PDA

View Full Version : And...The Shadows Preached Back [3.5 Prestige Class]

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-14, 01:07 PM
Savant of the Gloom

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/Dark_Cleric_by_Nezric.jpg

I preached to the people and the people did learn,
That there was an afterlife to try to earn.
I preached to creatures that dwell in the plains,
But they chose to stand with their bestial aims.
I preached to the dead and the dead did rise,
But I am of the Divine - it was no surprise.
I preached to the dark ones, those who dwell in the black,
And to my surprise, the shadows preached back.
- A short poem written by a Divine Bard, John Walker, after meeting a Savant of the Gloom.

Before creation, before the Great Wheel was set to turn, and before the Gods wrought a new world, there was no light. And thus, by this simple hypothesis, people have determined that the first thing to exist was darkness. This primordial darkness seems to carry great power when invoked, and many clerics worship it as much as another cleric would worship Kord or Pelor.
But there exist a small minority that wish to become closer to the shadows, and thus take up Shadowcasting. But at best, it is just the hollow shadow of normal Arcane Magic, and slows the cleric's progress in their more powerful divine casting, making the dual specialty a weakening experience.
As you would guess, this minority will not be stopped, and so through heavy training, have managed to blend their beliefs and their object of worship together. And when you mix the shadows that can become anything that is real, and beliefs that are strong enough can make real anything you imagine, the possibilities are endless.

Becoming a Savant of the Gloom
Multiclass Cleric/Shadowcasters are nearly always the kind of player that takes this class, gaining full benefit from it. Any other class with access to divine spells and domains can join this class however, but they tend to miss out on using some of the better class abilities.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 9 ranks.
Spellcasting/Mysteries: Must be able to cast 2nd level Divine Spells and know at least two mysteries OR Must know at least 3 mysteries and be able to cast at least 4 0th level Divine spells per day.
Domains: Must have access to the Shadow* domain.
Special: Must have spent at least 7 days without seeing any light whatsoever.
*Eberron Campaign Setting p108

Class Skills
The Savant of the Gloom's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Move Sliently (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|
BAB|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Special|
Spells/Mysteries

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|All is Darkness|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Bolster the Shadows|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Chilling Touch (Cold Damage)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Call Forth From Darkness|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus Mystery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Chilling Touch (Dex Damage)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Silent as a Shadow|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Weave from the Umbral Mists|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Chilling Touch (Dex Drain)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Bonus Mystery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

11th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Cloaked Passageway|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

12th|
+6|
+8|
+3|
+8|Chilling Touch (Paralyzing) |+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

13th|
+6|
+8|
+3|
+8|Dark Genesis|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user

14th|
+7|
+9|
+3|
+9|Shadow of the World|+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing mystery-user [/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: Savants of the Gloom gain no new proficiencies.

Mysteries/Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new mysteries and spells per day and increase in caster level (and mysteries or spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in both your mystery-using class and your divine spellcasting class. You do not gain any other benefits a character of these classes would have gained, except as listed below. If you had more than one mystery-using or divine spellcasting class before becoming a Savant of the Gloom, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells/mysteries known.

All is Darkness: Because your divine power is derived from shadows, and your shadowcasting IS shadows, it is quite easy to apply the teachings of one magic to another. You gain an increase to your Divine Caster Level equal to your Shadowcaster levels, and an increase to your Mystery Caster Level equal to your Cleric levels. Note that this increase does not include caster levels granted by this class. Also, the DC's for your Mysteries and Fundementals is now keyed off your Wis modifier, and not your Cha modifier. Lastly, your mysteries are cast as divine spells instead of arcane spells, unless you choose for them to be cast as arcane spells.

Bolster the Shadows (Su): At 2nd level, you can use a spark of divine inspiration to increase the reality of your shadow spells. Whenever you would cast an illusion with the [Shadow] descriptor, you may expend a turn undead attempt as an immediate action to increase the reality of the spell by 10%.
At 10th level, you may expend two attempts to increase the reality of the spell by 20%. This effect can only be applied on spells that refer to being only so real (described in percentage). Using this ability on other spells wastes the attempt and has no effect.

Chilling Touch (Su): At 3rd level, you may bend the shadows into your hand, in an attempt to make your enemies feel very cold. As a touch attack, you can deal xd4 points of Cold damage if they fail a Reflex Save, where X is half your levels in this class. At 6th level, your touch attack also deals 2 points of Dex damage on a failed save. At 9th level, the Dex damage becomes Dex Drain instead. At 12th level, on a failed save the target is paralyzed for 1 round, as well as the Dex Drain and the Cold damage.
The save for this ability is 10 + Half the Savant of the Gloom's Character Level + The Savant of the Gloom's Int Modifier. This ability can be used as many times per day as the Savant of the Gloom wishes.

Call Forth From Darkness (Su): At 4th level, you can mimic life itself with the shadows you call. When you cast a Mystery, you may forgoe the normal effects of that mystery, and instead mimic a Summon Monster spell of the same level as the mystery. Unlike Shadow Conjurations, these beings are just as real as the normal thing and just as painful to fight.

Bonus Mystery: At 5th and 10th level, you learn one additional mystery that you qualify for.

Silent as a Shadow (Su): At 6th level, you have learnt how to make your shadow speak the magical words needed for spells, freeing up your own voice. Any spell you cast does not need a Verbal Component, even word-based spells like Word of Chaos. Instead, your shadow speaks a shadow of the word, a simple memory of someone talking.

Weave from the Umbral Mists (Su): At 8th level, you learn how to mimic the finer, more intricate parts of matter, and form them into reality with divine grace. As a full-round action that costs three turn undead attempts, you may summon to your hand or immediately in front of you, any non-living matter or item worth no more than 200*your levels in this prestige class. Any weapon summoned in this way gains an enhancement bonus to attack rolls equal to one quarter of the Savant of the Gloom's character level. These items work just as a normal item of it's type, but is made up of a black, billowing mist, thus their weight is negligible and they cannot be sold.
These items last for one hour, unless dismissed as a free action.

Cloaked Passageway (Su): At 11th level, distances become a memory to you. You gain Shadow Walk as an SLA, usable a number of times per day equal to your Int modifier. Also, the range of all mysteries you know from the Ebon Roads path have their range increased by 50%, to 150% of the normal range.

Dark Genesis (Su): At 13th level, you gain the powers to do what only the gods were fabled to do - create new life. Once per month*, in a ritual taking one hour of concentration, you may create any CR 1 living creatre. You may increase this CR limit by expending any number of spells or mysteries of the same level at the end of the ritual, but only up to a maximum of CR 10. The lifeform cannot have any templates, and is a fully living creature created brand new, not summoned or called or even instantaneously conjured. The lifeform speaks any one langauage the Savant of the Gloom speaks, and has a array of 10 points in each attribute score (Not including racial adjustments). The resulting creature gains the Dark Creature template (ignoring the rule against templates in this specific case), and is fanatic towards its creator. If the created lifeform would be an LA+0 creature (A human, for instance), it has levels in Commoner. A Savant of the Gloom may only have a number of creatures created in this way in existence at any one time, equal to their Int Modifier. The Savant of the Gloom cannot even Raise or Resurrect slain creatures created by this ability if their limit of created creatures is reached.
*This is in the Savant of the Gloom's PERSONAL TIMEFRAME. No, you can't Genesis up a demiplane and hide away for a few days at a time. Anyone who tries to break this class ability is to be submitted to Care Bears, to be hugged to death.
Yes, this is RAW.

Shadow of the World (Ex): At 14th level, you become a shadow yourself, more welcome on the Plane of Shadows than wherever you were born. You gain the Dark Creature template and the Incorporeal subtype. You may become corporeal again, or resume being incorporeal as a swift action. Any equipment you are wearing or holding when you shift corporeality changes with you (i.e. Your sword becomes incorporeal when you do, and becomes corporeal again when you become corporeal).

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-14, 02:46 PM
Interesting class. I disagree with some of the fluff, but given the nature of it that's probably a good thing.
Questions:
Do shadowcasters or clerics get partial reality spells? The only ones I remember off the top of my head are arcane, but I could be mistaken.
Weave from the Umbral Mists (Su): Can you create magic items or bulk quantities of cheaper items with this?
Cloaked Passageway (Su): why is this keyed off int?
Dark Genesis (Su):This is a really cool ability, but I'm not sure how useful it is vis-a-vis going and finding a member of that race, especially with the cr1 cap, fixed stats and locked in commoner class. It would be more useful if it meant that you could easily produce smart animals or loyal spies, but I'm fairly certain that the stats in the books are calculated with a 10point array (meaning they're be exactly the same as listed) and the Dark Creature template templates going to make them less useful for spying in most cases. Also do they have a set starting age.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-14, 02:53 PM
Interesting class. I disagree with some of the fluff, but given the nature of it that's probably a good thing.
Questions:
Do shadowcasters or clerics get partial reality spells? The only ones I remember off the top of my head are arcane, but I could be mistaken.
Weave from the Umbral Mists (Su): Can you create magic items or bulk quantities of cheaper items with this?
Cloaked Passageway (Su): why is this keyed off int?
Dark Genesis (Su):This is a really cool ability, but I'm not sure how useful it is vis-a-vis going and finding a member of that race, especially with the cr1 cap, fixed stats and locked in commoner class. It would be more useful if it meant that you could easily produce smart animals or loyal spies, but I'm fairly certain that the stats in the books are calculated with a 10point array (meaning they're be exactly the same as listed) and the Dark Creature template templates going to make them less useful for spying in most cases. Also do they have a set starting age.

In order;

Fluff is mutable - If it's bad, just ignore it, 'cause I certainly won't be offended (made it up on the spot).
The Shadow Domain grants Shadow Con/Shadow Evo/Greater of both/Shades, so they can use that ability.
It's keyed off Int because so are your Mysteries, and I don't want those to be forgotten.
Hrrrrrrrrm. I guess I could allow for a bit of leeway. I shall also give them a starting age.

Thanks for replying, anyway.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-14, 03:17 PM
Doesn't All is Darkness make your mysteries key off wis?

Zaydos
2011-04-14, 03:23 PM
Well you're getting 15th level shadowcasting at the cost of 1 level of cleric casting which is pretty good as is (yes I know Mystic Theurge is unplayable because you get 13th level X casting at the cost of 3 levels of Y casting, but 1 level still leaves you on par with a sorcerer or favored soul and you get a fair number of boosts).

At will incorporeality is pretty good (unbodied is decent and gives up multiple manifesting levels for it), and more than worth the 1 level lost of casting and restriction of domain all by itself.

3 round paralysis is an at-will save or lose which is generally not a good thing; compare to Binding Blast which is mind-affecting, and only stuns for 1 round with a DC 17 + mod save to negate the stun.

Dark Genesis breaks with sufficient down time. Every day I gain a CR 10 creature as a pet.

The lower level abilities all tend to be reasonable for what you're losing and flavorful, though I still have a few notes and questions there.

Text vs Table: You have 4 bonus mysteries on the table but the text says only two specific levels, you might want to correct this. Note that this also gives in effect 1 or 2 bonus feats.

Bolster the Shadows: Does it work with the Dark Mysteries path mysteries? If not it should.

Entry: I'm rather sad that you have to have a clerical focus to enter this class and can't choose between Cleric 5/Shadowcaster 1 or Shadowcaster 5/Cleric 1.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-14, 04:02 PM
Well you're getting 15th level shadowcasting at the cost of 1 level of cleric casting which is pretty good as is (yes I know Mystic Theurge is unplayable because you get 13th level X casting at the cost of 3 levels of Y casting, but 1 level still leaves you on par with a sorcerer or favored soul and you get a fair number of boosts).

How about an entry point of Cleric 4/Shadowcaster 2, (sorta) like a normal theruge? It's just I didn't want people screaming "It's like Mystic Theruge only WORSE AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!"

At will incorporeality is pretty good (unbodied is decent and gives up multiple manifesting levels for it), and more than worth the 1 level lost of casting and restriction of domain all by itself.

It's at 20th level........so i'm not really bothered.

3 round paralysis is an at-will save or lose which is generally not a good thing; compare to Binding Blast which is mind-affecting, and only stuns for 1 round with a DC 17 + mod save to negate the stun.

So down to one round it goes.

Dark Genesis breaks with sufficient down time. Every day I gain a CR 10 creature as a pet.

Every day? Bloody Planar Traits..........I know how to fix this. Will do so.

The lower level abilities all tend to be reasonable for what you're losing and flavorful, though I still have a few notes and questions there.

Text vs Table: You have 4 bonus mysteries on the table but the text says only two specific levels, you might want to correct this. Note that this also gives in effect 1 or 2 bonus feats.

My bad.

Bolster the Shadows: Does it work with the Dark Mysteries path mysteries? If not it should.

It should indeed. Will rectify.

Entry: I'm rather sad that you have to have a clerical focus to enter this class and can't choose between Cleric 5/Shadowcaster 1 or Shadowcaster 5/Cleric 1.

I wasn't sure how to word it, but because you've asked I shall try.

Replies in Gecko Green.
EDIT: The entry point is now Cleric 4/Shadowcaster 2, and I'm going though the fixes as we speak.
EDIT2: Applied the fixes. Will try to word a dual-entry point now.
EDIT3: And we're done for now. The entry point is Cleric 4/Shadowcaster 2 OR Shadowcaster 4/Cleric 2. Look at that, you can also enter as Cleric 3/Shadowcaster 3, if you really want to. Huh, go figure.