PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 Games

Darkxarth
2011-04-14, 07:22 PM
Hello all!

My wife and I are about to receive a nice, big tax refund check. We have already allotted a significant amount of it: student loans, an old credit card bill from less fiscally responsible days (finally paid off), GenCon tickets, and a few lesser purchases.

The point is, we have enough money left over and have decided to splurge and buy ourselves an Xbox 360. We're not investing in a Kinect, but an extra controller and a fairly large hard drive are on the list. The question is: what games should we get? Mostly we're looking at older games, since our budget after Xbox and extra controller isn't huge, but we're open to suggestions of new or upcoming games. Here is the list of potential candidates as it stands.

Dead Rising
Crackdown
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Fable 2
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Left 4 Dead
The Orange Box

We haven't decided on whether or not we're going to get an Xbox Live account. My top 3 picks (Dead Rising, Crackdown, and Arkham Asylum) are pretty much single-player games, I believe. But my question is that, even if we don't play a lot of multiplayer games, don't we need an account for updates and patches (as for Fallout 3)?

Anyway, answers and suggestions are all appreciated, our tastes are varied, so we'll consider virtually any genre.

Mewtarthio
2011-04-14, 07:34 PM
We haven't decided on whether or not we're going to get an Xbox Live account. My top 3 picks (Dead Rising, Crackdown, and Arkham Asylum) are pretty much single-player games, I believe. But my question is that, even if we don't play a lot of multiplayer games, don't we need an account for updates and patches (as for Fallout 3)?

You don't need a premium account to get updates and DLC. A free Windows Live account covers all that.

Zevox
2011-04-14, 08:34 PM
But my question is that, even if we don't play a lot of multiplayer games, don't we need an account for updates and patches (as for Fallout 3)?
Not at all. Basic things like updates/patches, free demos, or downloading X-Box Live Arcade games all can be done with just a free silver Live account. The paid gold account is mostly for online multiplayer (and, from the ads I've seen, miscellaneous crap like playing Netflix videos on your X-Box).

On games, well, of those you listed I've only played Batman: Arkham Asylum and Fallout 3. Arkham Asylum is definitely a good game, but I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3 myself. Guess you might like it more than I did if you like shooter-style gameplay though.

For other games, well, if you don't have any particular genre or other such kind of games you want information on, I guess I can just list off the games I have an can vouch for being worthwhile:

WRPG: Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins & 2.
JRPG: Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey.
Fighting: BlazBlue: Continuum Shift*, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Soul Calibur 4.
Action-Adventure: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

*And its predecessor, BB: Calamity Trigger, but since Continuum Shift came out the only reason to get that is for the story mode. Which is actually not a bad reason to pick it up if you find it for a reasonable price. The BlazBlue series is that rare series of fighting game that actually has an extensive story and a lot of world-building put into it, so playing the first game before the second is actually a good idea as far as story mode goes.

A couple of games which I have or intend to get but haven't played in full yet that might be worth looking into: Blue Dragon (JRPG), Eternal Sonata (JRPG), Devil May Cry 4 (Action), Brutal Legend (Action/RTS).

Zevox

Name_Here
2011-04-14, 08:58 PM
Skip Dead Rising 1 go strait to DR2. Such an amazing upgrade between sequels.

Assassin's Creed is also a deeply deeply flawed game. It is worth playing because it sets up the story and it's awesome fun to sneak around as Desmond during the night but you shouldn't be expecting a perfect or even a great game when you buy it. But if you stick it out you can appreciate the amazing game that is Assassin's Creed 2.

One game that I loved beyond description was Viva Pinata. It's a nice peaceful game.

Another fun game is Saint's Rows 1 and 2. SR1 is a a shameless GTA rip off but it's fun. SR2 takes off into an amazing direction though. Everything about the game is just fun.

My Darkhorse pick is going to be Condemned. It's a first person shooter where you fight bums and demonic creatures with pipes and 2x4s. It's brutal, visceral and scary as can be. It's amazingly well done but never play the game in a dark room or just before bed.

thegurullamen
2011-04-14, 10:25 PM
I can recommend The Orange Box and Batman, (especially if you haven't played the Half-Life 2 series yet) but would warn against spending more than $0.01 on Crackdown (which is how much I got it for on eBay) It's a fun enough game, but it's very limited and doesn't do anything that Just Cause 2 doesn't do 20x better.

Other suggestions:

Mass Effect 1 & 2 (10-20 bucks on good days)
Saints Row 2 (20)
Bioshock (10)

warty goblin
2011-04-15, 12:34 AM
I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3 myself. Guess you might like it more than I did if you like shooter-style gameplay though.

And if you do like shooter style gameplay, there's approximately ten bazillion games for the 360 that do it much better than Fallout 3. Really, only go for that game if you like mediocre shooting, a lot of boring slow motion gore, a large yet dull world, and the color brown.

If shooting dudes in the face is your thing, and you want to break from Ye Olde Corridors, I suggest Far Cry 2. For a more linear but still not braindead experience, Crysis 2 is a solid (and very easy on the eyes) bet. If seriously linear is the way you roll, I rather like the most recent Medal of Honor - while it's yet another modern shooter and hardly subtle it seldom dives into the stupid excesses of, say, every other game in the genre.

I'm a Bioware apostate for the most part, so here's some slightly less GOTY RPG suggestions I nevertheless found worth my time and money.

Two Worlds 2: Take one part open world, one part weirdness, stir well, and you're about there. There's a somewhat ridiculous amount of customization available, the story's not stellar but not damaging to one's brain (and some of the more involved side quest chains are quite well developed), and the combat is quite satisfying. It gets weaker a good ways in, but is still quite good.

Alpha Protocol: Perhaps more accurately titled the Mass Effect series' visually challenged and slightly weird but much more interesting best friend. As this might indicate, it's pretty solidly in the RPG/shooter paradigm of the ME series, but lacking the polish. Mechanically it's closer to ME 1 than 2, since the gunplay is quite stat dependent instead of being a poor man's Gears of War ala the second. It's adequate, but little more, in most of these areas. Where things get interesting is the structure of the game.

There's really no side quests per say. There are optional missions, but they all tie into the central plot. Not just in a 'provide background information' way either, but in ways that actually alter the events of the story. Really, there's a ridiculous number of story altering decisions to be made, and many if not most of the dialog choices are actual choices with some sort of impact down the road. Hell, the story can change based on how you play some missions, a feature I like as it breaks down the odd dialog/gameplay wall that most RPGs rigidly enforce.

factotum
2011-04-15, 01:57 AM
Get Just Cause 2--it's awesomely fun!

MechaKingGhidra
2011-04-15, 02:30 AM
While Batman: Arkham Asylum was a truly amazing game, if you do not plan on finding all of the Riddler's hidden trophies, the time investment is lacking.

I'm not even a particular fan of the DC universe except for Batman: The Animated Series (I miss that particular quality of detail in cartoons) and I beat the game in one session while just happening across a lot of those afore-mentioned trophies along the way.

Admittedly, the speed in which I did this may have just been just reflective of how bored I was at the time I first started the game up. But still....

The Orange Box is definitely worth it. Getting 4 games for the price of one is almost always a great deal, especially when all of the provided games have their own flair of story or complete lack thereof (Team Fortress, how I love you so).

If I may, I would like to suggest the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as there are a LOT of games on there, some admittedly soul-crushing, but most of them quite fun and very time-consuming. Dynamite Headdy and Gain Ground are my top two favourite picks from there but hey, since there are so many *types* of games on there, I'm sure you'll quickly find favourites of your own.

(P.S. All I ask is that if you just happen to get this game bundle, you won't just judge it purely by Altered Beast and/or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as those two games are the soul-crushing games I mentioned which are the epitome of unadulterated evil. I've almost entirely beaten the latter, but that's a lot of bleeping time of my life I REALLY want back. :smallfurious:)

For the less well-known games, if you're into obscure titles I highly suggest 'Armored Core: For Answer'. You customize robots to complete a variety of destruction-themed missions and while it admittedly has a lot of technical details for min/max style players, a rather forgiving sum of these things can be ignored if you just want to wreak some fast-paced chaos.

Think Zoids but without the animal themes and cartoony style. Quite gritty. (Edit: Well, okay, I guess that's closer to Gundam than Zoids, but still not cartoony.)

My suggestions are obviously not amazing but should hopefully encourage you to look beyond the typical assortment one would expect to find in gaming.

You might just find a buried treasure.

banjo1985
2011-04-15, 04:43 AM
From your list, Assassins Creed and Arkham Asylum are great bargain purchases. Creed is flawed but good fun and interesting in terms of story, while Arkham Asylum is one of the most accomplished games I've ever played. I wasn't particularly impressed with Fable 2, Dead Rising or Fallout.

Tales of Vesperia is worth a look, but only if by some miracle its cheap and easy to get where you are. I had to hunt for ages to get my copy at a reasonable price, but it's well worth it if you're into JRPG's. It's kind of multiplayer too, which is a bonus.

Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate are other good bargain choices for JRPG's. You'll struggle to find multiplayer stuff outside of the Kinect and online gaming though. It's been ages since I've found a 360 game with split screen multiplayer. :smallsigh:

Brother Oni
2011-04-15, 07:18 AM
Assassin's Creed is also a deeply deeply flawed game. It is worth playing because it sets up the story and it's awesome fun to sneak around as Desmond during the night but you shouldn't be expecting a perfect or even a great game when you buy it. But if you stick it out you can appreciate the amazing game that is Assassin's Creed 2.

Desmond doesn't dook any sneaking about in the original AC - you're referring to Brotherhood here.

I agree that it's deeply flawed and that AC2 or Brotherhood are much better purchases, but the opportunity to go wandering around the medieval Holy Land shouldn't be missed.

@Darkxarth:
Don't neglect the various X-Box Live games either as they can be just as good as 'proper' games and are usually a bit cheaper as well.
Plants versus Zombies and Toy Soldiers are good suggestions. I quite like the Go game and my brother is addicted to the various Puzzle Quest games.

Name_Here
2011-04-15, 08:26 AM
Desmond doesn't dook any sneaking about in the original AC - you're referring to Brotherhood here.

Between every section you can pickpocket the Dr. and Lucy and then break out of your cell to read their emails or eavesdrop on their conversations that's what I meant by sneaking around. Now you may not consider that sneaking around but on the flipside I don't think running around a city at night leaping and climbing like a damn fool is sneaking around so we may just be at cross definitions.

I agree that it's deeply flawed and that AC2 or Brotherhood are much better purchases, but the opportunity to go wandering around the medieval Holy Land shouldn't be missed.

True I just didn't want him going into the game expecting more than it actually delivers.

MechaKingGhidra
2011-04-15, 12:14 PM
Plants versus Zombies and Toy Soldiers are good suggestions. I quite like the Go game and my brother is addicted to the various Puzzle Quest games.

Whoa, hold on there...there's Plants versus Zombies for the Xbox? I LOVE that game but have only played it on an iPad and, of course, in a web browser on my computer.

Are the controls forgiving, especially considering how fast the game can get? I'm worried that I would be quite clumsy beyond the usual touching the screen or using a mouse.

Puzzle Quest I had completely forgotten about. I think there's a second one out now? Either way, best points I ever spent over Live.

Maxios
2011-04-15, 12:19 PM
Here are some suggestions (Some of which may have already been suggested or on your list):
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Red Dead Redemption (I never played it, but heard it was really good)
Batman Arkham Asylum (Or as I like to call it, the greatest 360 game ever)
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas

Brother Oni
2011-04-15, 01:11 PM
Plants versus Zombies

It's perfectly playable - I've beaten the game and managed to get to about round 30-ish on survival, but that was due to strategy rather than speed of clicking.
The main ease of use change is that you don't have to click on the sun drops, just roll your cursor over them, other than that, shoulder buttons to scroll through your plant selection and you're good to go.

They've added several different modes to it as well, my favourite is the co-op campaign mode, which makes playing with younger siblings or children possible (completed it with my 7 year old).

Puzzle Quest I had completely forgotten about. I think there's a second one out now? Either way, best points I ever spent over Live.

There's also Puzzle Quest IN SPACE! and is the trickiest one to play (hexagonal pieces and the new blocks slide in from the closest edge of the board rather than from the top).

Airk
2011-04-15, 01:59 PM
Tales of Vesperia is worth a look, but only if by some miracle its cheap and easy to get where you are. I had to hunt for ages to get my copy at a reasonable price, but it's well worth it if you're into JRPG's. It's kind of multiplayer too, which is a bonus.

Well, for folks not in Europe (I'm not sure which region the land of Ten-Thousand Puns is in) Tales of Vesperia is available for $25 on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Vesperia-Xbox-360/dp/B0015HZLVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302893691&sr=8-1) which is conveniently just enough for free shipping.

Otherwise, it's ALSO available on the 360 Games on Demand section for $30. (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Tales-of-Vesperia/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d07e9)

AND there's a DEMO (Note: Difficulty and suchlike in the demo are not strictly representative of the actual game.)

So no real excuses for not trying out a pretty solid JRPG.

Darkxarth
2011-04-15, 02:36 PM
(I'm not sure which region the land of Ten-Thousand Puns is in)

:biggrin: I had forgotten that was my listed home region. I am in the States, so no worries about that. I've gotten several recommendations for Tales of Vesperia, so I'm going to keep an eye out for it when we go in tonight. Right now, I haven't really looked at ordering anything online (either through eBay or Amazon), but I may have a look through shortly and make a list of prices before we go shopping.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I will take them all to heart.

Darkxarth
2011-04-15, 07:35 PM
Tonight we ended up with

Me
Fallout: New Vegas
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Crackdown 2
Mass Effect 2 (played and beat ME1 on PC)
Dead Rising

Wife
Fable 2
Toy Story 3
Plants vs. Zombies (thanks for the tip on Co-op mode!)
Portal: Still Alive (Full game + bonus; XBL download)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (XBL download)
Pre-Ordered Portal 2

Zevox
2011-04-16, 12:50 AM
Mass Effect 2 (played and beat ME1 on PC)
:smallconfused: Then why didn't you get that for the PC too? There's a fair amount of content in ME2 that you only get if you import a save file from ME1, which you can't do if you have them on different platforms.

Zevox

Darkxarth
2011-04-16, 08:10 AM
:smallconfused: Then why didn't you get that for the PC too? There's a fair amount of content in ME2 that you only get if you import a save file from ME1, which you can't do if you have them on different platforms.

Zevox
I played Mass Effect 1 on my college roommate's computer. Even if I had access to the save file (impossible, I think, since his computer has mega-crashed and been formatted since then), my personal computing machine isn't powerful enough to run ME1 or ME2.

Zevox
2011-04-16, 10:18 AM
I played Mass Effect 1 on my college roommate's computer. Even if I had access to the save file (impossible, I think, since his computer has mega-crashed and been formatted since then), my personal computing machine isn't powerful enough to run ME1 or ME2.
Ah, I see. Still, picking up ME1 at some point so that you can import a completed save file from it to ME2 would probably be a good idea if you like the series.

Zevox

Triscuitable
2011-04-16, 12:36 PM
*And its predecessor, BB: Calamity Trigger, but since Continuum Shift came out the only reason to get that is for the story mode. Which is actually not a bad reason to pick it up if you find it for a reasonable price. The BlazBlue series is that rare series of fighting game that actually has an extensive story and a lot of world-building put into it, so playing the first game before the second is actually a good idea as far as story mode goes.

I actually avoided BlazBlue: CS for the story. I'm not a fan of games that hash in a story that makes NO SENSE AT ALL. "This is the Azure Grimoire? (the BlazBlue if you play the Japanese version, which is the one my local arcade has.) No, it's a fake. Or is it? Yes, unless it is no. But can it truly be? Certainly, but only if it's really true. Do we know that? No, but maybe yes."

Zevox
2011-04-16, 12:46 PM
I actually avoided BlazBlue: CS for the story. I'm not a fan of games that hash in a story that makes NO SENSE AT ALL. "This is the Azure Grimoire? (the BlazBlue if you play the Japanese version, which is the one my local arcade has.) No, it's a fake. Or is it? Yes, unless it is no. But can it truly be? Certainly, but only if it's really true. Do we know that? No, but maybe yes."
It is certainly confusing and the overarching narrative is not terribly well told - believe me, I had to ask for clarification about a lot of things in the BlazBlue thread on these forums when I played the first game. Looking up information online is going to be pretty much mandatory to actually understand everything that's going on. But it is a good story once you understand it, and even when you don't it succeeds in developing the characters far better than any other fighting game series even tries to.

Zevox