PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Kiran

Pages : [1] 2 3

planswalker
2011-04-13, 02:51 AM
Her or DM Only. Puppetmaster will have you if you cheat.

"Hey! What are you lookin at?" The voice seems to be coming from a mask.

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 11:25 AM
OOC: It's Kiran.

Why, at you, of course.

planswalker
2011-04-13, 11:46 AM
"So what's it to you?"

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 01:24 PM
The masks and costumes here are quite wonderful. I'm potentially interested in acquiring one or two.For reference:
Eriz's Moon Shop
Leif Solvisson's Imports
Lukyan's Fine Ales, Wines, and Brews
Eystein's Eagles' Landing
Coolstoke Pendroke's
Orixe & Sons Florals
Valerik Leonideov and Magic
The Dancing Wizard
Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard
Cynric Birchwood's Fine Eatery
Lateef Zuberi and Friends
Magnild Demonman's Demon Fighting Imporium
Uriel's Supplies
Acennan the Wine Merchant
Seyyid's Darts
Arian the Warrior's General Goods
Brogan Wyrmseeker, Mapmaker Etraordinaire
Zivon the Elephant Tamer (and other exotic animals)

and the list goes on...

planswalker
2011-04-13, 02:25 PM
"Oh, a customer are you? Well, then, please pardon my rudeness. We get very few walk-ins." The mast from whom the voice emanated floated up and began to morph. Within a moment, an vague, humanoid form stood before you seemingly wearing the mask.

"Now then, what can I help you with?"

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 02:28 PM
Fascinating! How do you do that?! It's simply wonderful!

planswalker
2011-04-13, 02:44 PM
"What are you referring to? How do I disguise myself as a mask? Well, that's sort of a... trade secret as it were. Now then, what sort of costume do you seek?"

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 02:46 PM
A trade secret you say? What would be required of me to become an apprentice of your trade? It is indeed something beyond amazing to me.

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-04-13, 03:05 PM
"If you wish to be an apprentice, all you need do is sign the contract of apprenticeship and pay the standard five gold fee." From seemingly out of his own body, the odd being produces just such a contract. "I always keep a few on hand just in case."

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 03:07 PM
Do you mind if I take this with me to read later? I would like to look at a few masks and have a few other errands I need to run first.

planswalker
2011-04-13, 03:11 PM
"Of course. Any masks that catch your interest?"

you can make anything you want up here. As long as it's a mask of some sort, it's plausible to find it in this shop.

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 03:13 PM
She looks for a mask reminescent of a Quori (http://img83.imageshack.us/i/821604hp.jpg/sr=1) but made to look beautiful in the eyes of humanoids rather than grotesque.

planswalker
2011-04-13, 03:22 PM
"You have most interesting tastes, I must say. That piece was made with loving care, but none have dared buy it. Shall you be the one?"

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 03:28 PM
Indeed. How much is it?

planswalker
2011-04-13, 03:43 PM
"Alas, you have selected something rare and magical. It will cost you three thousand gold, and that price only because there is a portent that one such as yourself should have it."

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 03:45 PM
I have but half that amount...

planswalker
2011-04-13, 04:08 PM
"My dear girl, I would love to sell this to you, but I had to spend nearly that much to acquire this item. If I make no profit, I will go out of business, and there will be nowhere in the whole city where such fine items may be sold."

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 05:10 PM
Then I ask you to retain it but a short while that I might acquire the funds. This I shall do immediately.

Thanking him, she proceeds to Eystein's Eagles' Landing.

planswalker
2011-04-13, 05:12 PM
leaving the shop takes you back out on the City Streets.

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 08:17 PM
She goes to each shop getting a quick description, and if none of them provide private threads, she'll decide what to do then.

planswalker
2011-04-13, 08:41 PM
Several of them provide private threads. In fact, each and every one has that potential if the right questions are asked and the person cares to put forth the rp effort.

If you want the rp benefit of having made that many meaningful contacts, you'll have to put for the rp effort.

if all you want is a vague description of what's in each shop, your post will be sufficient to do that.

keep in mind, I'm having to come up with what's in each and every one of those shops myself.

Jeriah
2011-04-13, 08:53 PM
Brief descriptions are sufficient. I'll RP the ones that would grab Kiran's interest more fully. Is that okay?

planswalker
2011-04-14, 09:37 AM
that's great. I just needed a bit of direction to figure out what to do, since I don't really want to have to do each and every one individually.

Eriz's Moon Shop - the shop with all sorts of masks and costumes. an odd creature that seems to have a mask for a face runs it. Apparently, most of his clients are by appointment. he has a quori mask that he is interested in selling to you.

Leif Solvisson's Imports - imported nick-nacks from all over the kingdom and beyond. The owner is not there when you enter and the employees seem unaware of the fact that the owner is missing.

Lukyan's Fine Ales, Wines, and Brews - a wine shop that specializes in selling alcohols to the middle class.

Eystein's Eagles' Landing - a boarding house deluxe residence suites. The orc who runs it seems to be troubled.

Coolstoke Pendroke's - a metalworks shop that fronts the products of the Smiths' Guild. lack of production at the needle mines have lead to poor business.

Orixe & Sons Florals - a flower shop that sells enchanted flowers.

Valerik Leonideov and Magic - A wizard whose spell services are for hire. He has several novices underneath him. He claims that no job is impossible.

The Dancing Wizard - inn that you have reserved a room in for a month

Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard - A rather bawdy tavern. The owner seems to be at odds with the owner of the Wizard.

Cynric Birchwood's Fine Eatery - A restaurant that specializes in exotic meats such as leviathon, dire elk, and hydra.

Lateef Zuberi and Friends - The door is unlocked, but no one is inside. Three doors along each wall besides the one you came in on each have a different symbol on them.

Magnild Demonman's Demon Fighting Imporium - A shop where the owner arranges gladiatorial matches with demons. And takes bets on them. When asked how this could possibly be legal, he changes the subject.

Uriel's Supplies - An adventuring supply store under the liscense of Stefan Pirner. The owner mentions off-handedly that someone has been troubling business with merchants recently.

Acennan the Wine Merchant - Another alcohol vendor, this one specializing in fine elven wines. He seems contemptuous of the taverns and Lukyan's.

Seyyid's Darts - All sorts of thrown weapons for sale. The halfling who owns it is quite friendly.

Arian the Warrior's General Goods - A grocer who is an ex-adventurer.

Brogan Wyrmseeker, Mapmaker Etraordinaire - A mapseller who claims to have been all over the world and back.

Zivon the Elephant Tamer (and other exotic animals) - An animal seller who has just about any animal imaginable for sale, or so he claims. "If I don't currently have it and it exists, I can get one to you by next week, or I pay you for the privilege."

Jeriah
2011-04-15, 03:46 PM
Kiran enters Brogan Wyrmseeker, Mapmaker Etraordinaire and speaks to the owner, inquiring about his maps.

planswalker
2011-04-16, 12:07 AM
"Ah, yes, milady, I have maps of anywhere you can imagine, all guaranteed to be authentic and accurate or double your money back. And I have never had a dissatisfied customer."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 01:10 AM
They must be fine maps indeed if you can make such a guarantee. Tell me, can you provide me a map of this city?

planswalker
2011-04-16, 01:21 AM
"Why of course. I can provide you a map to meet any budget or any quality, whatever you desire."

And, while indicating to bring any such discussions back to the back room, he said, "Of course, my magical maps abide by all city regulations and getting your hand on a map of the city which shoed you things that are illegal to track is impossible."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 01:35 AM
Oh! I didn't even know that there were regulations on maps. Could you please expand on that?

Also, what of these magical maps?

planswalker
2011-04-16, 01:38 AM
"Non-magical maps are required to not show detailed parts of sensitive city areas, neither may they detail the specific defenses of the city within the past ten years."

"Magical maps, though, have umpteen thousand regulations on them of all sorts of things the magical arts are not allowed to show you on a map. And I know them all by heart."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 02:22 AM
Well, what can a magical map show?

planswalker
2011-04-16, 02:52 AM
"Legally? Only a constantly-updated version of a non-magical one. Within the boundaries of magic? Almost anything."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 10:00 AM
Kiran attempts to gain more information as well as hint that she might want an illegal magic map.

The way you keep mentioning the legality of maps, it seems as if you've had dealings with such dubious maps in the past...

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-04-16, 11:25 AM
"Why, a man cannot be faulted for his past. I assure you, I have a clean record in this city." He says as he steps into a back room and motions for you to follow.

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 12:36 PM
Kiran follows him back

planswalker
2011-04-16, 12:50 PM
You and he sit at opposite ends of a table. A mapmaker's press is at one end of the room, and various maps hang about the walls. Some of them seem to be moving.

"Now, then, what sort of map do you really want? If the rules did not apply, that is."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 02:15 PM
If rules did not apply, I would want a map that showed the city in detail, including current location of the person to whom I wish to speak at the moment. However, I'm certain that is far from legal and beyond what I expect to be possible.

[roll0]I keep rolling 15 on my diplomacies with this guy. Can I just start taking 15 on it with him? :smalltongue:

planswalker
2011-04-16, 02:33 PM
"Well, maps that detail any area not being actively protected against powerful scrying is quite feasible. Majority of the city outside the noble's quarter is unprotected, and quite a bit of the nobles as well."

"As to maps to track people. there are a thousand ways to do so. I can make one that tracks one specific person without their being aware, unless they can be made aware of one scrying them. I can make a map that allows one to be familiar with anyone in the city, allowing them to scry for themselves quite easily. I also can make a map that is keyed to show small devices made for it which show up on the map. Slip it on your target and they will show up on your map. On a smaller scale than the city itself, I could even make you a map that shows all persons seeking your harm. What specifically do you wish to do with this map, theoretically, provided that the rules don't apply."

Jeriah
2011-04-16, 04:17 PM
Oh, I'm not worried about danger or trying to use the map for anything nefarious. I just would want to keep track of friends and allies in the area so I don't have to spend much time looking around for them. Say, purely for example, I wished to bump into you and suggest that you buy me lunch, having a map to show me your location if you're not here in the shop would be invaluable.

planswalker
2011-04-16, 07:46 PM
"A map to track friends. The simplest one uses a blood pact. Anyone who willingly places a drop of his blood on that map will be tracked. The blood shall be used as ink which tracks he from whom it flowed. Will that suffice?"

planswalker
2011-04-16, 07:47 PM
"A map to track friends. The simplest one uses a blood pact. Anyone who willingly places a drop of his blood on that map will be tracked. The blood shall be used as ink which tracks he from whom it flowed. Will that suffice?"

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 02:20 PM
She cringes at the offer and goes a bit pale. Swallowing hard, Kiran speaks.

Do you have anything less... gruesome? I really don't do well with blood.

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 03:54 PM
Shows that I replied, but my last reply isn't showing up...

planswalker
2011-04-17, 07:10 PM
"After the single drop of blood is used, it becomes as ink. However, if even that miniscule amount is too much for you, well, there are other ones. Most others require at least a little arcane talent. Have you any prowess with magic in some form?"

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 07:19 PM
I'm familiar with them, but I can't call myself a student of the arcane.

planswalker
2011-04-17, 07:37 PM
"Well, without some means of supernatural manipulation, I have no way of adding people into a map once it's created. Now, with a token from those you wish, I can add people into a map as its being made."

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 07:38 PM
Hmm... tell me more about these non-token maps?

planswalker
2011-04-17, 07:40 PM
what do you mean by non-token maps?

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 07:42 PM
I meant the maps that I could potentially add to myself without him. Sorry if I'm unclear.

planswalker
2011-04-17, 07:44 PM
"Well, almost any means of manipulating reality supernaturally, collectively called magic, can be used to add an identity of a person to a map. The exact means of doing so can vary widely, depending on the exact methods desired."

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 07:46 PM
Let's say I have a friend capable of doing so, but I can't really explain exactly how she does it. Could a generic alterable map be made without increasing the cost by too much?

planswalker
2011-04-17, 11:27 PM
"Tracking maps have to be rather specific, or they're useless. Maps that can be made to be canvases as well where one can add their own embellishments with just the most meager trace of talent are quite possible, but true tracking in real time is temperamental magic."

Jeriah
2011-04-17, 11:46 PM
I believe she uses something called "scionick." Could a map be based on that?

[roll0] to feign ignorance

planswalker
2011-04-18, 12:18 AM
"Psionics? Yes, I guess. Not all too common in this city, but doable. Have her come by and she and I can figure out how exactly to do the trigger to work to her strengths - Should anyone make said hypothetical map."

Jeriah
2011-04-18, 12:31 AM
Kiran pouts.

You'd rather do business with her? B-But I thou... And y-you...

Her face grows cold.

Fine. I'll send her by later, sir.

planswalker
2011-04-18, 12:37 AM
He looks most penitent. "Mistress, I swear, I'd much rather do business with you, but, frankly, if you don't even know how to pronounce it, how am I supposed to be able to work with you to discover how to fine-tune a True Tracking map to fit her talents? Please explain to me how I can make you happy."

Jeriah
2011-04-18, 01:08 AM
She stares at him icily and says.

I'll send her in later to discuss my map. I am sorry to have taken up so much of your time with my silly questions.

She stands as if to leave.

Is there anything else I should know?

planswalker
2011-04-18, 01:43 AM
"Well, other than the fact that they aren't cheap, no. Look, I'd love to cut out a middlewoman as much as you do, but if you don't have supernatural talents of any sort and don't like blood magic, I'll need to work with someone who does to get you your map."

Jeriah
2011-04-18, 01:57 AM
She thanks him and leaves, muttering "sooo dense" in a sad tone just loud enough for him to hear.

Kiran then proceeds to Orixe & Sons Florals.

planswalker
2011-04-18, 02:22 AM
A young man in his lower twenties greets you amorously, "Ah, milady, would you care for a lovely rose? Its beauty is almost shamed next to yours, so great is your radiance."

Jeriah
2011-04-18, 11:02 AM
Why, yes, thank you!

planswalker
2011-04-18, 11:06 AM
"For you, the cost is simply to continue living, for beauty such as yours is wealth innumerable to behold."

Jeriah
2011-04-18, 12:20 PM
And what is so special about this rose?

planswalker
2011-04-19, 12:28 AM
"Alas, this rose itself is a quite humble affair, one that merely does not wither and smells ever fresh. A simple humility to complement the complex greatness of your figure. Shall it be my gift to you?"

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 10:26 AM
Very well, thank you.

planswalker
2011-04-19, 12:13 PM
The young man hands you the rose and is about to move as if to try and kiss you when a middle-aged man who other than a slightly large gut could be the twin of the amorous man before you says, "Graxil, stop pestering the customers and giving away my flowers. Your brother needs help in the back with the tulips he's preparing. Give him a hand and stop harassing my customers."

As the Graxil expresses mortal pain at such parting, he heads to the back room.

The father turns to you and says, "Please don't mind my son, he acts so to all the pretty young ladies that come through. Do keep the rose, though. It suits you. Now then, I doubt you walked in here seeking to be flattered by an over-enthusiastic clerk. I am Orixe, owner of this humble shop. What brings you by on this fine day?"

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 02:36 PM
No harm, really. I entered out of curiosity, but I remained because his antics were slightly... amusing.

Quite honestly, I have never encountered an enchanted flower before, and they have quite caught my attention. I would so love to know if they are grown naturally enchanted or if it is some latter process which causes them to be such.

planswalker
2011-04-19, 02:42 PM
"Why, we have several different varieties. SOme are naturally growing magical flowers. Others have spells woven into them asthey grow. Others are simply flowers that we enchant ourselves, such as the rose you now hold."

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 02:45 PM
Kiran looks slightly disappointed with her new rose.

Oh... having it enchanted later rather than naturally occurring takes some of the romance out of it.

planswalker
2011-04-19, 02:47 PM
"Well, yes. The rose you hold is enchanted to not decay over time, remaining always fresh. Nothing living is immortal, including flowers. If we could grow immortal roses, milady, I assure you that we would."

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 02:48 PM
Well, what naturally magical flower do you carry?

planswalker
2011-04-19, 02:52 PM
"Well, we have flowers that aid the eye in seeing the finest parts of the one bearing it, flowers that make all around the holder believe them, flowers that can aid the wearer to remain in good health, resist curses, and even give you superior luck."

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 02:56 PM
Fascinating. What if I just want to be able to make friends based on myself rather than just my appearance? Do you ahve any flowers that would make them more interested in what I say and do?

planswalker
2011-04-19, 09:24 PM
"Indeed I do. Would you prefer a red or green flower?"

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 10:28 PM
I would prefer a green one.

planswalker
2011-04-19, 10:35 PM
"Very well." He turns his head back and calls out "Hernix, Get me a Green Love Orchid!"

He turns back to you. "It's not really an orchid, and doesn't create true love, but a poet named it."

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 10:37 PM
So, what does it do?

planswalker
2011-04-19, 10:45 PM
"It's actually a low-intensity field vector enchantment which causes those in the vicinity to notice your positive body language and words and de-emphasizes the more negative aspects, helping your words to be the best they can. Now, random drivel still won't make you a master orator, but people won't notice your occasional untimely pauses or verbalisms. And they'll still make their judgments on your words as they normally would, but you won't be hindered by the minor technical flaws that most speech has."

Jeriah
2011-04-19, 11:16 PM
Well, that sounds... good. What does it cost me?

planswalker
2011-04-19, 11:36 PM
At that, the owner looks pained. "Well, chances are, if you have to ask, you cannot afford it. This particular flower is ten thousand gold."

Jeriah
2011-04-20, 12:05 AM
That seems a bit steep for a flower that will simpky fade in time, unless it is similarly enchanted as is the rose. If that is indeed the case, I shall return for it soon.

planswalker
2011-04-20, 12:20 AM
"All our flowers are preserved to last through the lifetime of an elf or we pay you back double. Barring, of course, that you don't actively try to destroy it. And if you have that sort of money, I'd love to sell you anything you want."

Jeriah
2011-04-20, 11:01 AM
Kiran heads back to where she found the Tiefling and Aasimar fighting. If they are still there, she will intervene. She enters the alley from a different direction and tries to stay out of sight of the street, like around a corner. She then calls out to them.

Hold, sirs! Why dost thou battle in the streets?

planswalker
2011-04-21, 01:03 AM
They are, and they ignore when she calls out to them.

Jeriah
2011-04-21, 01:12 AM
She picks up a small rock or other object and throws it at them.

planswalker
2011-04-21, 01:24 AM
attack roll please.

also, mind giving me your saving throw mods?

Jeriah
2011-04-21, 02:37 AM
Er, I'm not trying to hit them, just get their attention.
[roll0]

You don't have my character sheet link?

planswalker
2011-04-21, 09:52 AM
The rock skitters by their feet, and they ignore it.

the attack roll was to see if you landed the rock in their square. not a hard ac to beat, but an important one.

Jeriah
2011-04-21, 09:27 PM
How big is this alley?

planswalker
2011-04-23, 07:36 AM
10' wide, give or take.

Jeriah
2011-04-30, 04:11 PM
sorry! got busy and forgot about this!Kiran looks around and tries to spot someone potentially creating this scene as an illusion. [roll0]

If that fails, she uses a talented overchannel and her 5 power link shards and torc of power preservation to manifest a 9th level astral construct (huge: constrict, extra buff, improved slam, mobility, and muscle)

[roll1]

If they still don't react, the construct attacks the tiefling.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

planswalker
2011-04-30, 11:45 PM
The construct tears through the illusions, breaking their images right before it falls through a trap. A man steps out of the shadows that you hadn't noticed, and says, "Well, fine. If you're that determined to overcome the illusions, okay. What is your business here?"

Jeriah
2011-05-01, 05:49 PM
Kiran orders the construct up out of the trap. [roll0]

I really disliked that illusion. Tell me, what was its purpose?

planswalker
2011-05-02, 10:41 AM
"To occupy people's attention while my brothers took care of business."

Jeriah
2011-05-02, 03:00 PM
And what business is that?

She mentally orders the construct to wait a few seconds and then attack if she gives it no further orders.

planswalker
2011-05-03, 12:04 AM
"Business that's none of yours. You don't want to get involved."

He begins casting a spell.

Jeriah
2011-05-03, 01:33 PM
The construct attacks with nonlethal damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Kiran waits just long enough to see if the construct is successful before deciding whether or not to manifest a power this round.

planswalker
2011-05-03, 02:11 PM
Your construct successfully knocks the mage senseless. He is unconscious.

Jeriah
2011-05-03, 02:35 PM
She looks around to see if anyone is watching then drags him back further into the alley, looking for a place to stash him. Once well out of sight, she searches the unconscious mage.

planswalker
2011-05-04, 12:15 AM
In the robe is a pouch of dust. Other than that, all he has is ten gold.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 12:21 AM
Kiran takes both, looks closer for a spell component pouch, and takes that too if she finds it. She again looks around for a place to stash him as the construct vanishes.

planswalker
2011-05-04, 12:31 AM
He does not have a pouch. He does, however, have a small amulet that has runes carved in it. Residual magics can mimic the energy signatures of the minor spell components.

a reflavored spell component pouch that does the same thing.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 12:40 AM
Naturally, she takes it. She's still trying to find a place to stash the unconscious body, such as a trash receptacle or empty crate or just really dark corner with no light.

planswalker
2011-05-04, 12:57 AM
There appear to be no light sources in the alley itself. There is a corner between two buildins just wide enough to place it sideways.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 12:58 AM
She grumbles to herself at not finding anything better, and instead pushes him into the hole trap that her construct earlier fell into. She then retreats back into the shadows to watch for the man's "brother."

planswalker
2011-05-04, 01:07 AM
my dice hated on you for the sensory rolls and loved the attacker's attack rolls.

You feel a sharp pain in your neck. When you put your hand up to the wound, you feel a thin needle that has punctured it. You begin to feel wobbly and light-headed.

you take [roll0] from the critical strike and [roll1] from the sneak attack.

make a fortitude save.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 01:17 AM
[roll0]

Assuming she's still alive and conscious, she takes a step back and manifests another 9th-level astral construct, this time [roll1] it to have a hollow spot in its chest that is just her size and forming around her.

planswalker
2011-05-04, 01:23 AM
sadly, the poison dc is 13

Your world falls into darkness. You fall unconscious.

You awaken tied down to a chair, stripped of everything but but a gray robe of rough material. You feel sores and bruises all over your head.

A halfling with a pair of tongs in his hand says, "The Jacks don't appreciate it when someone interferes with what isn't their business. Care to explain why?"

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 01:26 AM
Kiran simply stares at him for a moment as her head clears.

I was under the impression that he was with another group whom I have been hunting. I was misled.

[roll0]What's with my low rolls. :smallmad:

planswalker
2011-05-04, 01:28 AM
I need a will save from you before I can respond. For some reason, my pre-crafted plans overlooked the chance that you'd lie to them.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 01:31 AM
{sigh} [roll0]

planswalker
2011-05-04, 01:52 AM
"Very well. Next time, don't interfere in what isn't your business."

You are hit on the head from behind, and fall unconscious again.

You wake back up in the street with all our gear and clothing. However, your gold is gone and a note is left reading:

be glad you didn't kill him. Next time, more than bruises will be given and more than gold will be taken.

You do however, gain 1000 xp.

Jeriah
2011-05-04, 02:07 AM
I'd rather have had the gold...

I've got to figure out what to do now and it's too late to do it now. Goodnight.

planswalker
2011-05-05, 01:23 AM
I'm aware, but, trust me, you won't stay bankrupt for long.

Jeriah
2011-05-05, 01:05 PM
At a loss for what to do now, she decides to randomly kill people just for fun... or maybe look for some way to make money in a more socially acceptable manner.

Jeriah
2011-05-06, 12:35 AM
I'm at a personal mental block right now. Do you have any suggestions?

planswalker
2011-05-06, 12:47 AM
um... I'm not sure what your character would want to do either.

Jeriah
2011-05-06, 12:47 AM
At this point, she wants to earn money for the mask primarily, then she wants to destroy the Jacks.

planswalker
2011-05-06, 01:12 AM
so, then, do you think you might be interested in doing both at once? Find someone who wants to end the jacks and have them pay you for your pleasure?

Jeriah
2011-05-06, 02:07 PM
Yeah, she does that.

planswalker
2011-05-06, 02:13 PM
so, then, what IC action does she do that needs a reaction?

Jeriah
2011-05-09, 01:15 PM
She tries to find someone who will pay her to kill all the Jacks.

planswalker
2011-05-10, 09:22 AM
She hears rumors that the City Watch is giving a bounty to anyone who brings in a member of the Jacks alive.

As well, the Kobolds are offering a bounty on dead ones.

Jeriah
2011-05-10, 12:27 PM
She approaches the City Watch to see how much they're offering.

She then tries to track down the Kobolds to ask them.

planswalker
2011-05-13, 11:33 PM
City watch offers 100 for any low-level criminals, 350 for their thieves, and the bounty on the more elite members ranges from 500 for Knarl the Knee to 20,000 for Jimmy the Hand. If one can catch the Dayman or Nightman, it's said they're worth 25,000 apiece.

Information from the kobolds themselves will require tracking down their lair and speaking with them.

Jeriah
2011-05-14, 04:53 AM
Severely tempted to just start indiscriminately slaughtering the Jacks, she tries to track down the Kobolds.

planswalker
2011-05-17, 09:56 PM
Doing so will require either a sufficient gather info, some rp, or such.

Jeriah
2011-05-31, 07:28 PM
Let's give this a try.
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-06-01, 02:59 AM
Your only lead is that the leader of the kobolds enjoy gnomes. Served rare. If you were to find out about a place where many gnomes died, you're likely to find a lead on kobolds.

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 12:40 AM
Kiran heads to the nearest guard house and looks for someone in charge.

planswalker
2011-06-02, 01:18 AM
The sergeant outside says, "How can the Watch help you?"

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 01:41 AM
I'm doing research into past crimes trying to determine if I can work out any patterns. I have this theory that future crimes can be prevented by studying past ones. I was wondering if it would be possible to review notes on past crimes.

planswalker
2011-06-02, 02:09 AM
"Well, you'd want to speak to the captain of the watch then."

He kindly gives you directions to the Fortress, where he has his office inside.

"Be sure to make an appointment though. As neat as I'm sure your theory is, you'll want to use the proper channels."

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 02:12 AM
Can you help me with that or at least direct me to the person who can?

planswalker
2011-06-02, 02:35 AM
"His aide is willing to do that at the Fortress."

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 02:41 AM
Thank you, sir! You've been a great help.

She bows semi-formally to him and is indeed very grateful.

planswalker
2011-06-02, 02:44 AM
he gives her a nod in returns. "Best Wishes."

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 02:46 AM
She heads to the Fortress... wherever that is...

planswalker
2011-06-02, 02:56 AM
it's the island stronghold in the middle of the river between the city proper and the docks.

She arrives at the Stronghold.

Jeriah
2011-06-02, 02:58 AM
Unsure of how to proceed, she stops one of the guards.

I was directed here to make an appointment with someone who could allow me to look at records of crimes. Could you direct me to the right place?

planswalker
2011-06-02, 04:19 PM
"Well, the Captain can help you out there. His office is down the hall, take a right at the first intersection, third door on your left. Knock before you enter. His secretary will be able to help you out."

Jeriah
2011-06-03, 02:49 AM
Thank you, sir.

She follows the directions to find the secretary.

planswalker
2011-06-03, 02:55 AM
She finds the secretary.

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 09:56 PM
Good morning, sir! I'm interested in doing some research on past crimes to see if a pattern can be discovered and used to prevent future crimes. I was told that gaining permission for that required meeting with the Captain and that you could arrange that meeting for me.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:11 PM
"Yes. Want an appointment?"

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 10:24 PM
Yes, sir, very much so. What do I need to do to obtain one?

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:26 PM
"Will next week on Friday at 3:00 work?"

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 10:29 PM
I was hoping for something earlier, because crime just doesn't wait; however, I am willing to work around his schedule.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:30 PM
"He'll see you next Friday at 3."

btw, in-game time is Saturday morning.

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 10:33 PM
Frustrated, she attacks everyone thanks the lady politely and sees herself out.

She looks around as much as she can in the Fortress before leaving.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:35 PM
Very few places are restricted, and the Fortress is quite large.

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 10:36 PM
Well, starting from where she is, she looks towards where she entered the Fortress and walks the opposite direction.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:39 PM
Walking backwards? Kiran finds that the hallway she is in intersects others regularly every 20 feet. She also learns that this corridor is about 200 feet long.

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 10:47 PM
She walks to the end of it, looking down each hallway as she passes.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 10:50 PM
To your left, the hallways end after about twenty feet. To your right, they seem to go on another eighty.

Jeriah
2011-06-04, 11:07 PM
INtrigued, she takes the fourth such hallway to her left.

planswalker
2011-06-04, 11:46 PM
There are three doors along each side of the hall, and it ends in a blank wall.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 09:25 PM
She walks up to the wall and pushes on it.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 09:35 PM
She pushes against a solid stone wall.

Nothing happens.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 09:37 PM
Bored, she walks around a bit more then tries to open a random door.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 09:39 PM
[roll0]

Behind the door you open there is...

a tielfilng male making out with a changeling woman. At least, you assume her appearance shifts every few seconds because she's a changeling.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 09:40 PM
[roll0]

fillerrrrrrrrr

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 10:03 PM
She quickly closes the door and leaves the Fortress. Heading back to the Plaza, she enters the Sad Flint.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:08 PM
On her way to the Sad Flint, she sees a woman shouting "Please! Help me! They stole my babies?"

From her dress and lack of hygene, it is apparent that she is poor. The pair of local guardsmen seem to be unable to see her from how much they regard her pleas.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 10:27 PM
She approaches the woman.

Who stole them and when? May I help you in some way?

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:33 PM
Seeming surprised but infinitely grateful to be acknowledged, she says, "Last night, after I went to bed. I heard the twins crying, and when I rushed to their cradles, they were gone. Please, help me. My husband disappeared two nights ago. He was working the docks, and didn't come home when his shift was supposed to end. Please, help me. If I lose my babies too, I just don't know what I'll do."

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 11:02 PM
Perhaps you could show me where this happened?

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:11 PM
"Yes. Follow me." She leads you to a small set of run down apartments near the city walls about five blocks from the gate out to the Fortress, on the other side of which is the Docks.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 11:13 PM
She looks in on the scene where the "twins" were.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:18 PM
It is a bedroom converted into a nursery, where a pair of cradles sit with blankets disturbed. Overturned furniture and handmade toys lead a trail to a window.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 11:22 PM
She examines everything casually from a distance without bothering to even bend over and touch it. Idly, she nudges one of the toys with her toe as she moves towards the window to look out.

I'm sorry if my character is boring to DM. It's just that she's a rather disinterested individual in general but highly motivated when she finds a particular purpose and finds a way to pursue it. Until then, she's just kind of aimless. If she finds something that actually applies to her goals, she'll be much less boring. Really...

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:24 PM
and if you'd remind from time to time what her goals are, I'll try to make sure she's nudged that direction.

The window has been shut, but after a moment, you realize that the window panes themselves have been removed.

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 11:30 PM
Short term: Buy the mask
Mid term: Destroy the Jacks
Long term: Bring the city under Quori control.

Any ideas of where they might have been taken or who took them?

Jeriah
2011-06-05, 11:43 PM
Was that sufficient, or did you want more details on those goals?

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:50 PM
that's sufficient. I'm just multitasking and it's slowing me down to a crawl.

"No, I don't know."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 12:03 AM
No ideas at all? No hints, no suggestions, no thoughts at all?

planswalker
2011-06-06, 12:16 AM
She seems to be in a state of semi-shock, all reason she possesses barely enough to keep her panic from overwhelming her. Perhaps if you ask around with the locals, you will learn more.

"I-I don't know. I just don't know." She says, nearly breaking into tears.

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 12:54 AM
Kiran grabs the woman by the shoulders and shakes her violently for a moment.
These are your children and you don't know anything?!?!

planswalker
2011-06-06, 01:50 AM
She takes a deep breath and calms down. "Thank you. Panic had nearly overtaken me. I have no clue who could have done this. My husband and I had just recently moved into town. He found that there was day work to be had in the docks, at a good wage. We were saving up to buy ourselves a house of our own. Almost had enough collateral to get a loan from the bank. Only another month. Now, my husband is dead, and my children are missing, and I don't know why."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 01:52 AM
Did anything else happen of note? Did he go someplace new? To a different part of the Docks? At a different time of day? Did he mention anything unusual? I need details if I am to find your missing children. Tell me everything you know.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:05 AM
"Well, this latest job kept him working until nearly sundown the past week. I don't know where all in the docks his jobs take him. Most the ones before this were morning jobs, though. This evening job's pay was twice the morning jobs, and the extra time in the mornings with him was nice."

She looks mortified for a moment. "You don't think his new job killed him, do you? I'd been pushing him to try and find a better-paying job, saying that living so close to the tanners was unhealthy for the boys. Besides, as a freeman he could get a voice in the council, and that would let him petition the guilds to consider re-training him."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 02:07 AM
Did he stay out after dark? Aren't the Docks particularly dangerous after dark? I think I heard that somewhere...

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:14 AM
"He said his boss told him to be sure he was indoors before dark, when they shut the gate. Rumors from the other workers in his work crew was that demons came out at night to kill anyone walking the streets. Since the gate to the Docks is locked at night anyways and he likes being able to come home to his wife and kids, it had not been an issue before. Although he did have a close call a week ago. Almost didn't get to the gates in time."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 02:18 AM
Okay, so, your encouraging him to stay out late for better pay is probably why he was running late so often, and it's probably what got him killed. It's your fault he's dead.

It's probably your fault your children are missing too. What did you do to make that happen? You know, you don't even deserve to get them back. Still, I'm going to try to find them for their own sake and hope that you take better care of them this time.

Kiran's face remains completely neutral, but inside, she's grinning like a schoolgirl.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:28 AM
She stares at you for a moment, looking as if she's about to break, then fire and steel shine in her eyes, as well as a hatred. "Get out. Leave now. I do not need some arrogant fancy noble walking in here and blaming me for his death. I do that enough myself. Either find and rescue my sons for me, or get out of my way. Either way, I will not put up with your insults."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 02:31 AM
And now that you're thinking more clearly, tell me what I need to know to find them.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:33 AM
"If you want to know more about what happened, as the other men in his work crew. most of them live in the Docks. I know three of them live in an inn called the Seedy Sailor just along the Waterfront. You should still have a few hours left before the gates close for the night."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 02:39 AM
And that's what I needed. Thank you.

Kiran waits until dawn before heading to the inn to locate them. After all, based on what the woman told her, she does not intend to get caught out there after dark.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:51 AM
At dawn, the gates to the Docks open up, and you find your way to the Seedy Sailor. There, the inkeeper hears your descriptions of the men you are looking for. "Sure, I know them. Upstairs, second door to your left. Knock loudly for me, will you? Stupid drunks stayed up half the night drinking and carrying on."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 04:12 AM
Kiran spends a round to summon a geodite via the elemental steward power. She stands a little ways back from the door and has her geodite bang on the door as loud as possible until they open the door or for three rounds, whichever happens first. Kiran readies an action each round to manifest energy bolt if anyone tries to attack her directly.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 10:14 AM
A drunked and dirty man opens the door and says, "We hear you. Stop making that racket."

his language then devolves into a brief round of cursing you and the evil god who created the sun.

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 05:08 PM
She directs the geodite to punch him once.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Now listen up! I want answers, and I'm not leaving until I get the answers I want.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 06:52 PM
Your envoy misses, but it seems to have sobered him up a bit.

"Okay, okay! I've got answers. Just tell your crazy monster thing to back off!"

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 07:00 PM
She describes the man and the events the woman described.

Now, tell me who he is and what happened to him and anything else I need or want to know.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 07:15 PM
"His name was George. We were late getting off work. We told him to come stay with us, that he wouldn't make it in time, but he insisted that he could make it back in time. He didn't report in tomorrow morning. The damned skulks will grab you at night, and you won't be seen for a week. Then bits of you show up all over the docks. They don't attack you if you stay indoors."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 07:55 PM
And why would her children go missing the next night from within her home?

planswalker
2011-06-06, 08:00 PM
"I don't know. Maybe the skulks have a thing for twins?"

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 08:30 PM
Do skulks force their way into houses to steal children often?

planswalker
2011-06-06, 08:33 PM
"Actually, they've never broken into someone's house before that I know of."

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 09:04 PM
Well, the panes of glass were removed, and the children missing. Any ideas on what happened?

planswalker
2011-06-06, 09:25 PM
"I don't know. That honestly sounds more like something the - " He breaks off mid-sentence and looks scared. He makes a move as if to close the door.

Jeriah
2011-06-06, 10:47 PM
The geodite is in the way, and Kiran takes a stance to attack as well.

Speak, or you won't survive long enough for them to do anything to you.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 12:08 AM
"Please no. They know me by name, and they'll kill me if they found out I switched sides. The Jacks are terrible!"

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 12:21 AM
The Jacks, eh? Tell me all that you know about them, or I will kill you now.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 12:31 AM
"What's this racket about?" One of the other two said, moaning as he got up.

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 01:04 AM
This man is apparently a member of the evil Jacks gang, and he was cooperating with me. Are you a Jack too? If so, I might have to just kill all of you.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 01:13 AM
"Listen, lady, no one needs to die!" the first man says desparately.

"Look, the pay in the docks is enough to live, but not enough to ever hope of leaving. The jacks pay us occasionally to keep an eye out and tell them if someone comes by our place. Another couple of jobs, and we can leave this hellhole."

The first one tenses at these words, almost as if he's hiding something.

The third one groans, you hear a massive thud, and he stands. If he is human, you're a gnome. That one has more than a little ogre in him.

"What the noise?"

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 01:18 AM
Her first geodite has only one round left on him, so she summons another one as she talks.

Look, one of your coworkers disappeared a few nights ago, now the windows have been removed and his children stolen in the night, leaving a desperate widow. I'm looking for answers, and I'm not leaving until I get some.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 01:22 AM
"Babies gone?" the half-ogre asks.

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 01:35 AM
Yes, two babies gone.

The new geodite arrives as the previous one disappears.

Kiran readies an action to manifest energy bolt if they move to attack her.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 02:06 AM
"That is mean." He turns to the one who is hiding something and says, "Tell her. Now."

"Wait, what is there to tell?" The other one asks. "Have the two of you held out on me?"

"Well, maybe I've done a little more than just play lookout for them. And maybe once I had Tuggy here help me with a job."

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 02:38 AM
Spit it out.

She readies the action again.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 03:35 PM
Tuggy raises his hamfist irritably.

"All right, so I've secretly been working for the jacks for 3 months now. Last week, they told me to make sure someone with kids didn't make it back in time. That's all I know."

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 04:47 PM
So, because of you, a man is dead, tortured to death and mutilated by skulks, his children are stolen away, and his wife insane with grief and trapped in poverty so that's she'll probably be kicked out on the street and starve to death... because of you.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 04:55 PM
"So? That's life down here. If you don't serve yourself, you'll never escape."

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 05:54 PM
Tell me what I need to know to find the children, or you'll be unable to escape due to your untimely death.

She again readies the action to manifest energy bolt, and the geodite readies an action to attack as well.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 06:23 PM
"I report to Little Nail. You'll find him in the tavern an hour before sunset." He begins to cower.

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 08:58 PM
I now know where to go, but what do I need to know about them? Anyone?

planswalker
2011-06-07, 10:11 PM
"Little Nail runs this part of the docks. If he didn't kidnap them, he'll know who did."

Jeriah
2011-06-07, 10:31 PM
Describe him then tell me how to get in to talk to him safely.

planswalker
2011-06-08, 01:54 AM
"Well, he's got a large scar over his right eye, and he favors the color blue. As for how to talk to him, well, he understands two languages: Money and Power. Either one will let you in to see him."

Jeriah
2011-06-08, 02:05 AM
which one is telling me this?

planswalker
2011-06-08, 02:53 AM
the one that moonlights with the Jacks and sent the hubby to his doom.

Jeriah
2011-06-08, 03:35 AM
the half ogre?

planswalker
2011-06-08, 03:42 AM
no, the human.

The one who first woke up and answered the door. That you've threatened and gotten to reveal that he works for the jacks occasionally. And that he's convinced the half-ogre to help him once or twice.

Jeriah
2011-06-08, 03:52 AM
Right... You, step out into the hallway. You're taking me to this person yourself.

She directs the geodite to step between him and the other two as she tells him this.

planswalker
2011-06-08, 05:42 PM
he steps out, but syas, "Lady, it's eight in the morning. He won't be here until 5 this evening. I don't know where he is or how to talk to him before then. He said if I had an emergency that couldn't wait until then, tough luck."

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 02:14 AM
Alright then...

She blasts the other two with an energy bolt, using one of her power link crystals to augment it.
[roll0] - fire damage, Ref DC19 half.

She has the geodite attack either of those two who survives, power attacking for 2.
[roll1]
[roll2]

She turns to the one that stepped out into the hall with her.

Now step back inside. We wait until he's available.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 02:44 AM
1st level expert ans 2nd level warrior... they're dead.

He looks at you in total shock. "Th-They were my friends. My best mates in all the world. I may be a coward, a liar, and a thug, but you came busting in here early in the morning, threaten me, rough me up, I go along with you, and now you kill my friends? You better pray that Hane does not grant me my revenge!"

He attacks you, landing an incredibly lucky hit on your solar plexus. by his stance, he has had some martial training.

you take [roll0] and need a fort save.

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 10:55 AM
[roll0]

The geodite moves to flank and attacks
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kiran takes a 5 foot step back and manifests vigor on herself, using three power points and two power link crystals and Overchannel, shared with her psicrystal, both gaining 40 temporary hitpoints.

It's less than what you have done. Their deaths were swift, painless. You have caused more death and suffering. I bring justice and vengeance, an end to your evil and atonement to your crimes.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 03:44 PM
Your geodite strikes him rather soundly. Not really paying attention to your words, he ignores your geodite and attacks you. He delivers a punch to your gut for [roll0]

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 08:07 PM
Kiran screams in pain.

The geodite attaacks again.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kiran takes a step back and starts to summon again. 5pp + 5 crystals = 7 possible emberlings. 50% chance for each past the first.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

planswalker
2011-06-09, 08:44 PM
Four emberlings are summoned, but your geodite misses with his attack.

do the emberlings get to attack before the guy goes again?

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 08:50 PM
5 emberlings. The first is guaranteed, I rolled the other 6.

YeahKiran orders two to run downstairs to the front door, barricade it with tables and such, then set them on fire. She orders another two to the back door to do the same. The fifth, she orders to start setting the room on fire.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 08:57 PM
no, that's exactly why it's four. You rolled 3 above 50% and 3 below 50%. That plus your guaranteed one is four.

plus, in order to resolve your commands, I'm going to need the cr of emberlings and a general idea of their special abilities.

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 09:14 PM
Ignore #5 then.

They're in Complete Psionic. I'm AFB.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 10:52 PM
The emberlings leave to dispense with the task you've assigned them.

The man attacks you, missing.

Jeriah
2011-06-09, 11:52 PM
She steps back again, this time summoning an astral construct in the space around her, shaping it to look like a demon and leaving a cavity within just large enough for her body.
[roll0]

(I have more actions to make, but I have to go for now.)

Jeriah
2011-06-10, 02:03 AM
Okay, a result of 22 "creates a construct that looks like an accurate portrayal of that creature type," i.e. the demon I was attempting.

I didn't specify, but I meant to say that I was making a 5th level construct with Improved Fly (fly 40ft (average)), requiring 5pp and 2 crystals.The astral construct, with Kiran inside, attacks with a slam attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2011-06-10, 03:58 PM
The man's corpse is a bloody pulp.

Within a minute, the flames in the back of the building are blazing. However, the smoke from the front seems to be clearing out.

Jeriah
2011-06-10, 07:58 PM
Kiran spends the next two rounds summoning emberlings, 2 at a time.
-5pp
[roll0]

-5pp
[roll1]

She orders them down to the front to start fires at the front and burn everything they can.

planswalker
2011-06-10, 08:28 PM
You successfully summon two each time. Four rounds after you summoned the second pair, the front is now aflame as well.

In that time, the back fire has begun to spread to the rest of the building. You are not sure if it will be safe to take the stairs back down.

Jeriah
2011-06-10, 10:42 PM
As the building burns, she has the astral construct bash out the nearest window and fly away, landing safely somewhere out of sight before the duration ends.

planswalker
2011-06-10, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, a large demonic monster flying through the window of a burning building in broad daylight is hardly inconspicuous. Though no one technically sees you, a pair of local city guardsmen approach the alley you landed in about when the construct's duration ends.

"Ma'am, we're going to have to bring you in for questioning."

380xp for that stunt, btw.

Jeriah
2011-06-11, 07:09 PM
She runs toward them panicked.

thank the gods you're here! It went that way!

She latches onto the nearest one and starts weeping.

planswalker
2011-06-11, 10:04 PM
that'll be a bluff check.

Jeriah
2011-06-11, 10:06 PM
Oops. I meant to do that.
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-06-11, 10:20 PM
"Please calm down ma'am and tell us what happened."

Jeriah
2011-06-11, 10:43 PM
S-Some c-creature just landed and took off. Thank the gods it d-didn't see me! She continues to weep as if in fear.

planswalker
2011-06-11, 10:57 PM
"Can you tell us which way it went?"

which will be another bluff check.

Jeriah
2011-06-11, 11:51 PM
A-All I-I know i-i-is it d-did-d-n't come this way...Is that really a bluff check?
[roll0]