PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Stabbing people with wands.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 07:08 PM
Hey playground. I just came up with an idea for a character, but am a bit unsure on how to pull it off...

As the title says, yes, I want to stab people with wands. I understand that the Wandstrike feat is what I want for this, but I would also like for my wands to be encased in Wand Chambers built in to daggers.

However, I have no idea how these two interact? Can I wandstrike while the wand is in the dagger, or does that not count, since it isn't exactly stabbing them with the wand proper, per se?

I'd also like to know what I can do to build on this concept. Does Double Wand Wielder allow you to stab with both wands as part of a full action, expending extra charges from your offhand wand? And how does Daggerspell Mage play into this?

What I'm going for, at least in terms of character, is an outlaw-turned-good that hunts down evil spellcasters by turning their own spells and magic items against them, focusing on touch spells. So I'd like a bit of rogue in there, at least, but I suppose anything works..

Thoughts? Is this doable/viable at all, even?

Quietus
2011-04-13, 08:24 PM
Touch spells require touch attacks. Just say that you're touching them with the wand via a forceful jab.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way without Wandstrike. :smallannoyed: Casting a spell via a wand usually just acts like you cast it yourself. I.E., the touch spell would be stored in your hand after you cast from your wand. Makes sense, I suppose, but isn't exactly helpful in this situation.

Curmudgeon
2011-04-13, 09:09 PM
Casting a spell via a wand usually just acts like you cast it yourself. I.E., the touch spell would be stored in your hand after you cast from your wand.
It's not just your hand; it's your whole body that's holding the charge. So head butting someone will also deliver a touch spell. :smallsmile:

Safety Sword
2011-04-13, 09:22 PM
It's not just your hand; it's your whole body that's holding the charge. So head butting someone will also deliver a touch spell. :smallsmile:

Hence the first level spell: Shocking Headbutt

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 09:25 PM
Ah, hm. Good point. I forgot about that..

Still, doesn't exactly help, I suppose. :smallconfused: Hm..

Otherworld Odd
2011-04-13, 09:45 PM
Aren't wands bigger than daggers?

Idk if you could use a wand as a weapon though. I think if you were to use it inside a dagger's chamber (if it does fit), you wouldn't be able to use it because you're not technically touching it. It's really up to your DM though. Perhaps he could homebrew something for you.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 10:01 PM
Eh, my DM shot down the idea as "stupid" anyways. :smallsigh: She's not a fan of col things, I guess.
This is more for fun than anything, I suppose.

..And if you can use a wand as a wand while it's in the chamber, without touching it, why wouldn't you be able to wield it as a weapon, by that logic? :smallconfused:

Veyr
2011-04-13, 10:20 PM
IMO, get a new DM. A DM who thinks it's her prerogative to tell people what to play isn't worth playing under.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 10:42 PM
Eh, DMs are hard to come by around here. Games that last more than, say, five sessions are even rarer. :smallannoyed:

Either way, She's my girlfriend, so I can't exactly... This isn't the thread for this. :smallsigh:

Guys, stabby stabby, pew pew? :smallwink:

Personally, I think "activate a wand inside their wound" works well enough regardless of what caused the wound, wand or otherwise. :smallconfused:

The Glyphstone
2011-04-13, 10:49 PM
Wand chambers aren't inside the weapon, though. They're inside the hilt...so you'd have to first wound them, then flip the weapon around and jab your hilt/wand into the open wound.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-13, 11:08 PM
:smallconfused: Hm... Good point, I suppose. Huh.. Well, that throws that out of the water, I guess. :smallsigh:Damn...

It could probably be avoided by refluffing it as a hollow blade as well, or something, but eh. :\ Hm..

What about the other points then? Is there any way to make Wandstrike better?

Cog
2011-04-13, 11:15 PM
Would you be willing to use a casting chassis for this? The Arcane Strike can pull off blowing charges for more dakka, but it's fueled by spell slots instead of wand charges. You could fluff that the wands in your weapons - which are really just there for utility purposes - are serving as focuses to help you channel your power.

Mattarias, King.
2011-04-14, 01:42 AM
Would you be willing to use a casting chassis for this? The Arcane Strike can pull off blowing charges for more dakka, but it's fueled by spell slots instead of wand charges. You could fluff that the wands in your weapons - which are really just there for utility purposes - are serving as focuses to help you channel your power.

...Oh. It's late, so it took me a bit to get what you meant. Yeah, maybe, I guess. :smallconfused: I WAS thinking of Daggerspell Mage, though discarded that for a bit, due to wand chambers not working how I thought.. But that might work, I guess.

Still, doesn't really have the potential for versatility that using actual wands has though. Different effects, energy types, other fun shenanigans.