PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Plating

Zaq
2011-04-12, 08:46 PM
So, two questions about our beloved 'forged and their special armor.

1) Is the vanilla, out-of-the-box composite plating considered to be light armor or no armor?

2) Are warforged automatically proficient with their plating, even if they take the feats that give them heavier plating? Could you, for example, have a warforged Psion stomping around with adamantine plating (without taking nonproficiency penalties, that is)?

IthroZada
2011-04-12, 08:56 PM
Warforged are automatically proficient with their plating, regardless of their class according to the Sage. But, I believe for purposes of losing class abilities due to wearing heavier armor (i.e. monk), it counts as light armor, or heavy if Adamantine.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070123a

Edit: Yep, everyone below me is right. I got mixed up a bit on the feats and the standard plating.

Greenish
2011-04-12, 08:59 PM
Warforged plating is not actually armour, so you don't need proficiency for it.

Standard plating doesn't cause monks to lose their class features.

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 09:01 PM
All the plating feats will cause you to lose your monkness though. Regular plating is fine though.

Plating does not need prof since it is not actually armor. It is treated as armor in many ways but prof is not one of them. Also even if you were not proficient with it it would not matter since the plating (even adamantine) do not have an actual armor check penalty (it gives a penalty on skill checks that ACP applies to but it is not an ACP which means for instance that it is not doubled on swim checks) so you would receive no penalty anyway.

Zaq
2011-04-12, 09:01 PM
Warforged plating is not actually armour, so you don't need proficiency for it.

Standard plating doesn't cause monks to lose their class features.

Ironically, I was hoping that it would be considered light armor. That would allow a 'forged Swordsage to get their WIS-to-AC class feature without burning a feat on Mithral/Ironwood Plating, since that actually requires light armor. Oh well.

MeeposFire
2011-04-12, 09:05 PM
Are you playing some absolute strict RAW as their is no other reason to make swordsages wear armor if they don't want to. Just rule 0 it away unless you like that restriction (that probably was not intended).