PDA

View Full Version : Gah! Why isn't life simple....

Paganboy28
2011-04-15, 10:04 AM
So I went along to my local (ish) gaming club. However they don't play the games I play. They are totally GW focused and I have issues with GW games;

1) never ending top-trumps style faction books

2) what edition are we on now... 5th? rumours of another one round the corner...

3) Great models (mostly) but expensive and generally need lots of them

So what do I do?
Do I stick it out and try to convert people to PP Warmachine/Hordes?
Do I convert back to WHFB or 40K (then need to decide on which of those...)?
From what I observed both require lots of miniatures, fantasy possibly more than 40K. That is a large investment in funds.
I could in theory collect more than one faction so that I can get other people to play the other side, but then I am collecting a faction for someone else... and that also means splitting my funds in two between my factions (not something I really want to do).
My mate who I have roped into playing WM is not that regular and is a bit erratic how often he can play... so maybe a game once a month if I am lucky.
Do I go and collect both WM and a GW game? But again with split funds issue....
Do I give up ever trying to find players who play the games I do?

What would/do you do?

Driderman
2011-04-15, 10:18 AM
Isn't this just matter of you bringing your swanky miniatures of your particular brand of game to the club and inevitably someone will take interest in it?

I mean, gamers will, as a rule, always buy things involving miniatures after all :D

Paganboy28
2011-04-15, 01:08 PM
Well this is a plan... but when mentioned Warmachine it wasn't met favourably...

"Tried it didn't get into it..."

"Never really liked it..."

That sort of thing... lots of 40K and WHFB going on though... do I become a GW sheep again, get an army and just mill about in obscurity wishing for greener pastures?

Or stand defiantly waving the warmachine banner on my pile of elegantly painted and swanky warjacks... with nothing to do with them.

Erloas
2011-04-15, 02:20 PM
1) never ending top-trumps style faction books

2) what edition are we on now... 5th? rumours of another one round the corner...

3) Great models (mostly) but expensive and generally need lots of them

1)Fluff doesn't have anything to do with how the games play. And in every game I've played, whatever "side" a product is about always comes across as being the best. It just seems like a non-issue to me, something to complain about that doesn't actually change anything.

2) 40k is 5th edition, Fantasy is 8th edition. I haven't heard any rumors about changes to either anywhere in the near future. I would be surprised if its less then 2-3 years before rumors of a new edition have any real backing to them. Considering how long the games have been around its also not that surprising, any game with any longevity will change over time.
And as far as I'm concerned, as long as the game plays well it makes no difference to me what the edition number is.

3) The games are very clearly expensive, but thats true of most games. What I've heard is that PP's miniatures aren't really any cheaper, its just that it takes less of them to play. So while it might be cheaper, its probably not a huge amount cheaper. There is also a huge variety in cost for the various armies for Fantasy and 40k. And if cost was a primary consideration then there are a lot of games that are significantly cheaper the Warmachine/Horde

So what do I do?
Do I stick it out and try to convert people to PP Warmachine/Hordes?
Do I convert back to WHFB or 40K (then need to decide on which of those...)?
It tends to be very difficult to change a game system over for an established community. You are complaining about possibly spending $200-400 for a GW army, and a quick search shows people recommending about $150-200 to start Warmachine and that would require quite a few different people to shell that out for a new game. Not only that but you are asking them to (mostly) give up all the money they spent on the previous game, a game which they seem to enjoy.

If you have really good friends you can probably make the transition. But to go into a game shop/local group that you don't even know and get people to change, thats going to be very hard.

Your options are pretty much stop playing or play the game people locally are playing.

I couldn't even get my local group to go from 40k to Fantasy. And I love Battletech, but even having everything required for large games with multiple people, I haven't gotten people to play more then a few games. Even people that liked Battletech weren't going to give up their old game for it.