PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire Wielder questions

Makiru
2011-04-15, 03:58 AM
There's going to be a 3.5 game coming up and I want to play a spellfire wielder (Magic of Faerun), but I also want a reliable way to charge up instead of relying on ally or enemy casters. My thoughts turned to warlock, so an interesting question pops up: could I point an eldritch blast at my face while readying the action to absorb and still get a spellfire level, or do spell-like abilities not work/not enough actions to actually fire on myself?

Another question is if hideous blow could be applied to a spellfire melee touch attack, since spellfire does count as a weapon for feats like weapon focus?

Help me out, Playground. I'd really like to know if this could work.

Runestar
2011-04-15, 04:08 AM
it is a standard action to fire and another standard action to ready, so normal people cannot achieve this unless they can access 2 standard actions each round (say a choker).

You are going to need a warlock cohort or PC to manage this, I am afraid. :smallfrown:

Halae
2011-04-15, 04:17 AM
If you can, entice another player to play a warlock, and take the spelfire channeler prestige class. true, unless you can take a second standard action you won't be able to give yourself spellfire levels, but with a warlock buddy he can charge you up and you can be blasting buddies or some such, as well as capable of doing healing if it's needed, so the combo of you two working together means you guys will always go into an encounter at full health. With spellfire channeler and 20 constitution (nowhere near a stretch by that point of the game) you effectively hold 100 spellfire levels that aren't affected by spell resistance.

Iron golem got you down? no problem, as it's supernatural, and thus no spell resistance. Big bad about to take over the world? Stomp in literally glowing with raw magical energy and put the crackdown on his tea party. God killing abomination coming your way? shoot 60d6 worth of raw magical and fire damage into it's face.

You're best bet? take factotum. the eighth level ability gives you extra standard actions per round, and technically 'per encounter' abilities such as the inspiration points show back up every encounter or every five minutes, whichever comes first. dip warlock for a level and blast yourself to amp up your spellfire and then go to bed for the night, happy in the knowledge that cleansing fire is seconds away from your fingertips

Prime32
2011-04-15, 07:32 AM
Have a familiar with SLAs. Or go about it the other way - be a warlock, and have a familiar with Spellfire Wielder.

Makiru
2011-04-15, 06:14 PM
Well, it seems like it won't work the way that I thought. I wanted to be able to give myself spellfire levels by 4th level, since that would be the starting level of the game. I guess I could take improved familiar for a lantern archon or something. Oh, well, it was just a weird idea that I wasn't banking too much on; I got other plans for things, they just won't be as silly.

Thanks, guys.