PDA

View Full Version : Plains Elf (4e)

CrazedBanana
2011-04-14, 09:22 PM
So, I'm creating a world for a new campaign, and I one of my friends wanted to play an elf ranger, but have a First Nations, mounted fighting kind of feel. So, I decided to add a plains to the world map, and I created this race. It represents elves that have adapted to living in a large, open area. I figured that since they live in a place where anything big enough to be a threat could be spotted long before it was close enough to attack, they wouldn't need such high perception. Instead, I gave them a hardier build, to be able to survive longer with less food, and better resist the hotter, drier, and less hospitable climate.
So here you go, Plains Elf.

Plains Elf
Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'3-6'0
Average Weight: 120-180
Ability Score Bonuses: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Endurance
Languages: Elven, Common
Speed: 7
Size: Medium
Elven Weapon Proficiency: You gain Weapon Proficiency with longbows and shortbows as a bonus feat.
Plains Rider: You gain Mounted Combat as a bonus feat.
Big Game Hunter: You gain a +1 bonus to hit Large or bigger targets, and a +2 bonus while mounted.
Survivor: You require 50% less food and water than an average medium sized character, and can carry 25% more weight.

Immonen
2011-04-14, 11:22 PM
Being 4th edition, it's nigh-impossible to make an unbalanced race. You're in the clear, for the most part. However, remember that the other races get a free racial power. Also, the bonus to hit Large targets seems kind of tiny in comparison to the bonuses you get just for being 4th level, and food & water rarely are an issue in campaign. You might want to drop those in favor of a power that allows a +10 to hit a Large target, once per encounter.

DukeofDellot
2011-04-15, 12:43 PM
With the shift to dual stat choices, you might want to change that "+2 Dex, +2 Con" to "+2 Dex, +2 Con or Wis" ...Or whatever you think they might have as a choice.

You know, to make it more current (and attractive).

Lappy9000
2011-04-16, 02:35 AM
I like 'em. They look fine mechanically, minus the fact that they should get some kinda racial power. For some reason, Big Game Hunter seems quite awesome. Pretty useful too

Shadow_Elf
2011-04-17, 03:38 PM
Looks good, apart from needing split bonuses and a racial power, as others have suggested. You could give them a mobility power that gets a small bonus while mounted, like this:

Surround the Prey - Plains Elf Racial Power
You and your allies take up strategic positions to bring down a dangerous foe.
Encounter *
Move Action * Personal
Effect: You shift 2 squares. If you end this movement in a position which flanks an enemy, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses against that enemy's attacks until the end of your next turn.
Special: While mounted, you can use this power to make your mount shift instead. If you end the shift in a flanking position, both you and your mount gain the +2 bonus to all defenses against the enemy's attacks.