PDA

View Full Version : Wizards Only d20 Game

purplearcanist
2011-04-13, 04:31 PM
After many days of studying wizardry, in your own small demiplane, aided by servants of your mentor you have been issued a summons to meet your mentor in his study. This is unusual, as your mentor has only conversed with you a few times. Answering this summons by stepping on conveniently placed teleportation circles, you arrive in the mages study. Not merely a small library, it seems to expand to fill all space, as shelves of books, seemingly expanding into the heavens, line the world. Your mentor, preferentially called the Head Wizard, is directly in front of you, floating, apparently self-absorbed in reading a floating book in front of you, scribbiling notes.

Refusing to make eye contact, he speaks, "I have been expecting you. I taught you the basics of reality manipulation. Now, I would like it if you could help me in return. I will summon you into an alternate plane of existence, search for a blue gem. My attempt at scrying the location revealed that it is being held by a tribe of kobolds, the summoning spell should bring you close enough. If you could find it and touch it, I can transport it back here. Use any means necessary to bring me the gem, to be a wizard, you must explore all possible options. You may browse the books in the library at your leisure to prepare for this mission, or you may ask me if you have any questions."

"And as the gem is being held in a dark cave, I feel you will need this." With a wave of his hand, two small gemstones, each burning with their own light, appeared. "These will ensure that you will be able to explore the cave within."

"You have 24 hours. You should have a feel for this, with the day and night cycles on your demiplane. Feel free to study the books in the library to prepare, or ask me your questions. Stand in the summoning circle behind me when you are ready."

Rules and OOC stuff:

1. Post all OOC stuff within spoilers, like here. [SPOILER.], without the dot, will start a spoiler, and [/SPOILER.], without the dot, will end one.
2. Post all die rolls in spoilers. And please don't roll for initiative, that is my job when combat begins. There is no preset order for your actions, but you are free to change them in light of other peoples posts. Just don't edit them after I announce the posts.
3. In reference to the spells in the library's spellbooks, you can find any 1st level spell in the player's handbook that does not require an expensive material component. I will allow the requested transfer wounds spell if you can give the original text or state its effect (its unclear what it does).
4. Good luck!

davidlewing
2011-04-13, 06:15 PM
"Yes Master. Thank you for considering us worthy for this task. Elinath, what do you think is the best plan? Since we will be unable to bring any physical weapons we may wish to remain undetected for as long as possible. Perhaps spells that temporarily disable, or simply distract, our foes would be best."

[roll0] Spellcraft to recognize what magical effect is on the stones. I am not confident that I did this right...

Airanath, I am thinking spells like sleep or color spray for my first level spell and daze and/or mage hand for 0 level spells

Airanath
2011-04-13, 08:39 PM
"Woohoo, finally a chance to play some, I just got to grab my toys, prepare my mind, and will be ready for it."
"Oh yeah, before I forget, Master, is this gem magical in nature? So I can better prepare to look for it."
I didn't find the transfer wounds spell again, yet, just bestow wounds for now, I'll keep looking, but I am thinking it might have been third party, as I can't find it into my wizards of the coast books.
I will take materials to make a few triplines, stickers and duster traps from the booby trap list (As many as you say its reasonable too).
Spells prepared: 0- Detect Magic(2), Touch of Fatigue(1)
1- Color Spray (2), Comprehed Language(School)
IF the gem is not magic, substitute Detect for another 2 touch of fatigues.

purplearcanist
2011-04-13, 08:57 PM
Your master notices your confusion over the glowing stones that he offered. "Oh, I almost forgot to tell you, those are just some rocks enchanted with a continual flame spell attached, useful for exploring dark places."

"And the gem you seek. Elinath, I feel that the training is starting to do you some good, as you are approaching problems as a wizard. Detecting magic will help you identify the gem, as it is marked with a unique aura that can be perceived by the spell. The gem would be of little concern if it did not have this property. Anyways, you should recognize it by its amethyst color, cut in the shape of a 5-pointed star."

"And remember, creativity is the wizard's greatest asset!"

Airanath
2011-04-13, 10:09 PM
Elinath accepts one of the gems, placing it in one of his robes pockets, his violet robes look like a mess to the unwary observer, filled with pockets, of all sizes and shapes, but any wizard knows the value of a easily acessible component for his spells, and extra points if you can place them somewhere a smart cut-purse won't take them away. In some better hidden pouches tought, he hides small wires, to play pratical pranks, as well as pouches of finely ground powder, that makes peoples eyes itch when thrown.
In his bag he has a nails and small daggerlike blades.
His mind is now readied and filled with arcane formulas.
He returns to the Portal, nods at his peer, signaling he is ready to step trough.
Keeping the spell selection then. Since I got no answer on number for what I can carry, I made it at least plausible to have some materials ready, again, your call on how many.

purplearcanist
2011-04-13, 10:14 PM
I will let you set about 3 booby traps. However, they can only have minor effects, such as tripping, or (a little) damage. They will require about a minute to set up. I can get predefined effects from DMGII, or have you design your own. Effects that are slightly more powerful may cost multiple traps.

Airanath
2011-04-13, 10:24 PM
I'll use the ones of dmg for now, the materials I described are for the tripper, the duster(blindes 1d3 rounds) and the one that deals 1d6 dmg, but mostly I'll use tripper/duster.

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 05:32 AM
It says in the SRD manual that I will get a bonus spell for a high intelligence modifier but it does not say how many bonus spells. Looking at Airanath's though, it looks like two 1st level and three 0th level spells. I will edit this post in about an hour to add my spells, can't finish it now...

Airanath
2011-04-14, 06:57 AM
@ david
Nop, the 1+1 is 1 wizard and 1 for specialization.
The bonus spell is the 1 for high inteligence.
You can find out how many and of which lvls you get here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores).

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 09:04 AM
Tilenthon also accepts the glowing stone and steps into the circle.
Okay. That table shows that I get an extra spell for levels 1 through 4. I can't cast anything above level 1 right? I get three level 0 spells and one level 1 spell normally. Add the extra level 1 spell for intelligence and I get two level 1 spells total.

If I got this right, I will prepare these spells:
Level 0 - Daze (2), Mage Hand (1)
Level 1 - Bestow Wounds (1), Sleep (1) (2)

We aren't allowed to bring any weapons right?

EDIT: Bestow Wounds was removed because the materials needed to cast it were not available.

purplearcanist
2011-04-14, 09:31 AM
Looking up from his studies for a moment, your master acknowledges your decision and pronounces a short spell. Suddenly, the halls of the library dissolve. In its place lies a dark room, seen only by virtue of your stones. Unfortunately, there is not much room to stand, and your heads are close to your ceiling. Items and rubble are strewn around chaotically. A white arrow, embedded in a table, provides evidence that there was a recent fight here. Straight ahead, there is a smaller door, sized for a kobold. Glancing behind, you see a door sized for a humanoid. In the direction of the door ahead, you hear a noise that is reminiscent of an exquisite water fountain in your master's garden.

OOC:

You did that right, davidelwig, although what does Bestow Wounds do?
And no weapons, although you can use any that you find on your adventure. And you can't keep any treasure, as you are summoned like a summon monster spell. The exception is the object of your quest, touching it is enough to bring it back.

Airanath
2011-04-14, 09:55 AM
Bestow wounds is not a heal, its a necromancy that transfers your wounds to the target at the rate of 1/casterlevel, they get a fort save to resist. Its from Heroes of Horror, there might be an exert, looking for it.
Nop no exert for this spell, but I do have the book in question at home.

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 10:10 AM
Tilenthon attempts to retrieve the arrow from the table, then stoops to pick up a fist sized chunk of rubble, placing it in one of his pockets."I wonder what happened here... Do you recognize anything on this arrow that might hint to what kind of being made it?"
Couple questions... Do I make some kind of knowledge role to identify the arrow? How large is the room? What is the limit to what I can craft on the fly? I was thinking it might be useful to tie the arrow to a broken chair leg to have a stabbing weapon. Assuming I could find the stuff in here would that be possible?

Airanath
2011-04-14, 10:15 AM
Elinath listens at the larger door, to check if it might be safe opnening it and checking what is there. If no noise is heard, I open the door, to look at what is there.
Listen roll: [roll0]
David, you should prepare something other than bestow wounds, as I don't have the exact rules for it right now, I'll PM the spell description for you and the DM once I am home, due to the game license stuff

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 10:19 AM
Can I "Aid Another" on things like listen? If so: [roll0]

purplearcanist
2011-04-14, 12:28 PM
As both of you listen at the door, there is a soft snoring, fading in and out.

OOC Stuff:

Sheets for easy access:
Elinath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=289896)
Tilenthon Mirar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=289997)
PMing results of trying to identify arrow. You may communicate the results of PMs unless told otherwise. (ex: I won't let you communicate if you are charmed.) I will make the d20 roll for you in secret.

purplearcanist
2011-04-14, 01:11 PM
sorry forgot part of the previous OOC post.
The room is about 100 ft. x 100 ft..
And you can tie the arrow to a chair leg that is sitting around (no check needed). However, remember the -4 penalty to attack rolls for improvised weapons. Should take a minute to craft.
The only limit to what you can craft on the fly is time and materials.
And I appreciate this on the fly thinking. Remember, creativity is the wizard's greatest asset.

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 06:17 PM
"Do you hear that? Now that I think about it, I think I do recognize this arrow. I must have read about them sometime in the library. They are used by pixies to put people to sleep. Do you think the snoring in there could be the pixie who did this? Maybe he went invisible and took a nap or something. Regardless I think I have an idea for this arrow..."

Tilenthon walks to the table and, after taking a moment to aim, kicks at a leg of the table attempting to break it off mostly intact. He then searches the immediate area for a piece of string.

Tilenthon will kick three times before asking Elinath for help. This is a strength check right?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Looking at this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/search.htm) it looks like the DC for finding a piece of string would be 10. In that case I will take 10 on the search.

purplearcanist
2011-04-14, 07:05 PM
Tilenthon snaps a table leg from the table. Then, he finds a thin piece of rope in the cavern and uses it to tie the arrow to the table leg. After a minute of work, the pixie arrow is a rudimentary weapon.

Airanath
2011-04-14, 07:51 PM
"Its possible, want to go and find out? I would think what we want might be deeper into the cave, if the master was right about the kobolds having it, they are small, aren't them?
While waiting for a reply, I look around trying to find any other stuff in the room, hopefully chunks of metal that I can tie together as to make a rudimentary alarm, going to rig it to the door we are not using once we go, to know if anything is behind us.
Spot(if needed): 1d20+1

Airanath
2011-04-14, 07:54 PM
edits don't let me add roll, so double posting for roll.
Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 08:06 PM
"Yeah, they're small... But I want to see what is in here first, we might be able to get something useful off of whoever is sleeping in there, maybe a real weapon for one."

Once again I will aid another on the spot ([roll0]) and search ([roll1]) checks.

Airanath
2011-04-14, 08:10 PM
All right, give me a minute then, and while I work on this, tell me more of those Piksies you spoke of.

After we are done searching, I set a trap in the door we are not taking for now. If I find the metal to make it, I'll set an alarm trap(so it makes noise and we know someone is behind), if not, I'll set a duster trap to blind whoever it is and slow them a moment.
If necessary: Trapmaking[roll0]

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 08:16 PM
"I don't really know much else. They are supposed to be mischievous magic users, playing practical jokes on people. Guess you will get along well with them Heh. They are small, maybe the same general size as the kobolds I don't know, and can turn invisible. They are pretty weak, though, if you can actually get at them. Another thing I just remembered about this arrow is that it breaks on contact with a living creature, so I will only be able to use it once. It also, if I remember correctly, doesn't hurt the target at all, just puts them to sleep. Don't know how it works that way though."

purplearcanist
2011-04-14, 10:59 PM
You search around for materials that could be used for a trap, while keeping an active lookout for enemies. Suddenly, Elinath gasps as he almost stumbles into a trap. Closer inspection reveals a web of wires, linked up to an alarm device, intended to be triggered by creatures that are within the air, not only on the ground. This trap may be of use, if it is first disabled. And there is metal, in the form of tiny plates, pots, utensils. A look in one spot even found a small spear on the ground, although no body is nearby.

davidlewing
2011-04-14, 11:04 PM
I am going to wait for Airanath to respond before I do anything. I might not be able to post until tomorrow evening though. If Airanath does anything that Tilenthon can aid with please assume that I will. Thanks.

Airanath
2011-04-15, 05:49 AM
"Ha! The petulance of those little buggers! I'm gonna turn their toy right back at them! Tilenthon, take care around, the place is trapped, and it seems our little friends are flyers, of all things, since we have some fly-catcher traps here."
Kinda muttering under my breath I take some of my duster powder materials and sprinkle them near the spear, to see if there is any invisible bodies. I also grab the spear, to hand it to Tilenthon when I stand up.
Disable Device:[roll0]

purplearcanist
2011-04-15, 09:56 AM
Elinath sprinkles some dust in the air to check for invisible bodies. The dust doesn't seem to settle on any air, indicating that there is no body. Then, he gives the spear to Tilenthon.
Before the trap could be triggered successfully disables it by untangling the wires, after rigging the alarm so that it makes no noise.

Airanath
2011-04-15, 10:17 AM
How about my setting my own alarm in the other door?
I also warn Tilenthon to lower his head, as I adjusted it for possible "flys" in the place.

purplearcanist
2011-04-15, 10:24 AM
Erinath begins to gather materials for making his own alarm trap.

Which door? The bigger one?
And I felt that the alarm trap was sufficient to give you a pause to redeclare actions.
Mind my typos on the previous post.:smallbiggrin: They will be fixed.

Airanath
2011-04-15, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I tought about not setting it, but seeing as we are going the oposite way might leave some surprises, even more after david tempted me too, guess I'll pull a pratical, funnier this way: I'll go for the good old bucket above a semi opened door >=D fill it with rubble too, I'll place it on both doors after we use them

purplearcanist
2011-04-18, 01:59 PM
Sorry, still unclear what you intend to do. Can you be more specific?

And sorry for not posting. I will do it more often.

Airanath
2011-04-18, 02:14 PM
I'll check the room for a bucket, fill it with peebles, and play the classical pratical prank, placing it on top of the very slightly open door, so it falls on whoever passes by it. I'll do that just as we are done using the said door.

davidlewing
2011-04-18, 02:17 PM
Said door being the door behind which we hear snoring correct?

purplearcanist
2011-04-18, 02:52 PM
Yes, is it the door with snoring, or door without?
Sorry, I need specifics.

Airanath
2011-04-18, 03:09 PM
The door with snoring, after we check on the snoring, the other once we go past it.