PDA

View Full Version : Favourite keyboard shortcut?

Kobold-Bard
2011-04-12, 05:31 PM
Does anyone else have a favourite computer keyboard shortcut?

Personally I am in a committed relationship with "Ctrl Shift G", that particular combo activating the double speed playback function in Windows Media Player, which is as kickass now as it has always been.

Anyone else care to share? Or am I alone in this unusual love affair?

K-B

Ranger Mattos
2011-04-12, 07:15 PM
I would have to say the Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G shortcuts in Inkscape, used to group and ungroup respectively. Saves a lot of time not having to go through the drop-down menus.

Icewalker
2011-04-12, 07:33 PM
I mean, cut/copy/paste, and select all for me, probably. Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-A...

thubby
2011-04-12, 07:44 PM
ctrl+t for new tab on firefox and ctrl+z for undo in basically everything.

Lady Moreta
2011-04-12, 08:24 PM
Ctrl-Z - I love my undo shortcut.

Then pretty much all the usual formatting ones... cut/copy/paste/select all - anything that lets me use the keyboard instead of the mouse basically.

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-12, 08:44 PM
Ctrl-Z, X, C, and V are all lovely. I also couldn't survive without Ctrl-U, A, O and S, which I've set to be ü, ä, ö and β in Word.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-12, 08:49 PM
Ctrl-W and Ctrl-T. Also Ctrl-I while on these boards. Overuse italics? I could never be accused of overusing italics... >.>

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-12, 08:52 PM
Alt F4 for murdering internet popups
Contrl+Alt+Supr for when computer gets hanged up.

As for format Contrl + C, X and V.

Also, control and +/- for photoshop.
and control mouse wheel for Fireworks

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-04-12, 09:14 PM
I know how to play "The Entertainer" off by heart. This allows me to shortcut the process of reading the music :smallcool:

Ceric
2011-04-12, 10:03 PM
Ctrl and Page Up/Page Down for scrolling though tabs. Also (and in a vaguely left-to-right order) Ctrl+A, Z, W, E, R, T, X, C, and V. I don't do anything with the mouse if I can do it with the keyboard instead :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2011-04-12, 10:22 PM
crt-alt-delete, definitely. I mean.... it's like... hiding in a tall place... and then sniping offending processes. And if you set up an even better task manager (Process Explorer, for example), it's.... awesome. It's like... laser-guided precision for your process-kills.

zephyrkinetic
2011-04-12, 10:33 PM
Windows+E and Windows+R. I prefer a minimalist desktop, so being able to not have icons is nice.

Also, @Kobold-Bard: You are my new personal hero. I offer you a fine, organic, Grade-A internet. From my finest stock. Dubstep at double speed is magical. :smallbiggrin:

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-12, 10:34 PM
I know how to play "The Entertainer" off by heart. This allows me to shortcut the process of reading the music :smallcool:

Please explain, I suck at reading music yet know that piece by heart as well.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-04-12, 11:10 PM
Please explain, I suck at reading music yet know that piece by heart as well.

I'm a bit confused at to what I am explaining? If it's the Entertainers amazing ability to be learnt by heart, I blame magic:smalltongue:

If how I feel it counts as a shortcut, back in highschool when I did music as a subject we had to learn it on the piano (I played French Horn, so reading the music wasn't the difficult part really), yet translating it to my fingers while reading was clunky and difficult for me (my mother failed to teach me to play the piano:smallwink:)

I found it was easier to know to hit "this key then that one" then actually pay attention to the musical score:smallbiggrin:

As an aisde F5 is always a refreshing shortcut to use:smalltongue:

Delorges
2011-04-13, 12:54 AM
For me, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Simple and handy.

Eloel
2011-04-13, 01:59 AM
It has to be Windows+L for me. I leave my laptop unattended way too often.

Eldan
2011-04-13, 02:34 AM
Well, let's see what I know.

CTRL+S, CTRL+X, CTRL+C, CTRL+V, CTRL+F, ALT+TAB, CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Out of these, I probably use CTRL+F the most. Comes from working with thousand-page databanks a lot.

Kobold-Bard
2011-04-13, 03:53 AM

Also, @Kobold-Bard: You are my new personal hero. I offer you a fine, organic, Grade-A internet. From my finest stock. Dubstep at double speed is magical. :smallbiggrin:

Muahahahahahaaa! Another convert :smallbiggrin:

Saithis Bladewing
2011-04-13, 04:01 AM
Windows+E, definitely, although recently Windows+R has grown very liked as well, as I need it to access the network via my PC...

Yora
2011-04-13, 06:29 AM
Plain old Alt+Tab.

The new only thing I learned in computer class at school. :smallbiggrin:

Gullintanni
2011-04-13, 06:34 AM
Plain old Alt+Tab.

Seconded. You can have my Alt+Tab when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

valadil
2011-04-13, 08:35 AM
http://haskell.org/wikiupload/b/b8/Xmbindings.png

I use a linux based window manager called xmonad. It's entirely keyboard shortcut based. See above for the cheat sheet I had to print out when learning it.

I also made a few shortcuts of my own, my favorite of which is alt-m (although alt can be substituted with the windows key or caps lock. I never know where my hands will be when I wanna hit alt-m). By itself alt-m gives me a list of my music. I can type out names of songs or just scroll through. When I hit enter, my music player jumps to that song. If I instead to alt-shift-m, I get the same list, but hitting enter adds the song to my queue rather than playing immediately. And alt-ctrl-m does the same thing, but for folders instead of files. This makes it really easy to queue up a whole album or even a band's discography.

Dispozition
2011-04-13, 08:55 AM
Alt+tab, oh man, that shortcut has saved my life so many times.

I'm also a large fan of ctrl+tab, ctrl+f4, alt+f4, ctrl+t, ctrl+shift+t, ctrl+shift+tab, ctrl+z, and ctrl+alt+z.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-13, 02:56 PM
On work and Inkscape? Control+S, all the way.

Internet? F5 spam. :smalltongue:

Delorges
2011-04-13, 03:23 PM
Right, forgot about that one. I trained myself to automatically press Ctrl+S basically every few moments whenever I'm working on a picture or text document cause I'm so afraid of loosing my progress. :smalleek: Even if I didn't get any noticeable progress done. :smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2011-04-13, 03:53 PM

If one day I am half as proficient in punning as you, I will die happy.

Niezck
2011-04-13, 06:36 PM
Alt-Tab has gotta be the favourite.

Ctrl-Shift-Esc coming close second, so I don't have to deal with that stupid Windows 7 menu thing for Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Oh, and Ctrl-Fn-F5 (Though only Fn since I'm on a laptop) to clear cache and refresh when firefox decides to be stupid.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-14, 06:25 PM
Well, for convenience, I like Windows+D (minimize all), Alt+D (select address bar), Alt+Tab (switch window), and of course the Ctrl+X/C/V and Ctrl+T/W/R sets. I find Ctrl+Alt+Del incredibly useful, of course. Task Manager is meh, but Process Manager has saved me from a reboot many, many times.

CrimsonAngel
2011-04-14, 06:31 PM
I use Ctrl-Z the most but I think you'd really like Alt-F4. Go ahead. Try it. Open up a document and create a masterpiece you could never duplicate, then use the shortcut. It gives you cookies, I swear.

Tiger Duck
2011-04-14, 06:34 PM
I just use the basics, but couldn't live without them.

Ctrl+Z And Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V

I've worn out the C and V key out on 2 different keyboards :smallwink:

Vonriel
2011-04-15, 02:01 AM
I'm a huge fan of (Windows Key)+Tab, since it's like alt+tab, except far cooler. I don't use it much, but it's still pretty much awesome. As for ones I actually use... well, that'd probably be F12, since that's what I have my "bring up my steam overlay" button mapped to, which lets me browse the forums while playing my favorite games. :smalltongue:

ZombyWoof
2011-04-15, 02:19 AM
alt-tab

Everyone at work was going on about the "windows-tab" feature in vista and win7 and I was like, "You mean... alt-tab but uses gfx power?"

Oh and special tip: with Chrome you can alt-tab out of fullscreen flash videos and still have it be fullscreen!

(Google didn't quiiiiite get their Flash integration right)