PDA

View Full Version : Mobs and Monsters

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-13, 05:15 PM
It is a bad year to be a monster.

A particularly bad harvest last year has led to quite a few confrontations between the local farming communities and the few local monstrosities, and in the late winter the number of people and sheep who didn't come back from the snow meant that hostility towards the outside has come to its highest in living memory. Now that spring is upon you, the villagers of Wharram Percy have been whipped up into a frenzy by the priests of St Cuthbert, and even a rumour of a monster being sighted is enough to send half the village out throughout the night with torches and tools at the ready, although what they would do with anything they find is a matter not even they have answered.

One particular young woman has sparked the interest of a travelling band of knights errant as well, and while none of you remember encountering her, much less kidnapping or eating her, you are still all being held accountable for her absence. So far, there have been a few very unlucky wild boar speared in her name, but little else has come of it.

Any sensible monster would of course be lying low in Gilly's Cut, where a slip fault has left a natural trench twice the height of an ogre and thirty paces across nearly half a mile long, and thick enough with trees to weather the night. Whether or not you are a sensible monster (or indeed a monster at all) is up for debate, but tonight, with angry voices on every hill, you find yourself hunkered down there, at least for a while.

I've deliberately left it open as to whether your characters are there together because they know each other, or whether they're simply in the only sensible hiding place at the time. In fact, given the size of the hiding place, you don't have to be together at all.
Obviously, I've left a lot of detail out here, so you only know what you want to know. Just ask for additional info at any point.
As you may have noticed, we don't have a very creative campaign name.

chrisrawr
2011-04-13, 05:49 PM
((OOC: Xendriz (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=15361) will use Green :3))

Xendriz sniffs the air, and shudders. He knew, of course, that it was only a matter of time before the vermin called "Man" would spread through the land - robbing it of beauty and taming it in their pursuit of progress. The elves had already taken their forests and succeeded from the world, the littlefolk and fae ones all but legend in these times. Still, the noble beasts - the Gryffin and Dragon, Manticore and Minotaur - would roam the lands or be brought low as nature dictates. As strength goes, they say. If a trinket or bauble would stop the farmers from hunting him down for eating their sheep, the strong would leave a trinket or bauble.

Of course, appeasement didn't seem like it would be worth trying in this case. Some birth-cursed brute had gone and taken one of the humans' own. Pitchforks and fire are comical weapons, when fighting 'monsters' whose claws are sharper and longer, or whose own breath is hotter and larger - that is, until there's not a patch of skin or scale remaining that hasn't been stabbed or prodded by some bent tine, and half the forest is burned down from the careless humans' clumsy pyro-mastery. With humans, it's sometimes best just to leave well enough alone.

He's interrupted from his miserly contemplation by a curious creature.

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-13, 05:58 PM
Hrran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=288450) will use red.

A massive creature with seven heads and four claws flies around, despite having no wings, and lands. It's heads, acting as one, address the monsters near it.

We are Hrran. And you?

Kyrinthic
2011-04-13, 07:49 PM
Elisande (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=288663)

A six armed woman with the lower body of a snake replies "bored. I almost hope they do stumble in here. Wouldnt it be comical to see them run screaming into the night when they realize how real their fears are."

-Kyrinthic

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-13, 08:16 PM
See, I would ignore that particular bit where it didn't fit (I'm planning to have demihumans exist more-or-less in the open), if it was for

The elves had already taken their forests and succeeded from the world
which makes it sound like the elves won at life so hard they just disappeared. So that's what happened. I'm fairly sure the word you're looking for is seceded, by the way, although succeed could also mean went underground, I suppose. In any case...

Lyndworm
2011-04-13, 09:35 PM
Nurgett (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=288812)

"Oh, yes... I have seen these fears of which you speak." Calls the small troll from across the gap. "On numerous occasions, I have seen the humans flee. More often, however, I have seen them lash out, destroying everything around them. They are like enraged animals. When pushed, are not we all?"

chrisrawr
2011-04-13, 10:24 PM
See, I would ignore that particular bit where it didn't fit (I'm planning to have demihumans exist more-or-less in the open), if it was for

which makes it sound like the elves won at life so hard they just disappeared. So that's what happened. I'm fairly sure the word you're looking for is seceded, by the way, although succeed could also mean went underground, I suppose. In any case...

Ah, yes. No excuse for that one, seceded is indeed what I'd meant xD And it was a calculated risk on my part - I figured, hey, if monsters are so scarce, elves probably aren't here, either.

The Antigamer
2011-04-14, 01:30 AM
:smallsigh:
I don't know what's going on with myth-weavers on my laptop, but apparently I can't save anything, on any of my sheets. I'm going to do a full investigation of this tomorrow after my job interview I've been prepping for.

A pale face with a devilish grin emerges from the underside of a treetop. Somehow, the top hat above the being's ear-splitting grin and crazed red eyes keeps from falling, as he hangs with crooked knees around a tree branch.

"What a lovely evening it is tonight! And look Rictus, we've an audience! I do believe some merriment is in order!"

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-14, 03:02 PM
Merriment? Hardly. This is a time of sadness, trouble.

As the hydra speaks, its heads flail around wildly.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 03:11 PM
"Is not one man's sadness another man's merriment?" The troll gins broadly, showing several rows of undeniably sharp teeth.

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-14, 03:13 PM
Indeed, some see everything as a reason to celebrate. But we are more... pragmatic.

chrisrawr
2011-04-14, 04:38 PM
((OOC: As a question of note, will rrkkskrrk be making passive rolls for us? It does so speed things up :I. Also, is there an OOC thread? ))

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-14, 04:41 PM
There isn't currently an OOC thread; I can make one if it's needed, but I prefer having the one thread for everything. I may make some passive rolls, but for the most part, tell me what you're looking at/for, and I'll tell you what you see.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-14, 05:18 PM
Speaking of which, let's have some listen rolls, shall we?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

None of you hear anything out of the ordinary, though Nurgett and Hrran might notice that there was a lot more to hear, say, five minutes ago.

chrisrawr
2011-04-14, 05:19 PM
((OOC: no problem about the OOC, I was just wondering. ))

Xendriz flicks his tail idly as the others talk. During a lull in the conversation, he asks, "Do any of you know who's behind this mess, perchance? That's a throat I wouldn't mind muddying my mane to masticate."

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 05:32 PM
"All alliteration aside, quiet yourself, Manticore. Do you hear that?" The troll puts a hand to his misshapen ear.

chrisrawr
2011-04-14, 06:15 PM
Leaning close to whisper, "Hear what?" he asks, "I don't hear anything."

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 06:20 PM
"Exactly." The troll lifts his head into the air and breaths deeply, trying to catch any scents in the area.

Nurgett can detect normal smells out to 30ft, strong smells out to 60ft, and smoke or fire out to 120ft.

OoC:
Thanks for setting me up like that, Chris. I've always wanted to do that. :smallwink:

chrisrawr
2011-04-14, 06:31 PM
((OOC: You clever devil, you ;D I thought you'd gotten a PM or something :3 Xendriz also has scent.))

Xendriz lets out a mix between a chuckle and a purr - despite his draconic body and eerily human face, his throat (and beautiful mane) is all cat. Useful, for scaring the little ones.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-14, 07:12 PM
Xendriz and Nurgett
The air positively stinks of burning pitch and other smoky materials. There is, however, a prevailing wind in your direction, which means it may not be as close as it would smell on a still night.

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-14, 07:30 PM
For future reference, I have Scent as well.

Something's burning!

Kyrinthic
2011-04-14, 08:10 PM
"Oh good, it will feel just like home then"

Elisande chuckles

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 08:21 PM
"Something is indeed burning. It's more than fire, though... I smell pitch. There's no reason for it to be out this far. Somebody is bringing it, and that means that there are at least two people, likely quite a few more. I, for one, would not like to be in this ditch when they pour that mess down here." Nurgett moves to get out the way he came in, pausing only for a response.

chrisrawr
2011-04-14, 09:40 PM
With another rumbling chuckle, Xendriz - aided by his wings - hops out of the trench, away from the smell. Keeping amongst the trees and shrub, he sidles along the trench's edge, hoping to gain sight of what he might. He hopes he doesn't have to take flight yet again this night - refuge and succor had been slim and none these past weeks.

Hide, move silently, spot/listen - respectively.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
ohshi- I can't even see my NOSE D:

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-14, 11:42 PM
A sudden rustle comes from a patch of undergrowth in the direction of the smoke. A feminine voice sounds from the growth as footsteps inexplicably appear in the vines"Aargh! Stupid vines!" A slash appears in the foliage and a feline woman suddenly pops into view. "Well, luckily these humans have the senses of a half-asleep ogre." she says as she slinks to the trees and seemingly vanishes again.

TekHed
2011-04-15, 09:36 AM
Neko-Chan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=289227) also has Scent.

Meanwhile atop the edge of Gilly's cut, a small flame-pointed house cat tip-toes nimbly along the leafy lip. It's deep blue eyes scanned the gully floor, vertical pupils widening to absorb more light from the shadowy recesses therein. Should any of the creatures below notice the feline observing them, the cat locks eye contact, holding for a couple seconds before dismissively looking away, sitting down on it's haunches, and licking the fur straight on it's fore-paw.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/3413/pookie.jpg

There's your Flame-Point Chrisrawr! :smallbiggrin:

Chrisrawr: For future reference, since we are using one thread (which I kinda like!), can we keep all OOC commentary in Spoiler tags unless necessary (i.e. labeling one set of spoiler tags private)?

BIllyBobJoe:Can you please edit your first IC post there to contain a linky to your sheet?

Also:

"That's a throat I wouldn't mind muddying my mane to masticate." "All alliteration aside, quiet yourself, Manticore. Do you hear that?"

You made me chuckle. :smallsmile:

Oh yeah...rolls!

Spot: 1d20+10
Listen: 1d20+8

Hmmm...am I getting the code wrong or sumfin?

Kyrinthic
2011-04-15, 10:15 AM
If you preview before you post with rolls in it, it buggers up the rolls, thats probably what happened.

TekHed
2011-04-15, 11:09 AM
How inconvenient.

[roll0] (Spot)
[roll1] (Listen)

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-16, 06:25 PM
Xendriz
You glide silently out of the trench, and hide amongst the trees, where you immediately become distracted by the wood around you, successfully hiding even from yourself. If you ever see anything, though, you'll be in a prime position to watch unseen.

Neko-chan
You don't hear anything, but you do spot where the smell of pitch is coming from: a thin column of black smoke is blotting out an area of stars some distance away, and a faint glow of firelight is occasionally obstructed by small figures, some of which are large enough to be on horseback. As you watch, something else goes up in flames.
Inside the trench, you easily spot all but Xendriz, who you see until he disappears into the woods. There are several other shadowy shapes as well, but until they move they could just be local wildlife.

Lyndworm
2011-04-16, 08:54 PM
Without anybody telling him to not do so, Nurgget continues to leave Gilly's Cut.

Hide:
[roll0]

Listen:
[roll1]

Move Silently:
[roll2]

Spot:
[roll3]

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-17, 12:53 PM
Hrran lifts his nonexistant wings and flies out to see what's going on, following Nurgget.

Hide: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

Move Silently: [roll2]

Spot: [roll3]

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-17, 07:19 PM
I will be moving for this week, so I will have no internet access for the next week. Sorry about that.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-18, 02:21 AM
BillyBobJoe
No problem. We'll assume your character tags along for any major movement.

Nurgget
From your new vantage point it's fairly clear that you have a mob on your hands. A thin column of smoke is blocking out part of the night sky in the distance, and a faint glow lights up a mass of moving bodies, flanked by a smaller group of mounted figures that don't seem to be fully part of the same group. The smell of pitch is still strong, and you can just about make out the source of the glow, which is, as you would have suspected, a cauldron of the stuff.
Despite the sparse cover on this side of the trench, you're able to hide yourself fairly easily, using the scattered rock and bushes around the outside to keep yourself out of sight.

Hrran
You see everything that Nurgget sees, plus you can start to make out the beginnings of the voices if you strain your ears. It concerns the missing girl in several places, but more significantly, the mob and the mounted figures seem to have had a falling-out, and one group is very angry at the other.

Lyndworm
2011-04-18, 03:30 AM
Nurgett tries to call out to the others without alerting the mob. "It's the humans! They've followed us to Gilly's Cut."

Can I get a rough description of the nearby area? For example, if I intended to flee, in which direction could I run? How likely is it to find more hiding places? Standard topographical curiosity, really.

TekHed
2011-04-18, 08:50 AM
The cat looks up and over to Nurgett following his outburst but gives no indication of understanding and goes back to cleaning it's fur.

However a voice resounds in Nurgett's mind of unknown origin.

<<With all the noise you're making, it's no wonder they found you.>>

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-18, 09:08 AM
The hydra turns to Nurgett.

And you are worried? Certainly, if we are in the cave when they burn it down, it will be very bad. But out here, in the open? We, for one, do not think they stand a chance against our combined might.

chrisrawr
2011-04-18, 12:03 PM
[roll0]Listen to see if I heard the hydra talk, if so...

"You would slaughter the humans so openly?" Xendriz choked out, unable to wrap his head around such lunacy, "A mob-gathering has arisen over ONE of their kin gone missing, how many cities and towns would arm themselves and militia over such mass murder?"

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-18, 03:29 PM
You misunderstand us. We should not go out of our way to fight, but neither should we run and hide like cowards.

Lyndworm
2011-04-18, 04:03 PM
"You misunderstand us, Hydra. It is not cowardice to flee when placed in a poor situation, it is cowardice to flee without consideration. Even if it were, your opinion would hardly matter when your burned, broken body lay at the bottom of this ditch. Yes, we could easily slaughter these vermin. We could slaughter ten times their number, in all likelihood. Could we stand against one hundred times their number? I would rather not take that risk, and that's exactly the risk I'd be taking were I to attack first."

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-18, 04:23 PM
Argh... We are not proposing to attack first, merely that there is no reason to hide. If we do, they will believe that we consider them a threat. Perhaps we do, but we feel that we should not show it at this time. Nontheless, we assure you: whatever we do, you will not be accountable.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-18, 04:30 PM
"they are fools, they should know not to come here, and if they choose to, then they will die. If they bring more, well, lets just say I dont think they will be able to sneak enough of the vermin close enough to attack without making all kinds of noise"

"I think its about time they learned to fear us, rather than think it fine to hunt us"

chrisrawr
2011-04-18, 06:36 PM
"Tell me, friends - can you tell one human from another? Do they not all smell the same, look the same, move the same? Even the gifted among them could not smell the difference between a troll and an ogre. THINK! Was it not a single death, by a single beast, that has caused an entire community of the vermin to hunt not only it, but all of us?" Xendriz was bristling, now, anger at the arrogance and recklessness present. "Your actions will get us all killed, so we are responsible for one another - and if you wish to slay the humans, you will first need to slay me; for that is what you will most assuredly be doing, if you harm the humans further."

Then, specifically towards Elisande, "Their fear is what causes them to hunt us. They destroy what they do not understand - I've watched them burn and bury calves with extra legs for no reason more than it seems to them unnatural, despite the extra meat such a beast would provide. What will you do when they bring their priests and mages of war to track us down? When their hunters are awarded bounty for our heads? The hydra has plenty to spare, but I like mine where it is."

Kyrinthic
2011-04-18, 08:02 PM
"Not my actions, theirs."

"I could be out hunting them for sport, but I see how they are. But I will not be cowed. If they bring great armies, then I will move perhaps, but I will not run away from a handful of peasents carrying pitchforks and torches."

"If you so desperately want to protect them, fly on over and offer your services, I'm sure they would be overjoyed. I assure you, if they come down this canyon, and you stand between me and them, I wont have to kill you."

And yeah, arrogant and reckless sound about right, I am a demon after all ;)
Honestly, I'm trying to tone the CE down to a managable level, but I gotta be a little evil :)

chrisrawr
2011-04-18, 08:07 PM
((OOC: No need to apologize for the actions of your character; CE and CG are quite opposed, and in this case, your character is unable to see why exactly killing them would be a bad idea, and mine is unable to see why it would be a good one. Nevertheless, Xendriz will try and stop a war from escalating between humans and monsters - nobody wins when you start a fight with humans.

Post reserved for later.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-18, 09:54 PM
Nurgett, and anyone else surveying the landscape.
Your surroundings are lightly wooded hills beyond Gilly's Cut, and the same rough hills in front of you, but minus the trees, which have been put paid to by sheep. Both sides have occassional rocky outcrops, many of which are focused on either side of the Cut. The land is flattest parallel to the trench itself, which extends about a quarter of a mile in either direction from where you stand, but if you were willing to climb down and back up, it would be equally easy to disappear into the woods.
Running in most directions would require at least some scrambling, as the slopes are relatively steep and the terrain and vegetation rough. There is a path through, but depending on which direction the mob ends up approaching from this may lead towards them rather than away. From the angle that they are currently at, however, this will be at right angles to their approach.
The mob, by the way, is approaching fast. It is now clear that the outriders are some sort of knight, which the local village has very few of. These are likely to be here on some form of errand.

Xendriz
You do in fact hear the hydra.

Everyone
While you talk, the mob has got significantly closer, though they appear to be moving at random tangents rather than directly towards you. The mass is now obviously visible, as is the glow of the cauldron of pitch, and those of you with sharper vision might be able to make out more about it.

Lyndworm
2011-04-18, 10:45 PM
Nurgett watches the mob approach as the others squabble. "While you argue about the ethical treatment of humans, they draw nearer. I'm leaving before I get tarred." The troll saunters towards the forest.

Climb:
[roll0]

Hide:
[roll1]

Listen:
[roll2]

Move Silently:
[roll3]

Spot:
[roll4]

OoC:
Wow, really? :smallannoyed:

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-19, 09:06 AM
The hydra flies straight up into the air.

chrisrawr
2011-04-19, 12:12 PM
Xendriz holds, ready to ambush Elisande should she show more hostile intent towards the humans. If she leaves, he follows her.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-19, 07:54 PM
Nurgett
You momentarily forget that it is difficult to saunter down a cliff, and briefly get stuck halfway down as you try to avoid the trip down becoming a lot shorter.

TekHed
2011-04-20, 05:16 AM
Where has that Hidimba gone off too. I swear that cat would get lost if it weren't for me.

The cat, assured that it's fur and appearance remained immaculate, now stood back up and moved along the lip of the ravine towards the end the humans were approaching from.

Curiosity...

Kyrinthic
2011-04-20, 12:30 PM
Elisande watches Xendriz curiously, but stands her ground. Moving somewhat to watch the oncoming humans from below the edge of the hill.

Once they come close enough for her to size up their overall skill level, she will evaluate if she has a fair chance of winning a fight, if it came to that.

Sorry if you were waiting on me, sometimes 'I stay where I am' should probably be typed out not just assumed :)

Kallisti
2011-04-21, 02:31 PM
Rictus

A single, feline eye appears in the air, hovering over Oliver's shoulder, then a voice, seeming to emanate from all around. "Can they describe what they cannot truly see? If we break the bonds of flesh we will make the world apparent. I think they see all too much without that assistance, don't you?" Another eye appears, and a mouth full of fangs stretched into a twisted grin.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-23, 04:47 PM
Sorry for the lack of posting over the last few days; just had the busiest two days of my life.

Elisande
You can't tell much about the humans from this distance, but there are enough of them that you could be overwhelmed by sheer numbers, and the horsemen around the main mob look like they mean business.

Nurgett
You can retry your climb check to get further if you want, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Hrran
The sudden change in movement of the moment and their horseback companions makes it very clear that they've spotted you, and their movement in your direction becomes a lot more direct.

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-23, 04:51 PM
Hrran continues to climb up until he is clearly out of reach. He then addresses the humans.

So, you see us now? However, it seems there is a slight problem: I have no desire to come down and fight you, and you cannot reach me. Perhaps we should talk out our problems, for the time being?

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-23, 05:02 PM
Hrran
At least one of the mob has a bow, and makes a half-hearted pot shot at you. It misses spectacularly, but that doesn't seem to deter them, and soon they make several more, all the while getting closer.
You have a choice of being out of range or within earshot; while you're not at any real risk from bows either way, you would be too high up to be audible. In addition, they probably can't hear you yet due to horizontal distance, so any interactions at the moment are based on them being completely unable to hear what you just said.

chrisrawr
2011-04-23, 05:26 PM
I flick my tail warningly in the succubus' direction, voice low now that the humans grow close. "Ten seconds, hag. One scratch on your body, and I'll have no trouble hunting you to the ends of the earth should you escape. If you give them one reason to inconvenience me further, I'll find you. Leave. Now."

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-23, 05:42 PM
Hrran flies back down slightly before repeating his message.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-23, 06:15 PM
Hrran
The humans interpret your sudden drop and approach as an attempt to attack; and briefly loose several more shots while the more timid amongst them scatter. Once they hear your message, the reply is mostly a mess of insults and shouted defiance while they attempt to elect a spokesman. Several of the knights riding with them shout their own challenges, but eventually a single peasant steps out of the mob and raises a billhook in your direction.
"You'll pay for what you've done, monster!"

Kyrinthic
2011-04-23, 07:53 PM
I flick my tail warningly in the succubus' direction, voice low now that the humans grow close. "Ten seconds, hag. One scratch on your body, and I'll have no trouble hunting you to the ends of the earth should you escape. If you give them one reason to inconvenience me further, I'll find you. Leave. Now."

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I'm a marilith not a succubus

Elisande laughs, "So smallminded, If I was concerned with leaving you, there are places far further, and far more lethal than the earth that I can go."

"If you lay one mangy claw upon me, you will lose the arm to which it is attached. Flee if you wish, but do not presume to order your betters about."

Watching Hraans actions for a moment, she continues, "I hardly see where I will need to do anything, the Hydra is riling them up just fine on his own, perhaps you should take your mothering to him?"

dragonsamurai77
2011-04-23, 08:27 PM
What we've done? Ah, I suppose you mean the girl. We cannot speak for the rest of them, but we assure you that we did nothing to her. Of course, I doubt you'll believe us, unless...

We know. What if we were to find her? After all, if she is alive, she clearly was not eaten. Will you give us a chance, or will you continue to let your minds be clouded by hatred?

Hrran will immediately flee in response to any aggressive response, but will otherwise stay put.

OOC: I'm fairly sure this is our intended plot hook, but if not, please excuse my idiocy.

chrisrawr
2011-04-23, 09:15 PM
"The hydra isn't trying for violence, for one. For another, the hydra can fly. In either case, your time to get moving has just run out!"

Feeling the risk of having a six-armed slaughter machine this close to the humans has reached a point where he can no longer ignore it and expect to stay invisible to the humans' warmongering, Xenriz leaps high into the air. His boisterous wings lift him quickly towards the serpent demon, and higher still. When he feels close enough to strike, he launches a salvo of spines from his at her, remarking, "I shan't lay a paw on you, but I may devour you as your last breath flees your body!"

Fly-by attack, moving towards and 15 feet above Ellisande - Modifiers +1 atk/dmg for point-blank shot, +1 atk for higher ground. Each attack needs 10+ to hit, unless she is unable to be caught flat-footed, or denied Dex to AC, in which case this becomes 13+.

Each hit that deals damage applies a -5ft speed modifier, a -1AC modifier, deals 1 point of Con damage, and applies a 1Con penalty.
In addition to the chosen penalties, a foe suffers a -2 to concentration checks for each spike lodged in their flesh. A foe may remove 1d3 spikes from their person with a full round action that requires a free hand and provokes attacks of opportunity. It is easier to remove the spikes from another than to pull them from one's own flesh: a foe can remove 1d4 spikes from one of their comrades with a standard action.

Crit on 17+, sneak attack damage added to crit.
Attack 1: [roll0] Crit Confirm: [roll1] Crit Sneak Attack Damage [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3] Crit Confirm: [roll4] Crit Sneak Attack Damage [roll5]
Attack 3: [roll6] Crit Confirm: [roll7] Crit Sneak Attack Damage [roll8]

Damage 1: [roll9] Crit damage [roll10]
Damage 2: [roll11] Crit damage [roll12]
Damage 3: [roll13] Crit damage [roll14]

If she is flat-footed, the following also applies:
Sneak Attack Damage 1: [roll15]
Sneak Attack Damage 2: [roll16]
Sneak Attack Damage 3: [roll17]

((OOCEdit: If anyone spots something wrong with this, please, call me out so I can fix it :smallbiggrin:))

TekHed
2011-04-23, 09:38 PM
OOC:I believe it's the Hrann the Hydra that has gotten them riled up, not Nurgett the Troll. Between that and the Marilith being mistaken for a Succubus, perhaps we should add a spoiler to the first post containing a table with player name/character name/creature type, at least until we all get the hang of it.

Neko-chan continued to observe the unfolding situation with curiosity, content that he remained quite safe in his disguise. Neither the beasties below nor above, nor the humans with their fire and steel had paid him so much as a second glance. Keen ears picked up the hydra's plea and heard the human's response. So they were upset over a missing female? And had surmise (and quite naturally so) that she had been taken for snacking by one of these predators of the wild.

Interesting.

Neko took mental notes about each of the creatures he had observed...

The many-armed demon, Neko recognized as a Marilith from one of his former master's infernal grimoire's. Given his consorting with such creature's led to the Mortigaunt the Mad's untimely demise, Neko knew they were trouble. This one seemed to be particularly arrogant and just as bloodthirsty. Seemed to be at odds with the Manticore.

Hmm, the manticore. This one seemed more intelligent than others of it's ilk, and had deduced the principles of enlightened self-interest when it came to interfering in the lives of others. If those two came to blows they would be easily picked off by the marauding humans who by now were beginning to get uncomfortably close. Not that they posed any direct threat to him...he could always fly away...but it would blow his cover and the chance for getting scraps and cream back at the village would be greatly diminished.

The Troll seemed similarly wizened, but less concerned about the moral quandaries of slaughtering humans and more about high-tailing it out of there...to which Nejo was inclined to agree.

The last couple of new arrivals made the hair on Neko's scruff stand up on end. The strange humanoid thing with the wicked grin...and the floating grimace in the air beside it were just all sorts of wrong in the world. Neko made a mental note to remain as far from them as felinely possible...

But what's this??? The manticore seemed to have finally had enough of talking trash to the amply appendaged outsider and had taken flight to attack! This did not bode well for any of them...

Taking cover under some shrubbery, Neko-chan watched with growing concern the events as the unfolded.

Now where in the black abyss has Hidimba disappeared to? This is no time for hunting...

Hide: [roll0]

Kyrinthic
2011-04-23, 10:18 PM
OOC: I see no reason why I would be flat footed when we are both warily eying each other and neither of us is hiding, my AC vs ranged is 24, so the middle attack hits, it wasnt a 17+ so its not a crit, and I presume its not a cold iron spike, so I will take 2 damage from it.

Elisande rolls her eyes "Clearly this is a fine way to keep a low profile. My patience is limited, if you are so desparate to not provoke the humans, perhaps stop flying around making a spectacle of yourself."

Elisande does enter the child of shadow stance and full defense action, moving 10 feet further away from you while she says this. I'm not stupid after all :)

chrisrawr
2011-04-23, 10:26 PM
Flat footed because you haven't yet acted this combat, and because I was completely hidden before I attacked.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-23, 10:37 PM
Flat footed because you haven't yet acted this combat, and because I was completely hidden before I attacked.

You werent, we were talking. You said you 'hold, ready to ambush' then started talking, making no concern at the time of my saying 'Elisande watches Xendriz curiously'.
And even so, you moved before the attack, meaning you were not hidden at the time of the attack.

I would assume, since we've been threatening each other, the start of the encounter was some while ago, but if you want to go by literal, then you would at least need to roll off initiative, since its about who initiative comes first, not actually who takes an action first.

Also, you forgot to add the -4 to attacks from the single target spike volley.

My initative will be [roll0]

TekHed
2011-04-23, 10:38 PM
Really? PvP already??? I was afraid of this when the applicants alignments were so opposed...

Kyrinthic
2011-04-23, 10:44 PM
Really? PvP already??? I was afraid of this when the applicants alignments were so opposed...

Hey now, to be fair, I didnt start this.
I'm playing the chaotic evil demon, and am somewhat breaking character trying to avoid it :/

TekHed
2011-04-23, 10:51 PM
Hey now, to be fair, I didnt start this.
I'm playing the chaotic evil demon, and am somewhat breaking character trying to avoid it :/

Heh. True that. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2011-04-24, 02:36 AM
Nurgett continues to flee, ignoring the petty arguments of the creatures behind himself.

Climb:
[roll0]

OoC:
Sorry I've been gone; it's crazy around here because of Easter. Tomorrow doesn't look any better, but Monday will probably be an improvement. Sorry about all of that. It being 2:30AM and all, my post is sadly lacking in substance. I'll be off to bed shortly, but I hope to check in sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening and again later. I can't make any guarantees, though. :smallfrown:

chrisrawr
2011-04-24, 03:37 PM
The DM said that none of you could see me after I rolled my hide check. No one's done a spot check that can beat my hide yet, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be flat-footed against my attack. Conversing with me

Also, I don't think I forgot the -4 from spike volley. My normal ranged is 13, -4 to 9, +1 from pbs, +1 from higher ground. If this is incorrect, please point out what I can fix for it. I do concede that, if the DM says we were already in an encounter situation, you would not be flat-footed from not having acted, and you may have first action if my initiative is lower, in which case my rolls and attack would be retroactive depending on if you find me or not; however, you are still flat-footed if I am hidden. Moving while hidden imposes a -5 penalty, meaning you still have to reach a 25 to spot me, I believe. Initiative [roll0]

Kyrinthic
2011-04-24, 04:22 PM
The DM said that none of you could see me after I rolled my hide check. No one's done a spot check that can beat my hide yet, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be flat-footed against my attack. Conversing with me

Also, I don't think I forgot the -4 from spike volley. My normal ranged is 13, -4 to 9, +1 from pbs, +1 from higher ground. If this is incorrect, please point out what I can fix for it. I do concede that, if the DM says we were already in an encounter situation, you would not be flat-footed from not having acted, and you may have first action if my initiative is lower, in which case my rolls and attack would be retroactive depending on if you find me or not; however, you are still flat-footed if I am hidden. Moving while hidden imposes a -5 penalty, meaning you still have to reach a 25 to spot me, I believe. Initiative [roll0]

And according to the SRD, "It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking". Hide skill is not the invisibility spell, it means you are good at hiding behind things, not flying through the air invisible.

I can see you on the like a 10, so a 2 or higher. The listen check to be aware of you talking in a normal tone is even less I think. And I beat your initiative, so I'm not flat footed there.

heres your checks.
spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

And finally, because this kinda of retarded out of the blue interparty pvp always ruins games, I'm going to take a different action on my turn, since we keep arguing over the specifics and no-one else has done anything relevent.

Activating my anklet of transportation to teleport 10 feet up, and thus into reach of you, I will attack you a whole lot of times, then take [roll2] for falling back down.

Attack: [roll3] to hit. [roll4] base, [roll5] skirmish [roll6] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll7] to hit. [roll8] base, [roll9] skirmish [roll10] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll11] to hit. [roll12] base, [roll13] skirmish [roll14] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll15] to hit. [roll16] base, [roll17] skirmish [roll18] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll19] to hit. [roll20] base, [roll21] skirmish [roll22] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll23] to hit. [roll24] base, [roll25] skirmish [roll26] fire skirmish.
Attack: [roll27] to hit. [roll28] base, [roll29] skirmish [roll30] fire skirmish.

Attack: [roll31] for [roll32] base, [roll33] skirmish [roll34] fire skirmish.
If this tail attack hits, it intiates a grapple for free [roll35] which will deal [roll36] damage if the grapple is successful.
And if grappled, I believe you would fall to take [roll37] with me. (or maybe I would stay and not take the 1d6, not really sure how that would work).

edit: and of course I cant roll above a 10, so this is just going drag on. sorry everyone.

chrisrawr
2011-04-24, 05:58 PM
The -20 for sniping is to hide after an attack has been made. I attacked from hiding while moving - only a -5 penalty for moving faster than half-speed, which you nevertheless manage to spot me at. I agree that inter party PVP is usually silly, but our characters are quite at an impasse - Xendriz is dead-set against someone or something stirring the humans up into a genocidal mob, which is what he perceives Elisande's hostility to be capable of. Unless Elisande does something to horribly piss him off, he's got no other reason to rally against her, and isn't the the type to subscribe to any kind of 'justice' system.

Also, did you add the +1 to attack from masterwork to your rolls? As well, aren't the penalties for multi-weapon fighting with light weapons in the off hand (or in your case, the feat that treats them as such) made at -2 for main hand, and -6 for off-hands?

Kyrinthic
2011-04-24, 06:31 PM
The -20 for sniping is to hide after an attack has been made. I attacked from hiding while moving - only a -5 penalty for moving faster than half-speed, which you nevertheless manage to spot me at. I agree that inter party PVP is usually silly, but our characters are quite at an impasse - Xendriz is dead-set against someone or something stirring the humans up into a genocidal mob, which is what he perceives Elisande's hostility to be capable of. Unless Elisande does something to horribly piss him off, he's got no other reason to rally against her, and isn't the the type to subscribe to any kind of 'justice' system.

Also, did you add the +1 to attack from masterwork to your rolls? As well, aren't the penalties for multi-weapon fighting with light weapons in the off hand (or in your case, the feat that treats them as such) made at -2 for main hand, and -6 for off-hands?

I am actually working a bit against alignment trying to avoid a fight, I am not going to listen to your character try to tell me what to do, and actually, is less likely to do it the more you push, as she doesnt like to be seen as backing down. That said, hiding in a gully peaking over the hill, waiting to see what they do, and trying to tell them to go away if they do come in is basically what the hydra is doing as well (except I at last have a human face ;).

That was basically my plan too, I can outrun the people, and maybe even the horses (I'd have to double check, and depends on what type of horse they are), so I could conceivably try to talk to them before running away, I was just going to wait till they got to me, whereas hraan went to them.

The point is we are all sorta at the last decent hold out in the woods, as near as I can tell we dont have much of any place to go from here, so we should at least try to difuse the situation. Just because my character is a bitch doesnt mean I am going to go start a monster hunt that would be bad for me.

That said, if you want me to step back to the initial response, and try to work with me to not turn this into a combat, I'd like that (and not just because my attack rolls were incredibly aweful ;))

With the multiweapon fighting feat its -2 around, much like two weapon fighting, just with more arms. And that is basically countered by the +1 from masterwork and the +1 from weapon focus (differently named, from swordsage levels). So long as they are all light weapons (or not, because I took wield oversized weapon to get rid of that part of the penalty, cause 6 scimitars is way cooler than 6 shortswords or kukris or whatever light weapon aligns with desert wind).

chrisrawr
2011-04-24, 06:42 PM
Multiweapon fighting only reduce the penalties by 2, not to 2. The penalties start off as -6, -10. +2 from light, +2 from MWF. It's quite different from TWF in that respect. The difference between Hraan and Elisande is that Hraan has implied in his speech that he isn't a psychopath, and only wants to diffuse the situation, whereas Elisande's character has shown many sociopathic traits and repeatedly expressed her desire to killmaimslaughter every last one of the 'vermin'. Is there any way Elisande can be convinced to remove herself from an antagonistic position towards the human blob? If so, we can recap from a point at which introducing such an argument would be beneficial.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-24, 07:06 PM
Multiweapon fighting only reduce the penalties by 2, not to 2. The penalties start off as -6, -10. +2 from light, +2 from MWF. It's quite different from TWF in that respect. The difference between Hraan and Elisande is that Hraan has implied in his speech that he isn't a psychopath, and only wants to diffuse the situation, whereas Elisande's character has shown many sociopathic traits and repeatedly expressed her desire to killmaimslaughter every last one of the 'vermin'. Is there any way Elisande can be convinced to remove herself from an antagonistic position towards the human blob? If so, we can recap from a point at which introducing such an argument would be beneficial.

Benefit
Feat reads "Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands."

Two weapon fighting reads:
"If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. You suffer a -6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a -10 penalty to the attack with your off hand when you fight this way. You can reduce these penalties in two ways:

If your off-hand weapon is light, the penalties are reduced by 2 each. (An unarmed strike is always considered light.)"

So, base -6/-10. multiweapon fighting brings it to -4/-4, multiweapon fighting with light weapon goes down to -2/-2

Anyhow,

For the records, you are the agressor here, you are trying to tell a character that does not know you what to do, and then attacking when they dont do as you told them to. I had done no agressive action, and was just watching the situation so far, I only suggested that I wasnt afraid of them if it came to it, as I doubt any of us would be afraid of a mob of humans.

I cant in fair concience roll over and whatnot, but I had (before I got annoyed earlier) been trying to be non-agressive without being passive.

Lets try adding to my last comment...

( Elisande rolls her eyes "Clearly this is a fine way to keep a low profile. My patience is limited, if you are so desparate to not provoke the humans, perhaps stop flying around making a spectacle of yourself." )

"let us see if the hydra can make some progress before we resort to this, I'm not overly eager to deal with a mob of these beasts in any event.", she continues, hunching down a little lower behind the hill to watch.

chrisrawr
2011-04-24, 08:10 PM
My MM1 only says "Penalties are reduced by 2", while my MM3 lists the bonuses you've stated. Was there an errata? Also, it is night and humans can't see us because they lack darkvision of any sort and spot checks are a pain at any distance approaching 300 feet, even in daylight. As a side note, an amusing consequence of spot rules is that no one can see the sun, no one without flying has seen clouds, and the world disappears after about 600 feet if your spot check is amazing.

Xendriz is using a nonlawful version of what we call "preemptive self defense." Elisande's manner towards the humans shows a complete lack of forethought and consequence accountability. In a world where Xendriz can remove the threat she represents, he will try to do so - either through diplomacy or by eating her. Diplomacy so far has failed - He has tried his version of reason, and when that failed, he delivered an ultimatum. He made it perfectly clear that not being hunted by the humans was more important than Elisande's casual contempt - I have not denied that he is the aggressor, but that does not make his actions the cause of this dispute, nor does it make him wholly accountable for the results. It would break character for Xendriz to kill the humans, whereas Elisande, as a fairly intelligent demon, should have no problem recognizing her poor political position (fight a Manticore, or start a genocide against herself - neither of those seem very happy). She might not back down, as that probably would break character (assuming, from your portrayal of her so far), but as you've posted - waiting on the situation to change is quite in style for a predator of her caliber. Redacting the ultimatum, we're in a position where it's clear Xendriz intends to move on Elisande should she conduct hostilities. I suppose she could consider it a compliment that he feels she represents the largest threat?

Xendriz flies over and up, the trench and mob becoming miniature beneath him. He drifts down in lazy circles between the hydra and the marilith, keeping altitude in the 70 zone - close enough to hear and see, but far enough to keep out of torchlight, and out of range for those with vision less acute than his own.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-24, 09:56 PM
My MM1 only says "Penalties are reduced by 2", while my MM3 lists the bonuses you've stated. Was there an errata? Also, it is night and humans can't see us because they lack darkvision of any sort and spot checks are a pain at any distance approaching 300 feet, even in daylight. As a side note, an amusing consequence of spot rules is that no one can see the sun, no one without flying has seen clouds, and the world disappears after about 600 feet if your spot check is amazing.

Xendriz is using a nonlawful version of what we call "preemptive self defense." Elisande's manner towards the humans shows a complete lack of forethought and consequence accountability. In a world where Xendriz can remove the threat she represents, he will try to do so - either through diplomacy or by eating her. Diplomacy so far has failed - He has tried his version of reason, and when that failed, he delivered an ultimatum. He made it perfectly clear that not being hunted by the humans was more important than Elisande's casual contempt - I have not denied that he is the aggressor, but that does not make his actions the cause of this dispute, nor does it make him wholly accountable for the results. It would break character for Xendriz to kill the humans, whereas Elisande, as a fairly intelligent demon, should have no problem recognizing her poor political position (fight a Manticore, or start a genocide against herself - neither of those seem very happy). She might not back down, as that probably would break character (assuming, from your portrayal of her so far), but as you've posted - waiting on the situation to change is quite in style for a predator of her caliber. Redacting the ultimatum, we're in a position where it's clear Xendriz intends to move on Elisande should she conduct hostilities. I suppose she could consider it a compliment that he feels she represents the largest threat?

Xendriz flies over and up, the trench and mob becoming miniature beneath him. He drifts down in lazy circles between the hydra and the marilith, keeping altitude in the 70 zone - close enough to hear and see, but far enough to keep out of torchlight, and out of range for those with vision less acute than his own.

I dunno about the mm, those books mostly gather dust on my shelf these days, I use http://www.d20srd.org/ for pretty much everything in the base books. Well, except on game days, but out group has been running a d20 modern game for a while now, so my mm1 is very out of use :)

But I assume that thats the official rules, there may be an eratta somewhere, but I dunno where :)

Anyhow, I just want to get this thing to catalyze into a group of people amiable to working together, because I really want to see where I go as a marilith, I try to play her off as somewhat more free thinking and tactical than the average demon, but she is still a chaotic evil monster with no regard for human life, so I can only take it so far.

I'm not entirely saying your mindset is wrong, just perhaps your timing and choices. The humans are nearish, but still far enough away to not likely see us (and common sense will usually trump rules for gms, if we have a big old firefight (and me being a fan of the burning sands maneuvers will not help the visibility any)). Right now, we are more likely to upset and antagonize the humans, when elisande is clearly waiting to see what unfolds, and hrran is activly trying diplomacy. Following your own logic, continuing to wait and see at least how the hydra turns out would be the better plan.

I would think that in general, considering we are all playing evil monsters, we need to give a little extra leeway rather than a little less if we dont want this to basically degenerate into a big pvp match.

TekHed
2011-04-24, 10:23 PM
Only two or three of us are actually evil...

chrisrawr
2011-04-24, 11:01 PM
Xendriz is chaotic good :I And following my own logic means that even if the humans see us fighting and get upset, it's not going to bother them in any way near the amount that aggressive action towards them would. To put it simply - any action Xendriz can take to appease the humans at this point is an action directly profiting everyone. If he can find the bastard who took the young lady, he'll rip his throat out. Unless the kidnapper had a good reason, of course :3

Kyrinthic
2011-04-25, 06:50 AM
Xendriz is chaotic good :I And following my own logic means that even if the humans see us fighting and get upset, it's not going to bother them in any way near the amount that aggressive action towards them would. To put it simply - any action Xendriz can take to appease the humans at this point is an action directly profiting everyone. If he can find the bastard who took the young lady, he'll rip his throat out. Unless the kidnapper had a good reason, of course :3

You're acting like this and you are good? 0.o
Attacking someone for holding their ground without taking any agressive action isnt a very good act, just sayin.

And hell, if I find out who riled the humans up, I'll do the same.

Sorry, I had thought more of the group was evil, or at least crazy

TekHed
2011-04-25, 08:56 AM
This btw, is why I generaly prefer a seperate OOC thread for our conversations related to the game. Makes it SO much nicer to read through the game rather than scrolling through an avalanche of spoiler tabs, of which you can't tell without reading every one which ones are relevant or not... :smallconfused:

chrisrawr
2011-04-25, 01:39 PM
Generally, killing the evil dude who said she had every intention of starting a war if it came down to moving or starting a war is a good act in D&D.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-25, 02:36 PM
Generally, killing the evil dude who said she had every intention of starting a war if it came down to moving or starting a war is a good act in D&D.

Actually, rationalizing an excuse to kill someone who has done no evil act is quite evil, its one of the best ways to show a once-good character slide into evil somewhat gradually.

I didnt imply I would start a fight, never mind a war, not even a little bit. I said that I wasnt going to go running away at your behest, and that it would serve them right to see that we exist. I actually mentioned them running away screaming rather than dying in a pool of blood, for example.

Police dont arrest scary looking people that buy guns and put up signs saying trespassers will be shot. They arrest them when someone gets shot.

When a character starts preemptively killing people they think might cause a problem in the future, well, thats not a good act, no matter how they rationalize it as such to themselves.

chrisrawr
2011-04-25, 04:55 PM
Using a Kantian ethic, you'd be correct. Using D&D alignment system, killing bad guys = good. In this scenario, the Knight outriders in the human mob are 'good' as well. Even though they're coming to kill us. Even though some of us have done nothing to harm the humans in our lifetimes. It doesn't make what they're doing right, nor have I ever implied what Xendriz was doing was right, but it does make them good. The difference is, they're probably lawful. I'm chaotic. Spontaneous vigilantism as opposed to organized persecution. Xendriz could oppose you now, and not care about you later - it's only wrong if he's offended, or threatened by it. The Knights are going to hunt us down eventually, no matter how useful we are to them, because we stand in the way of their law and progress. This means that once the regular humans have no reason to band together with the Knights who they view as elitists, the "us" and "them" rationalizations allow the Knights and Xendriz to fight, without damaging his reputation with the larger human mob - this, perhaps, might be an evil act - neutral at best, as it's two goods opposing - but it's definitely playing to Xendriz's chaotic nature, as well as preserving the general peace.

In this case, Hraan is the protagonist - He's facing adversity to solve problems. Elisande and Xendriz are opposed in order to avoid introducing another conflict - Xendriz would have Hraan say his piece, and then depart in peace should the humans oppose. Elisande would rather have the humans run, cowering like the "vermin" they are. It was implied that she would use bloodshed to do this, seeing that Elisande is a demonic sword-fiend, and Xendriz otherwise has no reason to trust her word - she's already disagreed to circumstantially reasonable alternatives such as leaving the humans alone, and getting out of their way. The humans are an obstacle, put forth by the actions of the protagonist, the one who took the girl. As long as Elisande is in favor of escalating the conflict between human and monster, she is aiding the antagonist, and creating unnecessary conflict between parties - such as herself and Xendriz.

To sum it up, Humans are not the issue, they're simply an obstacle and a plot device. Antagonist is the one taking people and riling up the humans. Anyone who aids the antagonist is justifiably removable by the protagonistic group. In D&D, unless under extreme circumstances, the protagonists are the 'good guys'. Since she is evil, Elisande should have an ulterior motive for being protagonistic - in this case, most likely self-preservation. She's not driven to oppose the antagonist because it's right, she's doing it because it's beneficial to her personally, or because in doing so she furthers a hidden agenda. What I am saying is that there is no way for your character to be unopposed by my character if she is aiding the antagonistic party. The only way for a story to progress is for the protagonists to overcome antagonistic obstacles, in pursuit of defeating the antagonist. Your character is being an antagonistic obstacle. As long as she fails to abstain from aggression towards the humans, be it in self defense or otherwise, she continues to be an antagonistic obstacle. Until the humans are no longer a unified, opposed force against us, aggression towards them, or actions that provoke them into continued reliance on each other to feel safe, will be antagonistic.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-25, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to regret not having put up a seperate thread for OOC. Just goes to show that the first I don't have one in I need one. Quick ruling: if the combat had gone anywhere (since you've both withdrawn, it would seem, we'd be best to think of it as a brief half-hearted tussle unless you re-engage), then Xendriz would have counted as having the advantage due to being hidden, although you could have passed a fairly easy Listen (probably verging on autopass) check to pinpoint his location while talking and negated that. If similar things happen in future, we'll stick to that general idea. I reserve judgement on the ethical implications of either side, by the way. Anyway, back to IC.

Hrran
The human looks confused briefly, and seems to glance back at someone else in the crowd for approval before replying, but then sees Xendriz take flight, and stumbles back. "How many of you are there, monster?"
There are immediate cries in the crowd as well about having found the nest, and several of them surge forwards. The knights, as well, seem likely to move into Gilly's Cut at the soonest opportunity, and the cauldron of pitch starts to move forwards through them.

Nurgett
You manage to make progress down the side of the trench, eventually ending up at the bottom where the fighting is going on. Pushing past, you make equally slow progress up the other side.

Let me know if I've missed any pertinent actions.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-25, 09:01 PM
"That went well."

Elisande moves towards the back of the gully, away from where the humans are approaching. Continuing to watch their actions.

Lyndworm
2011-04-25, 09:21 PM
It now being obvious that fleeing is not a good solution, Nurgett decides to join the hydra in appeasing the crowd. He attempts to climb up the other earthen wall.

Climb Check
[roll0]

TekHed
2011-04-26, 04:12 AM
I'm a bit confused...I thought we were already IN the Gully (excpet for Neko who is on the lip above and those who have flown out)...and that Nurgett had started leaving...now it's being portryaed as though he climbed down into the gully on one side and is now climbing out... why doesn't everyone just get out of the ravine and we can leave?

Also...never too late to create an OOC thread for us...[

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-27, 02:03 PM
TekHed
Most of you are in the gully, but Nurgett climbed out earlier to get a better vantage point, unless I've confused myself.

Nurgett
Following the route you arrived by earlier, you climb back out, elicitating more angry shouts from the crowd, though much less so than the two aerial monsters. They seem to see you as a lot more human. One of the knights rides right up to you, his horse stomping the ground heavily.
"And what are you?"

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 02:23 PM
"I'm trying to make up my mind." booms the troll. "I truly want to be left alone, to live my life away from the bothersome flying beasts and even you humans, though I mean no offense to you. However, that doesn't seem likely. It seems that it would be in everyone's best interest to find your missing woman, or at least to find the culprit behind her disappearance." Nurgett rubs a hand over his gnarled head before continuing. "You seem reasonable, and I can tell that this isn't your first Hunt. How often, in your experience, do a half-dozen 'monsters' from all different species work together? Is it not more likely that we converged out of our fear of you? No one here wants to die, but nearly all of us are afraid that someone wants to kill. That person's not me, and I don't think that it's you." The troll seems winded after that speech. That was the longest string of words he'd uttered in years.

Kallisti
2011-04-27, 03:58 PM
Rictus

Rictus, from his vantage point safely in the air, stares at the knight for a long moment, appearing in the corner of his eye, but never there when the man looks. He sends his voice down, down, down to whisper in the knight's ear.

"I've a question for you, Sir Knight. If we find the scum who scarpered with your girl, and bring the felon to you to face justice, wouldn't that make us heroes? Can monsters be heroes? Can heroes be monsters? Or is it all just a matter of perspective? From my perspective, it seems you could use some assistance, and we have everything to gain by assisting. Really puts things in perspective, when you think about it. What's your perspective on the matter?"

TekHed
2011-04-28, 01:06 AM
Apologies for not being super proactive in this situation...I'm taking a wait and see approach. It doesn't help that the only PC I have ties with is AFK with moving in RL. I figure more prudent to stay disguised and inconspicuous for now in case the group needs me to do some spying as a cat later...besides it would be just terrible if I revealed my nature and these superstitious folk decide cats are demon familiars and start hunting them down and drowning them alive... :smalleek: Don't want to get too close lest anyone starts to wonder why a cat is just hanging out while all these monsters are "rampaging." For that matter...I'm surprised none of the other PCs have commented or taken note...

But the game is young yet.

And again...possible for DM to make us an OOC thread? With so many players it's not a bad idea for us to have a place to converse without cluttering up the IC flowing of the narrative experience.

rrkkskrrk
2011-04-29, 05:23 PM
Nurgett
"I have never pretended to understand your wicked ways, monster, but... yes. I think we understand each other here, whatever you are. The girl is named Elise. She was last seen a fortnight hence. Burning the countryside is unlikely to bring her back, I confess."

Rictus
"As far as I'm concerned, spirit, whatever your kind does comes with an asking price. We have been having some...difficulties locating the girl, though." He pauses. "I will not ask you for a boon. A debt to you would be binding in the eyes of the Code Errant, and I will not have that until you have proved your worth. I will certainly not be relinquishing my own search and entrusting it to you, but if you

Tekhed
I think I will.
Un-spoilered in case anyone misses it: we now have an OOC thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10890941).

Lyndworm
2011-04-29, 07:44 PM
"Thank you, knight. It is not important that you trust me, not yet; a willingness for cooperation is all it takes. Please, let us converse and share information. Maybe together we can work out more of the story than we could apart." Nurgett very slowly raises a clawed, wrinkly, rubber-skinned hand to the knight, intending to shake on it.

Is there any sort of in-character knowledge that Nurgett might have around the time in question? I'd roll a Knowledge (Local) check, but I've not trained in any Knowledges whatsoever. I'll roll an Intelligence check, just in case.

[roll0]

chrisrawr
2011-04-29, 08:59 PM
Xendriz stays aloft and peripheral, knowing that his human-like visage causes distress. In any case, his landing ability could use some work, and he didn't want to bowl into the humans and start a riot.

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-29, 10:19 PM
"Well, since we seem to have ceased the pointless violence, there is no point in remaining hidden, is there?" A nearby tree branch shakes, and a pair of light foot prints appear in front of it. In this space the previously briefly glimpsed feline woman appears. She also looks incredibly good, especially for a cat person. On closer inspection, her tiger-striped fur has a large streak of gold going through her left eye, and it shimmers with specks of red. Something about that mark is unnerving though it seems to have no obvious effect. She turns her gaze on the knight.

"Surely you don't expect us to do this for free. I am glad to help search for the poor girl, but I don't know about some of the... others here." She quickly glances at the demon woman. "Anyways, shall we discuss the method of finding this woman. Namely, a description, and anyone who saw her or was near her on the day she disappeared. Did anyone see what took her?"

"Now where has Neko-chan gone?" she mumbles afterwards, looking around.

TekHed
2011-04-30, 07:24 AM
No sooner than his name had been said does Hidimba feels a familiar brushing against the side of her leg. Looking down she sees the most beautiful pair of bright blue eyes looking up at her.

"Mrow!"

<<Where'd you run off to? Things are beginning to look less dire than they did a minute ago.>>

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-01, 05:46 PM
Nurgett
You know only the bare minimum about the area; it's hilly, sheep-farming country with a lot of small hamlets and smallish villages around. The wilder parts have both dense forest and caves, and proper settled land is restricted to the villages. St Cuthbert and a pantheon of house gods are popular here, among other religions; the latter are friendlier to monsters, for the most part.
Sorry, not much useful information I can give you on a seven.
The knight extends a mailled hand from atop his horse and gives you a firm, if brief, handshake. "I'm afraid our ways must part sooner than that, sir monster. For my part, I am heading west. It would serve both our interests best if you headed east, would it not?"
He is about to ride off when he spots Hidimba.

Hidimba
"Mud hair, mud eyes, like any of them. You would be better served asking her kin."
The knight makes a gesture to the others, and they ride off westwards.

There is an angry shifting in the mob again now that the knights are gone; despite their more reasonable leaders, it would seem the majority are still out for blood.

Lyndworm
2011-05-01, 06:03 PM
"Thank you, sir knight. It is good to see someone as honorable as they think themselves. To the East I shall travel, then."

Kallisti
2011-05-01, 06:07 PM
Rictus

"Before we go, I think we ought to do as the knight says and ask the missing girl's family what she looks like. Looking for a thing without knowing what it is you're looking for is ever so much more interesting, true, but I think we've had enough excitement for the moment. I'm ready for something predictable, don't know about you."

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-03, 07:27 PM
While no-one's asked directly, best if we keep this moving along.

Rictus
One of the villagers offers you a brief and fairly unhelpful description of the girl; from the sounds of it, she looks like any of them, brown-haired and brown-eyed, fairly skinny, and wearing an undyed wool dress and brightly-coloured headscarf. She's also described as having unusual eyes, though the villager can't think of any adjectives to tell you why they stand out.

A fight breaks out in the ranks of the mob, seemingly between those that would rather they didn't fight monsters and those that want you dead no matter what. The cauldron of pitch, which seems to still be staying hot somehow, tilts dangerously.

chrisrawr
2011-05-03, 10:30 PM
Xendriz hisses at the foolishness of crowds. There's a reason most monsters are solitary, and humans should learn from it. Nevertheless, he heads back to The Cut, content that many disasters had been avoided by the more sociables so far. As good a place as any, he begins sniffing for signs of human scent that differ from those of the crowd.

Survival and Track, with scent: [roll0]

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-04, 05:33 PM
Xendriz
The ground around here is well and truly trampled with the scent of hundreds of very similar humans, and the air is still lousy with pitch; about all you can tell is where the humans aren't, which at the moment seems to be restricted to the Cut and the woods beyond it.

chrisrawr
2011-05-04, 08:11 PM
Xendriz huffs; the big whiff cloying pitch he'd taken was causing mucous to overflow, and his eyes to water. He'd try again once the humans were settled enough for him to get close to their town, and check the area for tracks monstrous in nature. Convening with the others to learn more of what they had could prove to his benefit, as well.

Lyndworm
2011-05-04, 10:25 PM
Nurgett moves towards the crowd, his hands up in a sign of peace. "Listen, kind people of Wharram Percy! I have discussed our problem with one of your knights, and we agree; it is in every one of our interests to work together on this. You don't want death, you want retribution. I cannot blame you for that but attacking any of us will show only that you're no better than the monster that took the young woman away from you. I have become quite the tracker over the years, and I would like to offer my services to you."

TekHed
2011-05-08, 05:09 AM
Emphasizing the seemingly benign nature of the Troll, the flame-pointed Siamese cat with deep blue eyes came out from behind Hidimba and leapt into Nurgett's arms, where it began nuzzling him and purring. Some of the villagers would recognize that cat. Perhaps one or two of them had even left him a saucer of cream or some table scraps recently...

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-08, 10:53 AM
Nurgett
The man that you have already been speaking to approaches you after your speech and quietly suggests that the parts of the mob that want you covered in burning pitch are unlikely to be dissuaded.
"The rest will go along with them, too, but if you make it look like you're running off they won't keep up with the cauldron. Not the best time for barter, I'm thinking. The best of luck to you, though."
You can, however, make a diplomacy check if you want to persist.

Neko-chan
A few villagers notice you, some even favourably. In the grand scale of things, though, you manage to pass mostly unnoticed.

Lyndworm
2011-05-08, 12:43 PM
"Thank you; your opinion remains valued. I believe my associates have gathered enough information from your people that we may not be useless. I'll take my leave now, thank you."

With a short bow, Nurgett abruptly turns and runs into the woods.

chrisrawr
2011-05-08, 06:44 PM
Seeing the troll running, and hearing the crowd after him, Xendriz high-tails it - up and away.

He'll stay about 50 feet up and 50 feet ahead of the crowd.

TekHed
2011-05-10, 04:36 AM
The siamese cat holds on for balance, digging it's claws into the troll's shoulder, though hardly a nuisance to the hardy giant. In his mind, Nurget hears,

<<You speak with eloquence Troll. But you might consider showing greater diplomacy to those around you intertwixt your fate...>>

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-10, 04:59 PM
The more boisterous of the villagers attempt to give pursuit, but the majority are hesitant to enter the forest, and the chase rapidly loses steam as you drop out of sight of the edge of the trees. The forest is deathly quiet once the humans have gone, though after a while there are a few hesitant rustlings and chaffinch calls.
Survival and/or knowledge (local/geography) would be appropriate here, I think. Rolling for the three that have already entered, anyone else roll when you post.
Xendriz [roll0]
Nurgett [roll1]
Neko-chan [roll2]

Xendriz, Nurgett and Neko-chan
The forest you're in has a bit of a reputation for disappearances, in part due to sheep-raiding monsters, but there's something else in here as well. While most of you are experienced with the wilderness, not knowing the area means your best chance of navigating is to either hug the edge of the forest and take advantage of Xendriz's vantage point in the sky or to travel downhill and find a stream to follow along.
Of course, given that you only have a vague direction to go in, just about any eastwards route would be fine.

chrisrawr
2011-05-10, 05:17 PM
"I say we head straight through the forest, and knock down trees in the direction we're going to mark our progress. I ate some children once who'd done a similar thing with bread-crumbs," Xendriz jokes, with a fang-filled smile.

Lyndworm
2011-05-10, 05:33 PM
"I'd rather not leave such an obvious trail. A more likely solution, for me, is to find a natural path already cut for us. All animals use paths, and if there's anything in here larger than a fox it'll have already made one. I doubt you can see it from up there, however. I'll try to find something to follow on my end." Nurgett does as he says and begins looking around for any sign of a natural path.

Search:
[roll0]

Survival:
[roll1]

If nothing East-West is found, Nurgett will attempt to find water to follow (Survival).

Kyrinthic
2011-05-10, 08:05 PM
As Elisande slides up to the group she remarks, "Well, this should be more interesting than scrounging sitting around all night."

"Besides, I'm not the best at tracking people through the forest."

[roll0] for survival

TekHed
2011-05-11, 04:41 AM
<<Yes, this is the way. You are a skilled woodsmen. You are not an ordinary Troll. An ordinary troll would have been too stupid to use diplomacy, and would have boiled alive in that ravine.>>

Tracking: Survival: [roll0]

chrisrawr
2011-05-11, 11:35 AM
Xendriz mulls for a second, before grudgingly accepting the troll's plan as marginally less likely to get them hunted down and killed. "I'll just... keep watch from up here, I suppose. Scream if something bites you."

Lyndworm
2011-05-11, 11:44 AM
"Which one of you mongrels is continually assaulting my mind? I could not respond in front of the humans, but it is quite annoying. Even such marvelous compliments are a little disconcerting when they appear to originate from within your own head." Nurgett continues his search, speaking almost in passing. He clearly prefers the woods.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-11, 09:11 PM
Elisande
Even the landscape confuses you. Best to follow along with someone else for the time being.

Nurgett
You quite quickly find several tracks in the undergrowth that lead in roughly the right direction, though none are directly east-west. The best one, leading slightly southwards as it goes on, is larger than the others and bears scratches up the bark of trees along its length suggesting that a segh made it. This patch of forest has apparently been quite busy within the last day or so.

Neko-chan
You spot the same signs of the trail as Nurgett, unless you're looking for something different in particular.

TekHed
2011-05-14, 05:37 AM
"Which one of you mongrels is continually assaulting my mind? I could not respond in front of the humans, but it is quite annoying. Even such marvelous compliments are a little disconcerting when they appear to originate from within your own head." Nurgett continues his search, speaking almost in passing. He clearly prefers the woods.

<<Why...That would be me, of course.>> The assembled host collectively heard in their minds. <<...and an apt description, for I am the only true mongrel among us. Now that we are suitably distant from the humans, I no longer have need to conceal my true form.>>

The small flamepoint cat resting upon Nurgett's shoulder leaps to the ground, whereupon it begins to grow in size. When it reaches the size of a man, it's fangs sprout into sharpened saber-teeth. It's coat thickens, becoming shaggier and the orange stripes becoming darker, while the tail elongates into a cream colored, scaled whip-like apendage flaring towards the end into rudder-like fins. Forward pointing horns, like a bull's, sprout from it's head and it's oh-so-blue eyes become more reptilian and take on a visible azure glow. Finally, as it nears the size of a large bear, enormous cream-scaled leathery wings sprout from it's shoulder complex. Fins of fur streak down the scaled lines of wing and tail creating an appearance that is entirely seamless, not stitched together. For those who can sense such things, the creature's magical aura is nearly blinding.

The magical-feline-beast lifts one forepaw and draws it across it's chest in bowing motion, dipping it's head slightly, while maintaining eye contact.

<<I am Neko.>>

Kyrinthic
2011-05-14, 06:30 AM
"Interesting" Elisande replies, giving Neko an appraising look, "I imagine you have a lot of fun with humans using that trick."

TekHed
2011-05-14, 06:50 AM
<<Indeed.>> Neko replied telepathically. <<We have found a suitable trail, over here. Follow me...>>

He set off through the underbrush.

dragonsamurai77
2011-05-14, 09:46 AM
Hrran, who had been silently observing the recent events, now follows Neko.

Lyndworm
2011-05-14, 12:00 PM
The troll bows to the great feline in return, saying "I am Nurgett Wildtalon, and I am quite pleased to make your acquaintance." Immediately after the troll finishes straightening himself, he follows the trail pointed out to him.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-16, 01:59 PM
The trail quickly starts to drift southwards, further into the forest, though it meanders northwards often enough that you are still going in roughly the right direction. After about fifteen minutes it wanders past (and noticably around) a stand of trees that look as if they have been twisted as they grow into a semblance of a building. Someone or something is sitting on the top of it, humming to themselves quietly.
After passing the stand, the path turns sharply southwards, away from the forest's edge.

chrisrawr
2011-05-16, 03:45 PM
Overhead, Xendriz circles down, lazily drifting on his leathery wings. "Do not be alarmed, forest creature, I am not here to eat you this day!"

Kyrinthic
2011-05-17, 09:41 AM
Elisande slides up towards the humming creature, trying to make out what it is as she approaches.

Lyndworm
2011-05-17, 11:10 AM
"Hello, up there!" calls the troll. "What brings you so deep into the forest, stranger?"

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-17, 09:41 PM
Elisande
The creature is a long way above you, so specific details are hard to make out, but it's definitely humanoid. Oddly, it looks a little like an elf, which is unlikely, to say the least.

Nurgett
The creature mutters to itself for a while, swinging one leg back and forth, then shouts back down to you: "What brings you so far out of the forest, friend?"

Xendriz
The creature seems to ignore you unless you come particularly close.

Lyndworm
2011-05-17, 09:45 PM
"I have, perhaps foolishly, given my word to help find a human girl. I don't suppose you'd know anything about that, eh?"

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-17, 09:49 PM
Nurgett
"Ah, so you are coming from out to in. There have been girls here, yes. On their own, yes?"

Lyndworm
2011-05-17, 09:57 PM
"That was the implication, but she may have been with a non-human, as well. There's some confusion on the matter, to be honest. Humans aren't the most observant of creatures."

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-17, 10:09 PM
Nurgett
"Ah, yes, yes. One girl, one girl... yes, many, most looking for sheep. With something Other... no. None. There was one girl with another girl, once, but the other girl was wrong."

Xendriz
The creature moves quickly along the branch it sits on towards you. It considers you with its head tilted for a second, then goes back to its humming and talking to Nurgett.

Lyndworm
2011-05-17, 10:27 PM
Thinking for a moment, Nurgett replies "What do you mean 'wrong?' Was the second girl of the second set not a human?"

chrisrawr
2011-05-18, 02:06 AM
Xendriz sets down beside the odd elf-thing, and folds his paws under his chin as he listens to Nurgett talk to it.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-18, 09:31 PM
Nurgett
"Not right in its skin. I could not tell why. A hag, perhaps."
A bird flies past the creature, and it grabs it neatly in one hand, staring at it closely.

Lyndworm
2011-05-18, 09:34 PM
"Was the 'right' girl a brunette? Could you tell me which way she went, or how long ago?"

TekHed
2011-05-19, 03:17 PM
Neko flies up towards the tree-house and shrinks back into Neko-chan, alighting gently on the branch with the odd fey.

<<Are you going to eat that?>> he asks telepathically, looking pointedly at the bird.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-20, 08:07 PM
Nurgett
"Brown of hair, yes. The other one was not. Silvery, you might say. Southeast, but I do not know when. It was at night. It is still night now. There may have been days in between, or years, or maybe it was tonight. I do not know."

Neko-chan
"Perhaps. Do you want it?" He offers you the bird, palm flat. It stays still in his hand, preening its feathers.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 02:44 PM
"I appreciate the help. If there's nothing more you can tell me, I believe that I'll head South-East."

TekHed
2011-05-21, 03:10 PM
The tip of Neko-chan's tail twitches and he narrows his eyes at the bird.

<<Why does it not fly away, with a predator so near?>>

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-23, 08:41 PM
Nurgett
"Head wherever you will. It is not my forest, though it is my tree here."
South-east from here is not along any particular track. The segh's trail leads roughly south, so you could either follow that and make a correction or cut through the stand of bracken next to it.

Neko-chan
"I have made it feel safe. It will notice us both if I let it fly from my hand."

Assuming that you leave immediately, or at least after bidding it your leave, the creature drops down after you are gone, effectively falling out of the tree in a way that makes it look as if bones were broken until it gets up unharmed. It traipses after you for a few minutes, making no attempt to hide itself until it stops obviously following you.
If you don't leave immediately, it doesn't do so until you actually leave.

chrisrawr
2011-05-23, 09:03 PM
With the oddity's directions in mind, Xendriz grins widely. "Many thanks from this one. Troll, I will find the bracken spoken of, and mark it. You may choose, from there, where you will head - through bracken or around - I will keep lookout for ambush." With that, and a final glance around, the manticore leaps back into the air, clearing the foliage, and begins his search for the bracken.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-23, 09:07 PM
Xendriz
You do not encounter any difficulty in finding the bracken - it is a fairly big stand of it. It is dense enough, though, that something or someone could easily hide in it and not be seen unless trodden on.

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 10:25 PM
Nurgett heads South-East, through the bracken.

A quick check, if necessary.

Survival (to avoid getting lost):
[roll0]

Really; a 3? :smallmad:

Kyrinthic
2011-05-24, 03:26 PM
Not entirely sure how to get back out of the forest at this point, Elisande follows Nurgent to the Southeast.

chrisrawr
2011-05-24, 07:11 PM
"Try to stay on top of things, if possible. I'll direct you from up here. If worst comes to worse, start a fire and I'll follow the smoke down."

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-25, 08:35 PM
Nurgett
You follow a near-perfect south-east path through the bracken, deviating only to avoid hidden tree stumps, fallen logs and the larger ditches. It is while carefully avoiding slipping down the side of one of these that something moves the bracken not far from you.

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 09:22 PM
Nurgett pauses in his movement, attempting to see what's moving through the forest.

Listen:
[roll0]

Spot:
[roll1]

TekHed
2011-05-28, 06:23 PM
Neko-chan
"I have made it feel safe. It will notice us both if I let it fly from my hand."

Assuming that you leave immediately, or at least after bidding it your leave, the creature drops down after you are gone, effectively falling out of the tree in a way that makes it look as if bones were broken until it gets up unharmed. It traipses after you for a few minutes, making no attempt to hide itself until it stops obviously following you.
If you don't leave immediately, it doesn't do so until you actually leave.

Neko-chan's tail twitches with predatory curiosity but he does not pounce.

<<The experience is lessened by it's docile oblivion. I'll pass.>>

As the motley gang of monsters makes it's way beyond, Neko-chan leaps from tree to tree, following the others discreetly from the canopy.

rrkkskrrk
2011-05-30, 08:05 PM
Sorry for the longer-than-usual delay in replying, guys; my laptop decided to die on me over the weekend and only worked properly after dismantling and reassembly.

Nurgett
The disturber of bracken is obviously moving fast, and circling around you rather than staying still, but what it is is less clear; you can mostly just see where it is rather than its appearance. When you do catch brief glimpses, you pick out feathers, antlers and a painted arm, but nothing conclusive.
The bracken is about five foot tall here, with a dense layer of leaves topping it off, so anything able to hide completely must be four foot tall or under.

Neko-chan
The bracken is getting disturbed in a rough circle around where Nurgett and Elisande are moving; it's no more clear than from where they are what it following them, but you can follow its path precisely.

dragonsamurai77
2011-05-30, 08:13 PM
Hrran flies up and tries to follow the unknown creature.

chrisrawr
2011-05-30, 11:56 PM
((OOC: If he's in range, Xendriz will try to pin the creature with a salvo, in order to slow it down;
To hit [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
51+ to hit if total concealment [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]

Damage [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]

If he's not in range for whatever reason, or if he can't see where the thing is, he'll swoop in close and try to pin it with a grapple.))

"Something is with you in the brambles. Try to cut it off, if you can find it. I'll do my best from up here."

Kyrinthic
2011-05-31, 08:42 AM
Elisande trys to catch sight of the enemy, and moreso, guess where it is moving in order to intercept it.

Spot: [roll0]
Sense motive: [roll1]

If she can get a lock on where it is going, she will use wind stride or counter charge (depending on if the target is charging her when she moves towards it or not) to intercept and attempt to grab the target with her tail.

Either way she will enter the Step of the Wind stance first, to ignore difficult terrain.

rrkkskrrk
2011-06-01, 08:38 PM
Hrran
The creature is surprisingly easy to follow, continuing in a rough circle for a while until it stops, suddenly.

Xendriz
In the chaos of everyone diving for the creature at once, only a third of your spikes actually seem to make any sort of sensible contact. The rustling in the bracken stops, then resumes again as Elisande collides with it.

Elisande
You spot the creature immediately before Xendriz's spikes hit it; it goes down in a mess of fur and feathers, and lies still for a few seconds before starting to crawl. As it does, the fur and several other features recede, and it becomes practically serpentine in form, slithering away without disturbing the bracken. Whatever it was, it wanted to be seen before.
You just about manage to guess its movement before it disappears completely, picking up the suddenly slithery creature with your tail. It is bleeding badly.

Lyndworm
2011-06-02, 12:28 AM
"What in the name of Vaprak just happened? Did anyone see where it went?"

Kyrinthic
2011-06-02, 06:45 AM
I lift it out of the bracken, close to my face to more clearly see what it is, but not trying to harm it in the process.

"Why are you stalking us?"

dragonsamurai77
2011-06-02, 08:07 AM
Hrran flies down to the creature.

rrkkskrrk
2011-06-04, 08:18 PM
Elisande
The creature writhes feebly in your grasp, its shape changing nearly as often as it moves as it tries to gain enough leverage on you to wrench itself free. It swears frequently in what sounds like Goblin, but doesn't reply directly, and pays little attention to your face except when it tries to bite you.

Kyrinthic
2011-06-07, 07:15 AM
Elisande
The creature writhes feebly in your grasp, its shape changing nearly as often as it moves as it tries to gain enough leverage on you to wrench itself free. It swears frequently in what sounds like Goblin, but doesn't reply directly, and pays little attention to your face except when it tries to bite you.

"Fine, be that way. If you survive your wounds, you will perhaps learn not to stalk your betters".
She then flings him away back into the bracken.

rrkkskrrk
2011-06-07, 10:15 PM
Elisande
The creature disappears into the bracken, rustling as it moves. A few minutes later, when you are nearly at the other side of the bracken, you see a pair of what you assume are the same creatures watching you from a tree.

The far side of the stand of bracken drops off suddenly into a small river, not enough to hinder anyone determined but still an obstacle to fast movement. There are marks on the other side when someone or something has scrambled up.

Lyndworm
2011-06-07, 11:08 PM
Nurgett inquires "What do you see? Shall we press onwards?"

TekHed
2011-06-14, 02:48 AM
<<What are those things?>>

Neko asked telepathically to noone in particular from his position in the canopy.

Kyrinthic
2011-06-14, 06:58 AM
"It appears that something unfamiliar with the terrain has moved this way recently, we are as likely as not on the right path."

Elisande ponders the distance for a jump across the river with her tiger claw maneauvers, but if it is too far, she will go through it to continue forward.

Lyndworm
2011-06-14, 01:54 PM
Nurgett attempts to wade through the river.

chrisrawr
2011-06-14, 03:45 PM
[roll0] to see if anything is coming from the river.

rrkkskrrk
2011-06-14, 09:35 PM
Xendriz
You don't spot anything in the water, though the river itself seems to act a little oddly when Nurgett first touches it.

Elisande
It seems conceivable that you could jump it, though wading it might be a better use of resources.

Nurgett
The river is surprisingly shallow, though at its deeper points it seems unusually slippery. You nearly lose your footing a few times even in the first few steps.
Balance check, please.

Lyndworm
2011-06-14, 10:38 PM
Balance:
[roll0]

rrkkskrrk
2011-06-16, 11:11 PM
Nurgett
You cross the slippery river bed easily, but when you reach the other side, the river starts to tug at your legs in a manner quite unlike a river, and you find yourself unable to put a foot on the bank.

chrisrawr
2011-06-16, 11:16 PM
"Fancying a dip, troll?"

Lyndworm
2011-06-16, 11:22 PM
Nurgett growls softly before speaking "What manner of magic is this?" He takes a swipe at the water with his left claw.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]
[roll2]
Total: 13

dragonsamurai77
2011-06-17, 07:34 AM
Hrran simply flies over the river.

chrisrawr
2011-06-19, 03:17 PM
My grandmother died this morning (Sunday, June 19, 2011). I'm going halfway across the country to her funeral, and will be largely unable to post for the next week. Sorry for the inconvenience. If the need arises, DMPC me as Iron Man - but instead of alcohol, sheep.

TekHed
2011-06-20, 04:19 AM
My condolences! Could we please move this post over to the OOC though...?