PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Request a Monster!

M.c.P
2011-04-13, 04:54 PM
So I have a problem, I'm a humongous nerd, and I've taken to actually enjoying designing interesting monsters.

But my group only meets once a week, and that's hardly enough time to stat up the variety of cool things I could throw at them to kill! So that's why we have this thread:

Request a Monster!

Note: I can do single monsters or groups of monsters that work together

1. Please state what kind of general role you want your monsters to be in, either Lurker, Skirmisher, Controller, Soldier, or Brute. Also mention if you want it to be a Leader or not.

2. Would you like a Standard, a Minion, an Elite, or a Solo?

3. What level do you need?

4. Now for the cool stuff, what kind of fight or mechanics would you like to play with? This is the most important, and best helps me create interesting attacks and abilities. For example:
A watery monster that darts in and out of the swamp to strike at vulnerable prey?
A hulking giant who specializes in throwing PCs at other PCs?
A horde of zombies that can pull a PC down and start mobbing the poor guy/girl to death?

Some samples of my previous stuff

The infamous man himself! A perfect capstone for any heroic campaign!
http://i.imgur.com/YL9Kh.jpg

A cool boss I dropped for my own game, very fun to fight (I'm told)
http://i.imgur.com/5lUbU.png

More to come!

ELC
2011-04-13, 07:04 PM
I hope you don't mind a more open-ended request.

Make a D&D version of Slappy from Dead Rising 2 [Link] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmj82pllIQc)

Doesn't necessarily have to be human: just get the key parts down (i.o.w. the attacks). Would probably be a Skirmisher if that helps.

M.c.P
2011-04-13, 08:48 PM
Sure, I can work with that, but... what level were you thinking of?

Edit: Too late, I was bored, he's level 8!

http://i.imgur.com/y2099.png

Notes: I went with annoying effects like prone and daze as well as high mobility, with very little in the way of defensive abilities. Also went with very swingy damage, for the added crazy!

Coming Through is worded as such to provoke opportunity attacks. The thought is that twice in the fight, the PCs will get to load damage on Slappy while he basically rearranges the battlefield. It's a move action, so he still can put plenty of hurt down.

I changed up the charge thing and eliminated his fireball attack from the video. This is a multiplayer game, after all! The charge is now a Recharging threat to the entire party. I decided to eliminate the fireball attack (replaced somewhat by Crazed Flames) because in D&D there'd be practically no reason not to just back off and spit ranged attacks, which is hardly the playstyle I think you were going for.

Final thing, Slappy is very capable of taking advantage of the "charging blind spot" with all his prone and daze powers. Its up to you how much you want to abuse it though.

ELC
2011-04-13, 09:33 PM
Hmm . . . I'm thinking between L5 and L10: something that would be a slight challenge for a upper-heroic party.

M.c.P
2011-04-13, 10:04 PM
Huh, speak of the devil. Looks like I guessed right.

knightvision
2011-05-07, 01:14 PM
So I have a problem, I'm a humongous nerd, and I've taken to actually enjoying designing interesting monsters.

But my group only meets once a week, and that's hardly enough time to stat up the variety of cool things I could throw at them to kill! So that's why we have this thread:

Request a Monster!

Note: I can do single monsters or groups of monsters that work together

1. Please state what kind of general role you want your monsters to be in, either Lurker, Skirmisher, Controller, Soldier, or Brute. Also mention if you want it to be a Leader or not.

2. Would you like a Standard, a Minion, an Elite, or a Solo?

3. What level do you need?

4. Now for the cool stuff, what kind of fight or mechanics would you like to play with? This is the most important, and best helps me create interesting attacks and abilities. For example:
A watery monster that darts in and out of the swamp to strike at vulnerable prey?
A hulking giant who specializes in throwing PCs at other PCs?
A horde of zombies that can pull a PC down and start mobbing the poor guy/girl to death?

1. Brute and Leader type

2. Standard

3. Level 4

4. Plant folk - bark-type skin with branches and some leafs sprouting from them. They live in jungles. Maybe use some type of attacks using plants such as sap, seeds, etc. :smallbiggrin:

Many thanks