PDA

View Full Version : Name Ideas for a Setting/Campaign name?

Dr paradox
2011-04-14, 01:37 AM
I'm doing some major planning for a campaign of mine, presently on hiatus between acts, and I feel like it should have a more permenant name for the setting, rather than just "the Campaign Proper," which is what we've been using thus far. And so, I turn to the creative community that has sprung up around Rich Berlew.

The basic idea of the setting is that it''s in the rising days of a sizeable mostly-human empire called "Dunnharrow," (I didn't realize the name was used in Lord of the Rings until after the campaign was already well under way. don't look at me like that.) with an emphasis on moral conundrums. The other continents are called Kraga, Southron, and Leyhre, at least the known continents.

any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

akma
2011-04-14, 04:47 AM
Possible names:
A. Named after a major place in the setting.
B. Named after a major theme of the setting.
C. Named becuse of a cosmic event or phonemona.
D. A description of the setting in two-three words.

Ichneumon
2011-04-14, 06:49 AM
"The Rising Days of Dunnharrow"

DontEatRawHagis
2011-04-14, 09:31 AM
The basic idea of the setting is that it''s in the rising days of a sizeable mostly-human empire called "Dunnharrow," (I didn't realize the name was used in Lord of the Rings until after the campaign was already well under way. don't look at me like that.) with an emphasis on moral conundrums. The other continents are called Kraga, Southron, and Leyhre, at least the known continents.

any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

Questions:
What makes your campaign different from others?

For Example:
Eberron is the name of the World/Plane, I think
Dark Sun is named after the sun in the sky
Raven Loft is the name of a castle
GreyHawk is a city
Forgotten Realms... I actually don't know.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-14, 02:17 PM
Personally, I like thematic naming. However, if this is the only campaign you're setting in this area you can call it "Dunnharrow."

For "moral conundrums" I'd say it depends on what kind of conundrums you're framing. A Black and White (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackAndWhiteMorality) game is going to have a different name from a Grey and Gray (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreyAndGrayMorality) game.

Say a bit more about the campaign to date.

Notreallyhere77
2011-04-14, 03:43 PM
I've named campaigns before*, but the only setting I named was Gaea (just means "world"), which became Gaea 2 after a revision of the planes. Since I'm making a new world for my next campaign, anything else you guys come up with is useful for me, too.

*They were mostly forgettable, but my latest, "The path twice traveled," sticks in my mind.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-14, 05:05 PM
Dunnharrow Rising? The Rise of Dunnharrow?

I like titles that describe the setting, like book titles. Take A Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings, for example.

Magnema
2011-04-14, 06:38 PM
I tend to name things in Latin (and will do Greek as well, when I learn it): it gives the right feel behind the word, without making it English, which is good if it was, for example, named archaically (in Draconic or something). For example, in one campaign I may run at some point, I had a mountain that dominated the island on which the players began. This mountain was called "Montum Rex" - the King of Mountains. It gives the right dominating feel, without being in English. I sometimes apply this to characters as well, and could easily apply it to a world should I name one.

Dr paradox
2011-04-14, 06:57 PM
Well, let's see...

I'm kind of averse to "Rise of Dunnharrow," or variations, largely because it make Dunnharrow sound evil. I mean, the Denotation is accurate, but usually "Rise" in fantasy is associated with things that were low (read: evil) to begin with.

Description of the Campaign so far:
The Party arrived in the frontier town of Fenhaven by way of ice-locked ship, and in the process of their journey, found that their travelling companions had gone missing on the road south into town. Upon investigation, they found that there was an extensively well organized crime syndicate working with the apparent limited sanction of the local law encorcement.

(NOTE: original law enforcement has been replaced with Dunnharrow Legionairres, who are better trained and equipped.)

They uncover a slaving operation with apparent ties to the assistant Mayor, Brom, who actually seems to be a good person, or is at least acting on good motivations. They're on their way to attack the hidden headquarters of the crime syndicate when Brom confronts them, insisting that they no longer interfere. when they refuse, he gets rid of all evidence of his involvement with the Syndicate, by means of blowing up the headquarters.

Perturbed, the party follows up on a loose end in the slaving mine, where they found an abandoned laboratory, and some correspondence between Brom and some kind of elven Wizard, called Extamar, who is evidently building something for Brom.

The Party seeks out her original home, and finds more correspondence, which they are able to use to track down her present location, a sea cave where she is in the final stages of construction of a monster that Brom intends to use to attack the town, and then defeat so that the city will unite under him and be shocked into stronger defensive action against any monsters in the area (I only realized it was the plot of Watchmen later, too. (The Party Didn't))

Infiltrating the sea cave, they defeat a weakened extamar right as she animates the monster, which traps them in the cave and strikes out for land, and it's original purpose. the problem is that Brom doesn't have the weapon to destroy it yet, and it was made to be utterly indestructible.

The party manages to make it back to shore after some time, to find the waterfront in ruins, with Brom and the Legion fighting furiously to hold it back from the rest of town. The Party decides that since what is done is done, and Brom's intentions are noble, they should give him the weapon. he slays the beast and agrees not to have them jailed if they get out of town right then.

They leave, and in a mysteriously abandoned Dwarven mine find evidence that something big and Deific is going on in the smaller nation of Sturn, which is where they're heading now.

There's more involved, but that summary was long enough as it was.

randomhero00
2011-04-14, 07:04 PM
"Rising Harrow" cause it sounds cool and fits.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-14, 07:14 PM
"Harrow Ascendant"?
"Brom's Folly" ?

Does the party have a name?

Dr paradox
2011-04-14, 07:48 PM
The name the Party came up with for themselves is "Rogue Element," based on what Brom called them when he confronted them outsidethe Syndicate headquarters.

I don't know about "Brom's Folly," since

a) He's not really a campaign wide villain. right now he's the perfectly legitemate authority of a major frontier town, and he won't turn up again until the end of act II, when he may or may not die.

b) He actually won, so it's not much of a mistake.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-14, 08:13 PM
"Rouge Element" sounds like a pretty cool title.

"The Rouges of Harrow's Rise"?

Hmmm... it's still kind of hard without demanding moar.
Past information doesn't help much in pinning down a name that accurately describes the entire arc.

TechnOkami
2011-04-14, 08:17 PM
"Rise." Short, simple, sounds like a novel.

playswithfire
2011-04-14, 09:19 PM
A Harrowing Adventure, maybe?

Dr paradox
2011-04-14, 09:57 PM
Lucas, Brendan, Owen, Rohan, Will, or Faolan, PLEASE don't read this.

everyone else who's willing to toss in some advice, go right ahead.

Well, the story isn't really about the rise of Dunnharrow. It's about how it's views (And the views of the lawful good god) conflict with those of the smaller nation of Sturn (With a Chaotic good god as it's patron). Both sides end up being responsible for evil actions, in the name of their own worldviews, culminating in open war while the party does it's best to keep a particular artifact out of the hands of either side, otherwise the war will be over a little quicker than anyone should be comfortable with. For act two, they don't know what this artifact is, and they're working with the Sturnian government to create it, because Dunnharrow would be able to crush them if not for a mostly natural barrier of mountains that defines their borders. It's a Law vs. Chaos struggle, rather than a Good vs. Evil struggle. well, except for the aforementioned witch. she shows up once or twice, and she is hella evil.

I would take it as a personal favor if any explicit references to the plot details here are kept in Spoilers.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-15, 03:45 AM
Lucas, Brendan, Owen, Rohan, Will, or Faolan, PLEASE don't read this.

everyone else who's willing to toss in some advice, go right ahead.

Well, the story isn't really about the rise of Dunnharrow. It's about how it's views (And the views of the lawful good god) conflict with those of the smaller nation of Sturn (With a Chaotic good god as it's patron). Both sides end up being responsible for evil actions, in the name of their own worldviews, culminating in open war while the party does it's best to keep a particular artifact out of the hands of either side, otherwise the war will be over a little quicker than anyone should be comfortable with. For act two, they don't know what this artifact is, and they're working with the Sturnian government to create it, because Dunnharrow would be able to crush them if not for a mostly natural barrier of mountains that defines their borders. It's a Law vs. Chaos struggle, rather than a Good vs. Evil struggle. well, except for the aforementioned witch. she shows up once or twice, and she is hella evil.

I would take it as a personal favor if any explicit references to the plot details here are kept in Spoilers.
I'd recommend an oblique reference to the artifact. It sounds central to the overarching storyline and it can be a nice Title Drop when they actually find it.

So, if the artifact were, say, a talisman that resembles a coin, calling it "Two Sides of a Coin" would be a good way to reference the artifact and the conflict between two nations.

What, exactly, are the characteristics of the artifact? Appearance & salient features, mainly.

EccentricCircle
2011-04-15, 06:23 AM
in the rising days of a sizeable mostly-human empire called "Dunnharrow,"

I'd go with "In the Rising Days" that sounds awesome, and you came up with it.

Järnblomma
2011-04-15, 07:54 AM
I must admit "Rogue Element" is rather good. It also fits somewhat with what you plan to make of the campaign, does it not? :smallsmile:

The Oakenshield
2011-04-15, 06:42 PM
Earl of the Necklaces!
Duke of the Bracelets!
Count of the Clasps!
Viceroy of the Earrings!
Hetman of the Watches!
Thegn of the Belt Buckles!

I'm out of ideas.

Dr paradox
2011-04-15, 08:09 PM
Actually, just "The Rising Days" could work. usually I'm averse to the word rise, but something about this usage doesn't seem too evil. maybe it's only in conjunction with proper nouns and beasts.

The artifact in question is a radioactive/supermagical meteorite, with the present name of "Flameheart"

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-15, 09:04 PM
Actually, just "The Rising Days" could work. usually I'm averse to the word rise, but something about this usage doesn't seem too evil. maybe it's only in conjunction with proper nouns and beasts.

The artifact in question is a radioactive/supermagical meteorite, with the present name of "Flameheart"
How about "The Heart of the Matter?"

Dr paradox
2011-04-16, 12:03 AM
How about "The Heart of the Matter?"

...if you just made the pun I think you made, I'm not sure whether to denounce your sense of humor or ask it to marry me. perhaps a mite too wordy. This should be something quick to say, ideally.

McSmack
2011-04-16, 12:14 AM
"In God's Name". That's all I got.

Maybe not.

"Victory's Price"
"The Deeds of Men"
"Nature of the Beast"
"Heart's Blood" ohhh I like that one!

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-16, 01:23 PM
"Hearts of Fire"

"Burning Heart"

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-16, 01:35 PM
...if you just made the pun I think you made, I'm not sure whether to denounce your sense of humor or ask it to marry me. perhaps a mite too wordy. This should be something quick to say, ideally.
Very well.

"Heart's Desire" :smallamused:

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-04-17, 12:01 AM
HEARTS ON FIRE! HEARTS ON FIRE! BURNING BURNING WITH DESIRE!!! /hammerfallreference

:smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-04-18, 01:35 PM
Heartmatter would have me question whether your campaign world has a focus on elemental magic.

Is being wordy as with The Heart of the Matter bad though? My current campaign I've dubbed Born to be Pirate Kings, that's about as wordy. Obligatory self-promotional plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10612184)! *shot*

Eruantion
2011-04-18, 01:50 PM
Since it's supposed to be about the conflict between two gods over this artifact, how about "The Heart of the Gods"?

Dr paradox
2011-04-19, 10:25 PM
Since it's supposed to be about the conflict between two gods over this artifact, how about "The Heart of the Gods"?

But the thing is, it has to be something the players can know without it being a spoiler about the campaign.

I would prefer it to have a concise name so that it can replace the moniker "Campaign Proper" in terms of ease of use. sure, I COULD name it something thematically appropriate ten words long, but it'll still just end up being called the Campaign Proper.