PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Addictions

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 08:54 AM
So today my alarm went off, I got out of bed, turned it off, and fell on the floor in a drooling mess of sleepiness. Living in a college dorm and with no coffee maker, the nearest location with caffeine is a vending machine which I frequent all too often.

I never used to drink coffee in high school, but now I understand how kids could survive on such little sleep while I was dying from going to bed at the late hour of 11. Of course I had my tricks then too. Go to bed at 9, wake up at 7:50, rush to school in a mad panic, and all is dandy (Yeah, I'm an unfortunate person who requires 10-12 hours of sleep a night).

That said, straight black coffee and even caffeine addiction is not necessarily detrimental. Studies show it protects against certain forms of mental illnesses. I would try to jump off my caffeine addiction if it weren't for the fact it makes me not sleepy. Though some days I can survive without caffeine, sometimes days at a time, depending on sleep. But for a desperate pre-med GITP-addicted college kid, this is not an option.

So then, imma go get mah coffee. <3

No really, who else here suffers from the plight of having to consume that delicious drink we call coffee?

Eadin
2011-04-13, 09:03 AM
I never used to drink coffee until I got a free cold coffee drink at Starbucks and since then I'm hooked. On the cold variant then (I don't buy them at starbucks, I make them myself. I need to drink at least one cup before my morning lectures, else I just fall asleep halfway ).
The tons of sugar that I add probably also help.

Eldan
2011-04-13, 09:07 AM
I remember when I started drinking coffee in my third years of university.

I went from
one cup -> racing pulse, shaking hands
to
one cup -> functional in the morning
three cups dispersed over the day -> still functional in the afternoon

HealingWiseGuy
2011-04-13, 09:08 AM
I'm not allowed to have caffeine... Hee hee..

Actually I heavily drink Red Bull. It really is sort of an addiction I guess. It really would be hard to stop. I don't really drink coffee. Though a product from McCafe is something I do occasionally.

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 09:09 AM
I blame coffee places like Starbucks, they lure you in with the delicious tasting stuff.

Eadin
2011-04-13, 09:12 AM
I blame coffee places like Starbucks, they lure you in with the delicious tasting stuff.

Indeed! Damn you Starbucks! Although I'm working on making most of their stuff myself. Because damn, that stuff is expensive.

Eldan
2011-04-13, 09:19 AM
Yeah. They charge 7$ or more for a cup over here. In the lab, I can get decent coffee for 0.50$. In the cafeteria for 2$. In a restaurant for about 4$.

And yes, it is an addiction. And the withdrawal isn't pretty. I get massive headaches when I don't get any coffee for a few days and I'm so tired I can barely get up.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-13, 09:39 AM

The best coffee in the world is the one made at home. :smallwink:

Personally, I've liked coffee for a very long time, but I didn't drink it as heavily before college. Mostly, because I'm really not a morning person, and having morning classes takes a toll on me.

Unfortunately, I also tend to drink caffeine later in the day, which is bad. Last night I had a cup at 9 PM so I could do homework, which took less time than I expected. And then.... Well, there was a lot of tossing and turning in bed.

EmeraldRose
2011-04-13, 09:54 AM
Is this the thread where I can find my complimentary coffee? No? Hmm...There's got to be a thread like that around here somewhere.

*searches for coffee*

I'm pretty sure someone promised there would be coffee...

*fidgets until coffee is found*

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-13, 09:56 AM
I just shoot two cups of black coffee in the morning. The awful taste reminds me that it's probably going to give me an ulcer one day.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-13, 10:12 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/Coffee.gif

Gaelbert
2011-04-13, 11:50 AM
I'm not a huge coffee fan, but I drink oh so very much tea. The only times I don't drink tea are when I'm away from my dorm, and sometimes I buy tea then too. It's not as caffeinated as coffee I don't believe, but when you drink in excess of 10 cups a day (as I've been doing recently), it's a good deal of caffeine.
I don't have a problem with my sleeping though. I usually drink a cup of tea right before bed, then I sleep like an angel. I definitely need tea to wake up in the morning though.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-13, 11:55 AM
I'm immune to caffeine, which is disappointing, but I do lahv me a good cuppa coffee...

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 12:37 PM
I'm immune to caffeine, which is disappointing, but I do lahv me a good cuppa coffee...

How do you survive?

Moff Chumley
2011-04-13, 12:40 PM
Lots of naps in school. :smallannoyed:

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 12:42 PM
Eh the stuff you learn in HS is meh anyway.

---

Speaking of sleep, there is a rare genetic variation that allows people to be fully rested on 3-6 hours of sleep. They must get so much stuff procrastinating done.

I am jealous of them.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-13, 12:56 PM
Eh the stuff you learn in HS is meh anyway.

---

Speaking of sleep, there is a rare genetic variation that allows people to be fully rested on 3-6 hours of sleep. They must get so much stuff procrastinating done.

I am jealous of them.

Sounds like there's a catch somewhere. Do you have a link to this?

factotum
2011-04-13, 12:59 PM
Ever since I had a kidney problem a few years back I've not been able to tolerate caffeine in any sort of major dosage--used to drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, now drink none. Can't say I've noticed I'm any the worse off for it!

WalkingTarget
2011-04-13, 01:07 PM
Caffeine and I have sort of a cyclical relationship.

I'll be all caught up on sleep and don't need it for anything.
Eventually I get behind again and start drinking the occasional caffeinated soda (I don't like coffee).
I start needing those drinks more as deadlines loom.
I'll have a day, eventually, when I don't need the caffeine and I'll get a headache - this clues me in that I need to cut back.
I stop drinking caffeinated things for a while and the process starts again.

So far I've managed to avoid any sort of real addiction. I enjoy poking fun at some of my fellow grad students who can't function without their coffee (and who sometimes run down to the coffee shop half a block from our department's building during breaks in class).

Eldan
2011-04-13, 01:10 PM

Apparently, that's actually more or less natural. Used to be people would wake up two or three times per night for half an hour or more and lie around, smoke a pipe, go to the toilet or... do other things. These days, between treating everything other than eight solid hours as a sleeping disorder and the means to actually sleep alone in a room that's constantly dark and quiet, we just get more continuous sleep. Some people do the opposite, and instead of sleeping for eight hours with half of that rather shallow, they just have all the deep sleep phases more or less in one piece.

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 01:35 PM

Linky (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6795361.ece).

No catch, they're just genetically gifted.

Apophis
2011-04-13, 02:02 PM
Mmmm.... Coffee...

Is it bad that I started brewing a cup just because this thread got me thinking about it?

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 02:05 PM
Mmmm.... Coffee...

Is it bad that I started brewing a cup just because this thread got me thinking about it?

Nah >_>, it's not like I'm drinking a white mocha or anything now.

Kain05
2011-04-13, 02:15 PM

I am immune to caffeine as well, my mom is too, but I just so happen to love coffee soooo much. I kid you not, I drink at least two pots a day, and I drink it black. I can drink 6 shots of expresso and go to sleep 15 minutes later, yes I have done this.

JediSoth
2011-04-13, 02:52 PM
Since I gave up (for the most part) soda, coffee and tea are my vehicles of choice to deliver caffeine to my cells.

*sigh* I wish it weren't so, but I'm afraid as long as I have a 25 mile commute and a cat that believes sleeping humans are trampolines, I will not get enough sleep regularly enough to not "need" it.

Fortunately, statistics being what they are, I only need to put up with the cat for another 5-8 years (she's pushin' 10). But, with my luck, she's be a freakishly long-lived cat. I didn't want a cat, but I feel obligated to care for her since she belonged to my late wife.

Not all coffees are equal, though. I greatly prefer light roasts and I've found that there are only a couple of kinds I can drink black and "enjoy" (with sufficient sugar, Demerara or Turbinado being my choice): Guatemalan Antigua or Kona. Most Aribica brews I need something else in, like chocolate creamer. I make my own using 1/2 & 1/2 and Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate syrup. The store brand (if you can even find plain chocolate creamer) is LOADED with things that are NOT cream or chocolate.

I prefer tea, but generally find it's not as effective a pick-me-up as coffee. Chai without milk, Earl Grey, and Green Tea are my preference there. I like many flavored teas, unlike my coffee, which I do not like flavored (none of that French Vanilla or Wild Mountain Blueberry coffee for me, thanks).

Haruki-kun
2011-04-13, 04:47 PM
Linky (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6795361.ece).

No catch, they're just genetically gifted.

So jealous. I've been having trouble with sleep the last few days, if I only needed 4 hours a day it would all be fixed. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-04-13, 05:34 PM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/Coffee.gif
Better pic:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhxmu809EX1qdgf62o1_500.gif:smallamused:

I'm immune to it as well, which my friends find amusing when we're out at a restaurant and my drink order is a pitcher of coke, no glass, just the pitcher. :smallcool:

Also, you coffee drinking fiends. Coffee makes me retch. It's foul. :smallyuk:

Sacrieur
2011-04-13, 05:53 PM
I'm immune to it as well, which my friends find amusing when we're out at a restaurant and my drink order is a pitcher of coke, no glass, just the pitcher. :smallcool:

Also, you coffee drinking fiends. Coffee makes me retch. It's foul. :smallyuk:

Yes, but it smells goodly. And if you pour enough cream and sugar and stuff in it you can hardly taste the coffee! =D

Trog
2011-04-13, 05:54 PM
COFFEH!!

Between that and soda I cannot make it to 1 pm and function (read: massive headache ensues) if I haven't had any by that time. And typically by then I've had a cup or two of coffee and two sodas. I'm completely, utterly, joyously addicted to caffeine. Occasionally I'll buy of those huge energy drinks as well.

Since a thread like this comes up often enough I'll do my usual thing and toss out the caffeine content guide linky (http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database). I run in the 250-450mg/day range, myself.

I drink my coffee black, always, and my favorite is Jamaican Blue Mountain or any blend thereof if I can find it. Also, I do enjoy a good Japanese green tea on occasion.

Danne
2011-04-13, 06:10 PM
No coffee for me -- too bitter. I'm a huge tea addict, though. I spend way too much money buying tea latte things in coffee shops, and I have a huge stash of tea bags in my dorm room. One of the bad things about being in college is that I can't make real tea, with tea leaves and herbs and a cheese cloth and such, since that's always the best, but ah, well, I make do.

Speaking of which, I'm due for my next dose cup right about now.

Gaelbert
2011-04-13, 06:23 PM
No coffee for me -- too bitter. I'm a huge tea addict, though. I spend way too much money buying tea latte things in coffee shops, and I have a huge stash of tea bags in my dorm room. One of the bad things about being in college is that I can't make real tea, with tea leaves and herbs and a cheese cloth and such, since that's always the best, but ah, well, I make do.

Speaking of which, I'm due for my next dose cup right about now.

I just spent a good chunk of my paycheck on a tea pot, infuser, and loose leaf tea. It was completely worth it. I've been able to microwave water and use tea bags in my dorm, but I was really missing the loose leaf stuff. I don't have a cheesecloth though, not really sure what I would use it for.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-13, 07:16 PM
I've just recently become addicted to coffee, though I need lots of sugar and milk. Its not the taste for me- I hate the taste. I need the caffeine.
Mountain Dew, too, I never liked until recently. The past year, I guess. I blame it on a fellow Playgrounder :smalltongue:

Danne
2011-04-13, 07:49 PM
I just spent a good chunk of my paycheck on a tea pot, infuser, and loose leaf tea. It was completely worth it. I've been able to microwave water and use tea bags in my dorm, but I was really missing the loose leaf stuff. I don't have a cheesecloth though, not really sure what I would use it for.

I tend to make things like chai, which need herbs and such strained through the cloth. At least with my recipes. Maybe I could look into alternatives with an infuser, dunno if that's possible... *wanders off making Plans*

Weimann
2011-04-13, 07:56 PM
I too cannot stomach coffee, although I do like the smell of it cooking. I drink a moderate amount of tea instead.

factotum
2011-04-14, 01:44 AM
Fortunately, statistics being what they are, I only need to put up with the cat for another 5-8 years (she's pushin' 10). But, with my luck, she's be a freakishly long-lived cat. I didn't want a cat, but I feel obligated to care for her since she belonged to my late wife.

Have you considered closing the bedroom door so the cat can't get in?

EmeraldRose
2011-04-14, 06:12 AM
*sips the lovely fresh cup of sumatra*

Ahh.....no better way for the day to start!

SiuiS
2011-04-14, 07:06 AM
Yeah. They charge 7$ or more for a cup over here. In the lab, I can get decent coffee for 0.50$. In the cafeteria for 2$. In a restaurant for about 4$.

And yes, it is an addiction. And the withdrawal isn't pretty. I get massive headaches when I don't get any coffee for a few days and I'm so tired I can barely get up.

That's a lot of money for some coffee...
Caffeine withdrawal has been the most painful experience of my life. When coffee went from 'make me feel better' to 'make me not feel like crap' I decided I didn't have enough control issues, and wantedto compete with a chemical.

The chemical brought it's A game.

5 day long migraine. Severe cramping set in the third day. Several aspirin needed to ignore the pain enough to sleep. I only made it through the cold-turkey cut off with the thought "if I drink coffee now, I'll have to do this again".

Then I got a job with weird hours, and free coffee. And here we are, in the addiction thread. *sigh*

I am immune to caffeine as well, my mom is too, but I just so happen to love coffee soooo much. I kid you not, I drink at least two pots a day, and I drink it black. I can drink 6 shots of expresso and go to sleep 15 minutes later, yes I have done this.

You can only metabolize so many miligrams of caffeine per hour. You didn't drink 6 shots of espresso, you drank two shots of espresso and four shots of really expensive urine ;)

I find the amount of people who claim to be immune to caffeine to be funny, because they claim to be immune by having a lot all the time. Wouldn't that mean that instead of beig immune, you're addicted enough that you need it to function? Or it's always in your system so you've reached a state of equilibrium. Cut out any and all caffeine (including chocolate candy, tea, soda, energy drinks, etc.) for two days, and see what the results are. It would be interesting to find you are indeed immune to caffeine.

I've also noticed that people who drink coffee and then go to sleep don't sleep as well as otherwise; the coffee doesn't force you to be awake, but it does force your body to be more active even during down cycling.

If the cat is used to being in the bedroom, it would never work. A cat jumping on you is easier to deal with than a cat mewing outside the door, scratching and pacing, trying to dig under the door, or headbutting it until it opens. Its a stacked deck, a rigged game; you have a time limit, the cat does not. No profit in it for the human.

Runestar
2011-04-14, 07:19 AM
I guess it is just as well coffee gives me diarrhoea. Never touched that stuff. Can still wake up at 5am, but I don't know how it is going to be like 10 years down the road.

Kain05
2011-04-14, 07:22 AM
You can only metabolize so many miligrams of caffeine per hour. You didn't drink 6 shots of espresso, you drank two shots of espresso and four shots of really expensive urine ;)

Understood, but my point still stands ...

I find the amount of people who claim to be immune to caffeine to be funny, because they claim to be immune by having a lot all the time. Wouldn't that mean that instead of beig immune, you're addicted enough that you need it to function? Or it's always in your system so you've reached a state of equilibrium. Cut out any and all caffeine (including chocolate candy, tea, soda, energy drinks, etc.) for two days, and see what the results are. It would be interesting to find you are indeed immune to caffeine.

I have done this, when I quit smoking for the first time coffee started tasting nasty to me and I'm not really into soda so yeah, no ill effects from not drinking caffeine at all.

I've also noticed that people who drink coffee and then go to sleep don't sleep as well as otherwise; the coffee doesn't force you to be awake, but it does force your body to be more active even during down cycling.

I sleep very well thank you, ask my wife, I can sleep through an earthquake. I am wide awake and fully functional every morning after 6 hours of sleep and do not require coffee or anything to wake up. As a matter of fact I usually don't have anything other than water for at least two hours after I wake up, I drink my coffee when I get to work.

So yes, I still believe that I am immune to caffeine, I just love coffee.

smellie_hippie
2011-04-14, 07:22 AM
I was raised by a cup of coffee!!

/homesar quote.

Yeah, according to Trog's caffiene link, I run anywhere from 300 - 800 depending on how social I am feeling. Also to echo Trog, if I do not have a cup of coffee by around 11:30 (unless I sleep late) I will go into massive withdrawals. They are bad enough that someone may die if the problem is not rectified IMMEDIATELY...

That being said, I rarely buy coffee out. I brew a pot in the morning and drink all but about 2 cups of it. If I have more, it is ONLY from my local coffee shop restaurant that has a roaster on site.

For the record... Starbucks is not coffee. :smallyuk:

SiuiS
2011-04-14, 07:41 AM
*snip*

that's actually really cool, then. Apologies if I came off wrong, by the way. I wasn't calling anyone out, I've just met a lot of people who aren't in tune with their body at all, and previous investigations into immunity to caffeine have been fruitless. All I have are anecdotes.

Kudos on quitting cigarettes as well, I assume that's harder than quitting caffeine. ... Oh hey, haha. Now I'm in the awkward position of remembering all the times I've said I'm immune to nicotine. Guess I should probably do a more thorough mental search before commenting at this hour...

Wonder what I would do with caffeine immunity? Besides die of related water toxicity, I mean :3

Kain05
2011-04-14, 08:18 AM
that's actually really cool, then. Apologies if I came off wrong, by the way. I wasn't calling anyone out, I've just met a lot of people who aren't in tune with their body at all, and previous investigations into immunity to caffeine have been fruitless. All I have are anecdotes.

Kudos on quitting cigarettes as well, I assume that's harder than quitting caffeine. ... Oh hey, haha. Now I'm in the awkward position of remembering all the times I've said I'm immune to nicotine. Guess I should probably do a more thorough mental search before commenting at this hour...

Wonder what I would do with caffeine immunity? Besides die of related water toxicity, I mean :3

Well the first few times I quit smoking were horrible, but the last and final time wasn't too bad really, once I got past the first week and a half.

Believe me, it's no fun when I only get three hours of sleep and have a busy day, I envy most people then.

I had a friend in high school that was extremely caffeine sensitive, half of a soda would mess him up badly.

Kain05
2011-04-14, 08:20 AM

You are now my new best friend, I have thought this ever since I first tried that disgusting sludge. Starbucks needs to hurry up and go out of business before they trick anyone else into liking their sickening products.

Dihan
2011-04-14, 08:25 AM
I don't drink coffee, tea or energy drinks. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2011-04-14, 09:54 AM

Nor is my school cafeteria's coffee. Every time I order coffee from there, I end up regretting it the rest of the day. It's hard to stomach food until late at night. >.o

Best coffee ever: Home-made. Second best coffee ever: Convenience store. :smallwink:

JediSoth
2011-04-14, 10:26 AM

Of course. This results in the cat scratching the door. Cat scratches on doors, furniture, fabrics, greatly upset my wife. As it is legally not my house (she owned it before we got married), I try to respect that. Most vets will not declaw a cat at her age, either, plus I have some moral issues with lopping off the digits of her paws at the last joint.

If I had known in Nov. 2008 what I know now, I would have found a way to get rid of the cat after my wife died. Hindsight is, as they say, 20/20.

Not that I hate the cat, mind you. I'm quite fond of her, but honestly, I never wanted a pet when I lived alone. Plus, the cat is about the only valuable thing I have remaining from my first wife (aside from the wedding set).

Don Julio Anejo
2011-04-14, 11:26 AM
I own an espresso machine. I'm drinking a home-made mocha right now. Do I need to elaborate?

Also, interestingly enough, I only show dependence on some days. On others, I feel just fine without it, and despite exams, I've actually been drinking less coffee as of late (read - 1 cup every 2-3 days). And even when I really need it, I can usually get by with exercise.

But sugar... sugar makes me crash so bad about an hour after ingesting it, I pretty much stopped eating/drinking anything sugary except tea and even then it's a pretty moderate amount (3 teaspoons/16 oz mug).

smellie_hippie
2011-04-14, 12:07 PM
You are now my new best friend, I have thought this ever since I first tried that disgusting sludge. Starbucks needs to hurry up and go out of business before they trick anyone else into liking their sickening products.

Yay! I has a best friend! :smallbiggrin:

Nor is my school cafeteria's coffee. Every time I order coffee from there, I end up regretting it the rest of the day. It's hard to stomach food until late at night. >.o

Best coffee ever: Home-made. Second best coffee ever: Convenience store. :smallwink:

Convenience store can be surprisingly good. Starbrokes is just expensive and they over-roast their beans. That is purely my opinion, and may those who enjoy their wares continue to support the fine concept of coffee enjoyment.

Jack Squat
2011-04-14, 12:11 PM
I'm not addicted to caffeine, as I don't have a craving, nor do I have any withdrawal symptoms. However, it's quite often that I can be seen with either a Dew or a coffee with me (class and work excluded - stupid no food/drink policies), so it may be hard to tell at times.

Don't quite care for energy drinks, I'll just toss a couple caffeine pills into a bottle of Gatorade instead.

SiuiS
2011-04-14, 05:03 PM
Convenience store can be surprisingly good. Starbrokes is just expensive and they over-roast their beans. That is purely my opinion, and may those who enjoy their wares continue to support the fine concept of coffee enjoyment.

That's not opinion. Starbucks does indeed over-roast their beans. They do it to 'bring out the flavor' but having equal parts bean and burn is something they try for.

Myself, I prefer a lighter roast, more flavor without the BBQ pit residue.
Though my favorite coffee is 3 parts coffee, 2 parts whole milk, sugar to taste, and left put to get cold for a couple hours >>
picking up my Da's 'hot chocolate' one day as a wee-un is what got me on the sauce in the first place.

Shademan
2011-04-14, 06:43 PM
when i feel to lazy to go boil water i just eat the coffee

EmeraldRose
2011-04-15, 06:12 AM
when i feel to lazy to go boil water i just eat the coffee

Mmmm...chocolate covered espresso beans....now that's a fun way to increase your caffeine intake!

Eldan
2011-04-15, 07:40 AM
A local bar sold coffee juice once. I.e. the juice of fresh coffee fruit, mixed with a few other fruit juices. Strange taste, but much better than coffee. And it had quite a bit of caffeine, judging by the effect.

Castaras
2011-04-15, 09:31 AM
Can't stand the taste of coffee, and the one time I drunk it at school due to not sleeping well (pretty sure it was only 4ish hours of sleep... considering I normally need 9-10 to function... PAIN!) it just made me even more tired and very headachey.

I'll stick with hot chocolate.

Kneenibble
2011-04-15, 09:35 AM
Nothing beats a Friday morning begun with two double espressos, baby.

A local bar sold coffee juice once. I.e. the juice of fresh coffee fruit, mixed with a few other fruit juices. Strange taste, but much better than coffee. And it had quite a bit of caffeine, judging by the effect.

That sounds like one of the neatest things ever. What was the taste like, can you describe it?

Sacrieur
2011-04-15, 11:19 AM
Can't stand the taste of coffee, and the one time I drunk it at school due to not sleeping well (pretty sure it was only 4ish hours of sleep... considering I normally need 9-10 to function... PAIN!) it just made me even more tired and very headachey.

I'll stick with hot chocolate.

I think imma go get some of that now~ =P

grimbold
2011-04-15, 04:58 PM
i am fanatically addicted to coca cola
i have actually complained at my local grocery store when they ran out of coke, now they know to keep well stocked

Eldan
2011-04-15, 05:30 PM
Nothing beats a Friday morning begun with two double espressos, baby

That sounds like one of the neatest things ever. What was the taste like, can you describe it?

Difficult to describe, really. Still kinda bitter, but pretty different from coffee.

Shademan
2011-04-16, 10:38 AM
Mmmm...chocolate covered espresso beans....now that's a fun way to increase your caffeine intake!

I just eat spoonfulls of powder

SiuiS
2011-04-17, 08:15 PM
Ew.

A thought occurred to me recently; I think caffeine addiction may be similar to alcohol addiction. At first you get pep'd up easy, but then you build a tolerance, so you take more and more. And then you need it, and it doesn't take much anymore at all.

I wonder how to test that.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-04-17, 08:34 PM
Ironically enough, I can't stand regular coffee; it's way too bitter for me to tolerate. And when I add the cream and sugar...Let's just say that "Overdoing it" is a massive understatement.

Kneenibble
2011-04-17, 08:56 PM
Ew.

A thought occurred to me recently; I think caffeine addiction may be similar to alcohol addiction. At first you get pep'd up easy, but then you build a tolerance, so you take more and more. And then you need it, and it doesn't take much anymore at all.

I wonder how to test that.

That's almost exactly how it works, actually -- except the caffeine tolerance builds up and dissipates much more quickly than alcohol tolerance, and there is no horrible plateau of functional necessity like there is for the worst alcoholics.

DeadManSleeping
2011-04-17, 09:33 PM
I deliberately got myself unaddicted to caffeine. I don't feel like having to deal with headaches should I forget to drink it constantly.

Fri
2011-04-19, 02:51 AM
I'm not addicted to coffee, I prefer tea. But I enjoy a cup of coffee here and there. But most commercial coffee are too sweet for me. I usually only put the tiniest amount of sugar to scrape the coffee's bitterness.

Recently I found out that you can do that with a very small amount of salt, and I've been trying to find the perfect amount of salt for me for some time. It does work, to my surprise.

I think I might still prefer adding a very small amount of sugar though.

Asta Kask
2011-04-19, 06:07 AM
Ironically enough, I can't stand regular coffee; it's way too bitter for me to tolerate. And when I add the cream and sugar...Let's just say that "Overdoing it" is a massive understatement.

Do you get Caffeine Bullet Time (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaffeineBulletTime) when you overindulge? :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2011-04-20, 07:00 AM
i generally dislike caffeine, but since it can stop a migraine i always keep it around the house.

Sipex
2011-04-20, 03:35 PM
Do you get Caffeine Bullet Time (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaffeineBulletTime) when you overindulge? :smallbiggrin:

Make jokes, but it exists.

It's just not as extreme as matrix bullet time and your phyical reflexes can never keep up with your mental reflexes so you can see stuff happening but can't react any faster than usual.

Trog
2011-04-20, 07:43 PM
I've just recently become addicted to coffee, though I need lots of sugar and milk. Its not the taste for me- I hate the taste. I need the caffeine.
Mountain Dew, too, I never liked until recently. The past year, I guess. I blame it on a fellow Playgrounder :smalltongue:

One of us. One of us. :smalltongue:

*Dons the costume of his alter alter ego, Captain Caffeine*

Trog's... er... Trog means uh... Captain Caffeine's work here is done!

Up! Up!! And AWAY!!! *lifts arms to fly off*

*just stands there*

<<
>>

*looks down. Looks back up*

Anyone have a Red Bull or something? :smallconfused:

Orzel
2011-04-20, 07:50 PM
I go through cycles based on the season

Coffee-Fall
Chocolate- Winter
Tea- Spring
Summer- EVERYTHING (cause I don't sleep)

Gitman00
2011-04-21, 05:18 AM
I drink coffee almost every day, but not every day, and I don't notice any withdrawal symptoms when I skip a day. I mostly just like the taste. Though I wonder if it has anything to do with my typical mid-afternoon crash.

Hmm. I must study this phenomenon.

SilverSheriff
2011-04-21, 12:24 PM

Giant in the Playground needs more Geneticists, that way we can harness genes from the people with this variation and create an army of supermen capable of 100+ posts a day.:smalltongue:

Meanwhile I'll just drink my V...

zeratul
2011-04-21, 06:06 PM
Ah yes, the severity of my caffeine addiction is rather extensive :smalltongue: . Since ninth grade or so I've always had a cup of coffee each morning as it's just pleasant pick me up to start the day with, and that's continued to this day. Then one fateful eve I was introduced to energy drinks. Since then aside from drinking a cup of coffee every day I usually drink between 4 and 7 energy drinks a week, aside from the occasional days when whilst hanging out with people I drink like three in one night.

The downside to all of this caffeinated wonderfullness is of course the occasional days where I'm really out of it unless I can get an energy drink or some coffee, and when I go without either for any extended period of time there can be some pretty bad headaches. So yeah, definitely in the caffeine addicted club here.