PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the contemporary Holy Grail: NHL Playoff 2011 thread

Gaius Marius
2011-04-12, 10:07 PM
(I know this isn't a sport forum, but it just came to my attention that there is a fair amount of hockey fans on this board, and it's always a pleasure to introduce to what I believe to be the most beautiful sport practiced by the human race)

(trolling will not be tolerated. THIS! IS! GIANTITP! Remain civil and un-snippy in your comments. Hockey's nature makes it a very subjective game to watch!)

I believe I should start with a presentation.. I will only talk of what I know, but like said above, some other people might have a varying point of view on what I'll say ;-)

It is somewhat fitting to have the OP of an NHL thread to be started by a fan of the Montreal Canadiens. This club is the equivalent of the Yankees in Hockey, the smart child. They held the highest record of championship in north American sports history at 24, only to be surpassed less than 10 years ago by the Yankees, at 26.

They are coming out of about 15 years of insignificance, but their team have known a complete rehaul 2 years ago. The Canadiens ("Habs") have currenty one of the top goalie of the NHL, with Carey Price. Due to bad management, an of the genuine success this team had known in the past 10 years was because of awesome goaltending skill.

This year ain't much of an exception, I am afraid. However, what differentiate our team for the past year and a half if our coaching and the contribution of a key core of veterans we signed in mid-2009.

They completely surprised the whole NHL last year, by eliminating the main Cup contenders, the Washingtown Capitals in 7 games (playoff format is 4 rounds of best of 7). Then, they eliminated the 2nd best team in the East and holders of the Championship: the Penguins of Pittsburgh, in 7 games also. The Penguins's star player is probably somebody you heard about: Sidney Crosby, the reason Canada won it's last Olympic gold medal :smallwink:

One of the reason we won this Playoff was an emergency measure. Our star defensemen (Andrei Markov, "The General") was injured in one of the last game against Washington. We had to recall an unexperienced rookie from our farm club: PK Subban.

The kid proved to be a key element in most of our victories. He neutralized Crosby by playing with flair, panache and a seemingly unlimited supply of energy and enthusiasm. The boy literally turned the Pittsburgh fans mad, for he was.. no, he IS an annoying player to play against.

We lost against Philadelphia in 5 games, and they lost to the Blackhawks. I'd rather not talk about that. My team had probably an empty tank.. AND the Flyers just made their own little Heroic Comeback against Boston, coming back from losing the serie 0-3, and getting 4 in a row, a feat achieved only 3 times in NHL history.

This year, we have a more mature Subban. We lost Markov again, but we got Subban, an offensive D a great teammate when going on the Power Play. And our veteran squad are still there, holding this team's heart all the way.

They will play the Boston Bruins. There is a lot of bad history between these two teams, probably the fiercest rivality in Hockey, maybe even in professional sport.. Seeing the emotive nature of said sport.

A lot of things happened between the two clubs this year. I should also be known that historically, the Montreal Canadiens have been able to beat Boston with mystical regularity. Boston have time and again fielded superior teams against Montreal, and Montreal still managed to pull wins!

This year is no different. Strangely, the Habs-Bruins matchup have been the most common in NHl history. And I am not only talking about the time when there only were 6 teams, but let's just point out that the teams have met in the 1st round 3 times in the past 4 years... Weird, eh?

Last year goalie who save out ass was Halak. We traded him to keep Price, who's proving to have a much superior year. Our defense is more effective than last year, our offense is practically the same, except in Power Plays, where we are much better, thanks to our most prolific offensive player of the latter half of the season: PK Subban.

Due to this year's intense history, and the ageless and eternal bad blood between both teams and fanbases, this will probably be one of the most entertaining serie of this playoff.

Or the most anticlimatic. :smallbiggrin:

*whew* okay, I'm done. Let's talk hockey!!

Gaius Marius
2011-04-13, 01:19 PM
Seeing the obvious interest of all members of this forum for this topic, I am going to throw in a nice french song made by a Montreal group, meant to be a celebratory song.

"ALLEZ, ALLEZ ALLEZ! ALLEZ, MONTREAL!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMY-BswmS4g)

(the complete song) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjRA7TmrYMs)

polity4life
2011-04-15, 01:31 PM
It's great that you're a Habs fan. That franchise epitomizes the term, "storied". The Canadiens have, arguably, the most iconic jersey in the game. I can think of only three other franchises that compete (Toronto, Chicago, and Detroit).

I just feel terribly to have to inform you that the Habs won't bask in the presence of Lord Stanley's Cup as it will be returned to its rightful owners, the Detroit Red Wings. Visiting hours will be posted in June.

shiram
2011-04-15, 01:35 PM
So how awesome was last night's game between the Habs and the Bruins? Pretty radically awesome I would say.
Very important win on the road, and a shutout too, just to mess with the Bruins mind!
Very glad to see Gomez finally picking up his play as well.

The Habs are pegged as the udnerdogs, and that suits me just fine!

Gaius Marius
2011-04-16, 08:37 AM
Very strong road game. Except for a few elements, the team as a whole contributed more than just a little. Everybody seems to know where he fits as a cog in the Stanley-Cup winning machine!

Price was great! Generally, it didn't looked that impressive, because his main strenght is proper positioning after having a clear read of the play.

Gomez is a playoff beast.

If on today's (Saturday) game, the bs don't score on the first or first 2 periods, they will start to wonder if Price is invincible. We'll have won the psychological war.

Oh, and people, look "Habs fan stand up" on YouTube by Annakin Slayd. Released on Thursday :)

shiram
2011-04-18, 08:40 AM
The B's looked just as bad in the second game, and the Habs seem to have total focus on the prize... only 14 more wins to go! :smallbiggrin:

Gaius Marius
2011-04-18, 09:00 AM
I just feel terribly to have to inform you that the Habs won't bask in the presence of Lord Stanley's Cup as it will be returned to its rightful owners, the Detroit Red Wings. Visiting hours will be posted in June.

Suuuure... Look, if you seriously think Detroit is the rightful home of the Stanley Cup, well I gotta tell you, she likes to sleepover ;-)

The B's looked just as bad in the second game, and the Habs seem to have total focus on the prize... only 14 more wins to go!

Indeed! I have a hard time determining if it's the Bruins playing bad, or the Habs playing good.

But before you answer something too quickly (or any Bruins fan who might be tempted to diss their own team) please remember last year's playoff: when we beat Washington and Penguins, these teams looked bad to. When we are in our game, maybe it's our strenght to make the other team look bad?

Big Game tonight. The Bell Center's energy is going to be... ...

OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!

polity4life
2011-04-18, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Gaius Marius;10804768]Suuuure... Look, if you seriously think Detroit is the rightful home of the Stanley Cup, well I gotta tell you, she likes to sleepover ;-)

Oh, let me tell you that the Cup is a hussy. How many "camping trips" has it made to Montreal way back when? It has taken too many "vacations" to Toronto. Sometimes I question its standards. Tampa Bay? Anaheim? Pittsburgh of all places? C'mon now. Detroit will take good care of it, kinda like a child coming out of rehab.

By the way, please pass along a memo to the Habs organization to take the Bruins out. And, should your guys draw Philidelphia in the next round, do the same. Much appreciated.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-18, 10:59 AM
Oh, let me tell you that the Cup is a hussy. How many "camping trips" has it made to Montreal way back when? It has taken too many "vacations" to Toronto. Sometimes I question its standards. Tampa Bay? Anaheim? Pittsburgh of all places? C'mon now. Detroit will take good care of it, kinda like a child coming out of rehab.

To be honest, I think some of us in Montreal feel a little guilty with all those party we threw with her. She was quite young at the time..

But then again, she was a helluva party girl. :smallbiggrin: Can't wait to hold her into our arms again...

By the way, please pass along a memo to the Habs organization to take the Bruins out. And, should your guys draw Philidelphia in the next round, do the same. Much appreciated.

I think they got the memo before you ever wrote it. Have you seen how they played? I have never seen a team so grittly determined to win this freaking game!

polity4life
2011-04-18, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, due to the wonderful television contracts the NHL has, I haven't had the opportunity to catch a single Habs/Bruins game. I have seem Vancouver/Chicago though and the Canucks look hungry this year. As a Red Wings fan, I've had to keep tabs on Van/Chi and Ana/Nash because those Blackhawks and Predators have had the Wings number this year. As much as I despite Anaheim, I hope they beat Nashville and I know the Canucks aren't dropping 4 straight to the defending "champs".

Gaius Marius
2011-04-18, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately, due to the wonderful television contracts the NHL has, I haven't had the opportunity to catch a single Habs/Bruins game. I have seem Vancouver/Chicago though and the Canucks look hungry this year. As a Red Wings fan, I've had to keep tabs on Van/Chi and Ana/Nash because those Blackhawks and Predators have had the Wings number this year. As much as I despite Anaheim, I hope they beat Nashville and I know the Canucks aren't dropping 4 straight to the defending "champs".

Just to give you the gist of it, I've never seen a team so disciplined. They keep short shifts, they don't get caught in silly scrum with the oversized Bruins, they don't retaliate to bad hit on them immediately, as they'd rather wait and get their turn for powerful checking.

They have a very tight defensive system and they stick to it. They are opportunistic and professional. Jacque Martin is holding this team on a stronger leash than GLaDOS ever did, but the players seem to thrive under that kind of discipline and control, rather than feel contained and limited.

All in all, I love this serie so far :smallbiggrin: Big game tonight!

polity4life
2011-04-20, 08:17 AM
So, CBC is now my favorite station. I just wish I could have it in HD.

Nashville v Anaheim is becoming pretty ugly, but all series with Anaheim are ugly. They are not only one of the dirtiest teams in the league and have been for years but they whine like no other when it comes to penalty minutes. Anaheim's GM has blatantly stated that the Predators are diving to draw minutes. This is such a confusing statement on a couple of levels:

1) Anaheim had the sixth most penalty minutes in the regular season
2) Diving is largely an accepted practice by the refs in the playoffs

I remember Teemu complaining about playing at Joe Louis Arena and how the refs call a different game there. Home ice advantage is a reality, Teemu. You get it at the Honda Center.

Vancouver v Chicago was ugly last night, but that game seems analagous to game 4 in the San Jose v Detroit series last year. Detroit won 7 - 1 if I remember right and went on to lose game 5. The Blackhawks are done.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-20, 08:22 AM
Don't talk to me about diving complains. Just ask any Bruins fan what they think of the Habs... :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, they are dangerously fanatic about it. Their medias don't help it. (http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/how-many-diving-penalties-will-canadiens-be-called-for-against-the-bruins-during-quarterfinals.html)

We lost on Monday against the Bruins, but to be honest, I felt it was more due to the Habs playing very bad at first than the Bruins being THAT better. However, I really, really loved how my team answered to being back 3-0, and they almost tied up at least 5 times in the last 14 minute! PK played an average game, with about 3-4 baaaad mistakes being compensated with 4-5 amazing moments...

The guy really, really, really tries hard. You should have seen him trying to keep the puck in the O-zone during our last PP... That's the best example of 2nd effort I've ever seen.

polity4life
2011-04-20, 08:31 AM
I watched the tail end of the last Habs v Bruins game and watched the comeback effort. Then I saw Red Wings v Coyotoes and the game speed was so different. People were flying in all directions in Montreal, chasing the puck, playing the puck, and it just made it a very entertaining watch. Not that I didn't like the Red Wings winning, but the game seemed so much slower, like they're all on goalie skates or something.

I will say this about that last Wings/Coyotes game, watching Darren Helm troll Ed Jovanovski is priceless. There's a 2''-3'', 40 lbs. difference between the two in Ed's favor and Darren is just having his way. And the best part is anytime Ed tries to lay him out, he can't! Darren is long gone or slipping around him.

shiram
2011-04-20, 08:32 AM
So, CBC is now my favorite station. I just wish I could have it in HD.
done.

I cringe for you, Don Cherry is really uh dumb and neanderthal in his ways.
Plus they are Leafs Homers.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-20, 08:38 AM

Since half of their staff are either outright Bruins fans or ex Bruins personnel, it always have been cleared they have a Bruins bias also.

Hell, during the game on monday, they clearly stated their analysis with the point of view of the Bruins. "If we want to stay ahead of this game, we gotta have to..."

Hey, CBC! I thought you were a Canadian station! :smallfurious:

I watched the tail end of the last Habs v Bruins game and watched the comeback effort. Then I saw Red Wings v Coyotoes and the game speed was so different. People were flying in all directions in Montreal, chasing the puck, playing the puck, and it just made it a very entertaining watch. Not that I didn't like the Red Wings winning, but the game seemed so much slower, like they're all on goalie skates or something.

So you saw PK Subban catching the puck 8 feet in the air, putting it down while being charged by a Bruins forward, and while on the ice, managed to leap forward anyway to sent it to Kostityn, who then passed it to Plekaneks, who then.. completely missed his pass?

The fun part was mostly about PK Subban. Plekaneks blew that pass. :smallfrown:

polity4life
2011-04-20, 08:40 AM

Cherry totally pwned Mike Milbury though when he and Ron McLean briefly talked about the octopus crackdown the NHL is trying to implement. They showed a clip of Mike doing some pre-game broadcast, wearing gloves to pick up a small, cooked octopus (it wasn't just cooked either). They switched over to Don standing in the Detroit River, picking up this four foot long monster with his bear hands before going into his schpiel. It was glorious.

Mike Milbury is to hockey what Matt Millen is to football.

I'll admit, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but he adds entertainment value and knows hockey despite his stance that, "Canada is Hockey."

shiram
2011-04-20, 11:55 AM
I'll admit, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but he adds entertainment value and knows hockey despite his stance that, "Canada is Hockey."

I just cannot stomach him and his antics, and I despise his glorification of old time hockey and his ridicule for player injuries.
People like him are a reason why the NHL is seeing so many concussions, because they cling to an obsolete idea of what the sport is.

polity4life
2011-04-20, 12:07 PM
I just cannot stomach him and his antics, and I despise his glorification of old time hockey and his ridicule for player injuries.
People like him are a reason why the NHL is seeing so many concussions, because they cling to an obsolete idea of what the sport is.

From what I've gathered, he supports measures to reduce head hits, especially the blind-sides and elbows. I know he feels that if someone has their head down and takes a shoulder, a la Havlat courtesy of Kronwall in the Chicago v Detroit series in 2008-2009, then they get what they deserve.

shiram
2011-04-20, 12:19 PM
From what I've gathered, he supports measures to reduce head hits, especially the blind-sides and elbows. I know he feels that if someone has their head down and takes a shoulder, a la Havlat courtesy of Kronwall in the Chicago v Detroit series in 2008-2009, then they get what they deserve.

He also dislike players who wear visors, but to me it's just a basic piece of protective equipment.
I guess it's not as bad if you are not Canadian and paying for his salary...

Gaius Marius
2011-04-20, 12:24 PM
He also dislike players who wear visors, but to me it's just a basic piece of protective equipment.
I guess it's not as bad if you are not Canadian and paying for his salary...

Apparently, HNIC is a positive net income part on CBC's financial statements, so he pays himself.

But let's not touch the topic of public funding, all right? No politics, just hockey.

shiram
2011-04-20, 01:36 PM
Apparently, HNIC is a positive net income part on CBC's financial statements, so he pays himself.

But let's not touch the topic of public funding, all right? No politics, just hockey.

Sorry about that.
Back to hockey. So the Bruins won one, and some are panicking... Well not me, as I have not seen anything in game 3 that shows the Bruins being a dominant team over the Habs. Fact is the Habs were not skating and playing hard in the first period, and that sunk them.
Game 4 should be interesting.

polity4life
2011-04-20, 01:49 PM
Yzerman is up for top GM this year.

I may sound like a homer but if there were a fantasy draft where every player in their prime was available to play and I had the number 1 pick, I would take Yzerman. He excelled in every aspect of the game, from the locker room to the goal. The man is just made of win.

EDIT: Sorry for the break from playoff talk.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-20, 01:53 PM
EDIT: Sorry for the break from playoff talk.

Don't be. Hockey talk is good, although I will be less enthousiasm talking about general hockey than Playoff hockey, mkay? :smallwink:

polity4life
2011-04-21, 06:51 AM
It was a good night for hockey last night. Two double over-time games and the cap on a sweep.

Seeing Shane Doan cry made it better.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 07:23 AM
Seeing Shane Doan cry made it better.

Personnally, I just want to see Tuuka throw a tantrum, or Chara smash his stick in complete frustration.

Victory for us tonight!

shiram
2011-04-21, 09:01 AM
Personnally, I just want to see Tuuka throw a tantrum, or Chara smash his stick in complete frustration.

Victory for us tonight!

Just have him keep taking stupid penalties that kill the momentum of his team. Bu even notwithstanding that, the Habs will be alot more prepared and focused than they were in game 3. Should be another great hockey match tonight!
Halpern most likely in for Pouliot, will help on the draw for sure.

As for Tukka, I doubt he sees the net, unless Thomas gets lit up, which would be fun.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:06 AM
Just have him keep taking stupid penalties that kill the momentum of his team. Bu even notwithstanding that, the Habs will be alot more prepared and focused than they were in game 3. Should be another great hockey match tonight!
Halpern most likely in for Pouliot, will help on the draw for sure.

As for Tukka, I doubt he sees the net, unless Thomas gets lit up, which would be fun.

Chara can really lose his head when we get to skate around him. Plek managed to really enrage him at the end of the 1st game, and it ruined all the Bs' chance of a comeback.

Am I the only one surprised that the PP/PK have been a relatively minor element of the serie so far? I mean, except for the mood-killing quick PP goal on game 2, obviously.

shiram
2011-04-21, 09:30 AM
Chara can really lose his head when we get to skate around him. Plek managed to really enrage him at the end of the 1st game, and it ruined all the Bs' chance of a comeback.

Am I the only one surprised that the PP/PK have been a relatively minor element of the serie so far? I mean, except for the mood-killing quick PP goal on game 2, obviously.

PP has been minor yes, but PK has been major, as only one goal was scored on the PP, a Habs goal too. Getting powerplay opportunities and not converting can be a momentum switching moment.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:38 AM
PP has been minor yes, but PK has been major, as only one goal was scored on the PP, a Habs goal too. Getting powerplay opportunities and not converting can be a momentum switching moment.

Or playing as crappy as the Habs did during their 1st PP on Monday, which immediately was followed by a goal against :smallyuk:

I really hope Subban will get his 1st tonight!

SlayerScott
2011-04-21, 10:48 AM

OK, I gotta argue this point with you. I really don't like Don Cherry - mostly 'cuz I think he's racist - but there were actually less concussions in old time hockey. Cherry's brought up some excellent points as to why concussions are rising and how to improve the problems

#1 Weaponized equipment - what used to protect the player throwing the hit is now used as a weapon. Hard plastic caps on shoulder and elbow pads not only improve your ability to crack your oponent in the head but when you had padded equiptment it kinda hurt if you tried to run a big guy over. These pads take the fear out of headhunting

#2 - Rule changes - the cutting down on clutching and grabbing, the interference penalty for the free defenceman holding up a forechecking forward, the elimination of the red line and the worst offender the trapezoid. These are a main cause of the rise of injury. Brent Seabrook and Ian White's injuries would have been a moot point if the other defenceman could have made it a less than straight line to the defender, or if the Goalie had been allowed to move the puck.

#3 - The Instigator Penalty - I cannot emphasize enough how everyone took the Steve Moore Vs. Todd Bertuzzi incident the wrong way. Moore threw one of the famous "headshots" everyone cries about on Markus Naslund. Bertuzzi felt the appropriate reaction was to beat the crap out of him. In truth, it was. But the beating went horribly wrong when Moore tried to run away. Steve Moore should have took his beating like a man and would have had a broken nose instead of a broken neck if he had fought properly. But he didn't. It's no coincidence Matt Cooke was involved in all this mess. Bertuzzi was given criminal charges and Cooke learned a valuable lesson - you can run around throwing cheap shots, head shots and trying to end people's careers but it's fighting that the league office will punish most severely. Between that and the instigator penalty cowards like Cooke can run around smashing people in the head or clipping their knees without having to take a beating for it.(For some reason people think this argument means I think Moore deserved a broken neck - of course he didn't. But if you're jaywalking and you get hit by a car you might die. Sometimes the punishment far exceeds the crime, but it doesn't suddenly absolve the victim of all responsibility.) Also, much as we want to blame fighting a recent study showed a remarkably similar rise in concussions in NCAA Women's Hockey. That league has no fighting and is actually non-contact. The biggest contributor to the rise in concussions? Medical advancements in detecting concussions.

On the other hand? I'd like to see more visors. I'd also like to see them drop the bonus penalty for fighting with a visor on - seems to punish people for wearing visors.

shiram
2011-04-21, 11:06 AM
I'd say that alot of concussions we're not discovered back then, as they did not care for them, or played trough them, but you also bring some valid points.

Still, I despise him, and his "Rock'em Sock'em Hockey" vhs tapes and his antics, forgetting players name when he dislikes them, bringing annoying gimmicks on the show that have no relation to hockey, and it's not like he even achieved much greatness in the nhl either.

As far as I know there is no extra penalty for wearing a visor in a fight...

And for concussion, well there is one thing that is lacking and would help alot and it's the players respecting each other, which does not seem to be the case for many of the players.

As for the instigator ruel, well the truth of the matter is that fighting in hockey should much more penalized than it is right now, as there is very little incentive not to fight. It's usually appreciated by team-mates, and alot of coach will ask it from their players, but in the end when you think about it, it makes no sense that fighting nets you a 5 minute penalty, but making an obscene gesture nets you a few games suspension. Also hockey is the only major that tolerates fighting to such a degree to have being rampant.

Emongnome777
2011-04-21, 11:07 AM
The biggest contributor to the rise in concussions? Medical advancements in detecting concussions.

I think a close second is the reduction in the stigma associated with missing games because "you got your bell rung a little". Rugby has always reported fewer concussions than American football, but new statistics are showing that much of that was due to underreporting. Hard to say how much underreporting was due to the player refusing to acknowledge the severity of the injury as opposed to ignorance of the symptoms.

Back to the playoffs, I'm glad my Sabres tied up the series with the Flyers. I don't think that either team is playing up to their potential, but it's been an entertaining series. If Buffalo will relax enough to stop giving the puck away, they might just win this series. I'm amazed that no game has gone to overtime, yet.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 11:37 AM
The biggest contributor to the rise in concussions? Medical advancements in detecting concussions.

I was watching Maurice Richard, the movie (you should watch it, it's veeeery good) about the Rocket, and there is a scene when a Bruins backcheck him, he collapse on the ice head first, during the 1st, opening his face, knocking him out.

They took him to the locker room, stiched him up. He came back on the ice by the 3rd period, and score the serie-winning goal, his jersey still covered in blood.

The guy came back from a serious concussion, freshly stiched up, and scored the game-winning goal. You'd never see that today.

I think Maurice Richard had Fast Healing as a perk, or something like that :smalleek:

SlayerScott
2011-04-21, 12:39 PM
I'd say that alot of concussions we're not discovered back then, as they did not care for them, or played trough them, but you also bring some valid points.

Still, I despise him, and his "Rock'em Sock'em Hockey" vhs tapes and his antics, forgetting players name when he dislikes them, bringing annoying gimmicks on the show that have no relation to hockey, and it's not like he even achieved much greatness in the nhl either.

As far as I know there is no extra penalty for wearing a visor in a fight...

And for concussion, well there is one thing that is lacking and would help alot and it's the players respecting each other, which does not seem to be the case for many of the players.

As for the instigator ruel, well the truth of the matter is that fighting in hockey should much more penalized than it is right now, as there is very little incentive not to fight. It's usually appreciated by team-mates, and alot of coach will ask it from their players, but in the end when you think about it, it makes no sense that fighting nets you a 5 minute penalty, but making an obscene gesture nets you a few games suspension. Also hockey is the only major that tolerates fighting to such a degree to have being rampant.

Rule 47.6 states:Face Protection – If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply.

And I think you missed my point about fighting being an important deterrent to cheap shot artists. Wayne Gretzky said his career was shortened in his Ranger days because no one protected him. While he was destroying the NHL record book he had Marty McSorley and Dave "Cementhead" Semenko protecting him and you can't deny the 80s Oilers were the essence of high scoring Hockey based on skill. It's also why he insisted that McSorley be included with him in the trade to LA. I honestly believe that fighting in the NHL does more good than harm. Also, it's an integral part of the game - the 2004 Stanley Cup was pretty much won in the fight between Vinny Lecavalier and Jarome Iginla.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 12:55 PM
And I think you missed my point about fighting being an important deterrent to cheap shot artists. Wayne Gretzky said his career was shortened in his Ranger days because no one protected him. While he was destroying the NHL record book he had Marty McSorley and Dave "Cementhead" Semenko protecting him and you can't deny the 80s Oilers were the essence of high scoring Hockey based on skill. It's also why he insisted that McSorley be included with him in the trade to LA. I honestly believe that fighting in the NHL does more good than harm. Also, it's an integral part of the game - the 2004 Stanley Cup was pretty much won in the fight between Vinny Lecavalier and Jarome Iginla.

Yet, you might end up with disgraceful demonstration when you have a team built favoring heavy guys against another team who doesn't, like the February 2011 beatdown the Bruins gave the Canadien. having a tough guy wouldn't have helped the Habs there, as the whole lineups ended up violently fighting, mostly on Bruins' instigation.

shiram
2011-04-21, 12:57 PM
Rule 47.6 states:Face Protection – If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply.

My bad on that one, but I definately agree that that rule makes no sense...
As for cheap shot artists, maybe if the league was doing a better job, the players would not have to police themselves with fighting.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 01:02 PM
My bad on that one, but I definately agree that that rule makes no sense...
As for cheap shot artists, maybe if the league was doing a better job, the players would not have to police themselves with fighting.

I think everybody know how Habs fan stand on the issue :smallbiggrin:

So I won't add anything

SlayerScott
2011-04-21, 01:55 PM
I was watching Maurice Richard, the movie (you should watch it, it's veeeery good) about the Rocket, and there is a scene when a Bruins backcheck him, he collapse on the ice head first, during the 1st, opening his face, knocking him out.

They took him to the locker room, stiched him up. He came back on the ice by the 3rd period, and score the serie-winning goal, his jersey still covered in blood.

The guy came back from a serious concussion, freshly stiched up, and scored the game-winning goal. You'd never see that today.

I think Maurice Richard had Fast Healing as a perk, or something like that :smalleek:

I've seen the Rocket movie and that's part of my ongoing crusade in favour of violence in hockey. If Rocket Richard or Gordie Howe played today they'd miss half the season due to suspension. This year there's been 4 suspensions in the first round - the previous record for suspensions in an entire playoff is 4. Does this year seem especially violent to you? Or does it seem almost tame compared to pre-lockout stuff? The outcry over player safety these days isn't really supported by the players or else they'd stop doing it. The league wants to cater to the fanbase so they try to suppress the public whining by getting suspension happy. It's this kind of shortsighted thinking - like the rule changes I mentioned before, changing the game without thinking about the long term effects - that led to these problems in the first place.

And coming back from a concussion in-game to score the winning goal, a thing of the past? Mikhail Grabovski disagrees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZXGJYz8GMo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fRbGhoJ5ww&feature=related

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 01:59 PM
I've seen the Rocket movie and that's part of my ongoing crusade in favour of violence in hockey. If Rocket Richard or Gordie Howe played today they'd miss half the season due to suspension.

I don't know Gordie Howe's reputation, but Richard wasn't the kind of player who went out doing cheap shots or being the aggressive party in a team.

(Although he wasn't afraid to throw the first punch... but he was the target of a lot cheap shots)

polity4life
2011-04-21, 02:01 PM
I don't know Gordie Howe's reputation, but Richard wasn't the kind of player who went out doing cheap shots or being the aggressive party in a team.

(Although he wasn't afraid to throw the first punch... but he was the target of a lot cheap shots)

Look up the Gordie Howe Hattrick.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 02:08 PM
Look up the Gordie Howe Hattrick.

and now I feel silly. I knew about the GHH, I just.. you know, connected the dots...

polity4life
2011-04-21, 02:15 PM
Oddly enough, Gordie Howe only had a handful of verifiable Gordie Howe hattricks. No matter though as he did moonlight as a rhinoplastic surgeon.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 02:17 PM
Oddly enough, Gordie Howe only had a handful of verifiable Gordie Howe hattricks. No matter though as he did moonlight as a rhinoplastic surgeon.

I think he only had 2..

I believe Ryan White, on the Habs, have as much this season :smallbiggrin:

shiram
2011-04-21, 02:36 PM
I think he only had 2..

I believe Ryan White, on the Habs, have as much this season :smallbiggrin:

He has one for sure, but I doubt he has 2. He only has 2 goals.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 02:43 PM
He has one for sure, but I doubt he has 2. He only has 2 goals.

Right.

Okay, he's done half of GH's number this year alone.... :smallamused:

otakuryoga
2011-04-21, 04:42 PM
i wont bore you all with a long detailed analytical post so ill just keep it short and sweet

SHARKS WILL WIN IT ALL (hopefully)

that is all

Mordar
2011-04-21, 07:36 PM

While the statement may be specifically true in the NHL, we do see certain NFL players come back from concussions and win huge games - sometimes without missing more than a couple snaps (Brett Favre, for instance, before he became fascinated with text messaging). That being said, there can be a fine line between toughness and foolishness...and as we see lives shortened by concussions (again, the data is stronger in the NFL), we as fans need to count on coaches and staff to keep the players on the bench when they've undergone a legitmate head injury. Now the key is to rapidly and accurately determine if a player is "just hurt" or injured.

A-freaking-men. What hurts more, 30 seconds of maybe-getting-smacked by somebody on skates when you get a chance to throw your own shots (or turtle if your first name is Claude and last name rhymes with "LeSpew") or a $20,000 shot in the wallet? Many of the offenders are the guys looking to fight anyway, so a stand-up scrap isn't a deterrent. A major, a game and a check might be.

- M

polity4life
2011-04-21, 09:10 PM
i wont bore you all with a long detailed analytical post so ill just keep it short and sweet

SHARKS WILL WIN IT ALL (hopefully)

that is all

You are INCORRECT sir! The Red Wings, who will likely face San Jose next, will have their full lineup at their disposal next round, which will include the wildly talented and ruggedly handsome Henrik Zetterberg (my man crush). Until such time, Go Kings!

Gaius, what happened to your Habs? I couldn't catch the game (studying time series analysis and simultaneous binomial equations tends to eat at my attention span) but didn't they have a three goal lead?

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:13 PM
I don't want to talk about it...

Uuuh... Now I regret breaking up with my girlfriend. I need to go to sleep resting against a breast... Crying.. :smallfrown:

polity4life
2011-04-21, 09:16 PM
I don't want to talk about it...

Uuuh... Now I regret breaking up with my girlfriend. I need to go to sleep resting against a breast... Crying.. :smallfrown:

I found a potential substitute for you here (http://www.japantrendshop.com/oppai-pillow-breast-pillow-p-444.html).

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:27 PM
You would be a true Bro, sir, if I could be satisfied with mere object. But I appreciate you moral support.

A mere pillow just doesn't do it. You can't hear the heartbeat, you can't go along the breathing, you can't smell it.. You can't feel it's warmth.

There is something un-replaceable about a woman's breast. Although it's a thousand time better when it the woman you love rather than a mere physical flick...

polity4life
2011-04-21, 09:30 PM
I felt that way after game 7 of the '08-'09 finals. And you are correct sir. Very little compares to the comfort offered by a special lady whom you love.

There's always game six.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:34 PM
I don't despair, but it's a hard blow to take..

Gonna cry alone now. :smallwink:

polity4life
2011-04-25, 06:48 AM
Hockey talk has kind of tapered off. Let's reboot this!

Vancouver, up 3 games to nill over Chicago, drops 3 straight to even the series! I can't believe this but the collapse is complete. Chicago will win its 4th straight and advance, much to my chagrin because, A.) I despise the Blackhawks and 2.) Detroit will likely have to play Nashville.

On that note, Nasvhille dispatched Anaheim over the weekend. Either way, scrappy, high-elbow hockey was going to make it through into the semifinals. Whoever goes through Nashville will have a hard time in the Conference Finals, if they make it through.

San Jose looks to close up the series against Los Angeles tonight. Los Angeles has had its opportunities to take command of the series but their efforts have been a practice of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. San Jose will close this up and likely play Chicago next round.

Buffalo and Philadelphia have tied it up and are in their game seven. I hope Buffalo makes it through; it's always a shame to see a fantastic talent like Ryan Miller never have success in the post season. This is the year for the Sabers, except...

Washington finished their series over the Rangers, and about time. I don't have much confidence that the Capitals will do well this upcoming round, but if it does turn out that Buffalo is their next opponent then Washington is in the Conference Finals.

Lightning struck over the weekend, cooking up some delicious penguin tartare. The Bolts trail in the series 2 games to the Penguins' 3. This will be an interesting game 6 as the Pens will do their best to respond to the 8-2 pummeling they received at home, but they're going to have to do it in Bolt territory. Must see game in my honest opinion (yes, I typed it all out).

Finally, Montreal v Boston. Oh Habs! You had them on the ropes! But those ursine B-towners have totally turned the tables on you! The Habs have the advantage of playing at home for game 6 on Tuesday to set them up for the series steal later this week. C'mon Canadiens!

shiram
2011-04-25, 10:24 AM
So the Habs lost 2 heart-breakers in a row. Still at least we got some grand hockey out of it, and the Habs played very well in both games, and they could have easily gone our way, if Lady Luck was not wearing black and gold on both nights. No diss on the Bruins who played great as well.

But we should not succomb to feelings of despair, as the team has been in this situation before, and risen up to the challenge. The Habs might take heart in that Max Pacioretty is back practicing with our other players rehabbing injuries, Markov and Gorges.

On the bad news side, Desharnais is likely out with a leg or knee injury, and James Wizniewski might have a sore back. Put this is the playoffs, and players playing banged up is nothing new.
I'd like a game seven, for this series has been great to watch.

As a side note, the Bruins Ferrence was fined 2.5k for his flashing the finger to the crowd in game 4. The habs we're fined 10k for not presenting the players to the media for that game.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-25, 10:36 AM
So the Habs lost 2 heart-breakers in a row. Still at least we got some grand hockey out of it, and the Habs played very well in both games, and they could have easily gone our way, if Lady Luck was not wearing black and gold on both nights. No diss on the Bruins who played great as well.

I wouldn't 100% agree with your assessment of Thursday's game. They were ahead, they got really sloppy in their defensive play. Even if they knew everything held on them holding the line after Subban's goal in the 3rd, they blew it.

They got... inconsistant. But yhea, Lady Luck sure wasn't our side..

On the bad news side, Desharnais is likely out with a leg or knee injury, and James Wizniewski might have a sore back. Put this is the playoffs, and players playing banged up is nothing new.
I'd like a game seven, for this series has been great to watch.

It's a bloody shame for Desharnais. The kid's got heart, a mind and more courage than half of the Bruin's lineup put together. I've seen him defy Chara openly 1 on 1, and get away with it. The kid is a foot and a half shorter than the giant!!! David is really deserving his name...

Hope Wizzy is okay too. Too useful to lose for us. But we've recovered from D injuries before. The only one that would cripple us would be Subban..

By the way, Subban playing 40:00 of TOI. Is that awesome, or is that awesome? What is the kid plugged into?! What's his fuel?

I saw him during the 1st OT/2nd OT intermission, and where both team's players were weary and tired, he was PACING IMPATIENTLY! I cannot believe how he still had energy to waste.

shiram
2011-04-25, 10:59 AM
By the way, Subban playing 40:00 of TOI. Is that awesome, or is that awesome? What is the kid plugged into?! What's his fuel?

I saw him during the 1st OT/2nd OT intermission, and where both team's players were weary and tired, he was PACING IMPATIENTLY! I cannot believe how he still had energy to waste.

The Habs did have one bad period on Thursday, but never did the Bruins truly dominate us.

An injury to Price would be quite crippling as well, but let's not dwell on that.

Subban is awesome, and for a first season it was truly a trial by fire. Not only all the media that we're negative towards him, but the players as well. And he was given the #1 defenceman job, and rose to the occasion. He put up great numbers while keeping a great defencive game, and achieved great success on the PK and PP.
It should be awesome to see him go forward from now, great hopes for this guy, and I love his attitude, his energy and flair are fun to watch. And when the Playoffs started, he said that it was all business, and he definately reined in his emotions.

Desharnais is another great surprise, as is Eller.

polity4life
2011-04-26, 08:09 AM
I don't know about you guys but it's seeming more and more evident that a Western Conference team is winning it all this year. You Wales Conference folks are beating the ever living excrement out of each other this year.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-26, 08:20 AM
Wales?

I don't know. I mean, the Canucks are in the middle of a choke-job of Bostonian proportion :smallbiggrin: The only dominant team you have at the moment are the Red Wings.. and I have them in my fantasy pool! :smalltongue:

polity4life
2011-04-26, 10:09 AM
The Wales and Campbell Conferences were the names of the East and West, respectively, prior to the reoganization in the '90s.

The Red Wings took advantage of a weak team that went cold after a hot streak. They didn't play tip top but they were banged up.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-26, 09:40 PM
Oh Yhea!!! Victory tonight!! I would thank you, Lucik, if you hadn't almost crippled one of our defensemen :smallannoyed:

Tomorrow, we'll sort out boys from men!

Don Julio Anejo
2011-04-26, 09:44 PM
Wales?

I don't know. I mean, the Canucks are in the middle of a choke-job of Bostonian proportion :smallbiggrin: The only dominant team you have at the moment are the Red Wings.. and I have them in my fantasy pool! :smalltongue:

Inconsistent reffing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvAcNvC1qo) This is what the Canucks have to deal with on a day-by-day basis any time they play an American team in the playoffs. The blind side hit on Bieksa deserves at least a frickin' game suspension.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-27, 07:25 AM
Inconsistent reffing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvAcNvC1qo) This is what the Canucks have to deal with on a day-by-day basis any time they play an American team in the playoffs. The blind side hit on Bieksa deserves at least a frickin' game suspension.

I tought it was bad ennough, but then I noticed, it's all from a SINGLE GAME?

Oh my. You really got shafted there. I mean, even if I take out the fact that I only see one side of the bad calls, it's still being seriously shafted by the referring... :smalleek:

Sometime, I wished we could sue the NHL to enforce more constant referring. Refferies should have huge fines when they screw up as badly as that.

cleric_of_BANJO
2011-04-27, 08:11 AM
Fortunately, the Canucks are good enough to be able to get past the horrible reffing and beat the Stanley Cup champions, so all is well.

Also, Alex Burrows is a beast. That is all.

polity4life
2011-04-27, 08:35 AM
So the Canucks survived the meltdown but I don't think they're surviving the series with Nashville. A seven game series is draining, but then having to face a grinding, defensively-oriented team afterwards only makes matters worse.

shiram
2011-04-27, 08:41 AM
Habs with the clutch win at home last night. The game was plagued with horrible reffing as well.

Still was a great game, and it's a ton of fun to watch 2 of the leagues best goalie and their very very different style.

edit : great to see the Canucks win their series as well. Would love an all Canadian finals, and it would be doubly sweet as it probably annoy Bettman.

polity4life
2011-04-27, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry guys. Evidently interference isn't a penalty the lion's share of the time.

TheLaughingMan
2011-04-27, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry guys. Evidently interference isn't a penalty the lion's share of the time.

I see you didn't watch the Kings games. :smallwink:

shiram
2011-04-28, 08:29 AM

Reffing in the nhl is random, and there's nothing being done about it. Sometimes it goes your way, other it does not.
Still the Habs-Bruins series was full of great hockey and highly entertaining, and I like what I saw from the boys.
Our core of veteran stepped it up, and led by example, while the young ones, and the rookies played with intensity.
Really liked what I saw from Yannick Weber, and it must be hard for him, being in the sahdow of Subban.
Still I think things bode well for next season, and I'm eager to see how the team shapes up next season.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-28, 08:33 AM
Say what you want about that game, it was a good game.

Awesome comeback from the Habs. Heroic goal from Subban!! :smallbiggrin:

Weber will find his pace. He's a good kid, not as good as Subban, but then again, who is as good as Subban?

I can't wait for September/October. I hope we resign Goerges, Wizzy and Markov, and with Desharnais and Pacioretty back, and maybe one or 2 good UFAs, we could be a force to be reckoned with...

polity4life
2011-04-28, 08:58 AM
If you two provide any indication of the temperament of Habs fans, then Habs fans really are great.

If Detroit would have been ousted in a series like that, there would have been wild uproars about officiating, calls for replacing Jimmy Howard, and rants and ravings about letting young talent like Leino and Quincey go in favor of keeping older players.

Thanks for setting a proper example of a fan.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-28, 09:04 AM
If you two provide any indication of the temperament of Habs fans, then Habs fans really are great.

If Detroit would have been ousted in a series like that, there would have been wild uproars about officiating, calls for replacing Jimmy Howard, and rants and ravings about letting young talent like Leino and Quincey go in favor of keeping older players.

Thanks, but on the other hand, if we had a remotely healthy team and lost to the Bs like that, we would be a lot more upset.

After Markov's injury, after Goerge's injury, after Pacioretty's injury.. a lot of people thought we couldn't even make the playoffs. And then, many said we would be swiped by the Bs.

Whatever we achieved, we achieved despite the odds and the curves thrown at this team, so I am proud of them.

(Go Canucks!)

shiram
2011-04-28, 09:30 AM

Thanks thats a nice thing to say. As for fans I think there are black sheeps supporting any teams, and we have our own, for sure.
I always try to remember that when confronted with annoying fans from other teams, though I'm glad to say, discussions here are always mature and respectful.

But overall I cannot say I am frustrated, I wanted the Habs to move on, and I feel we easily could have, the series was that close.

But it's hard not to see the great things we have going forward, Price is excellent, and so is Subban, both are elite talents, and elite players is something we have missed in the organization for alot of time now.
Eller came into his own, and showed alot of grit and determination.
The same can be said for alot of our youths. And some key veteran really showed they could do really well, Cammalleri was really impressive to watch, and he is a true offencive talent.
So it might be bittersweet, but that's what makes it interesting, if there was no risk of losing, or controversy, we would not be so involved, and we would care less...
Hockey is awesome basically!
I do feel the B's will have a very tough time against the Flyers though.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-28, 09:37 AM
I do feel the B's will have a very tough time against the Flyers though.

I was saying to a Bs fan who's a friend of mine, it seems the Bruins will have to face all their demons this year.

First the Habs, then the Flyers.

cleric_of_BANJO
2011-05-01, 12:40 PM
Is anyone else absolutely shocked that the Red Wings lost their first game? I mean, yeah, it's on the road, but I honestly expected them to win their series in 4. I know, I know, the Sharks are a great team as well, but the Wings have the best chemistry of any team in the NHL. It's like they are completely in synch with each other all the time, and their passing is a treat to watch. I'm cheering for the Canucks 100%, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings winning the Stanley Cup this year.

As for Vancouver, talk about choking. It's like they expected to come into the playoffs and win games just like in the regular season, but boy, were they wrong. Honestly, they have the deepest, most solid team in the NHL (IMO, of course), but they just don't like like they want to win. This is, of course NOT including players like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, etc. They are working their hardest and they've really stepped up for the team. The Sedins have almost disappeared completely. They had a couple good shifts in games 1 and 2 against the Preds, but they need to start playing like they normally do (or better) if they want to win. I think I speak on behalf of all Canadians when I say I hope they can step it up.

polity4life
2011-05-04, 03:19 PM
Sorry for the absence. I just finished my last exam for my master's program. It only took two and a half years whilst working full-time and $40,000 of government subsidy. Huzzah!

The Wings need to get their faeces together. They are playing exactly the same kind of hockey that got them eliminated in 5 games last year, only this time they are healthy. Franzen needs to ride the pine. I don't care about his reputation for playoff performance. He is watching the puck and not going for it.

Babcock changed the first two lines, splitting Datsyuk and Zetterberg. They are as follows:

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Franzen
Bertuzzu - Zetterberg - Cleary

The exact same lines they had last year in the second round against the Sharks...ugh. The game tonight is their season. If they win, they will play on into the next round. If they lose, they may as well not show up Friday.

And how about those Bolts? I don't expect them to make it past the Bruins or Flyers, barring injury to any of the teams of course, but wouldn't it be something if they made it out of the East?

Gaius Marius
2011-05-04, 03:25 PM
Sorry for the absence. I just finished my last exam for my master's program. It only took two and a half years whilst working full-time and $40,000 of government subsidy. Huzzah!

The Wings need to get their faeces together. They are playing exactly the same kind of hockey that got them eliminated in 5 games last year, only this time they are healthy. Franzen needs to ride the pine. I don't care about his reputation for playoff performance. He is watching the puck and not going for it.

No kidding. 4 of my 6 playoff pool selection are from the Wings. I'm getting clobbered there :smallfrown:

Gaius Marius
2011-05-05, 08:19 AM
Dude, what's with the Wings?!?!?!

Seriously, do they need to be bitch-slapped into reality?!?! :smalleek:

polity4life
2011-05-09, 06:13 AM
Honestly, I have no clue what is up with that team. They come back healthy and just start bombing. I don't know how they weren't swept as San Jose is just outplaying them in almost every aspect of the game. The only thing the Wings have are the moments where they show that they have superior players and superior plays but those only come when they score. As for the penalty kill...I don't think I can comment without being banned. Any penalty against them is a goal and it has been since game 2 of the first round.

They're bringing it back to the Joe after literally stealing game 5. Maybe San Jose will still be a bit shellshocked and the Wings can grift another one.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-09, 08:08 AM
I seriously gotta stop picking my favourite teams in pools, it always screw them up. I have Vancouver and Detroit players in my playoff pool.. look what it got them :smalleek:

****** Bruins... :smallfurious:

polity4life
2011-05-09, 08:28 AM
Well if it's any consolation, Datsyuk and Howard are having amazing post-seasons. If Detroit can make it past San Jose and past either Nashville or Vancouver, then Howard must be considered for the Conn Smythe.

First, they need to win game six.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-09, 09:00 AM
Well if it's any consolation, Datsyuk and Howard are having amazing post-seasons. If Detroit can make it past San Jose and past either Nashville or Vancouver, then Howard must be considered for the Conn Smythe.

First, they need to win game six.

Well, 2 in a row isn't impossible.

But I am happy of the show of character they displayed yesterday. That's what gave Russia's junior their gold medal earlier this year.

polity4life
2011-05-09, 09:22 AM
Hopefully Thornton won't go wrist-hunting in game 6. He slashed Franzen with intent to injure and it upsets me that he wasn't called for it. Even though he is years separated, he is still Boston trash and proved it last night.

I will say that forcing Franzen to sit was probably the best thing that could happen for the Wings. He has been dogging it and needs to ride the pine.

polity4life
2011-05-10, 09:26 AM
So the nation has the opportunity to enjoy more Green Men antics taking place in British Columbia. The second round may close out tonight. Let's hope it goes a little longer!

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 09:30 AM
Hopefully Thornton won't go wrist-hunting in game 6. He slashed Franzen with intent to injure and it upsets me that he wasn't called for it. Even though he is years separated, he is still Boston trash and proved it last night.

I will say that forcing Franzen to sit was probably the best thing that could happen for the Wings. He has been dogging it and needs to ride the pine.

Boston is Boston. They get free passes.

Have you seen Ferenze's trying to take Halpern's head off in game 7?

shiram
2011-05-10, 10:04 AM
Boston is Boston. They get free passes.

Have you seen Ferenze's trying to take Halpern's head off in game 7?

You must not have heard the Boston annoucers and fans... Clearly it was Halpern that was at fault on that one. Ference was merely bracing against the hit and bla bla bla! :smallwink:

Nhl rules enforcement and reffing, you just cannot trust in it.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 10:11 AM
You must not have heard the Boston annoucers and fans... Clearly it was Halpern that was at fault on that one. Ference was merely bracing against the hit and bla bla bla! :smallwink:

Nhl rules enforcement and reffing, you just cannot trust in it.

Because Jack Edward and Boston fans have a reputation of being clear-headed fans? Objective?

Yhea, Halpern clearly provoked that hit. Deliberately. What a tool argument, about as good as "He ran into my knife 3 times"

shiram
2011-05-10, 10:16 AM
Well I'd say that any hockey fan is usually biased, and during the play-offs emtion do run high, and will leave it at that.

As for Edwards, well he makes me appreciate the guys we have on RDS, and that is saying something.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 10:19 AM
Well I'd say that any hockey fan is usually biased, and during the play-offs emtion do run high, and will leave it at that.

As for Edwards, well he makes me appreciate the guys we have on RDS, and that is saying something.

Well, the first thing I said is that Hockey is a very subjective and emotive game... so.. any evaluation of the game is open to interpretation and disagreements..

For example, a Bs fan "friend" (I'm putting a ? value on that friendship, seriously) told me the only reason the Habs gave trouble to the Bruins was because the Refs were sucking Montreal's ****.

I... was kinda put off by her brutal vulgarity. Plus, she's clearly a crazy bitch if she believes that.

shiram
2011-05-10, 10:31 AM
Well, the first thing I said is that Hockey is a very subjective and emotive game... so.. any evaluation of the game is open to interpretation and disagreements..

For example, a Bs fan "friend" (I'm putting a ? value on that friendship, seriously) told me the only reason the Habs gave trouble to the Bruins was because the Refs were sucking Montreal's ****.

I... was kinda put off by her brutal vulgarity. Plus, she's clearly a crazy bitch if she believes that.

That is annoying, and I too have a Bruin's fan, but he is mostly reasonable. He likes the B's mostly cause of Thomas, and I have to admit he is quite entertaining to watch, and he gets results as well, great although weird tender for sure.

But yea the rivalry between the 2 clubs has spouted some disgusting things, and I would not say the Habs fans are all innocent either. But after the season both clubs had and the incidents, well some just overreact.
I've mostly just been trying to avoid those conversations, it brings nothing good.

Anyways, to get us back on topic...
Canucks finally squeak past the Preds, and while some would say they are not looking great, they are still the Western team I cheer for. If the Sedins wake up, that would a very difficult team to play.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 10:42 AM
Anyways, to get us back on topic...
Canucks finally squeak past the Preds, and while some would say they are not looking great, they are still the Western team I cheer for. If the Sedins wake up, that would a very difficult team to play.

You noticed that among the 3 coaches that officially made it to the Conference Finals, they all are Quebecois? :smallbiggrin:

shiram
2011-05-10, 10:49 AM
You noticed that among the 3 coaches that officially made it to the Conference Finals, they all are Quebecois? :smallbiggrin:

That's true indeed, and they all have had ties with the Canadiens as well, Vigneault and Julien coached, and Boucher was coach for the Ahl affiliates.

polity4life
2011-05-11, 06:51 AM
Detroit: putting the entire league on hold because the Wings don't want to pick up their ball and go home. I'm loving it!

The Sharks phoned in that game, so it makes me wonder how they will respond in game 7. If the Wings emulate yesterday's hustle, then they may as well stay out there a day and go straight to Vancouver.

Switching to the East, I wonder how rusty the Lightning and Bruins will be when they finally get to play.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-11, 07:26 AM
Detroit: putting the entire league on hold because the Wings don't want to pick up their ball and go home. I'm loving it!

The Sharks phoned in that game, so it makes me wonder how they will respond in game 7. If the Wings emulate yesterday's hustle, then they may as well stay out there a day and go straight to Vancouver.

Switching to the East, I wonder how rusty the Lightning and Bruins will be when they finally get to play.

If the Wings really pull it off, you will really, really make the Bruins happy.

They were the only team since the Lockout to have let slipped a 3-0 lead... and the 3rd in NHL history.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-05-11, 01:41 PM
Henrik looked in quite a bit of pain on Monday so he's probably playing with something broken/injured. Does explain why the Sedins Henrik hasn't been doing too well these playoffs.

Does it surprise anyone that EA is so far 11 for 11 in their playoff predictions? And if San Jose wins, they'll be 12 for 12...

Joran
2011-05-11, 03:34 PM
Capitals fan here.

If the Red Wings win, then all attention will be off of us, right? Actually, I've been very impressed with the Western Conference so far. Whoever comes out of the West is going to be heads and shoulders better than whoever comes out of the East.

Also, I'm pretty sure I want to fire our coach. He of the best winning percentage among current coaches (in the regular season).

Gaius Marius
2011-05-11, 03:37 PM
Capitals fan here.

If the Red Wings win, then all attention will be off of us, right? Actually, I've been very impressed with the Western Conference so far. Whoever comes out of the West is going to be heads and shoulders better than whoever comes out of the East.

Also, I'm pretty sure I want to fire our coach. He of the best winning percentage among current coaches (in the regular season).

Would you have rather preferred to face the Habs, instead, if we had beaten the Bruins? :smallwink:

Joran
2011-05-11, 03:44 PM
Would you have rather preferred to face the Habs, instead, if we had beaten the Bruins? :smallwink:

To be honest, yes. I was hoping for Buffalo first, then Penguins, then Habs, then Lightning. Penguins would have been a brutal series, but they didn't have much in the way of offense. Buffalo was already walking dead with tons of injuries.

During the regular season, the Caps were 3-0-1 against the Habs with scores of 3-0, 2-3(SO), 4-2, 2-0. We seemed to match up well and for whatever reason, the Caps can't score against Roloson =P

I thought we'd do well against Tampa Bay and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

P.S. And there was no way we could have been Halaked again. "Priced out" maybe, but not Halaked.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-11, 03:45 PM
To be honest, yes. I was hoping for Buffalo first, then Penguins, then Habs, then Lightning. Penguins would have been a brutal series, but they didn't have much in the way of offense. Buffalo was already walking dead with tons of injuries.

During the regular season, the Caps were 3-0-1 against the Habs with scores of 3-0, 2-3(SO), 4-2, 2-0. We seemed to match up well and for whatever reason, the Caps can't score against Roloson =P

On the other hand, it might have been a repeat of last year, no? :smalltongue:

Joran
2011-05-11, 03:50 PM
On the other hand, it might have been a repeat of last year, no? :smalltongue:

You mean choke like dogs while our Power Play has as much punch as a 100 year old grandmother and our players decide to attack a trap individually? Thanks, but we experienced that again this year.

BTW, reasons why it sucks to be a Caps fan.

Record when up 2-0 in a best of seven series: 1-4 (with three of the losses against the Penguins).

Record when up 3-1 in a best of seven series: 6-4 (3 of those wins were in the Stanley Cup Finals run). Caps are also 3-7 on Game 5 when leading 3-1 =P

Gaius Marius
2011-05-11, 03:51 PM
You mean choke like dogs while our Power Play has as much punch as a 100 year old grandmother and our players decide to attack a trap individually? Thanks, but we experienced that again this year.

Hey, to be fair, we reduced the Bruins' Power Play to the same level of power. We had a perfect PK in 7 match..

Lord Loss
2011-05-11, 04:04 PM
A huge, huge Canadians fan! And we're out WAAAAH! WAAAAH!

My friend wore a Chara (Boston) jersey to school twice, one of the teachers asked him to leave the building for a moment. Once they were outside, he confiscated the Jersey and only gave it back at the end of the day. Another teacher told him that if he didn't take it off immediatley, she was lowering his mark on a test.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-05-11, 05:01 PM
My roommate is a Nashville fan (long story, don't ask). He was mostly pointed and laughed at when he wore his jersey outside/to work.

Yes, most Canucks fans are secretly 12 year olds. Nothing everyone hasn't known about for a while.

polity4life
2011-05-12, 08:49 PM
I'm beside myself right now...

Hey Red Wings, how did you win your last three games?

"Well, we carried the puck into the Offensive zone, kept pressure on the goalie, and took shots."

What are you doing now?

"Dump and chase, playing defensive hockey, and giving up ground."

That's what you did when you lost three straight, yes?

"You betcha."

Mkey.

polity4life
2011-05-12, 09:33 PM
BINGO BANGO! The most beautiful man in the world, Henrik Zetterberg, sinking a backhand into the back of the net on a 3-on-2! They're playing better now. Who would have thought playing offensive hockey would yield goals?

polity4life
2011-05-13, 08:01 AM
Crestfallen, confused, and angry: Those words describe me today. The Wings had their chances and just went flat, especially particular players (Hudler, Hudler, Hudler, Eaves, Hudler). It doesn't matter. The Canucks are going to sweep the Sharks.

shiram
2011-05-13, 08:25 AM
Crestfallen, confused, and angry: Those words describe me today. The Wings had their chances and just went flat, especially particular players (Hudler, Hudler, Hudler, Eaves, Hudler). It doesn't matter. The Canucks are going to sweep the Sharks.

That's hockey for you, if the results we're always certain, it would lose some if it's fun.
Great job by the Wings, taking it to game 7.
Sharks vs Canucks should be interesting.

cleric_of_BANJO
2011-05-16, 12:16 AM
These conference finals are making me happy. Tampa's win was definitely the highlight of my week, that is, until the Canucks just won. Damn, the bruins seem to be having a lot of trouble closing out scrappy teams - I'm more and more surprised that they didn't lose to the habs. In any case, they're toast, what I'm worried about now is that the Canucks keep their composure - I really don't want a repeat of the Blackhawks series, I have run out of nails to bite. I still don't think it's going to be easy - I'm calling it a game 6 victory by 1 goal, scored by either Kesler or Raymond - the Sharks are a very talented team, and they are not ready to go home yet. If the Sedins step up though, I don't see a single team that can beat the Canucks in a 7 game series. That is, unless Niemi plays like he did in the first couple of games against the Red Wings.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-16, 07:37 AM
These conference finals are making me happy. Tampa's win was definitely the highlight of my week, that is, until the Canucks just won. Damn, the bruins seem to be having a lot of trouble closing out scrappy teams - I'm more and more surprised that they didn't lose to the habs. In any case, they're toast, what I'm worried about now is that the Canucks keep their composure - I really don't want a repeat of the Blackhawks series, I have run out of nails to bite. I still don't think it's going to be easy - I'm calling it a game 6 victory by 1 goal, scored by either Kesler or Raymond - the Sharks are a very talented team, and they are not ready to go home yet. If the Sedins step up though, I don't see a single team that can beat the Canucks in a 7 game series. That is, unless Niemi plays like he did in the first couple of games against the Red Wings.

Breath in calmly. the Habs won the first 2 games. This single first game of TB/Boston doesn't mean that much.

Let's see how Boston bounce...

Gaius Marius
2011-06-16, 12:10 AM
Well, we sure discovered how the Bloody Bruins Bounced, eh?

Darn it. Of all the teams, it had to be them.

On the other hand, I gotta say the 'Nucks fought like pansies. The Habs seemed to have more heart than them.

Overall, I am proud that my team were the one who nearly eliminated them. 1 lucky bounce, and this wouldn't have happened.

However... Shame, Vancouver. Shame. :smallfrown:

shiram
2011-06-16, 08:26 AM
Yup Vancouver looked pretty weak during the finals.
But overall this finals was disapointing to me, and it showcased the bad decision taken on the ice, coupled with bad decision taken from the disciplinary committee.

But congratulations to the Bruins, they have won the Cup, and it was a tough and long journey for them.