PDA

View Full Version : How do you get this prestige? HEXER!

Raendyn
2011-04-13, 11:28 AM
How do you get the qualification??

Masters of the wild. p 63

Requirements
To become a hexer, a character must fulfill the following
criteria.
Race/Type: Monstrous humanoid, giant, goblinoid, or
other primitive humanoid, such as orc or gnoll.
Alignment: Any nongood.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 8
ranks, Wilderness Lore 10 ranks.
Spellcasting: Able to cast lightning bolt as a divine
spell.

How can someone get Lighting bolt as Divine?
Does Greater anyspell domain slot. counts??

Thalnawr
2011-04-13, 11:34 AM
Adepts cast divine spells, and get lightning bolt on their spell list. There may also be a domain somewhere that gives it. But from the racial requirements of the class, it seems like WotC intended it primarily for NPC opponents anyhow.

Bagelz
2011-04-13, 11:43 AM
edit: ninja'd
The adept npc class gets lightning bolt, as a divine class (which makes sense for a prestige class that needs to be a monster race).

other than that I'd check the storm domain from FR or domains from other settings. As far as whether anyspell works, is probably up to your dm.

Theres also some shennanigans you can do to cast arcane spells as divine and visa versa (i think geomancer prestiges class is one, and a complete divine feat is another) but usually requires multiclass.

MeeposFire
2011-04-13, 11:45 AM
I don't have it on me but lightning bolt could be on the shugenga list.

Cog
2011-04-13, 11:46 AM
Lightning Bolt appears on the Shugenja list as a Fire spell.

MeeposFire
2011-04-13, 11:49 AM
Boom baby!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-13, 11:52 AM
An Archivist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) can learn Lightning bolt, and it's probably your strongest choice for a base class that can qualify for this.

Thalnawr
2011-04-13, 11:58 AM
Yeah, but Shugenja and Archivists don't get Survival as a class skill. I'm sure there's some way for them to get the 10 ranks they need in a timely fashion through a feat, however.

Cog
2011-04-13, 12:02 PM
Yup. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) Sorry, this white text isn't very interesting. That's why I hid it.

Raendyn
2011-04-13, 12:52 PM
An Archivist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) can learn Lightning bolt, and it's probably your strongest choice for a base class that can qualify for this.

the funny thing is that i AM an archivist :smallcool:

I needed a way to get the spell :imbue familiar with spell ability

& hexer is the only 1 i found... my DM highly disslikes SotAO...

Bascally i wanted to get an Archivist with a familiar & the abovementioned spell!
i also wanted toadd the spell dancer in there so things just got hard for me...
I can't pick between the lvl 11 archivist ability (no SR no save stun!) or the familiar nuking, or the spelldancer. i can only pick 2 i want all 3 ...

There are just too many beautiful things to do with an archivist :smallsmile:

edit: BTW do kobolds qualify?

MeeposFire
2011-04-13, 01:23 PM
Do kobolds qualify for what?

Raendyn
2011-04-13, 01:28 PM
Do kobolds qualify for what?

hexer! they are humanoids (reptilians)
Is that monstrous or what?..

Jarian
2011-04-13, 01:30 PM
Humanoid is their type. Not Monstrous Humanoid. Their subtype (Reptillian) doesn't change the fact that they're humanoids.

For reference. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm)

Raendyn
2011-04-13, 01:31 PM
Humanoid is their type. Not Monstrous Humanoid. Their subtype (Reptillian) doesn't change the fact that they're humanoids.

pitty... DM allows dragonwrought...

MeeposFire
2011-04-13, 01:33 PM
hexer! they are humanoids (reptilians)
Is that monstrous or what?..

Oh I see what you are asking.

As the previous poster siad they are humanoids but they would certainly fit the mold of "primitive humanoid such as orc or gnoll" so I think you are fine though you technically need to ask the DM since it is not spelled out exactly what a "primitive humanoid" is exactly but kobolds fit the idea easily.

EDIT dragonwraught would probably be right out since that makes a a dragon not a humanoid though that might be silly in this case since you are still a kobold and they work.

Jarian
2011-04-13, 01:36 PM
If you absolutely need to be a monstrous humanoid, just use Polymorph Any Object twice, taking your pick of which monstrous humanoid you want. Generally causes books to be thrown, but this is pretty tame in comparison to the usual uses.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-13, 02:22 PM
"Race/Type: Monstrous humanoid, giant, goblinoid, or
other primitive humanoid, such as orc or gnoll."

I'm pretty sure Kobolds would qualify, they're just as 'primitive' as those other examples.

Veyr
2011-04-13, 02:24 PM
That depends on the setting, but yeah, in most settings they would.

Thurbane
2011-04-13, 03:47 PM
Favored Soul can get Lightning Bolt, but it's very feat intensive. It requires Dragontouched, and Draconic Legacy (topaz). Unfortunately, Draconic Legacy requires four other Draconic Feats as a prereq. So unless you're using flaws, a non-human is going to be around level 15 before they can qualify - and that's not including a feat to get Survival as a class skill.

It's a shame really, Hexer is a class that would add some much needed power to the Favored Soul.

Cog
2011-04-13, 04:10 PM
A Favored Soul of Bahamut or Tiamat can also get it by merely taking the ACF out of Dragon Magic... but not until 12th level. Ouch. (Normally the ACF lets you choose a new, higher-level spell for the trade, so the ACF isn't that bad on its own.)