PDA

View Full Version : Kick-The-Can

Valley
2011-04-14, 09:20 PM
Wait....is that a game? I mean, a game has a goal, rules to reach that goal, so on....is Kick-The-Can really a game? Anybody old enough to remember when it was even played? I assume it was before board games became common, maybe during the early 20th Century or late 19th Century.

Any old, grumpy, people around to tell us, in a round about way, about the good old days, when the streets were mud, toilets were outhouses, and PS3 was kick-the-can?

Domochevsky
2011-04-14, 10:22 PM
...wait, that's an actual thing? >_>

Did it involve kicking it against a wall in one step, with multiple people? (With the one who failed to kick it against the wall in one go from wherever it landed losing out until only one remained. Because we played that back in the days with a regular ball.)

toasty
2011-04-14, 10:26 PM
The version I played was a variation on Tag. You get a soda can, put in on the ground. Someone is "it" they count and everyone else hides. The person who is "It" tries to find everyone. If they are caught they go to "jail" (near the can) and wait. Eventually, someone tries to kick the can and free them. The game essentially becomes a sort of "defend the can" game. If you are tagged, you're a prisoner, but if you avoid capture then the game starts all over.

There is another way to play that i never understood (where the person who is "it" attempts to kick the can in order to get people out... I forget the rules). I didn't like that version as much.

Incomp
2011-04-14, 10:29 PM
The version I played was a variation on Tag. You get a soda can, put in on the ground. Someone is "it" they count and everyone else hides. The person who is "It" tries to find everyone. If they are caught they go to "jail" (near the can) and wait. Eventually, someone tries to kick the can and free them. The game essentially becomes a sort of "defend the can" game. If you are tagged, you're a prisoner, but if you avoid capture then the game starts all over.

There is another way to play that i never understood (where the person who is "it" attempts to kick the can in order to get people out... I forget the rules). I didn't like that version as much.

Yes. This.

By the way, the last time I played was last summer. Not the late 19th century.

Partof1
2011-04-14, 10:29 PM
The version I knew was pretty much hide and seek home free, with the can being home.

toasty
2011-04-14, 10:32 PM
Yes. This.

By the way, the last time I played was last summer. Not the late 19th century.

I haven't played kick the can in years. The last time I remember it was my Aunt Mary's marriage, which was I feel like about 8 years ago.

Last spring I did play Steal the Bacon with some friends, we aged from 15-24 during that event. Steal the Bacon is a very, very good game if people use a bit of strategy.

Traab
2011-04-14, 10:40 PM
The way I played it was more of a can version of kicking bean bags around and doing tricks with it. You know, trying to keep it in the air with just your feet. A lot more fun for young boys because its louder than kicking a sack of husks. :p Juggle it back and forth between you with your feet, if you feel particularly show offish then you could try to do little tricks with it like heel bounces and such.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-14, 10:41 PM
Think this might be relevent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_the_can)

Zeofar
2011-04-14, 10:42 PM
The way I understand Kick-the-can is that you walk along a road and see how far the can goes as you kick it. It makes traveling less boring.

Rhydeble
2011-04-15, 01:28 AM
You guys have way more civilized versions of kick-the-can then i had.
Local rules around here meant that you had to shoot the can in between someone's legs, and if the can went through your legs everyone could kick you until you reached the safe-zone.

The_Admiral
2011-04-15, 05:36 AM
Over here it is an improvised version of sepak takraw yes it is still played here

C-Lam
2011-04-15, 10:42 AM

Yep, that's the version we played.

We played it at a school trip a couple of years ago, it was very fun.
Although we were like 12-13 years old. Although I've always though it was more of a kids game. Like hide and seek, at least in Norway it was.

Hyudra
2011-04-15, 11:20 AM

This.

Though the game I played, you didn't count. Someone (one of the hiders) kicked the can, and everyone had until the person who was 'it' found it & returned it to its spot to hide. It was an actual can though (like an empty can that once held beans, not soda) so you could get pretty good mileage, and we played in the country, so you could kick it down a hill or into bushes.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-15, 11:22 AM
We never had Kick-The-Can, it's too brutish and simple.

We do have Tumbang Preso. You have one person defending the can, and the others throw their flip-flops as hard as ****ing possible at the can.

It is very civilized.