PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Unicorn Invasion of ... D&D

Amiria
2011-04-14, 05:40 AM
The song "The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee (http://www.myspace.com/gloryhammer/music)" seems like a fun scenario for D&D.

So, the unicorns are undead, most likely intelligent undead. How would you stat them ? I'm currently thinking Gravetouched Ghoul (LM) Unicorns.

And Zargothrax ? He is described as a "sorcerer", presumably chaotic evil who likes "Fireballs and Lightning". So he is a blaster, but how did he got this army ? Maybe he is a Warmage / Cloistered Cleric / Mystic Theurge or some more optimized class combination that gives him lots of blasting and necromantic powers ?

Personally I think that it would be easier if we assume that he somehow found an evil necromantic artifact and unleashed its power on ... "The Forest of Unicorns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XICdeUlTmQ4)" ? :smallbiggrin: And so the heroes must destroy the artifact and rescue the princess ...

His name sounds quite draconic, maybe he is a kobold with all that cheesy options from the Dragon-themed splatbooks ... a kobold in a big robe on stilts :smalltongue:, because the name Zargothrax just sounds big and intimidating ?

Chilingsworth
2011-04-14, 08:16 AM
Well, in the Monster Manual Appendix: Monsters of Faerun, there's the Black Unicorn: basically a coruppted evil version of the normal unicorn. You could either use those, or use it as the base creature for an undead template.

Amiria
2011-04-15, 11:37 AM
Well, in the Monster Manual Appendix: Monsters of Faerun, there's the Black Unicorn: basically a coruppted evil version of the normal unicorn. You could either use those, or use it as the base creature for an undead template.

I know those, but I don't think that really fit. The Unicorns in the book are undead which were "once noble beasts" and those are not undead.

And since most creatures that become undead also get an evil alignment I don't see a reason why they should be used instead of normal Unicorns as a base creature.

Chilingsworth
2011-04-15, 09:42 PM
I know those, but I don't think that really fit. The Unicorns in the book are undead which were "once noble beasts" and those are not undead.

And since most creatures that become undead also get an evil alignment I don't see a reason why they should be used instead of normal Unicorns as a base creature.

Well, for one because they would get somethings to replace the now useless healing SLA's regular unicorns have. Indeed, they actually have an inflict wounds ability.

I suppose you could repurpose normal unicorns SLA's by replacing them with evil equivilants.

Also, thanks for bringing this song to my attention! :smallbiggrin:

neos_dionysos
2011-04-16, 01:50 AM
Maybe one could take some inspiration from the movie "The Last Unicorn". Haggard's castle seems to have just the right look for an evil wizard like Zargothrax to reside in.
In this version, the unicorns are not driven into the sea, but enslaved and turned into undead. And, Chillingsworth, I agree with you. The Dark Unicorns from MoF are a better way to start than just giving normal unicorns the undead template. But they still have to be undead... hmmm: Gravetouched Ghoul Dark Unicorns?
The skull in the dungeons might be the demilich of the former master of the castle, now enslaved by its new ruler (demiliches are powerful, but so is Zargothrax, and they are always quite mad).
As for Zargothrax, I would create him as an arcane spellcaster who found an ancient artifact which allows him to create Undead Unicorns. No religion involved.
There is already an adventure scenario forming in my mind, so I won't post any stats here until it has been played.