PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Warlock?

Element Zero
2011-04-12, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know of any 3rd party books containing info on Warlock for Pathfinder? Or if Paizo plans to support the class at all?

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 07:45 PM
Paizo can't make a warlock class (at least anything that looks like the 3.5 one) since it is not part of material they are allowed to use. Warlock is 3.5 only. I would think if they tried they would get hit with a copyright infraction.

true_shinken
2011-04-12, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know of any 3rd party books containing info on Warlock for Pathfinder? Or if Paizo plans to support the class at all?

That would be illegal.

Element Zero
2011-04-12, 08:05 PM
Hmmm...there I go not studying up like I should. (facepalms) I wasn't even aware that Warlock wasn't part of the stuff Paizo can reproduce...it isn't OGL then?

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 08:09 PM
Nope and they likely can't make something remotely similar either. If it is not here on this link then paizo probably cannot likely touch it.

http://www.d20srd.org/

Ozreth
2011-04-12, 08:12 PM
Pretty sure only the stuff in the core books are OGL (with very few exceptions).

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 08:15 PM
I just assumed that if they allow it to be reprinted in these fashions then it was part of the OGL. Though it may not be. But if it is not in a site like that then it really is unlikely that it would be allowed.

Element Zero
2011-04-12, 08:28 PM
The Witch class from the Advanced Player's Guide seems to be similar in spirit...but it's mechanics are vastly different. Still...I feel like a dope for having started this thread.

Regardless, thanks for the info! Satisfactory or not, the question was answered. :smallsmile:

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 08:32 PM
Don't feel bad copyright can be confusing in a normal situation. In this case having the game have this thing that lets you copy their work and modify them makes the situation really confusing.

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-12, 10:02 PM
Would it be against copyright to say "What would a warlock look like in Pathfinder" or even just "Pathfinderize the warlock?"

I'm sure there's threads like that on here though, but I doubt it would be too difficult to do.

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 10:04 PM
They could make a parody of the warlock and use that but I do not know how you could parody a class and still have it be usable for real.

panaikhan
2011-04-13, 07:16 AM
I have a third-party Pathfinder book, with Artificer, and Warlock classes.

I think it's called "Tome of Secrets", but I cannot be 100% sure.

edit - let's see if this works

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/c/cubicle7/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89n5

Re'ozul
2011-04-13, 07:47 AM
Yeah, Tome of Secrets has a Warlock class.

But it strips away a lot of the good warlock stuff and gives even less back.
Its also weirdly if not badly written and some of its abilities by RAW are simply unbalanced.

true_shinken
2011-04-13, 08:02 AM
Tome of Secrets is a pretty bad book.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-04-13, 08:06 AM
Why not just make a male Witch and call him a Warlock? That's how they do it in real life, anyway.

Besides, the Witch class seems to pretty much be Pathfinder's answer to the Warlock.

Tetsubo 57
2011-04-13, 08:36 AM
PF Warlock: Rogue damage progression for the EB, Invocation at every level but leave the power levels the same, capstone ability allowing two EBs per round. Done.

MeeposFire
2011-04-13, 09:28 AM
Why not just make a male Witch and call him a Warlock? That's how they do it in real life, anyway.

Besides, the Witch class seems to pretty much be Pathfinder's answer to the Warlock.

The witch class is nothing like the warlock class. It is more like PFs version of the example custom class from the DMG known as the witch class. Warlock use at will spell like abilities. Witches have limited per day hexes and traditional wizard casting. They are about as far away mechanically as you can get in magic in 3e style games.