PDA

View Full Version : Trope discussion

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-14, 05:08 PM
And that's why TV Tropes is nothing but reductions. It takes things and makes them smaller so they fit on lists.

Going to start by saying that measuring the marigolds *was* completely accurate to your complaints, unless I've misunderstood. I'll give you a quick summary of the trope:

When you measure/analyze/study something, it is no longer beautiful or divine.

Does this summarize your views effectively?

I just want to get the groundwork laid before I try to argue anything.

I see this as a pretty common complaint about TVtropes: If you go and LABEL everything, then it ruins it!

Lurkmoar
2011-04-14, 08:37 PM
Another thread open on the subject already...

Some people get... rankled at the oddest things. I suppose I'm no different, I HATE HATE HATE HATE Faygo.

Looking into something in no way ruins the beauty. Does taking an art class lessen the impact of a beautiful painting?

edit: Though... I don't really wanna go to the local meat packing plant to see where my burgers are from... think I'll have a salad tonight instead.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-14, 09:43 PM
Beaten to the punch by eight minutes. I knew I shouldn't have taken a phone call!

The Big Dice
2011-04-15, 08:51 AM
Going to start by saying that measuring the marigolds *was* completely accurate to your complaints, unless I've misunderstood. I'll give you a quick summary of the trope:

When you measure/analyze/study something, it is no longer beautiful or divine.

Does this summarize your views effectively?

I just want to get the groundwork laid before I try to argue anything.

I see this as a pretty common complaint about TVtropes: If you go and LABEL everything, then it ruins it!
Ok, second thread, but I'll take this one.

TV Tropes is full of fanboy gushing that barely has anything to do with critical literary thinking. It is nothing more than long lists of things that contain a similar element. But it's done in such a way that the meaning and impact of the very things it lists gets lost in the morass of the list itself.

The act of labelling is irrelevant compared to the fact that most of the labels are spurious and useless in any sense, other than in categorising things on the TV Tropes site.

kpenguin
2011-04-15, 02:22 PM
The Modguin: Redundant thread is redundant. Thread locked.