PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Edit my post

pendell
2011-04-13, 09:08 PM
Okay, the problem occurs in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8312968&postcount=1). I keep it as a constantly updated adventure sheet for the game in progress.

I had updated the atlas section for the military room. I had written 'access to :' (minus the space between the word 'to' and the colon) followed by a list of rooms.

When I attempted the edit, I received FORBIDDEN 403: cannot access editpost.php.

When I eliminated the colon, the post was editable as normal.

So I found a way to solve the problem, but I don't understand why it occurred in the first place.
Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dogmantra
2011-04-13, 09:44 PM
I think the forbidden string (to then a :) is similar to the "lynx" problem. In certain systems it can be used for malicious code and the server that hosts the forums blocks it by default, even if that kind of code is not applicable here.

Asthix
2011-04-15, 05:51 AM
This came up a month or two ago. Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191545)

It is most likely because of a colon with two spaces after it, or a Lynx, error, whatever that is.

pendell
2011-04-15, 07:20 AM
Can't be Lynx. IIRC, that's an anti-malware program which I don't use.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Douglas
2011-04-15, 08:43 AM
Can't be Lynx. IIRC, that's an anti-malware program which I don't use.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
What you use is completely irrelevant. What matters here is programs that are often used on servers and potential ways for hackers to abuse them. A string containing "lynx " (including the space, but not my specious formatting tag) or certain other keywords is potentially an attempt to exploit such a program, and giantitp's hosting service puts in security filters to block them just in case.

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-18, 02:06 AM
Indeed. If you were to do a search on the Board/Site Issue forum for the word lynx, you'll see that the string douglas mentions has caused no shortage of trouble and it's beyond the means of our admins to correct it because it's not something under their (or The Giant's, to be clear) control.