PDA

View Full Version : The Sinking (IC)

Telfire
2011-04-14, 06:08 PM
You have been delivered a note that simply reads.

Denver.
the Black Bull inn.
5th of June.
Tell the man you like the head.

The Collector

OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10607031#post10607031)

Wargor
2011-04-14, 07:41 PM
Grath stares at the note, unable to read the words written on it. I really should learn to read one of these day... He thinks, scratching at his head. As soon as he has found someone to read the note to him, he packs his things and heads to Denver, curious as to what this meeting would bring.

GodGoblin
2011-04-15, 04:25 AM
"A mysterious note? A new place to visit? Ah this must be the after life" He mutters to himself. Tarruk tucks the note into his jerkin, packs up camp, ups his bag and sets towards the nearest civilised hub for directions to Dale. He guessed no one would know of it here in the woods.

Telfire
2011-04-18, 06:50 AM
5th of June

Grath

You arrive at Denver just as the gates for the morning are opening, you move through the city looking for the Black Bull (you figure it must have a picture on the front for those who cant read). You eventually find it around noon, nestled on the dock front between two warehouses, one bustling with workers, the other strangely silent and slightly uncared for.

Tarruk

You take several days to reach Denver. Some Halflings you asked for directions pointed you in the direction of the nearest lake, it took you a day to get back on course. You swear never to trust a halfling no matter how few human skulls line their belt. You finally reach Denver a little after two if the town clock is to be believed. You ask around for directions to the Black Bull and finally a few sailors say they know of the place, but they would need a little incentive to give you directions.

GodGoblin
2011-04-18, 08:37 AM
"Right then boys! How about we have ourselves a little game? Ill bet my 4 silver and you the direction of the tavern." Tarruk pulls his deck out of his pocket and starts to shuffle the cards. "So what will it be? Pazaak? Three kings? The Harlots draw?"

Wargor
2011-04-18, 08:41 AM
Grath looks up at the sign for the tavern, fairly confident that this was the right place. He pushes open the door and steps inside, before walking up to the bar. He looks the barman straight in the eye and smiles. "I like the head." He intones, just as the note had said.

Telfire
2011-04-18, 01:37 PM
Grath

The barman seems to consider your outfit for a second while casually wiping a glass clean. He pauses and nods to the door just to the left of the bar, glancing to it quickly before moving back to cleaning the glass.

Tarruk

"little game of Harlot can't hurt" says the smaller of the two, flicking his own pack of cards from a pocket "But I think we'll play with these shorty" motioning with the cards. You move with them over to a barrel with a few stools sat round at the edge of the docks.
"one round, aces high." he proceeds to deal out five cards to each of you sat round the barrel, placing the pack in the centre. The deck looks worn and some of the cards have warped backs from some one holding his hand a little too tight.

roll 5d13s, separate, spoiler and post it.

Wargor
2011-04-18, 03:31 PM
"Thank you." Grath replies, bumping his chest with a fist. He moves over to the door and knocks twice before opening the door, stooping a little to avoid hitting his head, and walking through.

GodGoblin
2011-04-19, 03:30 AM
Tarruk roars with laughter "Come now youngling, no one likes a cheat. Ill ignore those crooked cards this time. And trust me lad you do not want to find out what happens to cheaters in Dwarven lands" He didnt actually know himself but it sounds convincing enough. "Here use these, ill even let you shuffle" Tarruk says handing his better conditioned cards to the sailor.

If he takes them and plays without any funny business Tarruk with play along too. Also d13? Wtf!?

[roll0]

Telfire
2011-04-19, 04:31 AM
Grath

You enter the room beyond and are almost overwhelmed by the thick blanket of smoke laying on the room. A friendly voice says "ahh Grath isn't it?" You cannot tell where the voice is coming from till the smoke starts the move just ahead of you, you can just make out a hand beckoning you over.

Tarruk

The sailor looks at you with an amount of menace in his eye, but reluctantly takes back his own cards and shoves them back in the pocket from whence they came. "Fine but i'm still dealer." He proceeds to split the deck and shuffle it a few times. He then puts the top two cards face down to the side and deals out three hands of cards, leaving the pile in the middle.

the d13's are to represent your hand.

GodGoblin
2011-04-19, 05:19 AM
Tarruk looks at his cards and nods to the man to start, he plays the hand trying to keep a very stoney face, giving no hint of emotion or any clue of what hes thinking.

Wargor
2011-04-19, 06:45 AM
Grath walks forward, fanning the smoke away with his hand. "Yes, I am Grath. Grath Spirit Kin. Spotting the hand he moves towards it slowly. "Who is it that summons me here?"

Telfire
2011-04-19, 08:55 AM
Tarruk

The second sailor puts down one of his cards burning it, he picks up one to replace it. The first sailor gestures to you to do the same.

Grath

"I, am The Collector." The figure sitting in the smoke announces. "Please close the door you are letting the Geshpa out." The figure stirs to pick up a pipe coming from a large glass sphere, which seems to be leaking more smoke into the room.

Wargor
2011-04-19, 10:00 AM
Grath closes the door and steps further into the room. "The Collector? The Collector of what?"

Telfire
2011-04-19, 08:02 PM
Grath

"The Collector of many things." He pauses and takes another drag from the pipe. "Now, I have heard many good things about you from sources I trust implicitly, and on this merit I wish to give you a job opportunity..."

GodGoblin
2011-04-20, 03:35 AM
After a few more turns of burning cards Tarruk shows the sailor his full house and collects his silver from the table. "So boys, about this tavern?"

Telfire
2011-04-20, 05:27 AM
Tarruk

"fine... just round the corner, its next to the big guild warehouse." The second sailor says, obviously annoyed at losing the hand.

You wander round the corner and walk for 2-3 minutes, you see the tavern between two large warehouses. With the sun starting to set the tavern seems to shine from the small grubby windows. The rest of the docks still and silent, the tavern seems out of place with light and music spilling out.

GodGoblin
2011-04-20, 06:22 AM
"Hehe Cheers fellas!" Tarruk bellows back as he makes his way to the tavern from the directions given.

Wargor
2011-04-20, 11:53 AM
Grath frowns, wondering exactly who had been telling anyone about him. "A job? What kind of job are we talking about?"

Telfire
2011-04-20, 07:24 PM
Grath

"Nothing too taxing to begin with. A simple guard duty, A to B that sort of thing. We'll move on to bigger and better things after that, but for now I feel this is a sufficient test of your mettle." The Collector flashes you a wide grin and takes yet another drag.

Wargor
2011-04-21, 04:50 AM
"That sounds...acceptable. Tell me, what shall I be guarding?" Grath looks around the room for a chair, and if there is one, settle his bulk into it.

Telfire
2011-04-21, 05:41 AM
Grath

As your eyes become accustomed to the gloom of the room they notice the Collector is sitting cross-legged on a large cushion with the pipe in the middle on the floor. You move to the cushion opposite him and sit down rather awkwardly. "An assortment of goods, mostly food, with some other supplies." He pauses to cough slightly. "it will be leaving on three barges tomorrow at noon, heading for the great Dwarf Stronghold of Karak Var. I would get there some time before to ingratiate your self with the Captain. I have known him for many years and he has a quick temper about him."

GodGoblin
2011-04-23, 09:00 AM
Tarruk strides onwards into the tavern, swinging the doors open with both hands and striding towards the bar. Once he catches the barman's attention he speaks "Hey, you know I really like the head..." Motioning towards the foetid bull head resting above the bar.

Telfire
2011-04-24, 03:40 PM
Tarruk

As you step in the bar, the noise drops a level and most of the faces turn to face you, some scowl and return to their pints most simply turn back to their conversations.
The barman mutters and points to the room to the left of the bar. You step through the door and a cloud of stale smoke hits you, you instinctively cough and your eyes water from the billowing cloud.

GodGoblin
2011-04-25, 06:15 AM
Tarruk stumbles blindly on, trying to wave the smoke away from his face "Hello? Im here about a letter!" He bellows into the room.

Telfire
2011-05-04, 07:32 PM
"Ah just in time, Tarruk isn't it? Come, sit." Through the smog you can make out a figure lounging comfortably on a chaise longues, and another much larger figure sat a little less comfortably on one opposite. You take the third seat and the first figure continues. "Grath, Tarruk. Tarruk, Grath. There, introductions done." He beams a large smile at both of you. "Now you have been invited here for a job within the guild, menial stuff to begin with but with some help from me you could make quite a career out of this opportunity." he flashes another winning smile at the pair of you. "Your first assignment with the guild, should you choose to accept, will be a simple cargo transport, the shipment leaves from this fair town on the morrow at noon and you will act as guards, defending the guilds property till it has been delivered and paid for by our contacts. Any questions so far?"

GodGoblin
2011-05-05, 03:46 AM
Tarruk tries to waft the smoke from his face in an attemot to see clearly as he moves to sit down next to the larger humanoid "Ah a Goliath, and out of the mountains? How curious. Grath was it?" he says while offering a hand to shake.

Wargor
2011-05-05, 07:37 AM
Grath accepts the hand in a crushing grip, smiling broadly. "Well met Stonebrother! Indeed, Grath Spirit Kin is at your service." He lets go of Tarruks poor abused hand and settles back in his chair, which creaks under his weight. Perhaps all this smoke has dried it out...He thinks absently. "So what's the pay for the job?"

GodGoblin
2011-05-05, 08:05 AM
Tarruk whimpers as Grath squeezes his hand, once he lets go Tarruk shakes it in an attempt to regain feeling before turning back to this illusive man. "So this job is just to protect a caravan? Then why were we summoned personally, surely a help wanted poster would have recieved many suitable applicants. Is there something you are not telling us?"

Telfire
2011-05-05, 08:46 AM
First The Collector turns to Grath, "You will be paid guild rates for your services, one gold piece for each day's service. also any loot is your own to take." and then to Tarruk "This is a special shipment which needs more than your average guards, I cannot go into specifics right now but in time it will be made aware to you the nature of this assignment" "This is also the captains first voyage at the helm, so I require some hands who can help him if he gets into a tight spot."

GodGoblin
2011-05-05, 09:13 AM
"Hmm well I dont trust this one bit, but hey its a gamble! Fine im in, what about you big guy?" He asks turning to Grath.

Wargor
2011-05-05, 09:30 AM
"Count me in, I could do with the coin, and it's somewhere to explore! Nothing I love more than an adventure!" Grath lets out a booming laugh, grinning widely. "Any thing else we need to know Collector?"

Telfire
2011-05-10, 09:42 AM
"Nothing i can think of, you know the time and the place everything else will become clear in time." The Collector leans down to one side and produces several sheets of parchment from a chest. "Thank you for your time gentlemen, if you would be so kind as to sign your contracts here and now, it would save a lot of bother in the morning." A quill is also removed from the bag and a small pot of ink. he gestures for you both to sign individual sheets. "Just a cross will suffice my stony friend."

GodGoblin
2011-05-10, 09:54 AM
"Hmm, sounds good to me." Tarruk takes the pen, dips it in ink and after a couple of shakes he scribbles his signiture.

Wargor
2011-05-11, 06:10 AM
"In that case I accept! Let's make this formal." He takes the quill from Tarruk and dips it in the ink, before scrawling a messy cross on the parchment. "I think that just leaves us to get to know each other Dwarf! By your leave Collector, we shall go drink!" He stands and beats a fist against his chest, before waiting for Tarruk to leave the room.

GodGoblin
2011-05-11, 06:22 AM
"Aha! Now that is more like it, to the bar my stony friend" He almost bellows as he thuds his chest in response and starts to walk out into the bar out front.

Wargor
2011-05-11, 06:49 AM
Grath grins cheerfully as he follows the dwarf out of the door, stooping as he steps through. He strides over to the bar and leans down on it, the bar top letting out a creak at his weight. "Barman! What have you got to drink?" He shouts happily, his voice as loud as the booming echo of a deep valley.

GodGoblin
2011-05-11, 07:14 AM
"Yes bring us drink! And keep it coming!" Tarruck leans against the bar and looks up to his large companion "So what made you answer the call?"

Wargor
2011-05-11, 09:24 AM
"Adventure! There's nothing quite like discovering new places and new civilisations! Boldly going where you've never gone before! It's what I live for, by the spirits, and the money just makes life easier!" Grath lets out a booming laugh and slaps his smaller companion on the back. "How about you stonebrother, what made you come?"

GodGoblin
2011-05-11, 09:52 AM
Tarruk coughs and lurches forward as he gets bashed on his back. "Oh no you didnt! how about I mess up your shi" "Ack! Ahem.. Yes adventure is why I am here too, nothing quite like it! Im sure this one will take us to the outer reaches of the sector for sure"

Telfire
2011-05-11, 12:45 PM
The barman places two tankards of sweet smelling mead on the counter in front of you. "want me to keep a tab or you not here long?"

GodGoblin
2011-05-12, 04:37 AM
"A tab would be grand, thankyou!" He says taking hold of the tankard and raising it towards Grath "To adventure my Earth brother!"

Wargor
2011-05-12, 07:19 AM
"To adventure!" Grath slams his tankard against Tarruk's before downing the whole thing in one go. "Another!"

GodGoblin
2011-05-12, 07:32 AM
Tarruk throws his drink back also and slams his tankard on the bar "Yes! Another!" He shouts yet again before turning round to look at the other patrons in the bar, preferably for some female company or at least someone to have a game with.

Telfire
2011-05-18, 07:08 AM
You look around the bar and find few women of note, an elderly wench is serving drinks around some of the tables. On the other hand there are a number of roudy sailors that are already playing cards and dice in one of the corners, most are human but there are a few orcs around the table.

GodGoblin
2011-05-18, 08:42 AM
"Say you a gamblin' man Grath? How about we make ourselves some gold?" Tarruk says still watching the sailors, face set into a smirk.

Wargor
2011-05-29, 09:07 PM
"Can't say I am really, only on wrestling normally, or goat ball, what do you have in mind?" Grath leans in close, a smile on his face.

GodGoblin
2011-06-01, 04:19 AM
"Goat ball? Hmm sounds very unhygienic... Not much of a wresting man either but I would be willing to put some cash on you my friend! Hmm actually that gives me an idea..." Tarruk says pushing himself off from the bar and walking into the centre of the room.

"My good people! Is there anyone here who is strong of arm and brave of heart? Willing to make themselves a bit of gold? Then step right up and challenge this mysterious stranger from the mountains to an arm wrestle, is there anyone in this town who thinks they have what it takes? ...No? Well how about for every gold you bet against this Mysterious stanger I will pay you Twenty if you win! Thats right folks you cannot afford not to get in on this!" Tarruk bellows about the room trying to appeal to the drunken sense of invulnerabity in the people around him.

Wargor
2011-06-01, 05:11 AM
Grath stands there with a grin on his face, before letting out a bellowing laugh and flexing his muscles. "Who's man enough eh?!" He shouts heartily.

Telfire
2011-06-07, 07:36 AM
The patrons of the bar stop momentarily with your shout, they all look your way, then to a table of three burly looking sailors sitting in one of the bars alcoves. The biggest of the three stands up "if you got the coin to lose then sure, I don't mind takin' your money." He gestures to the seat opposite to him as his two fellows move out of their seats.

GodGoblin
2011-06-07, 07:54 AM
"He he Grath youre up! Come on you scallywags wheres your gold? Tewnty to one for the human to win!" He says walking up to the table.

Wargor
2011-06-07, 08:53 AM
Grath strides over and settles into the seat opposite the man, putting his elbow down onto the table and putting his hand out. "Good luck." He says, grinning.

Telfire
2011-06-08, 10:23 AM
The rest of the inn seems interested now, conversations pausing and looking your way. The beefy sailor says "I like them odds. Means I get more when I beat you Stony" without breaking eye contact gestures to one of his mates "put on a silver for me Jim" The two other sailors rifle through their pockets for a few seconds then one hands a couple of silver to the one called Jim, he then hands five silver pieces to Tarruk. "Five for Dave to win" Several other patrons come over to the Dwarf, and a hand over some change totalling 34 silver, all on the human to win. They all seem confident that their human representative will win this test of mettle.

GodGoblin
2011-06-08, 10:34 AM
"All right boys, you ready? You steady!? Then begin!" Tarruck roars into the crowd drinking in the atmosphere.

Telfire
2011-06-08, 10:42 AM
Dave and Grath settle down across the table from one another. Several more patrons have moved over to check out the commotion coming from the Dwarf, now a sizeable group is surround the alcove, some cheering others just watching patiently. Goliath and Man grip hands and on the Dwarfs command begin straining to pull the others hand to the table.

Wargor
2011-06-08, 11:41 AM
Grath strains hard, using all his might to force the humans hand down.

Strength check.

[roll0]

Telfire
2011-06-08, 07:31 PM
In the first few seconds Dave's arm seems to falter and Grath takes full advantage of it driving his muscle bound arm towards the table.

another strength check if you will

Wargor
2011-06-09, 06:28 AM
Grath grins a feral grin and keeps pushing, harder and harder.

[roll0]

GodGoblin
2011-06-09, 06:35 AM
Tarruk watches the contest with a rather large grin making sure to keep a tight grip on his bag of silver.

Telfire
2011-06-09, 07:27 AM
Dave's hand looks inches away from the tabletop, his face is creased with the effort of keeping his arm up. The crowd seem to be booing at Grath, expecting a show of strength from Dave they keep cheering him on.

and another, you're very close to putting his hand through the table

Wargor
2011-06-09, 08:32 AM
Grath tenses and with a final surge tries to flatten the sailors hand to the table.

[roll0]

Telfire
2011-06-09, 07:58 PM
Dave's hand finally gives way and you crush it into the table, the crowd roar with disappointment.

GodGoblin
2011-06-10, 05:00 AM
"And we have a winner! Oh Im sorry guys, sometimes the odds really are too good to be true, better luck next time!" Tarruk lets out a roaring laugh taps the coin purse and wanders back over to the bar. "Dave! Whats your drink?"

Wargor
2011-06-10, 07:56 AM
Grath lets out a victory shout, pounding his fist on the table. "Bad luck my friend, maybe next time you might beat me! Tarruk, get me a drink, I've worked up quite a thirst!"

Telfire
2011-06-10, 10:02 AM
Dave seems shocked that Grath had beaten him, he then seems perplexed at the offer of a drink, "...err...i'll...err...i'll have some ale..if yer buyin'." You ask the barman for three drinks and he pours out the pints, "that'll be 9 copper for the lot"
Once you both return to the table drinks in hand, Dave asks Grath "eer, how come you's is so strong?"

Wargor
2011-06-10, 10:06 AM
"Us Goliaths were born strong! When you have to battle the mountain everyday strength is a must! But you put on a good show, well done!" Grath laughs, slapping the sailor on the back.

GodGoblin
2011-06-10, 10:26 AM
"Its best not to think too hard about it my boy, now let us drink up a few more before bedding down, that caravan leaves at noon remember"

Wargor
2011-06-14, 06:40 PM
"Agreed!" Grath shouts, standing and striding to the bar.

Telfire
2011-06-15, 05:21 AM
Dave's face seems to crease for a second almost as if you can see the cogs turning, "what caravan you leavin' wiv tommora? cos me and the lads are on one out tommora"

GodGoblin
2011-06-15, 06:59 AM
"Were heading to the Stronghold of Karak Var, did you get the letter about the head?" He asks handing out the ales to his companions.

Telfire
2011-06-15, 03:39 PM
"Wot 'ead?" Dave looks around him and seems nonplussed "ohhh you mean the one behind the bar, that's bin there for years!" with a final moment of realisation. "nah didn't get no letta bout the 'ead"

Wargor
2011-06-15, 05:02 PM
"Well if we're going to be working together then lets drink up and get ready for a long day ahead!" Grath grabs an ale and chugs, smacking his lips.

GodGoblin
2011-06-16, 06:32 AM
"Indeed!" Tarruk throws back his too "Right a few more then I will retire upstairs" He says waving to the barkeep.

Telfire
2011-06-16, 08:00 AM
james please reread my previous post and edit accordingly

Wargor
2011-06-16, 09:09 AM
Why? He never said that he wasn't working on the caravan, just that he hadn't got that particular letter.

Telfire
2011-06-16, 12:17 PM
Dave seems bemused but chugs down his pint and lets out an enormous belch.

GodGoblin
2011-06-17, 03:50 AM
Tarruk continues to swig through his next few drinks before standing up with a slight wobble. "Alright laddies time for me to retire to me chambers" He says as he wanders off to his room, he is noticibly more 'Dwarven' than before he started drinking.

Wargor
2011-06-17, 06:21 AM
"I as well!" Grath surges to his feet, almost knocking his chair over, whilst downing his last pint. Wiping his mouth he goes to find a room.

Telfire
2011-06-20, 07:36 AM
Dave and the lads mutter a farewell to your receding backs slightly bemused about the whole evening, they seem to settle in with another pint and continue socialising.

You both make your way up the creaking stairs to your room, the dingy hallway is lit with mustard yellow tallow candles and sends odd shadows across the wall. The door to your room looks old and worn but still serviceable, the lock looks like its been replaced several times, but the one in it at the moment seems sturdy enough. Tarruk pulls out the key given to him by the barkeep and fumbles a little driving it home, the lock gives a satisfying click and the door swings open with a push. The room is sparsely clothed, with little more than two beds, a table, two chairs and a candlestick, there are several candle brackets hanging from the walls, these give off a cleaner light than those in the hall and seem to flicker less. The table is set against the right hand wall with the beds opposite you as you enter, each one is positioned in front of a window.

GodGoblin
2011-06-20, 08:26 AM
Tarruks walks into the room stopping and leaning against the doorframe to look around, he chooses the nearest bed and slumps onto it leaving the door ajar for Grath to follow. After a deep breath he kicks off his boots, removes his shirt and gets under the blanket. Before long the sound of his snoring fills the air, he doesnt even bother to blow out the candle.

Wargor
2011-06-20, 09:28 AM
Grath chuckles, and blows out the candles before squeezing himself into the other bed, trying his best to get comfortable before dropping off to sleep.

Telfire
2011-06-22, 05:33 AM
You awake the next day feeling a little groggy, you look out the windows which are now streaming in with light from the mid morning sun, you can see the hustle and bustle of the docks below you, workers moving crates and merchants selling their wares. A little way down the docks you can see the largest of the vessels in the port, three huge floating rafts being loaded with barrels and crates stacked higher than a man.

GodGoblin
2011-07-04, 09:11 AM
"Urgh ma' Bowels!" Tarruk declares as he fumbles his way off the bed and darts out of the room Bloody human ale... he thinks to himself on the way to the nearest cabin.

Sorry I did post this before but the work comps must have messed it up.

Wargor
2011-07-04, 11:04 AM
"Morning friend!" Grath shouts after the departing dwarf, before lumbering out of bed and getting dressed, before descending down into the main room.

GodGoblin
2011-07-05, 08:37 AM
Soon Tarruk joins Grath downstairs, looking a tad queazy and a few stone lighter. "Gah, I never learn..."

Telfire
2011-07-06, 09:29 AM
As you go downstairs you hear lots of noise coming from the main hall, men talking, chairs scraping and cutlery clinking on bowls. At the bottom of the stairs you can see into the room and it looks like half the town are in here eating meals. Some at tables, the rest sitting on the floor eating where they slept, on bed rolls and packs. All of them sailors and dock workers and all of them busy.

GodGoblin
2011-07-06, 10:31 AM
"My its busy in here, any chance of breakfast?" He says as he walks in and talks to the barman.

Telfire
2011-07-06, 01:18 PM
You see the bar man stood behind the bar with two large steaming cauldrons placed on thick wooden planks, he has a ladle in both hands and looks busy ladling thick slop into the bowls of queuing workers. He nods a rough greeting and says "grab a bowl and i'll fill em up" He nods over to the other end of the bar where there is a stack of bowls being handed out by a pretty young woman. The barman says something to her and she looks over to you with a harassed look and you step over, she hands over the bowls with a huff and carries on taking money in exchange for a bowl.

Wargor
2011-07-06, 03:54 PM
"How pleasant!" Grath complains cheerfully, taking his bowl before moving over to the cauldron of slop and holding his bowl out.

GodGoblin
2011-07-11, 06:20 AM
"Eurgh, that was not enjoyable..." Tarruk says as he wanders over to Grath and collects a bowl "Suppose I better eat anyway, long day ahead of us eh?"

Wargor
2011-07-11, 07:18 AM
"Not able to handle your ale friend? I had heard Dwarves were famed for their drinking abilities! But yes, a long day indeed, we had better eat up and get to the caravan." Grath waits to be served before heading for a table.

GodGoblin
2011-07-11, 04:12 PM
"Of course I can! This human rubbish just gives the trots... Nasty stuff." He says waiting his turn for breakfast and following Grath to a seat.

Telfire
2011-07-13, 10:28 AM
You quickly nab the seats of two sailors who have just risen after finishing their morning meal.

GodGoblin
2011-07-14, 06:37 AM
"Ah this will do" Tarruks sayss as he sits downa nd starts to eat.

Telfire
2011-08-04, 04:56 PM
You finish your slop and head out onto the docks. You can see the same three barges you saw from the window in the distance and you walk over to them. It seems most of the workers on the docks are working on loading up the barges, each is being stacked with crates 5ft square, most are already on only the last few are still being stacked and held in place by ropes as thick as a man's wrist.
It seems all of the movement is being cordinated by a large Orc with fine clothes similar to The Collector you met the previous night. He looks up from a ledger and spots you, ignoring the few clerical staff surrounding him he calls out to you and starts towards you. "so you must be the guards my, The Collector told me about, well we are almost ready to go just waiting for the last of the crates to be loaded. You can wait with the other guards over there till we are ready." He gestures over to a pile of ropes coiled up against the wall of a warehouse where 6 men are sat or leaned against it whiling away the time. Each seems heavily armed with thick armour and a long sharp blade at their side.

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 03:57 AM
"Indeed we are! Thankye' just let us know when youre ready to get moving" Tarruk says before casually wandering over to the others and sitting on a coil of rope. "Morning boys."

Wargor
2011-08-08, 05:59 AM
Grath gives the captain a genial nod before striding over to the other guards, taking a seat as best he can amongst the rope coils. "Good morning! Grath's the name, pleased meet you all."

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 06:04 AM
"Oh yes, forgive my rudeness Im Tarruk. Yourselves?" He asks the other mercanaries.

Telfire
2011-08-08, 07:51 AM
The other guards look up and from some you hear a mumble which sounds like a greeting but most stay silent. They all seem well dressed and their equipment looks well used. Two of them are sitting on the ground playing dice with their swords and shields resting against some barrels, the rest have their shields slung and their swords at their belt. one of the men seems to be poring over a small book, his neighbour is picking his nails with a small dagger. The remaining two are sat sharpening their swords. They all look up at your presence but they soon go back to what ever it is they were doing before.

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 08:42 AM
"Dice! Ah mind if I join? Whats the bet?" Tarruk asks excitedly as he pulls up a barrell or stool to join the gamblers.

Wargor
2011-08-08, 09:08 AM
"Dice? Bah, where's the sport in that? Games should be of skill, not luck!" Grath grumbles cheerfully, but nonetheless he positions himself to be able to see the outcome of this new endeavour.

Telfire
2011-08-08, 09:17 AM
The guards seem a little wary of you but one of the two playing dice seems friendly enough "have a seat, i'm Dale, who are you?" he says with a grin.

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 09:52 AM
"Excellent! So what we playing, 2 dice highest wins? Or something more complex?" He says rubbing his hands together.

"Ah Grath my friend, there is more skill to some of these games than you might think" He says to his stoney companion with a wink and grin.

Wargor
2011-08-08, 10:39 AM
"Bah! Give me wrestling or Goat Ball any day! Then you'd see some skill." Grath cries, his grin nearly splitting his face open. "Maybe I'll show you a game some day!"

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 10:40 AM
Tarruk chuckles "Oh I think ill just stick to gambling for now, I saw that arm wrestle match yesterday remember!"

Wargor
2011-08-08, 11:01 AM
"That? That was nothing! Not until your in the river, wearing just a loincloth and wrestling over a goats bladder do you know a real challenge! Ahhh good time!" Grath slaps his knee, his eyes bright, mind wandering down memory lane.

GodGoblin
2011-08-08, 11:26 AM
Tarruk remains silent, actually stunned by the impact and intensity of Graths homosexual undertones.

Telfire
2011-08-10, 06:30 AM
Dale also seems stunned, directing his attention back to Tarruk, "The rules are simple." he proceeds to explain them to you with several comments from his buddy opposite, it seems easy enough, just simple luck with an handful of skill in reading people.

right give me a d20 roll

GodGoblin
2011-08-10, 11:55 AM
Tarruk rubs his shands together and throws some dice.

[roll0]

Telfire
2011-08-10, 05:13 PM
you all roll your dice in secret and then look around betting more and more on higher rolls, soon you call Dale out on his bet, his face drops as the cups raise and he quickly counts up the dice. You reach forward with a grin on your face and collect your winnings.

you gain 7 silver pieces

GodGoblin
2011-08-10, 05:16 PM
"Haha! Thats more like it! You can stick to your goatball Grath, I just love the feel of other peoples money" He places the coins into his purse and converses with the others until the captain is ready.

Telfire
2011-08-10, 05:29 PM
After a few more rounds and some more conversation with the group you learn that Dale's companion is Cesar, the two sharpening their swords are Alton and Damon, the one reading is Loren and the captain is Marco, you also learn that they have been doing this work for several years now as a group.
After a few hours of waiting you finally see the Orc who greeted you approach and you and the rest of the group arise. "Right we head off on the hour pack up your stuff and load it on the Marie, and i want two up ahead and two behind the rest stay with the mules and the crew."

Wargor
2011-08-10, 05:45 PM
"I suppose we'll take the front, the spirits favour the bold afterall!" Grath declares, smiling widely, before stepping up the ramp and making his way to the front of the boat.

GodGoblin
2011-08-11, 04:07 AM
"Indeed they do my friend! Well thankyou for the game boys, see you on the ship." Tarruk says following Grath up the ramp giving the captain a nod of thanks.

Telfire
2011-08-31, 08:08 AM
The Captain seems to look at you strangely, "I meant scouting the way ahead not sitting on the damnable barge! what use are you there?!" starting to get a little annoyed with the pair of you he starts barking orders to cast off the barges with a few workers on them to keep them going the right way. The rest of the guards sort out two of them to form a rear guard and the rest shoulder their packs and step in line with a few dock workers accompanying them and the Captain.

GodGoblin
2011-08-31, 10:34 AM
"Oh I see! Sorry not usually one for the water me. So will we have a scouting vessel?"

Wargor
2011-08-31, 10:45 AM
Grath steps off the barge, looking slightly puzzled. "Or are we to scout along the river banks?"

Telfire
2011-09-01, 09:04 AM
"Don't worry, we'll go ahead" says Alton as he and Damon stride to the fore. "Cesar, Loren, to the rear." Marco shouts, taking control of the situation, "Looks like your first time out, don't worry, follow us and you won't go wrong." he says to you with warmth in his voice, if a little condescending. Dale appears to your left "He's alright, just treats us all like children sometimes." "we walk on the bank with the mules as they pull it along, two guards up ahead watch for any bandits and two to the rear for any thing tracking us." "make sense?"

GodGoblin
2011-09-01, 10:25 AM
"Ah! Now I get it, right then lead the way!" Tarruk bellows excited to get going.

Wargor
2011-09-01, 12:50 PM
"I see, now it's clear. Shall we depart then?" Grath takes up his place, ready to set off.

Telfire
2011-09-02, 06:08 AM
After a few strikes the mules move off dragging the slow train of boats down and out of the town.
as you pass the town limits you can see for several miles down the river as it snakes it way to the coast. The river bank has a few trees against it now and then but mostly long grass, it looks like the edge of fields that haven't been harvested yet. in the distance to the left you can see small wisps of smoke rising, Dale tells you that its the town you are heading for.

You set off at a reasonable pace chatting with Dale about the surrounding countryside. He tells you stories of savage midgets that wear human skins as cloaks and that can pelt an ordinary stone so hard it can shatter a human skull.

if you would like to ask him any questions about the local area or anything I will put that up in the next post.

The day wears on and soon it is almost sunset, The Captain barks orders for the barges to stop and for them to be pegged down on the bank, a suitable tree is used to anchor them in. You and the guards clear a space for a fire to be laid and light it, it throws weird shadows over the barges as the workers still tether them down. Marco puts Dale and Grath on first watch, then himself and Tarruk. The whole camp seems to busy itself with their tasks.

Wargor
2011-09-02, 06:55 AM
Grath stretches his arms wide, tired after the days journey, but still alert. Drawing his Morningstar and sliding his shield onto his arm, he sets off at a slow pace around the camp, his ears senses alert for any disturbances.

GodGoblin
2011-09-02, 11:28 AM
Tarruk sets down his pack and removes his armour he sits next the camp fire with a sigh of relief. Without saying a word he soon finds himself drifting off to sleep. His baldric lays next to him containing his weapons and prayer book.

Telfire
2011-10-04, 09:33 AM
Tarruk
As you drift off to sleep you hear two of the dock workers chatting round the fire and you can only make out a few words as they are talking quietly, at the word "stunty" you stir and they shut up for a second and look over. You act as if you are still asleep and hear the rest of the conversation, it seems they don't share your companions willingness to accept others.

Grath
You spend your watch patrolling the rim of the camp, the beasts of the forest seem to keep out of your way, you can hear rustling on the far bank but you put it aside when you see a deer jump over some long grass. You finally get relieved and spend the rest of night resting up for the day ahead.

Both
You wake the next day at dawn feeling rested, around you the camp is being dismantled and the captains tent is being pulled down. The dock workers are rushing round clearing up their equipment and the guards are sat waiting for everyone to finish, as soon as you are up and ready to leave the captain calls for the barges to cast off.

GodGoblin
2011-10-07, 08:34 AM
Tarruk stands up and collects his belongings before finding Grath. "Morning! Sleep well my friend?" He gestures for them to walk towards the barges as he speaks.

Wargor
2011-10-07, 12:19 PM
Getting himself ready, Grath nods sleepily, letting out a huge yawn as he stretches his impressive frame. "Like a boulder! Up in the mountains you learn to sleep just about anywhere. How was your night?"

GodGoblin
2011-10-09, 07:28 AM
"Was fine, the ever trusty bedroll kept me warm. So ready to set off?" Tarruk replies yawning before removing his comb and brushing his beard.

Wargor
2011-10-09, 11:06 AM
"Aye! I almost hope for some trouble today just to make the trip more interesting. Nothing gets the day started like a good fight. Now, let's get some breakfast and see about leaving!" Grath wanders over to any likely looking camp-fires, looking for somthing to eat.

Telfire
2011-10-26, 09:15 AM
right sorry about being a long time in posting, uni and chloe have had to come first, but ive got a bit of a break so im gonna try and pick this up again

As you both rise the smell of bacon draws you over to the camp fire, Dale is sat eating a hunk of bacon and chewing on some bread that looks a little too stale, he greets you and offers some, you accept and join him. Around you the camp is being disassembled, the few bed rolls being stored on the barges and the animals being roused. A little time later the bosun gives the signal for the party to start off and in much the same way as the previous day the group heads down river.

You carry on at the same pace for several hours till about midday, the mules are watered and fed and given a rest. The party comes to a stop and the guards take a defensive position. Marco tells you to take up a position to the rear looking out for threats from the fields. You scan the fields full of long grass looking for ripples that seem out of place but nothing seems suspicious.

After a half hour you are back on the road, this time you both circle round and form the vanguard.

GodGoblin
2011-10-26, 10:29 AM
"Eurgh I tell ye Grath, this duty is getting mighty borin'! What do they even need us all for, incase the grass sprout arms and raids the caravans?" Tarruk says with frustrated tone and chuckle.

Wargor
2011-10-26, 02:50 PM
"Ahh not the grass my friend, probably the tree's though, I've seen a few suspicious looking trunks I must say!" Grath chuckles as he strolls along. "I must say, I thought we might at least face some trouble. Even a lost animal or two just to spice the day up."

GodGoblin
2011-10-27, 04:47 AM
"Indeed, if this were a book we would be at least 5 pages in and nothing has caused any trouble! Shouldnt complain really its easy money after all." He continues as he trundles along after Grath, moving faster than he would like to keep up with his companions great strides.

Telfire
2011-10-27, 05:34 AM
After a time you switch back to the main party.
As the sun starts setting you keep wondering why the rest of the guards seem on edge, something about all of them seems off, a start from one, a wary look over their shoulder from another. Its as if they feel someone watching them. Both of you feel nothing is amiss and if you try to ask them whats wrong they don't say anything but gesture instead to the long grass not 10 feet from the edge of the track. Several of the guards have their crossbows drawn and strung, as if waiting for something to pounce.
With the sun reaching the horizon you hear some odd bird calls and some rustling from the long grass.

Grath
Your keen eyes catch a glimpse of several moving figures dashing through the long grass. They looked no taller than a child and for the most part naked.

Tarruk
you look around annoyed that you can't see what everyone else sees.
what do you do?

GodGoblin
2011-10-27, 06:33 AM
"This is mighty unsettlin'.." Tarruck pulls out his prayer book and leafs through before trailing a broad finger along a piece of text and reading it aloud as he does so. Following this a wisp of multicoloured light flows out of Tarruk's chest, growing in size and intensity it soon envelops his whole body with its chaotic mass. From within he draws his short bow and nocks an arrow.

Casting Entropic Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entropicShield.htm)

Wargor
2011-10-27, 03:53 PM
"I don't mean to alarm everyone, but it seems some little fellows are tailing us through the grass." Grath mutters quietly, hoping to not be overheard by their persuers. Resting his hand on the handle of his Morningstar, he watches the figures out the corner of his eye. "Do we confront them?"

Telfire
2011-10-27, 04:25 PM
Grath
Dale whispers back "i know, its the halflings. This is probably a trap. Keep an eye out and your head down"

Tarruk
Your companions seem slightly distracted by your prayer and even more so when a prismatic bubble appears out of thin air around you.

Both
The Captain moves to the front of the group nearest the long grass, he bellows out in an almost guttural language which seems to only be a series of hoots and barks. The group is held in tense anticipation waiting for something to happen.

After a few silent seconds two child size figures slink out of the grass, one well built and muscular the other older and much more frail. The bigger of the two barks back in the same way as the captain, moans and grunts issuing from his mouth. It seems cautious keeping its spear and shield raised in an attacking pose. The second figure seems to whisper into the first's like an advisor to a king.

Tarruk
From the posture and body language of the two you manage to figure out that they are bargaining for something, what that is you cannot guess as you obviously do not speak their language.

GodGoblin
2011-10-28, 04:10 AM
"Be on alert, they seem to bargaining for something... Could turn nasty." Tarruk says to Grath as he continues to watch the scene unfold, bow ready to fire in case of attack.

Readied action to shoot when a Halfling turns hostile.

Wargor
2011-10-28, 06:05 PM
"Aye, it smells like trouble." Grath affirms, narrowing his eyes as he watches the small but powerful looking warrior speak.

Telfire
2011-10-29, 09:08 AM
The Captain looks strained as he continues communicating with the small creature, finally he returns to the group, he gathers you all and says, "They want some of our stock to pass but if i dont get it to Karak Var the Collector is gonna string me out no end!" "what can we do? fight them? just carry on moving? or give them some of the cargo?" he looks between the two of you and Marco searching for answers.

Wargor
2011-10-29, 09:39 AM
"The choice is yours, but we must show the halflings that we won't bow down to them. I say we fight." Grath advises the Captain with a sharp nod of the head. His grip upon his weapon tightens as he prepares for the order to draw it.

GodGoblin
2011-10-29, 12:50 PM
"My opinion is whatever you pay it to be, fighting sounds fine to me though" Tarruk says accompanied by the creak of his bow straining as he tugs lightly on the drawstring.

Telfire
2011-10-29, 04:12 PM
Marco seems to think for a second, "but we can't see them. How do we get at them if we can't see them?"

Wargor
2011-11-14, 06:53 PM
"It seems we wait for them to come to us. A pity." Grath grumbles good naturedly, his battle thirst rising.

Telfire
2011-11-17, 06:51 AM
Marco seems to think for a minute, "ok how about if we let them take some of the stock but say they have to come get it, then when they all come out to take it back we hit them hard?"

GodGoblin
2011-11-21, 07:30 AM
"Aye that could work.. Tell your interpreter to bring them over" He says while knocking a new arrow and testing the tention on his bow.

Telfire
2011-11-22, 08:16 AM
Macro explains the plan to the Captain, he seems nervous at the idea but still nods in agreement. Marco comes back as the Captain goes to the Halfling Chief. Marco takes the two of you and a few of the dock hands and start manhandling one of the crates off the barge, its heavy but nothing Grath can't handle, you get it into the middle of the clearing and after some noises from the Halfling Chief half a dozen halflings enter the clearing and as you retreat to a few meters away they proceed to push and pull the box to the edge of the clearing.