PDA

View Full Version : The Dread Lord

Harvest
2011-04-14, 12:18 PM
The Dread Lord

"You see these?" The masked man says, dried blood coating his face and armor. He is holding a necklace made of teeth, the teeth of small children, "I killed each and every child who's teeth I have collected. You dont like that, do you?"
The man shakes his head, oblivious to the outside world, the sheer force of the stranger's personality pressing on his mind.

"You know how I killed them? With this sword, right through the chest, each one of them." The terrifying stranger motions in accordance with his speech. He goes on to say, "This blade isnt just for killing children you know.. It kills grown men too. You dont like that either, do you?" Again, the man shakes his head, horrified out of his mind.

"I bet those guards over there dont like that fact either." States the cold, hardened face of a killer. The man sitting across from this dreaded monstrosity is pale as snow. Next, the man says his final words, "You dont want me to hurt them, do you? I didnt think so, go distract them for me, and I will let them, and you, leave."

The unfortunate man at the table, stands up, gathers his courage, and pulls out his short sword. He thinks to himself, 'Better I do this than them dying..'

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk181/Zurhnel/Keeper_of_Secrets_by_amex91.jpg

Requirements-
Any Evil Alignment
6 Ranks in Intimidate
Dark Speech Feat
Armor Proficiency (Light)

Hit Dice- d8

Skill Points- (4 + Int Modifier)

Class Skills-
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|Spells Per Day/ Spells Known

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|War Shout, Vile Enthrallment, Inspire by Fear |
-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3||
+1 of Existing Class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Cause Terror, Morbid Suggestion|
-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4||
+1 of Existing Class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Inspire by Terror|
-

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5||
+1 of Existing Class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Harrowing Strike, Mass Morbid Suggestion|
-

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6||
+1 of Existing Class

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Inspire by Dread|
-

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7||
+1 of Existing Class
[/table]

War Shouts-

Once per day per Dread Lord level, a Dread Lord can use his terrifying presence to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of War Shouts and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by stares, glares, screams, and music. Each ability requires both a minimum Dread Lord level and a minimum number of ranks in the Intimidate skill to qualify; if a Dread Lord does not have the required number of ranks in at least one Intimidate skill, he does not gain the War Shout ability until he acquires the needed ranks.

Starting a War Shout effect is a standard action. Some War Shout abilities require concentration, which means the Dread Lord must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using War Shout that doesn’t require concentration, a Dread Lord cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands), or command word. Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf Dread Lord has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use Vile Enthrallmen. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.

A Dread Lord with 3 or more ranks in a Intimidate skill can use his music or poetics to cause one or more creatures to become fascinated with him. Each creature to be enthralled must be within 90 feet, able to see and hear the Dread Lord, and able to pay attention to him. The Dread Lord must also be able to see the creature. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. For every three levels a Dread Lord attains beyond 1st, he can target one additional creature with a single use of this ability.

Vile Enthrallment-

To use the ability, a Dread Lord makes an Intimidate check. His check result is the DC for each affected creature’s Will save against the effect. If a creature’s saving throw succeeds, the Dread Lord cannot attempt to enthrall that creature again for 24 hours. If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and listens to the Dread Lord, taking no other actions, for as long as the Dread Lord continues to speak (up to a maximum of 1 round per Dread Lord level). While enthralled, a target takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any potential threat requires the Dread Lord to make another Perform check and allows the creature a new saving throw against a DC equal to the new Intimidate check result.

Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. Enthrall is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.

Inspire by Fear/Terror/Dread
A Dread Lord with 3 or more ranks in a intimidate can use shouts to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the Dread Lord's shout. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the Dread Lord shout and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage roll. Affected party members receive -1 morale bonus after the shout's effects wear off, and lasts a half hour. At 5th level, Inspire by Terror grants a +3 morale bonus, and a -2 bonus after effect, and at 9th level, Inspire by Dread grants a +4 morale, and a -3 after effect.

Morbid Suggestion
A Dread Lord of 3rd level or higher with 9 or more ranks in a Intimidate skill can make a suggestion (as the spell) to a creature that he has already enthralled. Using this ability does not break the Dread Lord's concentration on the enthralled effect, nor does it allow a second saving throw against the fascinate effect.

Harrowing Strike
On a successful attack roll, the Dread Lord may upgrade his attack into a Harrowing Strike, dealing normal damage, and causing his opponent to fall to the ground, prone with fear (he becomes shaken for the rest of the encounter). This attack can only be made once per opponent/per encounter.

Mass Morbid Suggestion
This ability functions like morbid suggestion, except that a Dread Lord of 7th level or higher with 21 or more ranks in a Intimidate skill can make the suggestion simultaneously to any number of creatures that he has already enthralled. Mass morbid suggestion is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting, language-dependent ability.

Comment Section:
First Homebrew! Hopefully I did it properly..

This class was designed with a melee man in mind. Basically he is a guy who charges into battle with a blaze of fury in his eye, Filling opponents with terror, and dread with his Dark Speech.

I was inspired by Vlad the Impaler.

Only real problem we have is the Dark Speech requirement (Which basically makes the Will Save thing insanely hard to get to).

Maybe just give it as a free feat, but require 15 Int and 15 Cha to get into the class? What do you guys think?

Constructive Criticism is Appreciated!

Change Log:

Samfool
2011-04-14, 09:34 PM
I Like It!