunters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as the Whip and Spiked Chain. Vampire Hunters are also proficient with light and medium armors, as well as shields, but not tower shields.

Die Monster! (Ex): At 1st level, a Vampire Hunter +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against undead. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the bonus against any undead increases by 2.

At 9th level, all bonuses granted by Die Monster! are doubled when used against Vampires.

Heart Points: The Vampire Hunter uses a number of tools and abilities in his fight against his sworn enemy, powered by heart points. The Vampire Hunter has a maximium number of heart points equal to his Charisma modifier plus his class level. These points replenish fully after 8 hours of rest, and at the rate of one per level for every evil-aligned creature the Vampire Hunter kills with a melee attack.

Sub-Weapons (Su): A Vampire Hunter always seems to have the right tool for the job, especially if that tool is incredibly sharp or possibly on fire. The Vampire Hunter can summon weapons to aid him in his fight against evil. These weapons each have separate requirements listed under their entries, and all require a certain expenditure of heart points. Unless otherwise noted, all sub-weapon attacks require a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. In addition, each item summoned is lost at end of turn, whether it was used or not.

Dagger
The Vampire Hunter summons daggers to his hands as throwing implements. The number of daggers gained is equal to two times the number of attacks he is entitled to due to his base attack bonus, and deal d4 damage per two class levels. These attacks are made at a -2 penalty, and require a dagger in the Vampire Hunter 's possession for this ability to be used (though it is not required that this dagger be thrown). If the Vampire Hunter's dagger is made of silver or cold iron, he may choose to have the summoned weapons count as being made of these materials for this attack. This action costs 1 heart point.

Axe
The Vampire Hunter summons an axe to hurl at his foes. Treat this as a battleaxe with a range increment of 10 feet that deals d10 damage per two class levels. If the attack hits, it counts as a bull rush attempt, with the Vampire Hunter's attack roll replacing a strength check. This ability requires either a handaxe or battleaxe in the Vampire Hunter's possession for this ability to be used (though it is not required that this axe be thrown). If the Vampire Hunter's axe is made of silver or cold iron, he may choose to have the summoned weapons count as being made of these materials for this attack. This action costs 2 heart points.

Holy Water
The Vampire Hunter summons a vial of Holy Water to toss at the ground. This functions exactly like standard holy water, except that, once thrown, it ignites the affected squares in holy fire for a number of rounds equal to the Vampire Hunter's charisma modifier. The damage is equal to 2d6 per round per two class levels. Despite the description, this is not fire, nor does it count as fire for the purposes of damage reduction, nor does it harm creatures that are neither undead nor evil outsiders. This action requires a vial of holy water in the Vampire Hunter's possession, and costs 3 heart points. The Vampire Hunter may choose to expend additional heart points when using this ability. For every two points spent this way, increase the splash weapon's radius by 5 feet.

Cross-Boomerang
The Vampire Hunter may throw a holy symbol at his foes [Still working on this one]

Stopwatch
The Vampire Hunter halts all enemies within a short distance [Still working on this one]

Grand Cross
[Still working on this one]

Backdash (Ex): The Vampire Hunter gains expert reflexes in his fight against the spawn of evil. He may expend an immediate action to move backwards five feet.

You Don't Belong In This World (Ex): Whenever any undead creature or evil outsider is struck by the Vampire Hunter with a melee attack, if that creature has less HD than the Vampire Hunter has class levels, that creature must make a will save equal to the Vampire Hunter's class level + Cha bonus (if positive) or be destroyed outright.

Double Shot (Su):
The Vampire Hunter grows so proficient with his sub-weapon attacks, that he can attack with multiple simultaneously. Whenever using any subweapon other than the Stopwatch or Grand Cross, he may elect to double the heart point cost of the ability to double the attacks made by any of these subweapons. He may choose new targets for the abilities, or the same target.

Triple Shot(Su):
The Vampire Hunter grows ever more proficient with his sub-weapon attacks. Whenever using any subweapon other than the Stopwatch or Grand Cross, he may elect to triple the heart point cost of the ability to triple the attacks made by any of these subweapons. He may choose new targets for the abilities, or the same target.

That's what I've got so far. I'll update this in a bit. Continued feedback will be appreciated :smallsmile:

Kellus
2011-04-13, 07:34 AM
Whatever you like. Personally, while I like the concept, there just isn't enough there to justify a full base class. I mean, there's really only one kind of character you can build with this idea.

Plus I really liked the idea of a ranger/factotum resourceful problem solver. It seemed to fit pretty well.

One thing you're going to want to get past is the idea that everything needs to be a perfect analog to the game. It's never going to happen. What you need to do is have flavourful and fun mechanics that are reminiscent of the game. :smallsmile:

wiimanclassic
2011-04-13, 07:46 AM
*coughflamingwhipcough*

Maybe make item crashes be usable at later levels?

Dsurion
2011-04-13, 08:20 AM
Whatever you like. Personally, while I like the concept, there just isn't enough there to justify a full base class. I mean, there's really only one kind of character you can build with this idea.

Plus I really liked the idea of a ranger/factotum resourceful problem solver. It seemed to fit pretty well.Like I said, I'm sure there's a better mechanical way to do this, but with my group... None of them will ever play a Ranger or a Factotum. Or take a prestige class. And rarely will they even multiclass. So, it's less about getting it 100% right and more about getting what's likely to work for us. I'd have no problem whatsoever if someone else wanted to use the prestige class idea. I'm not gonna lie, I like your method better.

One thing you're going to want to get past is the idea that everything needs to be a perfect analog to the game. It's never going to happen. What you need to do is have flavourful and fun mechanics that are reminiscent of the game. :smallsmile:Fair enough. I figured wrinkles can be ironed once the concept is more developed. Right now I'm still in the stage where I'm trying to find the needle in the ocean that was formerly in the haystack.

Maybe make item crashes be usable at later levels?Maybe. That's a pretty complicated system though. I might try certain individual ones if they're feasible, but some of them, like summoning faeries and such are probably not even worth trying. 1000 Edge would be cool, but I think the Cloud of Knives spell already does something close enough.

Does anyone have any comments on the stuff I put up?

Owrtho
2011-04-14, 02:52 PM
Well, as a fan of castlevania, I'd give a few suggestions for making a full base class. First, you might try staggering when they get some of the subweapons, though that may not be needed.

For that matter, you may also look into adding some of the other subweapons that have been used in past games (crystals or bibles seem the most likely candidates).

Also, you may want to give some abilities to enchant their whip/spike chain with the various elemental whips that are common in the games (though only one at a time).

If you want to try borrowing from the Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadow's which both happen to have more in the way of various moves, you could try adding a whip/spike chain themed maneuver progression (by which I mean only grant them access to thematically appropriate styles using those weapons).

Also seen in those games (and possibly others), is traits that modify how your sub weapons work. In Lament, you have the orbs, while in Lords you have the light and dark magic. Perhaps implementing something like that could be used to help expand out the class (at which point the grand cross would likely become a form of the cross like in lament).

As for some other more mechanical suggestions, The cross boomerang could be done like a holy line breath weapon, to represent it going through enemies. If you also want to show it coming back, you could make that occur the following round (as a second line effect coming back to you).

A double jump ability may make sense, given it is a staple ability in the games (perhaps the ability to make a second jump check at any point within the current jump).

Grand cross seems like it would just be a powerful AoE ability.

Owrtho

Dsurion
2011-05-04, 09:37 AM
It's been a while since I've gotten to work on this... I edited the main post with the newest modifications, left the old table go to note progress. Anyone have any feedback?

RustyController
2016-09-12, 12:10 AM
*coughflamingwhipcough*

Maybe make item crashes be usable at later levels?

I was about to mention that, some good item crashes would be great, cause honestly i wanna use this class myself, maybe at lvls 5, 10, 25 and 20 you can pick one item to learn its crash technique? I wanna be able to spew a hurricane of daggers or throw a monsterous greataxe

As for flaming whip i would like to point to the pathfinder inquisitor skill "flaming retribution", it adds holy fire to one weapon as a swift action and deals if i remember 2d6 holy fire damage and even more if the user is under judgement mode (causes fire explosions, muy caliente~)

Edit:
Forgot to mention this: DID EVERYONE FORGET THE WHIP FLAILING?!? DEAR GOD THAT WAS THE BEST PART CMON!!! MAKE IT AN SKILL!!!!!

Flailing maelstrom:
Can be sustained for 1d4 rounds+con mod
1st tier: damages enemies in an aoe around you
2nd tier: deflects slow projectiles
3rd tier: deflects fast projectiles & magic
Deals half the whip's base damage wach round to enemies in radius of whip's attack range