PDA

View Full Version : In search for a system

Zombimode
2011-04-13, 07:19 PM
Within the last months my urge to play PnP in any of my favorite settings with a "fitting" supporting system increased steadily.

Sadly most of these settings come from computer games and thus are most likely not available as a PnP setting and system.
To give you a list (in no particular order):

Vvardenfell/Tarmriel form TES3 Morrowind

Britania from the Ultima series

The City form the Thief series

Magnamund from the Lone Wolf series (not a computer game, but a game books series)

Of course, I could just grab any generic PnP system like a D&D edition, reskinn the classes, equipment and monsters and just use the settings fluff. But this is not what I want. I want a game the captures the "feel" of those settings and games. For instance using the 3.x class and magic system would be highly in appropiate for a Elder Scrolls, Thief or Lone Wolf RPG. Those worlds just dont work that way.

Thus I'm searching for something more fitting.
Maybe there are systems out there that specificly model one of those settings?
If not, which system would be worth a closer look for a possible homebrew/porting of one of those settings?

dsmiles
2011-04-13, 07:28 PM
Well, Iron Kingdoms may do the Thief setting well. It may be a little more technologically and magically advanced, but you can take out the steampowered items and magic without too much detriment to the flavor. It's based on DnD 3.0, with a 3.5 update errata (somewhere).

Mutazoia
2011-04-13, 07:36 PM
Well, Iron Kingdoms may do the Thief setting well. It may be a little more technologically and magically advanced, but you can take out the steampowered items and magic without too much detriment to the flavor. It's based on DnD 3.0, with a 3.5 update errata (somewhere).

Well there was a Lankhmar setting published a while back (2nd ed) as well as the Watterdeep city setting for FR (also 2nd ed...not sure if there's a 3.X version) that would work for the Thief...

Honestly almost any setting could work for Ultima...except for the Avatar character, Britania is pretty generic.

Zombimode
2011-04-13, 07:44 PM
It's based on DnD 3.0, with a 3.5 update errata (somewhere).

Yeah, thats the problem.

In the world of Thief, the best thief the world has ever seen, Garrett, who defeated the Devil and saved the world three times in row, has 10 hit points. Exactly as much as your typical Lord Bafford guard buffon. But even those Bafford guards, who are the weakest humanoid fighters seen in the games can take down pretty much every opponent that can be harmed with swords if they have a slight numerical superiority (lets say 5: I bet 5 Bafford guards can kill any single opponent, even ghosts).

In a D20 system Garrett would have a crapton of hp and would eat low level guards for breakfast in a fair fight, just because of his level.
The powerlevel in Thief is just much narrower then in D&D.

Kiero
2011-04-13, 07:47 PM
Basically, it sounds like you are looking for a non class/level system. Could you be more specific about what it is you are trying to capture about those settings?

By the way, D&D 3.x is not generic, not by any stretch of the word. GURPS or HERO are generic, D&D is not.

Mutazoia
2011-04-13, 08:14 PM
Basically, it sounds like you are looking for a non class/level system. Could you be more specific about what it is you are trying to capture about those settings?

By the way, D&D 3.x is not generic, not by any stretch of the word. GURPS or HERO are generic, D&D is not.

As far as heroic fantasy goes, yes it is. You can run any type of heroic fantasy setting in D&D, especially with all the fluff books out these days. I would dare some one to find a fantasy setting you can't mimic with D&D and a little house ruling.

Zombimode
2011-04-13, 08:15 PM

Well, I dont have a problem with classes and levels per se.

What I want to capture about those settings:
In each of these games (or books respectivly for Lone Wolf), a world is being described. It is done so by the graphics, the artwork, the story, backround information and cutscenes. But also through the rules of the actual gameplay. That Garrett has as half as many hit points as a Hammerite Soldier (regardless of what "hit point" may mean) is as much a part of the world as the Hammerites worshipping the Builder.
I think what I want is a sytem that allows an accurate (but fun and interessting to play) representation of the world as it is described in the original media.

Thats true. The term I should have used is "non setting-specific".

Kiero
2011-04-14, 07:26 AM
As far as heroic fantasy goes, yes it is. You can run any type of heroic fantasy setting in D&D, especially with all the fluff books out these days. I would dare some one to find a fantasy setting you can't mimic with D&D and a little house ruling.

Nonsense. D&D is a genre unto itself, there are so many setting-impacting assumptions built into the rules (especially with 3.x) that it is far from generic. You also need more than "a little houseruling" if you're wanting to run a setting which doesn't have D&D's assumptions about the level of magical ubiquity. That's just one example of a fairly significant hard-coded setting assumption in the rules.

Well, I dont have a problem with classes and levels per se.

Perhaps not, but the entirety of your hit points complaint comes from level-inflating hit points in class-based games. There are ways around this in level-based games, but you get to the point where you'd probably be better served with a system that doesn't assume you will have inflating hit points.

What I want to capture about those settings:
In each of these games (or books respectivly for Lone Wolf), a world is being described. It is done so by the graphics, the artwork, the story, backround information and cutscenes. But also through the rules of the actual gameplay. That Garrett has as half as many hit points as a Hammerite Soldier (regardless of what "hit point" may mean) is as much a part of the world as the Hammerites worshipping the Builder.
I think what I want is a sytem that allows an accurate (but fun and interessting to play) representation of the world as it is described in the original media.

That's not really very helpful - it's assuming people are familiar with those settings in the first place to be able to make recommendations. What specifically is it about those settings, for the benefit of someone unfamiliar with them, do you want?

The only factor you've picked out so far is hit points/lethality. How much magic is there in the setting? What is the range of difference between someone who's new to adventuring and someone experienced? What level of technology is it?

The Big Dice
2011-04-14, 07:32 AM
Mongoose published a Lone Wolf RPG a while back. I don't know if it's still in print ot not, though. As for D&D being generic, Kiero has hit the nail on the head. D&D is as generic as Star Trek. Which is to say, it is in most ways a genre to itself, rather than something that can mimic lots of different genres. And that is the definition of a generic RPG.

If you want generic and the D20 system, I suggest True20.

obliged_salmon
2011-04-14, 08:39 AM
I don't know much about some of those settings, but I'll recommend Burning Wheel, cuz I always do. It's grittier than DnD, and skill based, with a lot of flavor coming from character build options. You might be hard-pressed to get, like, Argonians and Khajeets out of it though.

Britter
2011-04-14, 08:42 PM
I don't know much about some of those settings, but I'll recommend Burning Wheel, cuz I always do. It's grittier than DnD, and skill based, with a lot of flavor coming from character build options. You might be hard-pressed to get, like, Argonians and Khajeets out of it though.

Nah, just tack some appropriate traits on them from the monster burner, most of which are cosmetic, and use the human life paths, since the cultures are fairly analogous. Easy cheesy, lemon squeezy, you have Burning Morrowind.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-14, 09:47 PM
Insert Hero System plug.

Different nations can have different package deals. Or eve adjusted normal character maxima.